ADVERTISEMENT

The Appalachian Mountain Range

Really late for me, especially since I am still trying to figure out how they both can lose.
Kinda like, for me, when the charter plays orange/blue in baseball?
Yeah I get it 👍

And you should be a Red Sox fan, since 1976, and live in middle of NC! 😂😂

It won’t let me reply to any specific comment but GOOD GRIEF Mt. Airy has a Chili’s! How big of place is this modern day Mayberry? There isn’t a single (real) Chili’s anywhere west of Asheville. 🤣 I say “real” because there is one at WCU but it is just takeout.

Oh, and while some of you are nitpicking over elevation, I live at 2800ft elevation and I’m in the river valley, for what it’s worth.

Reactions: thekidd12
TD it’s doing that to me on page 2 now. This is like a haunted thread or something…
Oh by the way, y’all got a Cracker Barrel and a Chili’s?
Dude Ramseur lost their Hardee’s a few years back. What kind of town loses a Hardee’s? They’re like the Dollar General of fast food!

We have 3 McDonalds and down to 2 Hardees but had 3 at one time. Chick-fil-A, Cracker Barrel, and a Chili’s are all within a quarter mile of each other and about 30 to 40 more places to eat in Mount Airy if not more. My guess is more. When you grow up on Aunt Bea cooking then you need plenty of places coming to town. We also have an Aunt Bea's Restaurant. This is a hungry town that has busloads of people coming on tours to visit Mayberry. Some of our hometown restaurants have been here since the 1930s like The Derby, Snappy Lunch, and The Dairy Center.

Chick-fil-A, Cracker Barrel, and a Chili’s are all within a quarter mile of each other and about 30 to 40 more places to eat in Mount Airy if not more. My guess is more. When you grow up on Aunt Bea cooking then you need plenty of places coming to town. We also have an Aunt Bea's Restaurant. This is a hungry town that has busloads of people coming on tours to visit Mayberry. Some of our hometown restaurants have been here since the 1930s like The Derby, Snappy Lunch, and The Dairy Center.
And now it works again.
Haunted I tell you..:

Y’all. Have. A. Chick. Fil. A???

In Ramseur 30-40 places to eat would have to include about 25-35 cousins, grandparents and close friends houses…😂😂😂😂

Dude they have a Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes, Highway 55 Burgers, Golden Corral, and a Starbucks.

Even have a huge Dollar Tree
Working again…
Dammit!!!

Anyway if ER ends somehow having to play up there again this year I’m tempted to lock up the doublewide, put some yard chairs in the back of the truck and head up thataway. Think the 78 Camper Special would probably make it(dual tanks you know). That camper top does pull down my mileage into the single digit range though.
Just point it northwest and look for glow of neon right?
I need to talk to momma first though. We’d probably need to leave about Wednesday morning to guarantee we’d get there game time…
You know she usually warshes on Wednesday…

Subways are like mattress stores. They're across the road from each other.

Even Ronda has a Subway
Do you mean like Dollar General, there is about 10 of those in and just outside the city. Would be more but people are fighting the county to keep some away from their part of town because they don't want the traffic. Mount Airy has several Furniture stores that sell mattresses but only one Mattress Store.

If Dollar Stores Could Meet, we have them all .

Last edited:
Where do you think the word Mount as in mountain in Mount Airy came from ? It is in the Mountains but not the highest parts.

Mount Airy's Elevation is 1,063 feet.
Murphy's Elevation is 1,539 feet just about the length of 1 & 1/2 football field higher than Mount Airy.
What about Mount Olive?

• Haha
What about Mount Olive?
That is over toward the coast and I am not sure how it got its name with an elevation of 164 feet. They make Mount Olive Pickles there, Maybe they come in with mountain-high cucumbers. lol

Actually, this is where it got its name The town of Mount Olive, North Carolina was named after the Biblical Mount of Olives and had nothing to do with a mountain.

Last edited:
Working again…
Dammit!!!

Anyway if ER ends somehow having to play up there again this year I’m tempted to lock up the doublewide, put some yard chairs in the back of the truck and head up thataway. Think the 78 Camper Special would probably make it(dual tanks you know). That camper top does pull down my mileage into the single digit range though.
Just point it northwest and look for glow of neon right?
I need to talk to momma first though. We’d probably need to leave about Wednesday morning to guarantee we’d get there game time…
You know she usually warshes on Wednesday…
You know it is a mountain town?

Where do you think the word Mount as in mountain in Mount Airy came from ? It is in the Mountains but not the highest parts.

Murphy's Elevation is 1,539 feet just about the length of 1 & 1/2 football field higher than Mount Airy.

I guess Clemmons is in the foothills:

Clemmons
Elevation

820′

Stop in the big town of Elkin on the way up and we can have a whiskey. Got a couple mighty fine cocktail bars in town. I don't think Mayberry has any of those. Just those blue collar fellas at Chili's having Budwiser tall boys
Only time been in Elkin much was when I was 10 years old our Dixie Youth All Star team won out around here and traveled to that fine place for next round. We stayed in some motel that had a Mynah bird in lobby. That thing was first talking bird most of us had ever seen. It also cussed like a sailor. Ate my first Pringle potato chip on that trip. (It was 1973, not sure when they came out). There were two of us per room and we shared a can. Made it last like three days 😂

Reactions: TD-FridayNight

I guess Clemmons is in the foothills:

Clemmons
Elevation

820′
Profile photo for Kib Shorey

Kib Shorey
Lives in Cleveland GeorgiaAuthor has 447 answers and 69K answer views2y
Well, Mt. Dora in Florida is 184 feet above sea level, but most folks say that it’s just a town, not a mountain. However, Iron Mountain and Sandy Mountain are both legitimately labeled as mountains, and both soar to 295 feet. The International Exotic Expedition Association (IEEA) reports that neither oxygen nor sherpas are needed for either climb.

Another possibility is Mount Trashmore just north of Fort Lauderdale at 230 feet. On a clear day, you can see all the way from its peak to the Atlantic coast, almost 5 1/4 miles away. The mountain wouldn’t be this high if the residents were more into recycling.
Looks like most anything could be called a mountain - although we’ve been cautioned not to call it a mountain if it’s only a molehill (or a landfill.)

Profile photo for Kib Shorey
Kib Shorey
Lives in Cleveland GeorgiaAuthor has 447 answers and 69K answer views2y
Well, Mt. Dora in Florida is 184 feet above sea level, but most folks say that it’s just a town, not a mountain. However, Iron Mountain and Sandy Mountain are both legitimately labeled as mountains, and both soar to 295 feet. The International Exotic Expedition Association (IEEA) reports that neither oxygen nor sherpas are needed for either climb.

Another possibility is Mount Trashmore just north of Fort Lauderdale at 230 feet. On a clear day, you can see all the way from its peak to the Atlantic coast, almost 5 1/4 miles away. The mountain wouldn’t be this high if the residents were more into recycling.
Looks like most anything could be called a mountain - although we’ve been cautioned not to call it a mountain if it’s only a molehill (or a landfill.)
Blue Ridge Heritage

TD it’s doing that to me on page 2 now. This is like a haunted thread or something…
Oh by the way, y’all got a Cracker Barrel and a Chili’s?
Dude Ramseur lost their Hardee’s a few years back. What kind of town loses a Hardee’s? They’re like the Dollar General of fast food!
Not sure how these Hardee's stay open in MA. Never see more than couple cars at any of them . You would need to combine all the business into one to make a profit. They closed the one in Dobson. All these old retired peoin the city got to eat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT