ADVERTISEMENT

Appalachian Trail

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I thought to do an off season subject. Hiking the Appalachian trail. I been watching youtube videos on it where hikers made their way through. For most that started did‘nt finish. I enjoy watching and seeing the scenery and their storys. For myself I have no interest in doing the hike. But has anyone on here ever hike it or have stories to tell about it.

Suggest you watch the PBS North Carolina segment on the hiker, trail named Zero, who hiked the entire trail. What’s most impressive is that he’s totally blind.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Go up to Carvers Gap all the time to walk the trail on the TN/NC line. When the Rhododendron are blooming it’s really pretty.

roan-mountain-1200x675.jpeg

Last edited:
Go up to Carvers Gap all the time to walk the trail on the TN/NC line. When the Rhododendron are blooming a it’s really pretty.

Thanks, If this is where I think it is I been to it on several occasions. I just remember going up through Bakersville then hitting a hwy 261 then go about another 14 miles from Bakersville if Im thinking right. But its been years since I been up that way. This where I saw a places to park where you could see Rhododendrons and the AT that crossed the rd. Been thinking lately about going back up there this summer to catch the Rhododendrons when they are blooming.

Reactions: Appvol
Thanks for any info. I guess Im a history nut when it comes to learning about the mountains. Lol

Thanks, If this is where I think it is I been to it on several occasions. I just remember going up through Bakersville then hitting a hwy 261 then go about another 14 miles from Bakersville if Im thinking right. But its been years since I been up that way. This where I saw a places to park where you could see Rhododendrons and the AT that crossed the rd. Been thinking lately about going back up there this summer to catch the Rhododendrons when they are blooming.
It’s easier if you go up through Roan Mountain,TN.

Check out this thru hiker from Asheville. Had the trail record at one time. Something like 50 days.

I thought to do an off season subject. Hiking the Appalachian trail. I been watching youtube videos on it where hikers made their way through. For most that started did‘nt finish. I enjoy watching and seeing the scenery and their storys. For myself I have no interest in doing the hike. But has anyone on here ever hike it or have stories to tell about it.
If you haven't read it, you might like a book called "A Walk in the Woods." Doesn't paint the Hiawassee area in the best light, but has some amusing parts. Also got made into a movie with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte a few years ago.

Personally, I've gone from Stecoah Gap to the NOC with one night accommodations in a shelter up there, and that's enough of a taste of it for me.

I just looked up some facts about the Appalachian Trail and I would never make the hike if I was 50 years younger. lol

Where does the Appalachian Trail start and end?​

A northbound Appalachian Trail thru-hike starts at Springer Mountain in northern Georgia and ends on Mount Katahdin, the highest mountain in the state of Maine.

The trail runs up most of the East Coast and southeastern U.S. It passes through 14 states in total – Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
The Appalachian Trail is over 2,190 miles long, according to the National Parks Service. The trail stretches from Georgia to Maine.

Click On MSN >

Click Below Also

Last edited:
Even if I was able to hike all of it I wouldn’t do it. Im too soft especially in my older days. Lol. Too many things can go wrong the way I see it. But more power to the ones that do it. I wouldn't mind several days of hiking of short trips is about all I can take. Lol

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Go up to Carvers Gap all the time to walk the trail on the TN/NC line. When the Rhododendron are blooming it’s really pretty.

The van had pulled over at Carver's Gap as the passengers scrambled for the McNally road map
They were lost as a twelve titted goat.
" You said you had the friggin' map, " said Willie, a long bearded feller from the south of Philly
Feelin' like they were up shat creek sans paddle or boat.

One of the passengers was a lady named Mona, who its said grew up in Greensboro's Pomona
A neighborhood on the south side
She said she'd had one of them Corvette cars prior to all the juke joints and chicken wire bars
Claimed her ex was a camel named Clyde.

The chick that sat in the back in the middle played some smokin' hot guitar and fiddle
For a few years she ran a beaver farm
Said she ran for Miss Oklahoma when she wasn't in a self induced coma
After a tree monkey nearly took off her arm.

" It shore is purdy up in here, " said Sassy, an ex topless dancer from east Tallahassee
As she gazed at the beauty of Buncombe County
She had graduated with honors from the college of Yale, but had done some time in a Norway jail
Something about a misplaced bounty.

The road map was found and it was time to go, get this thang movin' called The Dog and Pony Show
The Appalachian Trail was such good fun
We waved bye to the mountains out the vehicle winnders, the kudzu lookin' like Freddy Fender
Time to eat some fried chicken betwix a hamburger bun.

Last edited:
I hiked from Carver's Gap trail a couple of times....I started at Roan Mountain....beautiful, tough hike through rocks but worth it once you get to destination. From there, we hiked over to Little Hump, Big Hump and stayed overnight...We finished the next day hiking to US 19 E. in the Roan Mountain Community where we were picked up. Total of about 19.7 miles all together but the most scenic, tranquil, peaceful hike we have taken. It was a tough hike on day 1 but day 2 was mostly downhill which made it okay. Also, we hiked in May which was great weather. Nice during the day, in the 50-60's at night which was not too bad. No injuries just sore muscles and bones afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT