ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 - Grimsley versus Catholic

jojr01

Apr 11, 2021
May as well get this one started. This game will be interesting on a number of levels. Playoffs are about matchups and this game will definitely be a contrast in styles. Credit Grimsley for being undefeated with some good teams on their schedule. They are coming into the game confident, but Grimsley won't score 69 points against Catholic. (Catholic might take an L but don't think I am setting myself up to eat crow on this one.) They simply won't get that many possessions. Grimsley is also not going to be chasing rabbits all over the field. Catholic will slow the game down and make them play in a phone booth. The corners and DBs better like playing in the box because they are going to have to make plays. Rabbit chasers typically don't like downhill, head on contact for 4 quarters, so the Whirlies' defensive versatility is going to be tested. They are also used to scoring 30 points in a half and if they look to the scoreboard at halftime and only see one or two touchdowns, or less, it will definitely affect their confidence. This year, Catholic has also demonstrated the ability to throw the ball on top of their traditional smash mouth approach. They have a D1 QB commit, a TE commit to Notre Dame as well as other passing targets and are not one dimensional. Their defense has been a little porous but they have faced some of the best passing offenses in the state in Providence Day and Butler. If they get a couple of stops in the first half, Grimsley will be in trouble. At this stage, the margin of error shrinks. Turnovers, mistakes and penalties become even more critical and a bad quarter can have you cleaning out the lockers for the season. Reality is that it will probably take 4, probably five touchdowns to win this game but it will definitely be a contrast in styles. Good luck to both teams. Interested in other's thoughts on this one.

The key used to be if you got Catholic behind the chains and forced them into obvious passing situations it would bode well for the defense. The tight end is a man among boys and will attack the ball in the air. If Grimsley has any sort of passing attack in they should move the ball on offense. The counter to that is Catholic faced some high level D1 recruits at QB this year.

Catholics DBs the last couple of years were exceptional! Have not seen them this season but they did all the fundamentals correct, were aggressive on the receiver and the ball. Length/height and a well placed jump ball would be a key ingredient to beating that group's coverage.

Reactions: jojr01
Grimsley strong suit is passing to their two tall Wrs 3&8.
Catholic faced good QBs and D1 receivers from Butler, Providence Day and Hickory Ridge. They all caused problems, even when literally blanketed and double covered. A 5' 7" high school DB, even when positioned and executing perfectly, will struggle against 6' 3" D1 talent. I saw Catholic blitz for the first time this season against Reagan. They will need to do more of that to disrupt the QB this Friday. Still think it will take 4-5 TDs to win this one.

Grimsley has an extremely adaptable offense. Two 6-3 junior receivers on the outside with multiple D1 offers in Taylor and Anderson. Three players in the backfield, including the QB, who along with the two receivers can score any time they touch the ball. Throw in a 6-5, 240 TE who a Cornell signee and that’s any DC’s nightmare.

Defense is led by 6-6, 355 UGA signee paired with another 6-3, 315 DT and with big athletic MLB (6-2, 220). Pressure from the edge by sophomore 6-5, 240 DE who already has a UGA offer. (Kirby Smart loves landing his chopper at midfield of Jamieson Stadium). Lots of speed and athleticism in the secondary and they love to hit.

It will take a minimum of 30 points to beat the Whirlies this year. Should be the game of the week in NC.

This match up has the makings to be really good and really close. Here is why. Grimsley's defense is big and physical up front. Stopping the run is their strength. Catholic can wear them out though, they are big and used to getting off the field quick, so if CC can move the chains, those big boys on the ghs defensive front can get winded. Catholic needs to be prepared to throw the ball a decent bit, Grimsley's weakness on D is the secondary. The QB is undersized, quick, and shifty, and has an above average serviceable arm with some touch. The two D1 receivers are 6'3 and physical, they go to them early and often. The RB is 5'7 with footspeed, and if he breaks loose, good luck catching him. The key is bottling him up, and making the QB get uncomfortable. We noticed pretty quickly that Grimsley offensive line is undersized and not super athletic, so CC might be able to exploit some weakness there. If CC is able to control the ball and score, wearing out the G defensive front, and just do enough to put the offense off a bit. it will be a 35-34 type of game. Whoever makes mistakes loses, imho. Everyone always talks about CC is really good until they face a team that has athletes and is more physical than them, well Grimsley has the hosses, will they put it together though? Should be a great spectacle!

Last edited:
What is concerning about it being a good game is Grimsley barely beat Reagan and Catholic just blew them out.
Yeah, I could also seeing it being like 35-21. and it could go either way... like i said, it depends on who makes mistakes

Don’t see Catholic beating themselves but anything could happen.
This is high school ball we are talking about. Catholic has made plenty of mistakes in the past. Yes, they are fundamentally sound and disciplined, but lets be real. If Catholic wants to win by a TD or two, they will need to not make mistakes, if they do, it will be close and you don't want to give Grimsley offense more chances to score.

Reactions: sasha_nc
This is high school ball we are talking about. Catholic has made plenty of mistakes in the past. Yes, they are fundamentally sound and disciplined, but lets be real. If Catholic wants to win by a TD or two, they will need to not make mistakes, if they do, it will be close and you don't want to give Grimsley offense more chances to score.
That’s why I said “anything could happen”.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Fascinating game. CC offense is as good as I have seen since I started watching in 2010, defense maybe the worst. Don't know anything about Grimsley. We are 50-50 on really high end teams (Butler, Independence, Hickory Ridge and Providence Day). All of those games were one point differences. We shall see.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen Grimsley since we played there a few years back… are they still a run heavy team?

Just very different run styles. Spread v Wing. 2 big wideouts v receiving TEs

This game looks like one of the top matchups to see. Interesting to see how this one turns out.

Grimsley has an extremely adaptable offense. Two 6-3 junior receivers on the outside with multiple D1 offers in Taylor and Anderson. Three players in the backfield, including the QB, who along with the two receivers can score any time they touch the ball. Throw in a 6-5, 240 TE who a Cornell signee and that’s any DC’s nightmare.

Defense is led by 6-6, 355 UGA signee paired with another 6-3, 315 DT and with big athletic MLB (6-2, 220). Pressure from the edge by sophomore 6-5, 240 DE who already has a UGA offer. (Kirby Smart loves landing his chopper at midfield of Jamieson Stadium). Lots of speed and athleticism in the secondary and they love to hit.

It will take a minimum of 30 points to beat the Whirlies this year. Should be the game of the week in NC.
Don't believe CC can see more than they've already seen on the offensive side of the ball. They went up against Providence Day, with 5 Star QB Jadyn Davis, along with 2, 4 Star WR'S who are long and tall, Huge OL, and Chad Grier who's one of the TOP OC's around. CC is very efficient at clock management. They kept PD offense off the field, which is why the game was so close. They'll need to keep Grimsley's explosive offense off the field. Looking forward to an awesome game.

Last edited:
I said it last week after the Reagan game, Catholic will upset #1 seed Grimsley. I've jumped on the band wagon... I see Catholic vs East Forsyth in a few weeks and that's when it all ends.
So what's your pickin' record now, something like 1-46 ? There may be a crowd in Charlotte that can beat Grimsley, but I don't think Catholic will be victorious in this particular event. Much respect to Charlotte Catholic and they're good, but Grimsley is real good.. By how many more points do you think Charlotte Catholic will score over Greensboro Grimsley ?
P.S. What kind of wine do you consume ? If you'd prefer not to answer, I can dig it.
P.S.S. I hope Foot Soldier shows up on this thread. What a funny, although at times infinitely obnoxious, dude.

I said it last week after the Reagan game, Catholic will upset #1 seed Grimsley. I've jumped on the band wagon... I see Catholic vs East Forsyth in a few weeks and that's when it all ends.
I hope you are correct, but in all honesty with CC's defensive limitations I think the cream of the crop in Charlotte are Chambers, Hough and Mallard Creek. Just below those teams are Butler, Independence and Catholic. Don't know what to think about undefeated Olympic because their schedule was so weak. Olympic gets Independence this Friday which will tell us a lot more about them.

I'm pulling for the Cougars! Dudley and Catholic has great respect of one another's programs. We had some battles! Yeah I know I should pull for a fellow Greensboro team. But I'm with the Cougars by 14
I'm gonna bet you ain't originally from Greensboro, and/or you're rather young in years, because if you were rather long in the tooth, you'd know damn well to pull for the Greensboro squad. Greensboro vs. Charlotte athletic events has been a decades long rivalry, whether the Queen City crowd will admit to it, but it certainly is a rivalry. I wonder who Mister Pirate is pullin' for in this particular event.
P.S. Best of luck to the Dudley Panthers over South Point.

• Haha
Reactions: SPRaiders78
I'm gonna bet you ain't originally from Greensboro, and/or you're rather young in years, because if you were rather long in the tooth, you'd know damn well to pull for the Greensboro squad. Greensboro vs. Charlotte athletic events has been a decades long rivalry, whether the Queen City crowd will admit to it, but it certainly is a rivalry. I wonder who Mister Pirate is pullin' for in this particular event.
P.S. Best of luck to the Dudley Panthers over South Point.
I'm not picking Grimsley or pulling for them, but I do think they can win this one. If I were in attendance, I would 100% sit on the Catholic side. I know the whole Charlotte vs Greensboro rivalry has been a thing for many many years, but this is Grimsley we are talking about. I just can't do it here. Also, I could see Dudley fans not really wanting to pull for them either, based on past transgressions. It is what it is. I feel like Grimsley is on their own a lot in a match up like this, Page and Dudley are in the same boat.

I'm pulling for the Cougars! Dudley and Catholic has great respect of one another's programs. We had some battles! Yeah I know I should pull for a fellow Greensboro team. But I'm with the Cougars by 14
Thank you Dudley ! Much respect to the Dudley program. One of the few teams that that gotten the edge on Catholic 3-1. You guys still running that catfish fryer ? Believe that one of my brother's favorite concessions.

This game is might be like the 2016 East Forsyth and Catholic game. Both teams literally had to outscore each other because both offenses where getting whatever they wanted.

I'm not picking Grimsley or pulling for them, but I do think they can win this one. If I were in attendance, I would 100% sit on the Catholic side. I know the whole Charlotte vs Greensboro rivalry has been a thing for many many years, but this is Grimsley we are talking about. I just can't do it here. Also, I could see Dudley fans not really wanting to pull for them either, based on past transgressions. It is what it is. I feel like Grimsley is on their own a lot in a match up like this, Page and Dudley are in the same boat.
lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT