ADVERTISEMENT

West Lincoln’s Historical Game

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
Friends, I just wanted to mention that when West Lincoln defeated Ashe County by a score of 48-6, this past Friday night, it was their first football playoff win in school history.
Congratulations on a victory that has been a long time coming. Seems like they always draw some unbeatable foe (Shelby), in the first round, and that’s when their season comes to an end.

This next game will be a real challenge for them as South Point comes calling. They are a
championship program and know so well what post-season competition really is. WL is going to have to put forth a special effort to have any chance of winning.

I’m obviously a Lincolnton sort and don’t want to come off as pretending to be a West Lincoln fan, since our team didn’t make the playoffs, but I do wish them success, as I do other Lincoln County teams; well, maybe not all of them, but they lost out Friday, to the mighty Burns Bulldogs.
Anyway, I just felt like such a momentous win deserves some recognition.

Now that is most positive news and something everyone associated with the West Lincoln program should be very proud. Congrats!!:):):):)

The Mule, I’d forgot, but they drew Reidsville in a first round game, year before last and lost big. Again an awful first round draw for West.

On a side note, this is some old guy talk (me being the old guy, not you). I don’t know if you’ve ever been in western Lincoln County, but the landscape looks a whole lot like the part of Rockingham County that I’ve seen, which is along the route from Winston-Salem up to Reidsville.

The Mule, I’d forgot, but they drew Reidsville in a first round game, year before last and lost big. Again an awful first round draw for West.

On a side note, this is some old guy talk (me being the old guy, not you). I don’t know if you’ve ever been in western Lincoln County, but the landscape looks a whole lot like the part of Rockingham County that I’ve seen, which is along the route from Winston-Salem up to Reidsville.

Yes, very similar terrain. I have a cousin that was head coach at North Gaston years ago and later an assistant at South Point so I have been in that part of the world for games before. Very nice country and some very friendly people.

I hate to admit it but I have several years on you. I am most definitely the oldest of the Reidsville posters. Saw my first Reidsville state championship team play in 1950.:eek::eek:

Edited to note I also saw Asheville Lee Edwards High's and later Cherryville resident Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice play in Kenan Stadium. Not many of us around who can remember those days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ooooner
Yes, very similar terrain. I have a cousin that was head coach at North Gaston years ago and later an assistant at South Point so I have been in that part of the world for games before. Very nice country and some very friendly people.

I hate to admit it but I have several years on you. I am most definitely the oldest of the Reidsville posters. Saw my first Reidsville state championship team play in 1950.:eek::eek:

Edited to note I also saw Asheville Lee Edwards High's and later Cherryville resident Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice play in Kenan Stadium. Not many of us around who can remember those days.
1950! That’s blows me away! The Mule is still in the game! I have tons of respect! My dad is 80 and still riding that tractor and working that land!... he won’t go near a computer or cell phone though!

Was “Choo Choo” good? Lol

1950! That’s blows me away! The Mule is still in the game! I have tons of respect! My dad is 80 and still riding that tractor and working that land!... he won’t go near a computer or cell phone though!

Was “Choo Choo” good? Lol

Tell your dad to keep riding that tractor and working that land! I've been doing the same for more than 70 years - except we had real "mules" when I was growing up!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Sorry to derail the subject but Mr Lincolnton I hear tell retirement is coming up?

what is Lincoln county gonna do without ya man?

one of the finest people you’ll ever meet ! He paces at the games even more than I do ha ha

Reactions: ocdavis31
Mr. Lincolnton is one cool dude...met him a few yrs ago at a Reidsville/Lincolnton game....a real high school football fan....................and I bet I can outpace you both.....but my worst pacing is watching my almost 13 year old grandson at his travel baseball games.....lol....................

Fellers, it's good to hear from all of you. I do envy you, looking forward to your teams playing. There's just something about this time of year when the air gets chilly and you can smell the leaves and grass and looking to the next round of the playoffs.
What's even more special is if your team is still around on Thanksgiving. Few experiences are like having a fine meal with family then taking a walk late in the day and thinking about Friday's game. How I do miss it, but I know we'll manage to scratch our way back into the thick of things before too many more years. We always do.

Shelby Lion, I retire at the end of the year. It's a blessing to be able to retire when you want to and on the terms you're hoping for. It's been a long time and I look forward to it. I started in November 1971.
All the best to the Golden Lions and because of location and family you have another favorite team, namely, the Burns Bulldogs. You're double lucky (blessed) and I'm glad for you, from the heart. I know how much football means to you...If you see 65Lion tell him hello and I'm thinking about him. He is special.

rambbq, Thanks for saying something. If you grandson is anything like his Grandpa, he"ll do well. He is fortunate to have an athlete in his family that can tell him things like the basics of becoming a winner. I'm sure he takes pride in knowing that you had at one time quarterbacked what is one of North Carolina's very best programs...Good luck in the playoffs.

The Mule, I congratulate you on every year you have. Speaking of Charlie Justice, I met him, once. I was in a class about my job and the instructor found out I was from that area. He said he was going to mail me a book to take over to Cherryville and get Mr. Justice to autograph it for him. They were both Lee Edwards alumni.
I called his office and a lady, there, told me to bring the book over. She said people came by often to get him to sign things. I remember how kind he was. He acted like a champion... A portion of NC 150 is named for him.
Speaking of tractors, I've never been on one in my life. My parents and me were all townies and I don't know much about farming, but when I was very young my Mother told me to never get on a tractor. She said it has an extra-low gear and it will flip over on you. Honestly, during the toughest times on my job,I've thought about how good it must be to make a living farming.

Maiden Creek, I wonder if your screen name has any correlation to an establishment which had the same name (The Creek) on the north side of town. This same place had customers with reserved standing room in the end zone at the old High school.They were a local icon.
By the way, on the South Fork thread from a few weeks back I picked Lincolnton to beat North Lincoln which surprised another poster. A West Lincoln posted commented "He is a Lincolnton fan, you know you gotta pull for your hometown even against the New England Patriots". I told him I appreciated his understanding and expressed my loyalty.
Then, you left a post which I'm familiar with and I was hoping was directed at me. It was the final words of Samson. With the Wolves playing North Lincoln and how little of a chance we had of winning I couldn't think of more suitable words for a last act of defiance. I thought to myself, "Now that's me".
Lots of respect for the Blue Devils for being there, again, this year. They've always been a tough bunch...All the best to your Dad.

Last edited:
Reactions: rambbq
Lincolnton, I’m happy to hear about your upcoming retirement. Though the folks in Lincoln County are probably fearful that a crime wave is imminent. Not due to your activity, of course. But because of the lack of a deterrent effect.
You may remember that my wife retired earlier this year and enjoys it immensely. Though she did buy herself a tractor and has learned all sorts of useful skills. Probably not the least of those is the noise it makes, which gives her a good excuse to ignore me.
Now that you’ll have more free time, maybe you can persuade Cheerduck to join you and head my way. I recently received an invitation to Short Sugars up in Reidsville. If they can tolerate me, you fellows may rate a parade.
We can commiserate on our teams’ fall from grace and how quickly we can climb back to the mountaintop. I suspect the folks in Reidsville may be able to give us a pointer or two. And if not, we can backtrack and compare Short Sugars to Bridges. We may not find the secret, but we’ll have good company and fine food.
Stay safe and enjoy the leisure life. Hope to see you soon.

Reactions: Ooooner
Fellers, it's good to hear from all of you. I do envy you, looking forward to your teams playing. There's just something about this time of year when the air gets chilly and you can smell the leaves and grass and looking to the next round of the playoffs.
What's even more special is if your team is still around on Thanksgiving. Few experiences are like having a fine meal with family then taking a walk late in the day and thinking about Friday's game. How I do miss it, but I know we'll manage to scratch our way back into the thick of things before too many more years. We always do.

Shelby Lion, I retire at the end of the year. It's a blessing to be able to retire when you want to and on the terms you're hoping for. It's been a long time and I look forward to it. I started in November 1971.
All the best to the Golden Lions and because of location and family you have another favorite team, namely, the Burns Bulldogs. You're double lucky (blessed) and I'm glad for you, from the heart. I know how much football means to you...If you see 65Lion tell him hello and I'm thinking about him. He is special.

rambbq, Thanks for saying something. If you grandson is anything like his Grandpa, he"ll do well. He is fortunate to have an athlete in his family that can tell him things like the basics of becoming a winner. I'm sure he takes pride in knowing that you had at one time quarterbacked what is one of North Carolina's very best programs...Good luck in the playoffs.

The Mule, I congratulate you on every year you have. Speaking of Charlie Justice, I met him, once. I was in a class about my job and the instructor found out I was from that area. He said he was going to mail me a book to take over to Cherryville and get Mr. Justice to autograph it for him. They were both Lee Edwards alumni.
I called his office and a lady, there, told me to bring the book over. She said people came by often to get him to sign things. I remember how kind he was. He acted like a champion... A portion of NC 150 is named for him.
Speaking of tractors, I've never been on one in my life. My parents and me were all townies and I don't know much about farming, but when I was very young my Mother told me to never get on a tractor. She said it has an extra-low gear and it will flip over on you. Honestly, during the toughest times on my job,I've thought about how good it must be to make a living farming.

Maiden Creek, I wonder if your screen name has any correlation to an establishment which had the same name (The Creek) on the north side of town. This same place had customers with reserved standing room in the end zone at the old High school.They were a local icon.
By the way, on the South Fork thread from a few weeks back I picked Lincolnton to beat North Lincoln which surprised another poster. A West Lincoln posted commented "He is a Lincolnton fan, you know you gotta pull for your hometown even against the New England Patriots". I told him I appreciated his understanding and expressed my loyalty.
Then, you left a post which I'm familiar with and I was hoping was directed at me. It was the final words of Samson. With the Wolves playing North Lincoln and how little of a chance we had of winning I couldn't think of more suitable words for a last act of defiance. I thought to myself, "Now that's me".
Lots of respect for the Blue Devils for being there, again, this year. They've always been a tough bunch...All the best to your Dad.
That touches my heart.. Lincolnton. Yes... the final words of Samson were in honor of your pick. Never give an inch!
Yes.... it’s a tribute to “The Creek” and I miss those times at the old school when we stood in the end zone.
Thanks for the kind words and Congrats on your retirement!

OC, I remember that some of the posters would meet at Short Sugars, in Reidsville, and have lunch. I always wanted to go but everytime they had it I was working. I didn’t know they were still having it. I don’t retire until the end of December but I hope I’ll get an invite next year. If you’re there, then the other guys couldn’t be in better company.
I’m happy the Misses is enjoying her retirement. Tell her not to put the tractor in extra-low.
I’ll give Cheerduck a call and try to arrange a trip over to Thomasville. It’s always good to hear from you, my friend.

Maiden Creek,
I think it was 2015, Maiden had some issues with the football field over at the new high school so their playoff game was moved to Bandys. I want to say their opponent was North Surry, the very team they defeated this past Friday.
The Blue Devils won the game pretty big and the following day there was one particular North Surry poster on this message board. By reading his posts he seemed very upset with some of the Maiden fans. He kept referring to them as “The men behind the end zone”. I thought it sounded like a spy novel. I knew who he was talking about right off. It was the fellers from the Creek. Bandys stadium is laid out in such a way that they could get back there and cheer Maiden on.
I know he was hurt over his team losing but little did he know that he had got to see a piece of Maiden football history. Heck, some of those guys were probably in the end zone when Maiden beat out Undefeated Tabor City for the 1978 2A combined title at the old stadium.
Thanks again for the quote.

My good friend Mr Lincolnton,,,I know I haven't been on much in the last couple years....you were always a pleasure to talk to on here and at some of the state championships...You introduced me to a lot of the Shelby and Crest posters on here...My wife and I moved to the coast and were enjoying life at Topsail Beach until the Lord ended her suffering this pass May from cancer...Hope to meet up with some of the fellow posters on here from this area again...I have followed WRH and the Jacksonville teams the last 3 years and met some good people on that side.But I am back home at Newton Conover pulling for our West teams...now on to West Lincoln...big and powerful,can be a shocker this week as another playoff win is possible...

MSC, it’s awfully good to hear from you. I’m so sorry to hear about your wife but I believe you’ll get to see her again.
You’d mentioned the eastern teams and fans. As much as you love football I know you would have found a game, and I hope they were good to you down there.
Welcome back home, and I hope you’ve been enjoying the Red Devils season. I wondered if you would get to go over to Reidsville, Friday...I’ve seen some of these comments about how badly N-C would lose and about a running clock, and granted, it will be an uphill battle, but I think it may be closer than some think. I have to say though, Community Stadium is a nice place. It’s flat, good seating, they’re nice to you and there isn’t a river nearby, like there is here, to make things feel so cold.
All the best to the Devils and I hope to get to see you soon.

Congrats to West.....the next closest high school to where I live second to burns of course. Are yall still the Rebels or have the liberals made you change the mascot ? Anyway best of luck the rest of the way. good folks over in vale and good eats at mitchems.

Yes we are still the rebels. Funny you ask; we were made to take the flag down my senior year back in 1994, well before the recent uprisings these days. The ironic part is that it was offensive to visiting teams. No group or nationality from our school had an issue with it but old news no biggie.

Congrats to West.....the next closest high school to where I live second to burns of course. Are yall still the Rebels or have the liberals made you change the mascot ? Anyway best of luck the rest of the way. good folks over in vale and good eats at mitchems.

Yes we are still the rebels. Funny you ask; we were made to take the flag down my senior year back in 1994, well before the recent uprisings these days. The ironic part is that it was offensive to visiting teams. No group or nationality from our school had an issue with it but old news no biggie.
Southern Alamance used to be known as the Confederates...their band in the early and mid 60's dressed in gray uniforms with hats that were dead ringers for the soldiers of the Civil War...needless to say that has been long gone for a long time....S.A. are now known as the Patriots................

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawn12Dog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT