ADVERTISEMENT

Turf Concerns

Is it a valid concern. I know a lot of our schools now have turf.
I haven't heard of the injuries on turf in high school much. Hibriten usually plays on it a few times a year and it is different but hasn't caused any injuries that I am aware of. Coaches like it because they can practice on it and it doesn't have the maintenance of grass.

Reactions: smashmouth5
No turf can keep an old man from being injured when hes playing a young man's game. Get off the field grandpa!

Turf is dangerous. I watched our QB and ILB both tear their ACLs in the same game a couple of years ago at Cramer. Not to mention there are levels of turf going from cheap to expensive. Pretty sure most HS’s go cheap. Most grass fields give if properly maintained.

All our major injuries (knee, foot, ankle) this year have ALL come on grass fields.
Turf is the way to go for high schools. Most people are going to get suckered into the NFL's data when their baseline is manicured grass practice and game fields with millions in funding for upkeep and full time staffs. For most high schools, their practice fields are worn to the dirt by late September and by late in the season, most game fields are in bad shape as well. Artificial turf provides a safe and consistent surface that can be practiced and played on year round and I would be willing to bet that in those circumstances where funding and upkeep are at a minimum compared to college and the NFL, that injury rates are actually lowered especially soft tissue injuries.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT