ADVERTISEMENT

Weather, Mount Airy vs Starmount (Near Freezing))

They act like the games are being played at the summit of Mt.Everest or something,
Not always and don't see a huge difference tonight but a 2,000 ft rise in elevation can make a big difference in temperature and wether you're getting rain or snow or ice and at least for the comfort of the fans.
I've literally have crossed a bridge and gone from a skiff of snow on the ground to 5 or 6 inches just because the area on the other side is just enough below Raon mountain.
Johnson City TN is only 35-40 miles from Bakerville but it's like two different words in the winter and temperature year around because of elevation. I've seen a beautiful day in Spruce Pine and school is closed because the north side of the county is covered in snow. Mountain weather is weird because just a few hundred ft can make a lot of difference just like Mitchell stadium is usually a good 5 to 10 degrees colder then Bakerville usually because of wind chill.

Not me LOL. I take a blood thinner and have to wear warm clothes inside. I couldn't dress warm enough to set on those bleachers on a night like tonight. LOL:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'm on blood thinner as well plus rheumatoid in my blood and arthritis on my spine so winter bothers me a lot more then is use to infact sometimes I preferred it not anymore. But I'm going and as I've mentioned before got my potable propane heater ready to go.

Not always and don't see a huge difference tonight but a 2,000 ft rise in elevation can make a big difference in temperature and wether you're getting rain or snow or ice and at least for the comfort of the fans.
I've literally have crossed a bridge and gone from a skiff of snow on the ground to 5 or 6 inches just because the area on the other side is just enough below Raon mountain.
Johnson City TN is only 35-40 miles from Bakerville but it's like two different words in the winter and temperature year around because of elevation. I've seen a beautiful day in Spruce Pine and school is closed because the north side of the county is covered in snow. Mountain weather is weird because just a few hundred ft can make a lot of difference just like Mitchell stadium is usually a good 5 to 10 degrees colder then Bakerville usually because of wind chill.

I've left a sunny Boone in the high 40s and got to Blowing Rock only for it to be snowing and 30 degrees.

I'm on blood thinner as well plus rheumatoid in my blood and arthritis on my spine so winter bothers me a lot more then is use to infact sometimes I preferred it not anymore. But I'm going and as I've mentioned before got my potable propane heater ready to go.
I have arthritis in my spine and both knees and diabetic neuropathy in both feet from diabetes. If I get scrapes and scratches on my legs or feet it takes a month or longer to heal. No fun getting old !

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Robbinsville shows low if 20 Friday.

Finally starting to feel a little like winter

This posted weather was for 11/19/21, not 11/29/21 but so far this Friday looks to be near freezing with a high of 45 to 49 depending on where you look, colder than last Friday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT