ADVERTISEMENT

West Lincoln Mason Avery

A big congratulations to M. Avery... Many posters do not want to hear my stories because it puts them to sleep, but I'd ask you to indulge me on this one. Around ten years ago, some of the posters were picking at Charlotte Catholic alumnus "Footsoldier" (who rarely leaves post anymore). They were telling him that Catholic played country club schools, in particular Charlotte Country Day. Footsoldier challenged them to drive there and watch Country Day play and it would change their minds about just how tough they really are.

I hadn't seen them either so I drove down to watch them play. It was on a Saturday night in 2013 and they were playing Catholic at Country Day. I got there just before the game started and when CD took the field their players sprinted out. From kickoff to the final buzzer it looked like all their players gave 100 percent.

Catholic had more talent than CD, with Elijah Hood as their standout back who was a punishing runner. CD defenders reminded me of a bunch of yellow jackets attacking him and trying to bring him down. Catholic won the game by a single point, seems like it was 21-20 or 31-30. Since then, Charlotte Country Day has changed coaches and have had some leaner seasons but Footsoldier was right. That was the hardest playing team I've seen.

West Lincoln's Avery plays like the Country Day guys did, that year. He plays one way and that's with a full head of steam and he doesn't stop until the game is over. He gives it every thing he's got. Any accolades that he might receive has certainly been earned.

Good luck the rest of they way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT