#3 Alleghany
#4 East Wilkes
#5 ??????????
#6 ??????????

#7 North Stokes

MaxPreps 1A Rankings
Alleghany, SS, and East could be a toss up

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I honestly dont know what to expect from EW. They have a good knowledgeable coach but its his first year as HC. They have several areas of talent as the JV went 9-1 last year with that loss to Mt Airy. But my concern is they are so young. I guess time will tell but they should definitely be competitive and even more so in the next 2 years. But until proven otherwise we all know who were chasing in conference play.

I honestly dont know what to expect from EW. They have a good knowledgeable coach but its his first year as HC. They have several areas of talent as the JV went 9-1 last year with that loss to Mt Airy. But my concern is they are so young. I guess time will tell but they should definitely be competitive and even more so in the next 2 years. But until proven otherwise we all know who were chasing in conference play.
What are they doing at QB

I'm hearing, there are 2 kids for that spot, from what i'm told the Blackburn kid is looking more than likely the front runner.

Reactions: Orange01
How is East's Depth situation? They were supposed to be up on the mountain with us at Boone last Friday and they had to back out saying they had a lot of injuries. That's what Watauga's coaches told us anyways.

I'm only seeing like 4 or 5 seniors on the roster for this year, and last year showing we graduated 14 (according to maxpreps). I'm hearing the numbers aren't all that great this year and with what we do have they are sophomore and junior heavy. Again, a talented but young team. Lost a lot of the playmakers last year, QB, WR, RB's and on the defensive side of the ball as well. I still think they will be a competitive group, nothing for Mt Airy and Starmount may not be as good a game as the JV game with them was last year. As far a depth, I know they got 2 kids that can do the QB position and are loaded with RB's so they can definitely spread the ball around. As far as a passing game, i'm clueless.

I'm only seeing like 4 or 5 seniors on the roster for this year, and last year showing we graduated 14 (according to maxpreps). I'm hearing the numbers aren't all that great this year and with what we do have they are sophomore and junior heavy. Again, a talented but young team. Lost a lot of the playmakers last year, QB, WR, RB's and on the defensive side of the ball as well. I still think they will be a competitive group, nothing for Mt Airy and Starmount may not be as good a game as the JV game with them was last year. As far a depth, I know they got 2 kids that can do the QB position and are loaded with RB's so they can definitely spread the ball around. As far as a passing game, i'm clueless.
I think the big thing is The Rams only lost two ball games in JV. East only lost one correct? Then you have North Surry who only lost one. And east surry lost just 2 right? Going to be a lot of parity especially if we get in a conference altogether. Like we used to be hopefully it'll be a two a conference. I'm not sure how many kids played up for the schools last year. I think we had three. One of them is now gone. I think Mount Airy had five. They're all still there. Not sure about The Rams and East Wilkes. Although the Rams did add three really good players. Will four if you consider the guy from North.

After 2 weeks, I can actually agree with TD on something. I do think Alleghany finishes 3rd with us falling to 4th. Granted every one gets better as the season progresses but I just see depth issues and the inexperience within this EW team.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
After 2 weeks, I can actually agree with TD on something. I do think Alleghany finishes 3rd with us falling to 4th. Granted every one gets better as the season progresses but I just see depth issues and the inexperience within this EW team.
I agree. I originally thought we would be 4th and y'all would be 3RD. I thought y'all would be better based off your success last year and almost beating Murphy in playoffs but the fact that y'all barely beat a bad Surry Central team Friday makes me think South Stokes could be 4th and y'all 5th

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange01
Its very possible. It seemed in the SC game we couldn't defend the pass to save our life. Just all the pieces are seeming to line up just yet. I'm going with the change of offense (new coaching staff) and the inexperience at this level.

#1 Mount Airy
#2 Starmount
#3 Alleghany
#4 East Wilkes
#5 ??????????
#6 ??????????

#7 North Stokes

MaxPreps 1A Rankings

Mount Airy
Starmount
East Wilkes

Take a draw for 4-7
I would like to see North Stokes climb out of the cellar 2 or 3 spots this year. I think I counted only 21 players in the Mt. Airy News preview.

I agree. I originally thought we would be 4th and y'all would be 3RD. I thought y'all would be better based off your success last year and almost beating Murphy in playoffs but the fact that y'all barely beat a bad Surry Central team Friday makes me think South Stokes could be 4th and y'all 5th
There was a believer…wearing rose colored glasses…called that about 2 months back. 😎

Last edited:
I'm not sold on Starmount being 2nd. But then I am not sure who will beat them but if they have another lackluster performance like I think they did against North Iredell someone like Alleghany or East could sneak up on them. Starmount should have dominated North Iredell up front and beat them by a bit more.

Alleghany looks to be on the rise so I have them jumping East. Elkin and East look fairly even so far. Whoever wins that game finishes 4th. I'll give East the slight advantage right now.

1. Mount Airy
2. Starmount
3. Alleghany
4. East Wilkes
5. Elkin
6. South Stokes
7. North Stokes

I'm not sold on Starmount being 2nd. But then I am not sure who will beat them but if they have another lackluster performance like I think they did against North Iredell someone like Alleghany or East could sneak up on them. Starmount should have dominated North Iredell up front and beat them by a bit more.

Alleghany looks to be on the rise so I have them jumping East. Elkin and East look fairly even so far. Whoever wins that game finishes 4th. I'll give East the slight advantage right now.

1. Mount Airy
2. Starmount
3. Alleghany
4. East Wilkes
5. Elkin
6. South Stokes
7. North Stokes
I’m what way did starmount not dominate up front? They scored 32 points on a 3A team, south Iredell play north the week before and only put up 38… starmount did not play their best game but it was due to penalties and turnovers not the guys up front. But with that being said I agree it was a lack luster performance to an extent but that only tells me starmount still has a lot of room to really be a good football team this year. However like you said if they don’t bring it against alleghany and East they could very well be upset. Alleghany is no joke this year

Reactions: NCBBFB

1. Mount Airy
2. Starmount
3. Alleghany
4. East Wilkes
5. Elkin
6. South Stokes
7. North Stokes
Starmount is on the verge of having a really great year. Couple areas to clean up. If they can do that I don't think anyone will look forward to playing them in the playoffs. I was just looking at comparable games to Eastern Randolph a couple of days ago. I know that you have to take common opponents games with a grain of salt but those scores show Starmount as the better team.

1. Mount Airy
2. Starmount
3. Alleghany
4. East Wilkes
5. Elkin
6. South Stokes
7. North Stokes
Not saying that North Iredell is great, but this might a better North Iredell team to what they have had in years. They might win about 2 or 3 games this year.

Reactions: REWhitley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT