ADVERTISEMENT

Who Stops Catholic (2019 version)

footsoldier

Aug 24, 2003
Parts Unknown
Line up and take your best shots. It won’t matter what you believe unless it’s “Catholic runs the table in post-season because they are an unstoppable force of teen titans no team can unseat”. Then, of course, you would be correct. Anything else is denial especially from moaning Kings Mountain fans playing the recruit card, Huss fans.........hahahahahaha Huss fans, and Jacksonville wannabes still hoping for significance. They’ll always be the state bird just not the state champion. :D Of course best of luck to all teams in 2019 which you better pack for a trip to Keffer Stadium.

25AA5B06-CBF6-48C5-B1AB-168425A115E5_zps2czsrjrg.jpeg

Reactions: seadog28
Line up and take your best shots. It won’t matter what you believe unless it’s “Catholic runs the table in post-season because they are an unstoppable force of teen titans no team can unseat”. Then, of course, you would be correct. Anything else is denial especially from moaning Kings Mountain fans playing the recruit card, Huss fans.........hahahahahaha Huss fans, and Jacksonville wannabes still hoping for significance. They’ll always be the state bird just not the state champion. :D Of course best of luck to all teams in 2019 which you better pack for a trip to Keffer Stadium.

This seems very gracious.

If Jacksonville had open enrollment and scholarships drawing all of Onslow County...we would be perenial powers too. Heck, we bout beat you with kids from a school district with an 8 mile radius. Respect to Catholic high, probably the most well prepared team I've seen in high school, but don't act like we are not significant.

If Jacksonville had open enrollment and scholarships drawing all of Onslow County...we would be perenial powers too. Heck, we bout beat you with kids from a school district with an 8 mile radius. Respect to Catholic high, probably the most well prepared team I've seen in high school, but don't act like we are not significant.
Agreed, Totally.

Reactions: Footballaholic3232

I guess we will see!!

Reactions: splitright30trap
I am sure NCHSSA rules doesn't allow scholarships to be given in order to be apart of the NCHSAA.

I know that you private school kids don't comprehend this, but all over North Carolina there are things called Public Schools. Where the kids go to school depends on the district they live in. There are no financial aid and scholarship for public schools, they are free. Catholic may not give athletic scholarships, but they certainly give scholarships. Certainly you can see an advantage for schools who bring kids in from all over versus schools who have a limited area.

Last edited:
Reactions: BD Warrior
I know that you private school kids don't comprehend this, but all over North Carolina there are things called Public Schools. Where the kids go to school depends on the district they live in. There are no financial aid and scholarship for public schools, they are free. Catholic may not give athletic scholarships, but they certainly give scholarships. Certainly you can see an advantage for schools who bring kids in from all over versus schools who have a limited area.

At one point I had looked into trying to send my daughter there but def didn't see where I could apply for financial aid. Now,the other privates I looked at did offer financial aid based on income. She ended up at a local charter school.

I guess the better question would be, what percentage of athletes get financial aid or scholarships then. Like other posters have said,they don't have the most intimidating lineup for a team that can offer spots At their school with the educational advantages they have. And if what Catholic posters say is true about how almost everyone that plays high school over the years went to the middle school also, how did they identify the talent that early to start scholarships in middle school?

Reactions: redskins55
That's a good point. I feel however that they downplay the talent of the kids they have there. Jacksonville and Havelock last year were the 2 fastest teams I have ever seen, as far as overall speed goes. Catholic beat those 2 the last 2 state championships. You can't tell me you can do that without having some athletic talent. I actually think its a mind game they use as an advantage over their opponent. "Look at us slow 160 pound kids" then bam, the machine starts rolling.

That's a good point. I feel however that they downplay the talent of the kids they have there. Jacksonville and Havelock last year were the 2 fastest teams I have ever seen, as far as overall speed goes. Catholic beat those 2 the last 2 state championships. You can't tell me you can do that without having some athletic talent. I actually think its a mind game they use as an advantage over their opponent. "Look at us slow 160 pound kids" then bam, the machine starts rolling.
It's funny you say that because I was just talking to my friend the other day and we both agreed that Catholic had more overall team speed than kings mountain last year. Also went to the Catholic and huss game ,to me, the speed of Catholic played a big part in that win too. I never thought Catholic wasn't athletic. I would say with the ability to afford personal trainers, supplements and good nutrition, they are strong and fast. Even the years they faced crest, they seemed athletic.

I have never understood this part of the argument. How impressive did Catholic look physically? The 145 lb DBs or 185 lb LB did not seem to be that intimidating. One big RB the rest were small.

Catholic draws from an area were less than 5% of the population is Catholic. Add $12k tuition and no transportation. Makes it a little tougher.

Matchups make games Catholic was probably fifth or sixth best team in their county but most likely would have been in it to win it against them all so may be better than that but it would be tough. Mallard Creek, Vance, Myers Park, Hough, and Christian.

Last edited:
One person familiar with the Catholic program told me that it was not as much pure speed or quickness but also being in the right place at the right time and using proper fundamentals. I see smaller players that are normally quicker by nature, robo athletes, well coached, fundamentally sound, and gritty players.

A lot of posting by people that do not know the facts or history.

Athletes at Catholic are not allowed financial aid. Made well clear by the NCHSAA.

There are a lot of public schools that have players playing at schools that are not their home district school. Some are legal and others are not. Almost every school says no but I have been in the game a long time and it happens a lot. Some people just up and move, others figure out a way, while others do it illegally by various means.

That's why I'm in here, to learn. My point was public schools don't offer financial aid, for the mere fact they are free. I assumed that the athletes didn't get scholarships or they wouldn't be able to participate with public schools. That being said, I am sure the metrolina area is full of great athletes who can afford to go there. That draws from a much bigger pool then any school district east of Raleigh has. I certainly agree that kids switch school districts all the time. When Northside Jacksonville was the King around here, they got a lot of Jacksonville high kids mysteriously. Now we are back up, we are starting to see some guys from surrounding schools starting to come in. It's a shame, you see it as early as little league nowadays.

Athletes at Catholic are not allowed any form of financial aid. Correct, they do not provide scholarships for athletics.

To my knowledge Catholic has had two players receive a football scholarship to an FBS school in the last years. They have a riding senior that will move that to three. Correct me if I am wrong, Catholic folks.

To my knowledge Catholic has had two players receive a football scholarship to an FBS school in the last years. They have a riding senior that will move that to three. Correct me if I am wrong, Catholic folks.
It’ll be four. Malik McGowan committed to UNC. And McDowell the RB will go somewhere FBS

It’s actually three Power 5 players the last ten years and that may be for all of FBS, also. Hood UNC. Harrell Notre Dame. Gagnon Duke. Pretty sure, Gagnon is the only one that did not come up through Charlotte Diocese feeder schools. Gagnon moved from Cincinnati before he started high school. Brother was a stud LB at St X (Catholic powerhouse) following after Luke Kuechly.

Do you guys know if Frank Garcia ever resolved his sititution? I know when I listened to him on WFNZ he absolutely loved coaching at Catholic and loved those kids.

All I have to say is. If the football Gods align correctly. Wouldn’t it be something else if CC and Jacksonville meet again? This time on a dry field. Let’s see if all that team speed and all those athletes would make a difference. Let’s see if the best defense in any classification can pin their ears back and shut down the Cards and beat them by 21 or more like all the experts claimed they would.

All I have to say is. If the football Gods align correctly. Wouldn’t it be something else if CC and Jacksonville meet again? This time on a dry field. Let’s see if all that team speed and all those athletes would make a difference. Let’s see if the best defense in any classification can pin their ears back and shut down the Cards and beat them by 21 or more like all the experts claimed they would.
Just saying, but none of that would happen as you cannot play that game again. Both teams lost big contributors and are very different.

Reactions: footsoldier
No such thing as Football Gods just teams that get the job done Cardinal man. Teams like Catholic that enter a slovenly venue like Kenan and all four quarters, unable to make one snap from their playbook because of a trashed turf, reach in deep and bring home the bacon. Something Jacksonville just can’t do and never will against unstoppable Catholic.

Go ahead and pray to your Gods. If they’re listening they’ll send you home in the second round of post season so you’ll never feel the butthurt of playing Catholic on a clean, dry field. That’s the last thing your scrubs will ever want. How’s that runner-up plaque looking in the trophy case.

No such thing as Football Gods just teams that get the job done Cardinal man. Teams like Catholic that enter a slovenly venue like Kenan and all four quarters, unable to make one snap from their playbook because of a trashed turf, reach in deep and bring home the bacon. Something Jacksonville just can’t do and never will against unstoppable Catholic.

Go ahead and pray to your Gods. If they’re listening they’ll send you home in the second round of post season so you’ll never feel the butthurt of playing Catholic on a clean, dry field. That’s the last thing your scrubs will ever want. How’s that runner-up plaque looking in the trophy case.
You'll be happy to know that Keenan Stadium switched to AstroTurf (or whatever it's called now) this season, so field conditions shouldn't be as sloppy as in the past during bad weather.

You wont have to worry about a rematch this season between those 2 lol... Jville had their opportunity, they wont be back next yr.

Jacksonville lost a lot of kids, that's tough on any program. However, I certainly wouldn't underestimate this year's talent.

Come to think it, hopefully Havelock will underestimate us, kind of like they did with that 3 touchdown lead in the eastern Championship.

Na, lightening dont strike twice in the same place lol... We fell for that trick once, foot wont come off the neck this time lol

CC may very well win the 3A championship again. However, I believe this is the year they won’t win the Southern Carolina Conference.

CC may very well win the 3A championship again. However, I believe this is the year they won’t win the Southern Carolina Conference.
We’ve been waxing Weddington over 15 years no matter what they’ve got or where it’s played. Not concerned about them. Just another pothole we’ll thunder right over.

Reactions: scots roll
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT