ADVERTISEMENT

West Davidson - Surprised to be Winless?!?!

PrepFanNC

Oct 10, 2017

anyone even remotely familiar with West Davidson's sinking ship of a football program had to have seen this coming.

I let my subscription to the online version of The Dispatch lapse a few years back, but I might have to go buy a copy and check out this article. Its written by Carlton Hurt, former standout QB for West when they were a very solid and consistent team. He does a great job of telling a story.

But again, this has been a collapse that has been coming for over a decade now.

anyone even remotely familiar with West Davidson's sinking ship of a football program had to have seen this coming.

I let my subscription to the online version of The Dispatch lapse a few years back, but I might have to go buy a copy and check out this article. Its written by Carlton Hurt, former standout QB for West when they were a very solid and consistent team. He does a great job of telling a story.

But again, this has been a collapse that has been coming for over a decade now.
Copy and paste article in archive.is If it’s been read it will come up quickly, if not it takes about 30 seconds to load. Works on any article behind a pay wall. It is a safe site, I use it most every day.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
It is respectful that the HC takes ownership. Yes, JV went 8-2, but that does not always translate to Varsity. It appears as though fresh blood is needed badly all around. A lot of vacancies in Tyro for teachers, but how many were to hire coaches in addition to teaching. People talk a lot about the word culture, but moral victories that are accepted create downward spiral for programs and schools as a whole. Good ol boy network alive and well in some places where an outside hire could be the spark needed.

I seen West scrimmage at South Stokes last year.. I was suprised. Not in a good way of course. They had a ton of kids there, way more than any other team who was on varsity. They were big and looked massive, I was like "good grief!" Then the play started and i was like "makes since." They were very lackadaisical and seemed like they didn't care. The line wasn't that physical which was insane considering their size but I felt South and Trinity outmatched them there. They were in an offense that didn't fit them or their players and it was just rough to watch. I felt sorry for their fans.

To be honest they really need to just go outside and try to find someone new. This guy seems like he has the best of intentions but he was lost when I seen him. Regardless of what their JV record was if an HC isn't capable of running a program it isn't going to matter. Getting their ex head coaches on the staff was smart but it seems like they aren't helping either. That program just needs fresh blood. The talent's there to be improved, they just need someone to lead them there. West is an attractive job for someone who wants to come in and build up a program. There's no reason why they can be at least .500 every year.

I wish them well, I've always rooted for their program. To see them this low hurts. But Lexington's done it two times and rebounded, so can they.

Reactions: Champ_24
Reuse recycle, put in work, results minimal, can understand for a little. Don't put in word, results minimal moral victories and maybe next season for some admin and ads in that county. I seen some bball coaches that do zero in spring and summa time but get a pass. As Daba Daba Doo Dabo say ALL IN or why be a Head Coach of any team

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I've got a few friends from the West area and I've watched them over the past few years embracing the moral victories. "big things are coming". They were hanging their hat on the "builders of men" idea. I think that is a wonderful goal, but you can do that with Debate Club or Student Council too. Football offers a variety of life lessons, but put the summer work in and pull the rest of your athletes out of the hallways. West can win, but not without a bit time change.
As far as JV is concerned, that's not an indicator. Their schedule wasn't tough at all. It's not a bad thing to win and gain some momentum, but I hope they just don't hang their hat on that and expect the wins to come. That's been the case in Tyro for way too long now.

Reactions: Champ_24
West usually has one of the biggest rosters and the best overall size in the county. They are big and slow and run an offense designed for faster teams. Thus the 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 seasons they put together. Tyro typically has a decent team and finishes pretty good in the MS league. The JV's win some games but when it is Varsity they just shut down. A culture change will require a move from local guys to someone that will shake the bushes, push weight training, conditioning and toughness on those kids. Coaches that stay on year after year to get the crap beat out of you are accepting defeat and complacent. Why do it when you can go to LHS, CD, ND, OG, THS, LEX and have a much better chance of winning and seeing your hard work, time and energy payoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT