ADVERTISEMENT

Who designed this Live Feed

Footballnc71

Mar 26, 2021
God save us all , hopefully we get back to a normal way of life to where we don’t have to depend on this live feed lol! I’ve been able to see maybe a game and a half out of 3 games. On fourth and one the other night he’s filming the concession stand on the other end of the field ,looks back play is over lol! It’s so ridiculous, actual picture is snowy somewhat .Im glad my dog eat my debit card , opening my new card will now prevent them from robbing me again lol!Honestly very unprofessional , almost forgot it never shows the score , thought for a while 21 was gonna be the year for defense in nc, it always 0 to 0 .

Reactions: Swain97 and BK13T-$
I have to say I enjoy the Maroon Devil Network. Gary and Coach White do a great job commentating and the camera is always on the action.

Cleveland County does a good job. But the camera work is not great at times. And they do not always show the score. South Point never has sound. I wish schools would keep using YouTube so you could go back and watch later. Burns used it for volleyball but then switched to the county streaming site. Burns is the only school I know of that has sound for JV and varsity football.

I understand that more schools using YouTube or nfhs is up due to covid restrictions but I hope they keep it up there are folks with disabilities who can't go to a game and some like me who has a disability some weeks have a bad week or that day and can't go plus I know people who graduated from my high school who moved far away but who keep up with the schools sports listening on the radio who would like to be able to watch.
But yes while I appreciate it the quality on some is very bad and apparently they have the camera on some kinda automated system that follows motion so it's bad to miss what's going on in the case of a long pass seems like a person operating the camera would be best.
The best I've seen so far was when Mitchell played Smoky Mtn they had great picture quality and camera angles if a school wants to improve they need to go and look at whatever they're doing.

Reactions: Swain97
Yea Swain 97, I agree, the MDN is great for a HS broadcast & Coach White & Gary Ayers do a fine job narrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatDad312
There seems to be two basic competing systems- Hudl and NFHS-Pixellot- both are using automated cameras that track the ball. NFHS was giving the cameras to the schools in exchange for agreeing to broadcast on their network. Unfortunately, it seems that on plays that occur close to the end zones the system has difficulty picking up the action downfield. It also seems that they work much better in gymnasiums than stadiums. The games that I have watched, internet signal quality at a lot of stadiums is poorer than their gym. Also much like their manual video cousins, some cameras are mounted around locations at the press box that get blocked by the structure as they pan towards the end zones. Broadcasts on YouTube, by and large, seem to have much better video quality. I've watched parts of a couple of Brevard's and the video is clear as a bell and they even have commercials inserted. Also it is up to the coach whether the video is left up On Demand or archived on YouTube to watch later. Some don't want their videos out there for possible future opponents to see.

There seems to be two basic competing systems- Hudl and NFHS-Pixellot- both are using automated cameras that track the ball. NFHS was giving the cameras to the schools in exchange for agreeing to broadcast on their network. Unfortunately, it seems that on plays that occur close to the end zones the system has difficulty picking up the action downfield. It also seems that they work much better in gymnasiums than stadiums. The games that I have watched, internet signal quality at a lot of stadiums is poorer than their gym. Also much like their manual video cousins, some cameras are mounted around locations at the press box that get blocked by the structure as they pan towards the end zones. Broadcasts on YouTube, by and large, seem to have much better video quality. I've watched parts of a couple of Brevard's and the video is clear as a bell and they even have commercials inserted. Also it is up to the coach whether the video is left up On Demand or archived on YouTube to watch later. Some don't want their videos out there for possible future opponents to see.
Mitchell's YouTube seems to use the automated camera as well the picture is fine but like you say it doesn't follow some action particularly long passes , I'll have the radio on so they can tell me what happened. I believe they'd be better off using a manual camera with a camera operator. Like I've mentioned before if I was a school wanting to do broadcast games in the future I'd go visit Smoky Mtn and see how they set up their cameras that's the best quality and camera angles I've seen and they just use their own youtube channel without having to go though nfhs.

Reactions: Swain97
As many have said a wide mix of good video, bad video, play by play, no play by play. If like basketball schools where allowed to use whatever service they wanted in the regular season. NFHS, Hudl, Qwickcut, you tube, face book, etc. I could type for days all the nfhsnetwork issues, what a SCAM!!!! Motion cameras, no scoreboards, timers on games, less than 10% of money to schools, etc. But once the playoffs start the NCHSAA says they own the rights to all the broadcast. They get money from nfhsnetwork so they say you must use that. If you used nfhsnetwork there was no additional cost in basketball. If you did not have that you had to make a request, get approved and then pay 250 per game. If game was on the road and the opponent had nfhs you where denied. So your fans had to pay 17.99 a month for that game. Total scam and using a sub par product. My sons school paid 500 in state playoff fees, also being denied 2x to provide a service during this crazy time, SMH!!!!!

Broadcast Post-Season Request Form
VIDEO STREAMING & TELEVISION BROADCASTS: The media rights to all NCHSAA post-season events, including playoffs and State Championships, are held by the NCHSAA. Sinclair Broadcasting Group has purchased the exclusive rights to produce and distribute the Football and Basketball State Championships. They also have the right of first refusal on any playoff contest in those two sports for the duration of their contract with the NCHSAA.

The NCHSAA also has an agreement in place with the NFHS Network that cedes the remaining portion on NCHSAA post-season events media rights to the NFHS Network. Per our agreement with them, they would have the next choice of games during the football and basketball playoffs after Sinclair. They have first right of refusal on all other sports during the playoffs.

If both Sinclair and NFHS Network or any of their affiliated content producers, decline to produce an event, third-party groups can request to broadcast NCHSAA playoff contests through the online form found above.

Once that form is completed and the events clear the first refusal phase of the process, third-party broadcasts will be approved. There is a fee associated with broadcasting or streaming the video of any NCHSAA playoff contest. For football, that fee for live streaming internet video is $500 per game, per our contract with the NFHS Network. That fee applies to any video production not EXCLUSIVELY carried on the NFHS Network.

Other sports have lower fees, please contact the NCHSAA if you have questions about the cost for any one particular event or the NFHS Network. Schools or third-party content producers that produce games for distribution exclusively through the NFHS Network will have their fees waived by the NCHSAA.

RADIO OR AUDIO-ONLY BROADCASTS: The NCHSAA holds the media rights to all NCHSAA post-season events including playoffs and State Championships. Stations seeking to broadcast an audio-only or radio broadcast of any post-season contest should pay the appropriate fee to the host school prior to the start of the contest. In football and basketball, the radio rights fee is $100 per game. The fee for radio in all other sports is $50 per game.

Because the NCHSAA holds the rights to all post-season play, no station can be denied the opportunity to broadcast a playoff contest by any member school without approval of the Association.
With written application to the Association, a non-commercial telecast may have the rights fees waived under certain circumstances. Please contact the NCHSAA with any questions

Guess 41 million doesn't go as far as it used to. Need that broadcast money to make ends meet.

Mitchell's YouTube seems to use the automated camera as well the picture is fine but like you say it doesn't follow some action particularly long passes , I'll have the radio on so they can tell me what happened. I believe they'd be better off using a manual camera with a camera operator. Like I've mentioned before if I was a school wanting to do broadcast games in the future I'd go visit Smoky Mtn and see how they set up their cameras that's the best quality and camera angles I've seen and they just use their own youtube channel without having to go though nfhs.
Tuscola has the Hudl cameras and aired on a YouTube channel they created when VB started last fall. There were inquiries about synching their online basketball pxp with the video but the current equipment and software being used wasn't compatable. I've watched a couple of N. Henderson's casts on NFHS. The video quality wasn't that good but on one game the stadium PA announcer obviously had a direct audio input into the stream. The 2nd game had a pxp announcer crew. I'll have to check Mitchell's channel out. It would be nice to see a master list of WNC schools and their online outlets. I know Cherokee has a YouTube channel up and running. Swain has had one for some time. Franklin has a network but I'm not sure of the platform. Buncombe Co. all seem to be NFHS. Christ School has YouTube channel with great picture quality but the student announcers-ugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT