ADVERTISEMENT

West Craven @ SWE 10-29

Otis4411

Jan 30, 2003
Conference Championship has been won but this game still means a heck of a lot. We have to keep our momentum up. Nobody in conference has been close to us. I don't expect anything to be different Friday night.
@SWE'98 We are a lot alike on here. We are on an island supporting our own team. I've never been to SWE high school before. You are the only school in this new conference I have never been to a game at. I'm on call this coming weekend but I'm going to try and work it with a co-worker so I can go. I'll be either in the endzone with the endzone camera or on the sidelines. So look me up before the game.
We've been pretty successful running the ball. That has been our bread and butter since we got all our players back. We did lose a good player last week to a knee injury. I haven't heard anything the past 2 days but I'm sure he is done. Other than him #2 we are coming in healthy. I look forward to the game and seeing a new place. I also look forward to meeting you so by all means look me up. If it's cool I'll be wearing a long brown drover coat. But just ask anyone on our sideline for Greg.

Conference Championship has been won but this game still means a heck of a lot. We have to keep our momentum up. Nobody in conference has been close to us. I don't expect anything to be different Friday night.
@SWE'98 We are a lot alike on here. We are on an island supporting our own team. I've never been to SWE high school before. You are the only school in this new conference I have never been to a game at. I'm on call this coming weekend but I'm going to try and work it with a co-worker so I can go. I'll be either in the endzone with the endzone camera or on the sidelines. So look me up before the game.
We've been pretty successful running the ball. That has been our bread and butter since we got all our players back. We did lose a good player last week to a knee injury. I haven't heard anything the past 2 days but I'm sure he is done. Other than him #2 we are coming in healthy. I look forward to the game and seeing a new place. I also look forward to meeting you so by all means look me up. If it's cool I'll be wearing a long brown drover coat. But just ask anyone on our sideline for Greg.
Can’t believe you haven’t been there. Went there for a play off game. WC couldn’t stop that damn wishbone that Raymond Cobb had at that time.

Can’t believe you haven’t been there. Went there for a play off game. WC couldn’t stop that damn wishbone that Raymond Cobb had at that time.
Clay told me last night at the JV game that we played them a few times in the playoffs. Once was back when Jesse Campbell played and they had Yancey Thigpen. It was at West Craven in a solid downpour rain. It's the hardest rain I have ever watched a game in. Back then I was on the chain crew and I did the down marker. It was hard to make out the home stands across the field from the rain. But there was no lightning or thunder.

I'll be there. I don't believe the game will be close, unless you guys start saving your players after the half. We just aren't very good. The new offense this coach brought in just isn't clicking for guys that have ran the bone for so long. Maybe it'll get right once the wishbone guys have graduated. But even that won't matter if we don't do something about our defense. Even in our 0-11 days, our defense has never ever been this bad. You will score at will.

Shoot, I think you guys did well. The final score was 10-0.

Clay told me last night at the JV game that we played them a few times in the playoffs. Once was back when Jesse Campbell played and they had Yancey Thigpen. It was at West Craven in a solid downpour rain. It's the hardest rain I have ever watched a game in. Back then I was on the chain crew and I did the down marker. It was hard to make out the home stands across the field from the rain. But there was no lightning or thunder.
The last time we played WC was in Vanceboro in 08. 3rd round of the playoffs. I remember that season well because our first and last games of that season were losses to West Craven. We had a pretty good year, but my then gf told me that we had to be terrible, because that was the only game I took her to, and what she saw was a 27-42 beating lol. I mean, it was round 3, and we finished 10-3, but she only knew of what she saw smh.
I actually just went through Vanceboro today going to and from New Bern crabbing. I always stop at the grocery store in town to buy my chicken.

If I’m not mistaken WC won 6-0. Scored on a 99 yard td pass in the first quarter. Worst weather I have ever watched a football game in. Today game would have been moved to another night.

If I’m not mistaken WC won 6-0. Scored on a 99 yard td pass in the first quarter. Worst weather I have ever watched a football game in. Today game would have been moved to another night.
Clay called a certain play and the kid that took the play in confused the call. What he gave the QB was a pass play. In a pouring down rain. As the QB started to pass Clay was about to go ape **** crazy. The receiver caught it in stride and scored. After the game the SWE coach told Clay that was a really gutsy call on that pass. Clay nodded but didn't tell him how it really came about. We talked about that Tuesday night. SWE jv's beat us by the way 32-22 in a good competitive game.

Just to let you know, we are in the sticks. In the middle of nowhere, and the phone reception can be hot or not. And get something to eat in Greenville. You will not find anything to eat other than convenience store snacks in the evenings in Pinetops, which is 5 away from the school. Middle. Of. Nowhere.

Just to let you know, we are in the sticks. In the middle of nowhere, and the phone reception can be hot or not. And get something to eat in Greenville. You will not find anything to eat other than convenience store snacks in the evenings in Pinetops, which is 5 away from the school. Middle. Of. Nowhere.
Abrams (sp) bbq is not an option? If they don't allow indoor dining then I'm not interested in it. @daagoob will be coming down 64 so I may meet him somewhere if we have time. Maybe Tarboro? Will have to look.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Abrams (sp) bbq is not an option? If they don't allow indoor dining then I'm not interested in it. @daagoob will be coming down 64 so I may meet him somewhere if we have time. Maybe Tarboro? Will have to look.
Abrams and the grill within one of the gas stations are closing early due to staffing issues. Maybe Abrams has gotten back on track, but idk. I only go there for the cheese biscuits in the morning.

• Haha
Reactions: Otis4411 and UNC91
He ain’t lying. Kind of like WC when it was first built.

Tarboro has a cook out now lol if you are interested. Swe 98 is not lying when he says pinetops is a dead zone very little there. They do have a really good Chinese restaurant though.

You'll be adding miles if you end up on 64 coming from Vanceboro. It'll save miles if you stay on 43 North. It's a lot of turns that way though. 64 way is easier, but longer. Guess it just depends on your preference.
If you want to meet up, I can meet you in the curve at the concession stand end at 6:45. Big black dude with gray sweatpants on. May have on a toboggan with a UNC logo. Depends on the temp. If not that time, maybe halftime.

Sorry Greg. I had to leave that garbage early. Didn't want to put myself thru paying to see another shut out. We are terrible on offense. And terrible on defense. We did have big plays on both, but didn't do anything with it because of stupid play calling. We couldn't run the ball on y'all. That was clear. Did get some yards here and there passing. So what did we do when we got that huge 55yd pass play to your 15? Run it four straight times for 1 yard lol. And what did we do after we got that interception? Run it until we turned it over on downs lol. And our offensive line was getting murdered. As usual, there will be no adjustments made. The way you guys were running on us, I can't believe that you only had 17 points at the half, with all of them coming in the 1st. We showed life in the 2nd on both sides, but our play calling zapped that away each time. I don't expect us to score, unless it's in garbage time. And I expect y'all to put up at least 21 more points. And your kicker is a nice weapon.

Sorry Greg. I had to leave that garbage early. Didn't want to put myself thru paying to see another shut out. We are terrible on offense. And terrible on defense. We did have big plays on both, but didn't do anything with it because of stupid play calling. We couldn't run the ball on y'all. That was clear. Did get some yards here and there passing. So what did we do when we got that huge 55yd pass play to your 15? Run it four straight times for 1 yard lol. And what did we do after we got that interception? Run it until we turned it over on downs lol. And our offensive line was getting murdered. As usual, there will be no adjustments made. The way you guys were running on us, I can't believe that you only had 17 points at the half, with all of them coming in the 1st. We showed life in the 2nd on both sides, but our play calling zapped that away each time. I don't expect us to score, unless it's in garbage time. And I expect y'all to put up at least 21 more points. And your kicker is a nice weapon.
It's sad to see how such a good program has gone down hill so fast. For the last couple of years prior to the last two seasons SouthWest edgecombe was a State title contender in the east. Now y'all are in rebuilding mode unless next year's team is good.

It's sad to see how such a good program has gone down hill so fast. For the last couple of years prior to the last two seasons SouthWest edgecombe was a State title contender in the east. Now y'all are in rebuilding mode unless next year's team is good.
That what happens when you get shut out in 7 of 18 career games. This is his first head coaching gig. Being 9-9 isn't the problem. But getting shut out in 40% of your games is a huge cause of concern.

That what happens when you get shut out in 7 of 18 career games. This is his first head coaching gig. Being 9-9 isn't the problem. But getting shut out in 40% of your games is a huge cause of concern.
Is he the offensive coordinator? If not whoever is definitely needs to go in my opinion I'm not for firing people cuz I hate seeing people get fired but getting shut out in 40% of your games is unacceptable. Especially for a program that was just a few key pieces away from being in a state championship game the last couple years prior to Johnathan leaving

Who is northeastern projected to play next week? Tarboro has a bye so I may try to slide that way?
I’m not sure, we’re hoping for the two seed but it’s possible we could fall in the rpi be a we played winless ptank. You should come though, you will definitely see a fun offense in NE. Also Freshwater is fun to watch on defense

Is he the offensive coordinator? If not whoever is definitely needs to go in my opinion I'm not for firing people cuz I hate seeing people get fired but getting shut out in 40% of your games is unacceptable. Especially for a program that was just a few key pieces away from being in a state championship game the last couple years prior to Johnathan leaving
Idk who the coordinators are, but I don't know what either one of them are doing. As a fan and supporter who brings money to the gate, it's hard to go from reloading to rebuilding so quickly.

Idk who the coordinators are, but I don't know what either one of them are doing. As a fan and supporter who brings money to the gate, it's hard to go from reloading to rebuilding so quickly.
It's obviously not working whatever they doing. I can imagine a lot of fans and former players aren't happy. Maybe next season you guys will be back to form.

Reactions: SWE'98
I’m not sure, we’re hoping for the two seed but it’s possible we could fall in the rpi be a we played winless ptank. You should come though, you will definitely see a fun offense in NE. Also Freshwater is fun to watch on defense
High School ot has y'all projected to play West bladen. I'm sure it'll be a northeastern victory lol

Sorry I missed you. Tonight we really just wanted to get through this game with no injuries. Our QB was playing on a sore taped up ankle. I cringed the 2 or 3 times he ran the ball. We lost a good one last week to a knee injury. Shelton #7 running the ball is fun to watch. He gave some SWE players a free ride tonight. We get judged based on the bad start to our season. Covid really screwed us up. What you really saw tonight was a 1 loss team cause the only team that has really beaten us was New Bern. We have a strong line and our defense don't give up much. You made some nice plays tonight but you are right about them trying to run on us after that pass play. They are not going to run on us. That is our strength. After going 12-2 just a few years ago I know this is frustrating. Hang in there.

Reactions: rambbq and SWE'98
West Craven is one of the teams in the east that concerns me. Pardon the pun but they are dark horses. I remember they had a good team we were fortunate to beat in 2019 before our loss to Northeastern and they have our offensive coordinator from last year.
How far and how much time to West Craven Ottis?

Reactions: daagoob
West Craven is one of the teams in the east that concerns me. Pardon the pun but they are dark horses. I remember they had a good team we were fortunate to beat in 2019 before our loss to Northeastern and they have our offensive coordinator from last year.
How far and how much time to West Craven Ottis?
It's close to a 2-hour drive Wiz. Grady has done a great job for us too.

It's obviously not working whatever they doing. I can imagine a lot of fans and former players aren't happy. Maybe next season you guys will be back to form.
The displeasure and disinterest is evident. The crowd tonight was essentially just Senior Night parents and friends. Hardcore fans like myself are gonna root for them no matter what, but most of the fan base are fair weather. But I'm pretty sure there won't be a change any time soon. Our director isn't for flashy hires. Every coach at our school is either Cougar affiliated or very local.

The displeasure and disinterest is evident. The crowd tonight was essentially just Senior Night parents and friends. Hardcore fans like myself are gonna root for them no matter what, but most of the fan base are fair weather. But I'm pretty sure there won't be a change any time soon. Our director isn't for flashy hires. Every coach at our school is either Cougar affiliated or very local.
That sucks for you guys. Maybe your ad will make a change. Then again hearing that a lot of what is at swe is cougar affiliated gives me little hope now that you said that. I guess Eric Duff knew what he was doing when he left. Odds are he'd be head coach potentially.

I didn’t see very many fans on the SWE side tonight. It didn’t look good for the school especially considering it was senior night. Hopefully changes will be made

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT