ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 - Grimsley versus Catholic

There is if the school does not sign the waiver. If they sign off saying they can play then 365 rule is waived as well.
Point is its not a hard rule for CC. It was advertised as a hard rule. CC can not play or accept the athlete but they do so because its about winning at CC, not about an even playing field for all schools.

Feel bad for the countless CMS athletes that had to lose an entire year(365) transferring from a magnet program, and that don't have the option to go to any school they would like w/o penalty. The hypocrisy is astonishing. Surprised CMS would even allow this considering the number of student athletes that were declared ineligible in 2022-23 and that got the 365.

The 365 set out went away a few years for Parochials. Catholic adhered to it but Bishop and Cardinal G did not.

I personally think the Parochials should have a one year set out. I would not have an issue if the student was in the Parochial system prior to going to the public school and is a member of the Diocese. CMS has been much more strict about the legal transfers and athletic eligibilty than any other school system over the years and CC has followed their lead to some degree.

About a dozen years ago a football player completed his freshman school year at CC and went to his home public school due to what I am pretty sure was financial reasons. At the end of his sophmore school year he returned to Catholic but was told he would have to sit out a full 365 days by CC admin. I voiced to them that I thought this was unfair to the student/athlete as he had established CC as a home school freshman year and spent his full elementary life in their system.

If you remember CMS had a rule that originated from the No Child Left Behind legislation where a student established a home school day one freshman year and could always go to that school regardless of a physical move. This came up in 2007-2008 but the rule morphed into other regulations implemented.
Btango they still have the declared home school, and declared sports school. The student can transfer out of the sports school but must sit 365 if he doesn't go to his/her "home school"

Just find it very hypocritical that a student from anywhere in the county can get into CC and not have to sit, but every other student that transfers to a school that's not his home school must sit. CMS handed out 365 this year like candy at Halloween, but allows a transfer to a private school playing in a public league with no penalty. That's baffling. The player in question is a high caliber player too. Been good since pee wee basketball. Not transferring as a fresh, or a soph, but a Jr.....

The last football player to transfer had to sit because Providence would not sign.

The 365 set out went away a few years for Parochials. Catholic adhered to it but Bishop and Cardinal G did not.

I personally think the Parochials should have a one year set out. I would not have an issue if the student was in the Parochial system prior to going to the public school and is a member of the Diocese. CMS has been much more strict about the legal transfers and athletic eligibilty than any other school system over the years and CC has followed their lead to some degree.

About a dozen years ago a football player completed his freshman school year at CC and went to his home public school due to what I am pretty sure was financial reasons. At the end of his sophmore school year he returned to Catholic but was told he would have to sit out a full 365 days by CC admin. I voiced to them that I thought this was unfair to the student/athlete as he had established CC as a home school freshman year and spent his full elementary life in their system.

If you remember CMS had a rule that originated from the No Child Left Behind legislation where a student established a home school day one freshman year and could always go to that school regardless of a physical move. This came up in 2007-2008 but the rule morphed into other regulations implemented.
365 rule is still in place by choice. They still need a waiver to play.

Btango they still have the declared home school, and declared sports school. The student can transfer out of the sports school but must sit 365 if he doesn't go to his/her "home school"

Just find it very hypocritical that a student from anywhere in the county can get into CC and not have to sit, but every other student that transfers to a school that's not his home school must sit. CMS handed out 365 this year like candy at Halloween, but allows a transfer to a private school playing in a public league with no penalty. That's baffling. The player in question is a high caliber player too. Been good since pee wee basketball. Not transferring as a fresh, or a soph, but a Jr.....
Not true. Hough has kids transfer all the time and not sit out. Including a RB from Olympic’s district. Spare me this “not fair” crap.

All you do is look for stuff to complain about with CC. AK signed off on the waiver to make him eligible. Period. Not sure what is so hard to understand. This is your M-O though. Complain about what you perceive is not fair.

I am a aware but not the same thing as it was pre 2007-08. The "home" school was set up so regardless of where the student lived in Meck County he could attend the school he started day one freshman year but provided his own transportation. That was not part of the Student Transportation Zones that were put in place which really did not make many changes to sports success. The "home" school at that time was all part of federal legislation and the federal busing lawsuits.

CMS handed out 365 this year like candy at Halloween, but allows a transfer to a private school playing in a public league with no penalty.
CMS has nothing to do with it. Catholic is following the NCHSAA rules now in place.

In 2008 the Citizens Committe On Eligibility looked at making it much more strict including to physically move and play sports for 365 days. Some with more sensible minds that understood the system spoke up plus the then assistant superintendent put his Duke Law degree to use and said, "we lose in federal and state court if we implement that." Remember, that AS took the superintendent job for Guilford County and stated that the issues he saw with residency there were as bad or worse than Meck. This was just after the 2007-08 craziness so that should tell us all something.

Let it be known, that the school bigdadd follows got busted and was forced to forfeit wins for ineligible players. Hypocritical much?

All you do is look for stuff to complain about with CC. AK signed off on the waiver to make him eligible. Period. Not sure what is so hard to understand. This is your M-O though. Complain about what you perceive is not fair.
Its not fair. Its hypocrisy. They dont have to sit out when transferring to a non-home school. Not sure why you don't get it. CMS had numerous athletes get 365 for transfers involving magnet schools.

This is why privates should not play with publics. Privates have an entirely different set of rules that are not as strict as public schools.

If a student moves into Hough's zone they are eligible. Nothing you nor I can do about that. Hough is not a magnet school, so you have to move into their district. You dont have to move into CC district to be able to play and there is no hard 365 rule for them so they can accept any student from anywhere in the county. Hough can not do that. Just like a parent chooses to attend CC, a parent can choose to legally attend Hough if they move in their district.

CMS has nothing to do with it. Catholic is following the NCHSAA rules now in place.

In 2008 the Citizens Committe On Eligibility looked at making it much more strict including to physically move and play sports for 365 days. Some with more sensible minds that understood the system spoke up plus the then assistant superintendent put his Duke Law degree to use and said, "we lose in federal and state court if we implement that." Remember, that AS took the superintendent job for Guilford County and stated that the issues he saw with residency there were as bad or worse than Meck. This was just after the 2007-08 craziness so that should tell us all something.
It should be a hard 365 when going from public to a private or parochial playing against public schools. If not then whats the point?

Its not fair. Its hypocrisy. They dont have to sit out when transferring to a non-home school. Not sure why you don't get it. CMS had numerous athletes get 365 for transfers involving magnet schools.

This is why privates should not play with publics. Privates have an entirely different set of rules that are not as strict as public schools.

If a student moves into Hough's zone they are eligible. Nothing you nor I can do about that. Hough is not a magnet school, so you have to move into their district. You dont have to move into CC district to be able to play and there is no hard 365 rule for them so they can accept any student from anywhere in the county. Hough can not do that. Just like a parent chooses to attend CC, a parent can choose to legally attend Hough if they move in their district.
You fail to read my post. Unless the school they are coming from signs a waiver then the student CANNOT play. Pretty simple. AK signed the waiver so he plays. Had they decided not to, like Providence a couple years ago then he sits. Simple.

You are missing the issue. CMS has more stringent rules than the NCHSAA requires. That has been the problem for years. The 2.0 GPA rule. That rule being enforced on incoming freshmen and not giving them a clean slate. Leave the magnet program at your non home school after three years there since day one freshman year but cannot play sports for 365. Get the picture, it is CMS.

The 1996 WC forfeits were for the reason mentioned above on the magnet. He may have been a junior but had been at WC his whole high school career. That was a CMS rule that no other school system had.

Let it be known, that the school bigdadd follows got busted and was forced to forfeit wins for ineligible players. Hypocritical much?
Let it be known I've never advocated for private schools in public leagues because of this. I've never advocated for lying on residency. If your school has no boundaries and restricted enrollment they dont have these issues that public schools have. These are sports based transfers so parents will do what they feel is best for their child.

You feel bad because you know that CC gets sports related transfers just like the public schools. Spare me the holier than thou stuff. With no boundary, the minimum is a child sitting 365 when transferring to any private/parochial. Dont worry CC will be crying to get back to 2A/3A ball next alignment. 4A hasnt been as kind

• Haha
Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Let it be known I've never advocated for private schools in public leagues because of this. I've never advocated for lying on residency. If your school has no boundaries and restricted enrollment they dont have these issues that public schools have. These are sports based transfers so parents will do what they feel is best for their child.

You feel bad because you know that CC gets sports related transfers just like the public schools. Spare me the holier than thou stuff. With no boundary, the minimum is a child sitting 365 when transferring to any private/parochial. Dont worry CC will be crying to get back to 2A/3A ball next alignment. 4A hasnt been as kind
Just like WC moving down to 3A LOL ok.

You are missing the issue. CMS has more stringent rules than the NCHSAA requires. That has been the problem for years. The 2.0 GPA rule. That rule being enforced on incoming freshmen and not giving them a clean slate. Leave the magnet program at your non home school after three years there since day one freshman year but cannot play sports for 365. Get the picture, it is CMS.

The 1996 WC forfeits were for the reason mentioned above on the magnet. He may have been a junior but had been at WC his whole high school career. That was a CMS rule that no other school system had.
Agree fully with CMS penalty. You have to have stricter rules in CMS or Charlotte would win every major sport pretty easily and player movement would be worse. The true issue is parents. They are going to do what they feel is best for their child be it band, chess, math or sports.

You can leave a magnet after three years but must return to your home school. If you go to another magnet or another unfilled school you must sit 365. 365 from public to private is pretty basic and is a low bar for private schools with no boundaries.

You do know WC got a new school and enrollment was controlled while they were doing construction and that WC has been 4A 99% of the time it was a high school and predicted will return to 4A?

CC went from auto championships to first and 2nd round exit in 4A. Yall will be crying to get back to 2A/3A ball. That way the Mecklenburg/York/Gaston/Cabarrus district Cougars can have a chance.

It is amazing how people try to make a huge problem out of a problem that does not exist. bigdadd is saying sports related transfers happen by kids coming to Catholic "all the time". That is a complete BS lie. An impactful football player "IE a decent starter" may transfer into Catholic from a local public school once every 5 to 10 years. It just DOES NOT happen with any regularity. It's not like Hough where multiple D1 players show up every year from all over the city. PLEASE bigdadd give me examples of all these kids transferring into Catholic for athletics? We are all better off with you just being silent when you don't know what you are talking about versus you just making stuff up.

CC has de facto boundaries of religion and tuition as well. CC loses way more transfers than they gain mainly due to these two reasons.

Reactions: btango
You can leave a magnet after three years but must return to your home school. If you go to another magnet or another unfilled school you must sit 365. 365 from public to private is pretty basic and is a low bar for private schools with no boundaries.
That is not as indepth as I was referencing. You can remain at WC but leave the magnet program. At that point you are no longer eligible at WC because you are not in the magnet program but the regular curriculum student body. You can return to your home school and are immediately eligible or you can stay at the school you have been at since day one freshman year but now you have to sit 365. I challenged that with it should be once the sophomore year is completed and expected the answer to be junior year completion.

I used to have a problem with Catholic playing in a public school league. Mainly because we couldn’t beat them . Do they have an advantage?… maybe a little , but when you get to the playoffs and have to play against counties with open enrollment.. I mean what’s the point? Not to mention all the fake transfers that go on in the public schools every year anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT