ADVERTISEMENT

Tell your deer.hunting stories here

West Va would probably be a stretch. I'm right near NC Zoo...

I'm going to find him tomorrow. If I speak it hopefully comes true.
Good for you brother hang in there! If I lived closer I would help ya out. I lost one once and found it about 12 days later. Something had found it after I shot it and ate and had it covered up. That’s why I couldn’t spot anything circling over it. And sometimes the vultures here don’t circle deer in cool months? The rack was ok and hooked to the skull and that’s how my cousin saw the horns sticking up out of the leaves. Don’t give up you will find him!

Bet it was a bobcat.

Several years ago I found a trash bag full of feathers in an old logging road. I followed them a bit and found a big pile of leaves and dirt. Dug around and found about half of a big gobbler. This was in January so I went home and got some traps and the next morning when I checked them I had the 32 lb bobcat that now resides on my wall.

Good for you brother hang in there! If I lived closer I would help ya out. I lost one once and found it about 12 days later. Something had found it after I shot it and ate and had it covered up. That’s why I couldn’t spot anything circling over it. And sometimes the vultures here don’t circle deer in cool months? The rack was ok and hooked to the skull and that’s how my cousin saw the horns sticking up out of the leaves. Don’t give up you will find him!
We've got coyotes here. They will probably find him before me and the buzzards. The only other time I couldn't find a deer immediately after shot was an OLD 8 point I shot on an extremely foggy afternoon. I heard him go down in field. Walked within 20 yards of him and never saw deer. Next morning fog stayed until 9AM. When it lifted I almost fell over the buck. Honestly the only thing left was his head and one front shoulder.

I left the best part out…. of the “point blank range” buck story….and it was after I pulled the trigger.

That buck jumped 10 feet high and contorted his body trying to dodge that bullet….like he was in the “Matrix”
He was already dead and didn’t know it! He made sure to dive back over that creek bank and fell over right in the middle of the creek….so I’d have to drag him back up that bank! Ugh!

The experience was spectacular….being so close! I’ll never forget it!

For future reference, here is a good link to tracking dogs, apologies if this has already been linked. There is a gentleman over on the nchuntandfish page by rhe name of bowhuntingrook who chronicles him and his dogs tracking jobs.

Go Mountaineers

For future reference, here is a good link to tracking dogs, apologies if this has already been linked. There is a gentleman over on the nchuntandfish page by rhe name of bowhuntingrook who chronicles him and his dogs tracking jobs.

Go Mountaineers
That’s good stuff. 😉

Go Mountaineers
I was going to mention that guy also
Do you go by the same name over there as you do here? Mines the same name pretty much everywhere 😂

I was going to mention that guy also
Do you go by the same name over there as you do here? Mines the same name pretty much everywhere 😂
No, someone else has the name there. I just recently started reading over there. I have yet to sign up. Interesting enough the bow hunter over there is also from Mitchell County.

Go Mountaineer.

Reactions: RealStihl
Any luck on finding your deer man ?
Spent all this morning walking that same patch of woods. Had a downpour at 5AM that lasted about an hour. Went out around 8 in steady rain. Only deer I found was a doe that looked like she had been dead about two weeks. Got every neighbor on alert for some kind of sign. Heck my cousin in law rode around his entire fence line looking and I didn’t know it until noon.
Want to thank y’all for support and trying to help. There’s just too many ways he could have went after last blood. One way is across highway to river. I always thought that’s where he came from.
I have resigned myself to not finding him. Worse part is that was deer I been hunting since before Thanksgiving.

At least I got to see him in daylight for a minute.

Dang it.

An attempt to cheer Kidd up with another hunting story!😉 This one involves finding the Big Doe that I shot with my bow while hunting on my Dad’s property. Biggest doe I’ve ever shot…my intention was to make some jerky…yep…my world famous jerky!…but we can discuss that later.

Soooo anyway. A herd of does walked into my spot…sounded like a herd of elephants coming. Crazy how sometimes deer can move so quietly and others times they sound like a herd of elephants. I picked the biggest doe…drew back and made the shot…she ran down the hill and disappeared into the woods. It was almost dark. I decided to pack all my stuff and take it to the truck and come back with a flashlight and find it. Well…I didn’t have a flashlight…so I went into Dads house and asked to borrow one. Dads’….the batteries were dead. I told Dad…no worry…I’ll drive home and get one and come back. Dad replied…no!..let me look in the garage. It’s a detached garage where he keeps his tractor, bass boat, etc.

I’ll preface this next part by saying…my Dad is in the Hall of Fame of the jimmy rigging club!😂
He comes back carrying a boat battery with a piece of rope tied to it for a handle and a shop lamp wired to the battery. 😂
Darn thing weighs 90 lbs.!
He said…go on now!…get that deer! I’ll help you skin it! It worked great…but it almost killed me! I’d drag the deer a spell…go back and carry that battery a spell!…then back to dragging the deer some more…😂😂😂!
I got her home!

Dads!… that’s good stuff!

Several years ago when I was still able to use a compound bow I was hunting on a late October morning. It was cold as TD’s opinions on refs, so I had a lot of clothes including a big coat. Side not, I forgot my arm cover. A big 8 point comes in, I draw and fire. I watch my arrow go about 10 feet then straight down. I could have threw it further with my arm. I realized the string caught my coat and he bolted off. I grabbed my horns and grunt call and went to calling as hard as BK at a wrestling match. Sure enough he came back and I was ready with my coat off. He stopped behind a two foot high white pine. I held as long as I could and then decided that little tree shouldn’t effect the shot. I let her fly and saw my arrow go right in his Buzzcoach (hindquarters). He ran off with the arrow visible on both sides. I called my hunting buddy who has a state job and he came to help me track. He showed up in dress clothes because he just got out of court. The track was surprisingly easy with lots of blood. I now only had one arrow as I couldn’t find my first one. We tracked the deer into a residents back yard and into a big Christmas tree field. Then I saw him stand up at 20 yards. I slung my last arrow and hit him right in the front shoulder, but for some reason the mechanical head didn’t open. The arrow only penetrated a few inches. The next thing I knew I had tossed my bow and was running him down in the field. I caught him and grabbed him by the horns and steer wrestled him to the ground. I soon realized this might not be such a good idea. I was getting wallered worse than a Mt. Airy defensive lineman at a Mitchell game, but my well dressed friend came to the rescue. He grabbed my arrow and finished the job by hand. Needless to say we both looked like murder victims as we were covered in blood. At least I didn’t have on my church clothes. This was my first true big buck with a bow. We swore each other to secrecy but that didn’t last very long. I’m just glad an SBI agent was a participating witness, cause when I tell this story all I hear is bull crap.

We've got coyotes here. They will probably find him before me and the buzzards. The only other time I couldn't find a deer immediately after shot was an OLD 8 point I shot on an extremely foggy afternoon. I heard him go down in field. Walked within 20 yards of him and never saw deer. Next morning fog stayed until 9AM. When it lifted I almost fell over the buck. Honestly the only thing left was his head and one front shoulder.
might have been the local gorilla lol

Several years ago when I was still able to use a compound bow I was hunting on a late October morning. It was cold as TD’s opinions on refs, so I had a lot of clothes including a big coat. Side not, I forgot my arm cover. A big 8 point comes in, I draw and fire. I watch my arrow go about 10 feet then straight down. I could have threw it further with my arm. I realized the string caught my coat and he bolted off. I grabbed my horns and grunt call and went to calling as hard as BK at a wrestling match. Sure enough he came back and I was ready with my coat off. He stopped behind a two foot high white pine. I held as long as I could and then decided that little tree shouldn’t effect the shot. I let her fly and saw my arrow go right in his Buzzcoach (hindquarters). He ran off with the arrow visible on both sides. I called my hunting buddy who has a state job and he came to help me track. He showed up in dress clothes because he just got out of court. The track was surprisingly easy with lots of blood. I now only had one arrow as I couldn’t find my first one. We tracked the deer into a residents back yard and into a big Christmas tree field. Then I saw him stand up at 20 yards. I slung my last arrow and hit him right in the front shoulder, but for some reason the mechanical head didn’t open. The arrow only penetrated a few inches. The next thing I knew I had tossed my bow and was running him down in the field. I caught him and grabbed him by the horns and steer wrestled him to the ground. I soon realized this might not be such a good idea. I was getting wallered worse than a Mt. Airy defensive lineman at a Mitchell game, but my well dressed friend came to the rescue. He grabbed my arrow and finished the job by hand. Needless to say we both looked like murder victims as we were covered in blood. At least I didn’t have on my church clothes. This was my first true big buck with a bow. We swore each other to secrecy but that didn’t last very long. I’m just glad an SBI agent was a participating witness, cause when I tell this story all I hear is bull crap.
I’m loving this! That’s great stuff!😉

I’ve read this 10 times!…keeps getting funnier every time I read it!

Dress britches! ..Be Damned!😂😂😂

Waiting anxiously on that score of the “Avery County Monster”….maybe next week.

What’s the over/under on that score?….200?

What you got?

I checked out that Appalachian Holler Hunters….there’s a great photo of it….200?

Reactions: thekidd12
Unless I’m reading the BTR records incorrectly…there’s only 3 over 200 in NC.
I’ll have to agree…the Avery county buck might just beat the #1 overall…230. Wow!

Saw your buck…Kidd. Nice!
I haven’t even been to website to see….

Thanks.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Go to Buckmasters BTR online. I just uploaded the pic over Christmas.
This it.

1862_1.jpg

That buck reminds me of a fellow that caught what possibly would’ve been the state record brown trout. He was so proud of it that he put it in the trunk of the car. Rode around showing it to everyone till it rotted lol.

That buck reminds me of a fellow that caught what possibly would’ve been the state record brown trout. He was so proud of it that he put it in the trunk of the car. Rode around showing it to everyone till it rotted lol.
Daddy had it in back of his and made us ride around all day showing everybody in community. Got him at 8:06 in AM and cleaned him around 3PM. Temperature that morning was 18 degrees so meat was fine.
Was one of the days I remember really well spending with daddy.

NC state record for a brown trout is over 24 lbs…..hard to believe. You know…you go into some places all throughout the mountains and see brown trout mounted on the wall…like general stores, convenience stores, outfitters…etc. I always thought…there ain’t no way…a fish that big is swimming around in them cricks and branches!😂
Until this one day…I went to Three Tops over in Todd, NC. Yep!…another story that’s gonna require therapy! Ugh!

Can’t help but chuckle…my hunting and fishing stories are always about the one that got away….kinda like my Maiden Blue Devils football team! 😂

Long story short….’em big browns are there!…and I would have drug this one all over the state of NC….showing it off….prolly til it rotted too!

That’s good stuff! Mhsneer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT