ADVERTISEMENT

Upset Picks

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Let me hear your potential upset choices for round 1. I know that there are some match ups in which the higher seed winning wouldn't really be thought of as an upset, but for the purposes of this post, let's stick with upsets by seeds only.

I think #20 St. Pauls 6-3 will take care of #13 Greene Central 9-1. I haven't been sold on GC all year, even with their 8-0 start. It's the subpar schedule for me, in which my school is a part of. They do have an outstanding defense though, but then again, is that because of the opponents? And although I'm not counting St Pauls as a world beater, I do believe that they are better than anyone that GC has played. And SP is coming off of consecutive state championship and eastern finals appearances. I think that experience will serve them well vs a team that is not accustomed to big games just yet.

I think #17 Eastern Wayne 6-4 takes down #16 Trask 7-3. I don't think Trask did anything wrong this season. It's just that EW's 4 losses came against teams with a combined 35-5 record. Those 4 teams were elite teams in the east this year. But then again, the teams that they beat were just terrible. They didn't play anyone that was just...good. Their opponents were wither terrible or elite, and they played it perfectly by beating the bad ones and losing to the great ones. Trask is good, so who knows how this will play out? My gut tells me EW.

And I'll go ahead and say it...I have #19 SW Edgecombe 4-6 over #14 Holmes 7-3.. We've done it before, as a #15, defeating #2 East Duplin, so why not again? Lol. I'm joking. There is no way we will be able to keep up with them offensively.

I don't know enough about the west to make predictions, but I can't wait to hear other opinions.

I remember covering the ED/SWE game you mention above. This was in 2012 when the state was using the pod system and had the East and West divided in two different regions based on geography. Each pod had 8 teams as best I recall.

ED was seeded #3 and SWE was #6 in the Eastern Pod based on the NCHSAA website. SWE did win 30-26.

Let me hear your potential upset choices for round 1. I know that there are some match ups in which the higher seed winning wouldn't really be thought of as an upset, but for the purposes of this post, let's stick with upsets by seeds only.

I think #20 St. Pauls 6-3 will take care of #13 Greene Central 9-1. I haven't been sold on GC all year, even with their 8-0 start. It's the subpar schedule for me, in which my school is a part of. They do have an outstanding defense though, but then again, is that because of the opponents? And although I'm not counting St Pauls as a world beater, I do believe that they are better than anyone that GC has played. And SP is coming off of consecutive state championship and eastern finals appearances. I think that experience will serve them well vs a team that is not accustomed to big games just yet.

I think #17 Eastern Wayne 6-4 takes down #16 Trask 7-3. I don't think Trask did anything wrong this season. It's just that EW's 4 losses came against teams with a combined 35-5 record. Those 4 teams were elite teams in the east this year. But then again, the teams that they beat were just terrible. They didn't play anyone that was just...good. Their opponents were wither terrible or elite, and they played it perfectly by beating the bad ones and losing to the great ones. Trask is good, so who knows how this will play out? My gut tells me EW.

And I'll go ahead and say it...I have #19 SW Edgecombe 4-6 over #14 Holmes 7-3.. We've done it before, as a #15, defeating #2 East Duplin, so why not again? Lol. I'm joking. There is no way we will be able to keep up with them offensively.

I don't know enough about the west to make predictions, but I can't wait to hear other opinions.
I agree with you @SWE'98 about St Paul's. Greene Central has a good football team this year but this is sort of new ground for them. St Paul's has been here. But I think it will be a good close game. GC has a big RB but if St Paul's can contain him it changes what they can do.

I see it, “Choppa”, so who is they?
Shelby fans and people betting on them.

The defense hasn't improved and the offense has lost some steam. The back up receivers are not catching the cold either. It's like trying to win a video game with the basic gun or the mini sword, where all your power ups are gone, or you couldn't get them.

FHS is like playing Kings Mtn Jr. not at full strength. You saw how that turned out at full strength.

Shelby fans and people betting on them.

The defense hasn't improved and the offense has lost some steam. The back up receivers are not catching the cold either. It's like trying to win a video game with the basic gun or the mini sword, where all your power ups are gone, or you couldn't get them.

FHS is like playing Kings Mtn Jr. not at full strength. You saw how that turned out at full strength.
Nah, seriously, you are correct This season has been a major bust and disappointment, shocking. However, I think Shelby is going to steal one in Marshville. Tall task, though. I saw those highlights you posted. The Yellowjackets definitely look the part, no doubt.

Shelby is going to take forest hill to the Woodshed.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Just wondered if it was a tight game throughout or if one or the other made a comeback.

You’re right though…. It’s a done deal.
We were up a couple scores and had a strip of #20 that went 80 yards and they blew it dead which would have put us up 3 TDs and them to bed. Terrible call. They scored and made it close.

We were up a couple scores and had a strip of #20 that went 80 yards and they blew it dead which would have put us up 3 TDs and them to bed. Terrible call. They scored and made it close.

Just wondered if it was a tight game throughout or if one or the other made a comeback.

You’re right though…. It’s a done deal.
West Lincoln rushed for just over 400 yds according to Max Preps but the Bearcats stopped them when it counted. Eric Rasheed made the big plays all night on offense and defense for Hendersonville

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT