ADVERTISEMENT

VANCE AT RICHMOND

Maybe it’s not about pleasing people but you can’t help to bring it up , since it was brought up .
But I cannot help but think of it this way and maybe you are someone else can answer it ?
Question #1
If Myers park would have not ran into Richmond kicker the touchdown they score would have not been called back , Myers park probably would have won the game by 4 points , would the whole lights & PA system be even talk about as probably being a issue?
Question #2
Some colleges have the same lights do they run theirs differently I am pretty sure they do but still a question?
Also you are correct you really can not tell much when it daylight time with the lights
But like I said earlier the PA system has been louder at some games more then others the first game of the season was super loud . I think they may have different people running it at times, but to be honest I love the music especially when they play ymca you will see some fans dancing along with a few other songs you will see dancing in the crowd. It shows the fans are really having a great time

If Myers park would have not ran into Richmond kicker the touchdown they score would have not been called back , Myers park probably would have won the game by 4 points , would the whole lights & PA system be even talk about as probably being a issue?
I think they may have different people running it at times, but to be honest I love the music especially when they play ymca you will see some fans dancing along with a few other songs you will see dancing in the crowd. It shows the fans are really having a great time

I have not spoken to anyone from MP and no one from the fan base has posted about this that I have seen. I can only tell you that the PA was part of the conversation among some of us during the game. I did not start the post only replied with my thoughts. I think the biggest complaint from MP fans is not the running into the punter but the fumble call.

I like the music, lights, smoke, and fireworks, also! Think it makes more people (average fan) enjoy the game and may get more folks in the stands plus bring their kids which is huge for the game / program. It comes down to consistency and doing it the same at all times. If they want to play it to the snap do it on every snap. Play it until the huddle breaks or the teams line up do it that way every time.

No disrespect to anyone
I know you didn’t start the post , it start from another board & got brought to this one .
I also know you are a raider supporter,
Yeah the fumble was a questionable call but like in all balls game there are questionable calls .
But from what I have been reading on both sites is not some much about the fumble as when they went for the 2 point conversion again not the fumble.
And it still doesn’t really answer my question. So I will put it like this Myers park lost the game because they ran into the kicker if they did not run into the kicker the touchdown they scored wouldn’t have been called back so they would have won by 4. If I sound disrespectful i am sorry i am not trying to but some people not all are trying to take away win from a team that had a dog fight on theirs hands both teams played hard and both teams are great but penalties hurt one team more then the other .
Also on them notes it’s no guarantee that if that fumble did not get called a fumble Myers park would have score b/c our defense was clicking Then .
We have to be for real the score that counted that got taking away was when Myers park ran into the kicker that hurt them and cost them the game ,Not the lights Not the PA system because the Raiders fans were just as loud as the PA System .
Myers park lost because of the penalties
Go Raiders

Last edited:
No disrespect to anyone
I know you didn’t start the post , it start from another board & got brought to this one .
I also know you are a raider supporter,
Yeah the fumble was a questionable call but like in all balls game there are questionable calls .
But from what I have been reading on both sites is not some much about the fumble as when they went for the 2 point conversion again not the fumble.
And it still doesn’t really answer my question. So I will put it like this Myers park lost the game because they ran into the kicker if they did not run into the kicker the touchdown they scored wouldn’t have been called back so they would have won by 4. If I sound disrespectful i am sorry i am not trying to but some people not all are trying to take away win from a team that had a dog fight on theirs hands both teams played hard and both teams are great but penalties hurt one team more then the other .
Go Raiders
You can't they would have won the game if it wasn't for that penalty. Richmond would have played a more aggressive offense at the end instead of running the ball and running the clock out. The penalty on the goal line hurt just as much.

704 or anyone...who are the playmakers for Vance? What names do we need to know and why? Base offense...base defense?

I get what you saying and for the most part I have been saying could have won but some people are making a big deal over the lights , and the PA system and now The fumble. I am just trying to pen point to the ones who are saying that what about the TD that got calls back when they ran into our kicker that’s all . I agree I still free we would have won .

WE R TALKING ABOUT LIGHTS! THREE WEEKS AGO A COUPLE OF TALKING HEADS WERE LAUGHING ABOUT RC DEFENSE. NOT SO FUNNY NOW. RC IS A WELL BALANCED CLUB AND THEY HAVE AN ABSOLUTE STAR THAT HAS THE UNCANNY ABILITY TO WILL HIS TEAM TO VICTORY. GIVE them THEIR DUE! IF VANCE IS AS TALENTED AS MANY SAY ON DEFENSE I WOULD ADVISE THEM TO TAKE ONE OF THOSE STUD LINEBACKERS AND SPY #5 AND FOLLOW HIM TO THE BATHROOM. IF THEY DON'T HAVE A PLAN TO ELIMINATE HIM THEY WILL BE THE 3RD CHARLOTTE TEAM HEADED TO THE HOUSE. Sorry for the caps got carried away on the lights and kept typing.

Last edited:
Also on them notes it’s no guarantee that if that fumble did not get called a fumble Myers park would have score b/c our defense was clicking Then .
Not the lights Not the PA system because the Raiders fans were just as loud as the PA System .
Myers park lost because of the penalties

I have never inferred that MP lost because of any outside influence! None!

One play does not make a game. Even without the fumble you do not know how the game plays out. MP had their chances. You are right, a couple of penalties hurt them. That is on them. RC made the plays when they had to. MP did not. I wrote Richmond won the game on the sidelines.

I thought the lights were a non factor but I can see where the confusion comes in on the PAT.
The fans were not as loud as the PA to me. Not close. It was piercing at times.

@btango
I wasn’t trying to jump your case about it , if I made you feel that way I do apologize. I know you support the raiders or did . It just some of the others one . I just want to get point across to them , you can bet this will all be brought up next year when these two face up again

Last edited:
Reactions: btango
If we were some flash in the pan team that 1st time making it this far after big wins u could possible see the emotions for let down but these kids are experienced. This is a lot of the kids 3rd regional finals so yes it feels good to get a big win but when ur as close as we were last yr, getting back 2 the ship is all they want. U hear the motto "make up for 2 pts". We've got a business trip to RC, someone has 2 win. We respect Richmond but they are in the way.

I think this is a huge plus for Vance. Been there, done that. They have experience on the road, in big games and a taste of what it is like to play for a championship. There will be no big eyes or butterflies and there is no substitute for experience. Having come so close to winning it last year leaves a bad taste in your mouth you are willing to do anything to get rid of. Having said that, Raiders of the past typically rose up to the occasion and matched teams big hit for big hit, big play for big play. No Vance is not a flash in the pan program but the Raiders traditionally have this type of big game bred into their DNA. I think a big key to this game will be who can master the emotions of the moment. Who can avoid the big penalties that kill drives or extend them?

Reactions: btango
@btango
I wasn’t trying to jump your case about it , if I made you feel that way I do apologize. I know you support the raiders or did . It just some of the others one . I just want to get point across to them , you can bet this will all be brought up next year when these two face up again

Btango supports all NC high school teams. A true fan of the sport and a promoter of it who has stood on many different side lines and well thought of by most of the coaching community. There was one Raider coach who had an issue at one time but that was worked out politely( last line was added for chuckles only).

Great game Friday and lots of credit to our team who willed their way to a win. For the greater good of all, let’s talk about Vance...next team up.

I think both teams carry a lot of momentum into this game. I think our Offense really kicked in during the 4th quarter last week. Looked more like they have all year and mixed it up well. Defense did enough and came up big against a great Offensive team at the right times.

Vance will be hungry too after they went to the ship last year. Great defense will test our Offense and OC. Our D will have to be stout and keep the pressure off our offense. I think this is a lower scoring affair here.

Caleb and crew are coming in from two tough games, but I think that is a good thing considering this bracket, the regular season didn’t offer those challenges, and it builds confidence.

Vance had one really tough game knocking off MC. Great job.

This should be a good one. Winner goes to the ship. I still think this is your 4aa championship game, but can’t overlook anyone. It’s all about Vance right now. I know 704 your coming, but we are ready! Give us some insight...I only know Vance has that defense and the offense seems to be clicking a bit?

I think this is a huge plus for Vance. Been there, done that. They have experience on the road, in big games and a taste of what it is like to play for a championship. There will be no big eyes or butterflies and there is no substitute for experience. Having come so close to winning it last year leaves a bad taste in your mouth you are willing to do anything to get rid of. Having said that, Raiders of the past typically rose up to the occasion and matched teams big hit for big hit, big play for big play. No Vance is not a flash in the pan program but the Raiders traditionally have this type of big game bred into their DNA. I think a big key to this game will be who can master the emotions of the moment. Who can avoid the big penalties that kill drives or extend them?

Agreed. I don’t think either comes in intimidated. I think both are on a mission. They are both hungry for this one!

What's the 'other forum'? I used to visit CarolinaVarsity but that site seems to have broken, my login isn't recognized. PM me if it's not to be dicussed on here, thx

Great game Friday and lots of credit to our team who willed their way to a win. For the greater good of all, let’s talk about Vance...next team up.

I think both teams carry a lot of momentum into this game. I think our Offense really kicked in during the 4th quarter last week. Looked more like they have all year and mixed it up well. Defense did enough and came up big against a great Offensive team at the right times.

Vance will be hungry too after they went to the ship last year. Great defense will test our Offense and OC. Our D will have to be stout and keep the pressure off our offense. I think this is a lower scoring affair here.

Caleb and crew are coming in from two tough games, but I think that is a good thing considering this bracket, the regular season didn’t offer those challenges, and it builds confidence.

Vance had one really tough game knocking off MC. Great job.

This should be a good one. Winner goes to the ship. I still think this is your 4aa championship game, but can’t overlook anyone. It’s all about Vance right now. I know 704 your coming, but we are ready! Give us some insight...I only know Vance has that defense and the offense seems to be clicking a bit?

Finally a football post. I love this matchup even more than the MP-RC one because I think both teams provide something the other hasnt seen.

In the 2 year run for the Vance defense they have stopped alot of different styles of offense but havent played a real dual threat like Hood. I love the fact that the RC coaches have put Hood in an actual system versus have him just be an athlete. Think it makes him much more difficult to defend and in the end when he needs to do it on his own he has that capability.

This will be by far the most physical and fastest defense RC has seen. I have seen it live on several occasions but watching those WF highlights......Oh my they just really attack and cover ground. Always 3 or 4 kids around the ball. I believe the way you have to play RC is press man and mess up the timing on those RPO's but its dangerous because you really dont want to turn your back on Hood or he could take it the distance.

Obviously Hood is one of a kind but I really thought the RC defense played extremely well Friday night. I get that MP scored 30+ but especially in that first half they were operating in RC territory almost the entire time and really made some big stops and played through the PI calls. I thought as the game wore on they started to speed up Maye's reads and they made it much more difficult for him.

Really looking forward to this one.

Reactions: 1Twister
Btango supports all NC high school teams. A true fan of the sport and a promoter of it who has stood on many different side lines and well thought of by most of the coaching community. There was one Raider coach who had an issue at one time but that was worked out politely( last line was added for chuckles only).

There is a story here that I would love to hear lol Can't tease us with that.

At first, as a fan, I was disappointed when Vance knocked off Mallard Creek. I think many, myself included were looking forward to a MC/Richmond matchup or a MC/MP matchup. As happens at times, that didn't play out. That's why these games are played. The last couple of years in 4AA, Vance has been a giant killer. Last year, it was Myers Park, holding a very potent offense to 13 points. Then this year in the playoffs, knocking a powerful Mallard Creek squad out of the playoffs, holding them to 7 points.

I watched the Vance/WF game through NFHS. Yeah, the picture wasn't great, but I saw enough to see and concur with Blue and Gold, that Vance swarms to the ball. They're like sharks, swimmming swarming after prey. They've been the giant killers the last two years. They've been able to do that for a reason. Richmond cannot underestimate Vance's defense and think it'll be another 34 - 35 point night for their offense. That happened exactly once against Vance this season, in the 42 points Hough scored against them. Take away the Hough game and Vance has allowed exactly 86 total points for 12 games or 7.17 ppg. Last week, the question for me was, can Richmond outscore Myers Park. They did but the question this week is how much will they be able to score on Vance. I'm thinking Richmond will, but on the other hand I'm looking at three games for Vance that stuck out. The first game was against Mallard Creek in September. They held Mallard Creek to 17 points. It was a different year, but the game last year against Myers Park. That same squad that put up 37 on Richmond and was flying high much of the year was held to 13 points in the regional finals last season. So my question last week, was could Richmond win in a shootout against Myers Park. They did. The question this week is, how much will Richmond be able to score on Vance? It's not easy, but Raider fans shouldn't automatically think their team will light the scoreboard up for 30+ against this Vance defense.

Vance is aggressive on defense, but will need to be disciplined and not forget about Hood. He can hurt you, if you're too aggressive. Can Richmond score? Of course they can. Will they be able to score enough against that Vance defense? We'll have to see. A big question for me regarding Vance, is can the offense produce enough to keep with Richmond. If the defense does their thing, my answer would be yes. The offense clicked last week against WF. Offensively, Grier offers a different challenge from Maye. He is mobile and can run. While Vance will have to watch for Hood, the same can be said for the Raiders against Grier.

Vance has had two tough games against Mallard Creek and a tough one against Hough in the I-Meck. But, the Raiders have a big home field advantage. I never said it, but I knew the Raiders were very talented but the number one thing that occurred that may propel them to the state title game, was getting that #1 seed. Will that #1 seed payoff against the 4AA West road warriors? We'll see. But, I'm looking forward to a great game.

Last edited:
There is a story here that I would love to hear lol Can't tease us with that.

A former RC coach read some posts in 2008. I was using the "quote option" and responding. He thought the post I was responding to was my statement. After Richmond beat Indy he came up to me on the field and was pissed. Asked me if I had ever seen Richmond play before and when I replied probably 30 plus times over the years he was stumped. Raider Law had to interject. Funny after the fact. Little tense at the moment. Those are the type of things we laugh about now.

Finally a football post. I love this matchup even more than the MP-RC one because I think both teams provide something the other hasnt seen.

I have been much more interested in these two meeting up than MP v Richmond. Crazy but I think the Vance D v Richmond O is going to be unreal interesting! Hood v a spying LB or safety is going to be fun to watch. The quickness of the Vance D v Richmond's strong O line, fast backs, and very underrated receiving corp! It's going to be chess Friday night. Checkers is over.

This is going to be a very good and fun game. Somewhat different from last week, but a wild and pumped up game. I dont know if this one will be more entertaining but our 11 agaisnt their 11... Richmond wins this game convincingly... Vances defense won't have enough and I know Richmond's offense can score more than their offense. Score prediction???
Later this week.

This is going to be a very good and fun game. Somewhat different from last week, but a wild and pumped up game. I dont know if this one will be more entertaining but our 11 agaisnt their 11... Richmond wins this game convincingly... Vances defense won't have enough and I know Richmond's offense can score more than their offense. Score prediction???
Later this week.
Vance O vs Richmond's O. If Richmond shuts us down they will win, if they dont the Road warriors will go to Kenan.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
704 or anyone...who are the playmakers for Vance? What names do we need to know and why? Base offense...base defense?
Not really one person, load the box like WF did we have a cpl kids that can stretch the defense..drop back in coverage we have Stephon Thompson as a power back that can bludgeon u to death. Not pay attention Joe Morris is a track guy and can gas u for 80yrs like he did vs West. Theres not 1 thing u focus on with us. And jus like Hood if u over pursue Greer is getting the awareness to scramble and create somesomet with his legs. Hes not Hood explosive but u have to respect him(had a 50 yr TD called back on a QB scramble vs West).

The 1 question I have to ask for u Richmond guys is how does Richmond(Hood) react when he lines up vs a defense that is jus as fast and athletic as him? What team did he face that matched our athleticism?

The 1 question I have to ask for u Richmond guys is how does Richmond(Hood) react when he lines up vs a defense that is jus as fast and athletic as him? What team did he face that matched our athleticism?
Problem none but that what you would expect in a 4AA west final. Same question to you. Has Vance played against anyone as dynamic as #5? Probably not. Put on the focus on 5 and let 33, 2, 4, 31, 7 beat you.

The game that had me concerned the most was Hough. I didn’t know what to expect or which team would show up. I knew they had a lot of athletes. MP...well I knew we had a good idea of who we were playing and shame on us if we didn’t adjust to it. We did well and that’s a hard team to stop when it comes to scoring.

Vance is the only one in our way now and a tough team. It’s more than our Offense against Vance D. Our D has given up some points to some very good teams here in the playoffs, but I think they have played well and we wouldn’t be here if they didn’t. They really come around in the second half and one key will be getting a great start and not get behind. Quick adjustments and keep them off the board. Their O is not to be overlooked.

The score comparisons just don’t always work. Match-ups are different and comparing scores just doesn’t always apply well. It is one way to compare, but I wouldn’t bet on two good teams by comparing scores with common opponents.

I think this will be a fun match-up and a great chess match between the coaching staffs.

Problem none but that what you would expect in a 4AA west final. Same question to you. Has Vance played against anyone as dynamic as #5? Probably not. Put on the focus on 5 and let 33, 2, 4, 31, 7 beat you.

704...I don’t know that many, if any, from our area have seen Vance play. That’s probably best answered by some one that has seen both play.

I think above is probably the best answer from us and the reason this game is so intriguing.

Really, really like #2. Uses that long frame and is explosive after the catch.

Can't coach 6'4

Your correct but I see alot of these kids play smaller because they cant track or high point the ball. He is deadly on that quick post because Hood can throw it high over the LB and the kid isnt afraid to climb the ladder.

Matchups make game. Live this matchup.

I think Vance is the second toughest test in the state RC could have played and Vance beat the one I thought would give them the most trouble, Mallard Creek.

Reactions: marsgreen
Matchups make game. Live this matchup.

I think Vance is the second toughest test in the state RC could have played and Vance beat the one I thought would give them the most trouble, Mallard Creek.

Crazy to believe that Mallard Creek and Richmond have never met on the gridiron.

Even harder to believe that the Raiders' former arch-nemesis, Independence hasn't played them in 10 years.

I guess I will chime in on this one. I've been saying defense wins "Championships" and offense puts the fans in the stands. This is a scary game because Vance is peeking at the right time. There defense is unreal but I have notice a weak link in there Armour that will hurt them in this game. Richmond has 1 6'ft and 1 6'4 WR that will take the top off your defense. Yes Hood will do his thing but what are you going to do if you key on Hood and that Bulldozer at RB. I agree Vance has a good defense but there are several weapons in that Arsenal, you got the 2 6'ft WR, Hood a Dual-threat QB, A Bulldozer at RB and a Scatback in #31 who will probably be the fastest person on the field Friday night. Yes defense wins Championships and RICHMOND has a very good defense coached by the HEAD COACH. Richmond will probably be the most well-balanced team that Vance has faced all year. I think we at times have short-term memory loss at times. Vance beat Mallard Creek, Independence, and W. Forsyth 69-14 for a combined score, can we say Defense! Richmond has beaten Hough and Myers Park 71-59! can we say Offense! On the Flip side we beat Hough who gave Vance defense fits due to the QB play and Pryor taking the TOP OFF of there defense! In the 2nd half even Mr. Pryor had his problems with Richmond's Defense, lets discuss Myers Park; Can someone please tell me a school other than schools from Florida, Texas, and California that has a 5star QB signed to Bama as a Junior, TWO 4star receivers Texas A&M & NC State bound that was ultimately shutdown the 2nd half/the entire game. YES Richmond has a defense but most important they are balanced both on offense and defense. I hear everyone talking about Echols! Wait until you see #24 for Richmond....

Defense wins championships...… Richmond by 14

I guess I will chime in on this one. I've been saying defense wins "Championships" and offense puts the fans in the stands. This is a scary game because Vance is peeking at the right time. There defense is unreal but I have notice a weak link in there Armour that will hurt them in this game. Richmond has 1 6'ft and 1 6'4 WR that will take the top off your defense. Yes Hood will do his thing but what are you going to do if you key on Hood and that Bulldozer at RB. I agree Vance has a good defense but there are several weapons in that Arsenal, you got the 2 6'ft WR, Hood a Dual-threat QB, A Bulldozer at RB and a Scatback in #31 who will probably be the fastest person on the field Friday night. Yes defense wins Championships and RICHMOND has a very good defense coached by the HEAD COACH. Richmond will probably be the most well-balanced team that Vance has faced all year. I think we at times have short-term memory loss at times. Vance beat Mallard Creek, Independence, and W. Forsyth 69-14 for a combined score, can we say Defense! Richmond has beaten Hough and Myers Park 71-59! can we say Offense! On the Flip side we beat Hough who gave Vance defense fits due to the QB play and Pryor taking the TOP OFF of there defense! In the 2nd half even Mr. Pryor had his problems with Richmond's Defense, lets discuss Myers Park; Can someone please tell me a school other than schools from Florida, Texas, and California that has a 5star QB signed to Bama as a Junior, TWO 4star receivers Texas A&M & NC State bound that was ultimately shutdown the 2nd half/the entire game. YES Richmond has a defense but most important they are balanced both on offense and defense. I hear everyone talking about Echols! Wait until you see #24 for Richmond....

Defense wins championships...… Richmond by 14
So, what you're saying is giving up 30 ppg in two playoff games is great defense. Ok, I gotcha now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT