ADVERTISEMENT

Tell your deer.hunting stories here

Here’s one hot from the tree. This morning it’s REALLY foggy here. Around 7:20 I catch a glimpse of horns near edge of field about 50 yards away. I have a another stand about 200 yards from this one. Deer goes towards it and stays right in front of it for 30 minutes. Can just see flicks of tail through trees and fog. Meanwhile ugly five point starts dancing around in front of me. First deer finally makes his way back to me. About 70 yards away he stops broadside in fog right behind a tree. Downwind. Three seconds later he busts woods wide open headed outa here.

I haven’t seen a buck in daylight in three weeks….

And that’s why they call it hunting…

i was 17 years old. I had never seen a buck in the woods. My uncle’s brother took me
dog hunting with his club in Sampson County. I was leaning against a small pine tree on one
side of a logging road. I heard the dogs coming and a deer appeared running parallel to the road and then turned and ran straight to me. Bam! Got him.

I really knew nothing about bucks. All I new was an 8 point was a nice deer. I had no knowledge of spread, tine length or mass. I just knew I had just killed a 7 point and if an 8 was good. 7 was pretty good too.

I asked my parents if I could have him mounted and they said yes so we dropped him off at a taxidermist in Wilmington. Now keep in mind, this deer is about 13 inches wide and the longest tine is about 4 inches.

The taxidermist called and said that the deer was ready to view if I wanted to see him buy not ready to take home. I went to see it and when I walked into his shop, my deer was on the wall beside some really, really nice deer. Some studs. On the way back home I told my mom, that wasn’t my deer. My deer was bigger than that. I called the taxidermist and he acted as if this was a regular thing and assured me it was mine. Of course in the end it turned out to match my pictures perfectly.

I chuckle at myself when I think about this incident, but it did teach me never to frown on another’s harvest because it could be one of their first deer.

i was 17 years old. I had never seen a buck in the woods. My uncle’s brother took me
dog hunting with his club in Sampson County. I was leaning against a small pine tree on one
side of a logging road. I heard the dogs coming and a deer appeared running parallel to the road and then turned and ran straight to me. Bam! Got him.

I really knew nothing about bucks. All I new was an 8 point was a nice deer. I had no knowledge of spread, tine length or mass. I just knew I had just killed a 7 point and if an 8 was good. 7 was pretty good too.

I asked my parents if I could have him mounted and they said yes so we dropped him off at a taxidermist in Wilmington. Now keep in mind, this deer is about 13 inches wide and the longest tine is about 4 inches.

The taxidermist called and said that the deer was ready to view if I wanted to see him buy not ready to take home. I went to see it and when I walked into his shop, my deer was on the wall beside some really, really nice deer. Some studs. On the way back home I told my mom, that wasn’t my deer. My deer was bigger than that. I called the taxidermist and he acted as if this was a regular thing and assured me it was mine. Of course in the end it turned out to match my pictures perfectly.

I chuckle at myself when I think about this incident, but it did teach me never to frown on another’s harvest because it could be one of their first deer.
My first deer is an 8 point that I shot, drug and skinned myself. He is proudly displayed on a wall in my home. The only other mounted deer I have is the big one except for my son’s (which will leave when he stops renting and buys him a place). I am as proud of that first one as any other I have been lucky enough to harvest.

Well my first deer came after 2 years of hunting (I was 11) mostly by my self learning from deer and deer hunting magazine. Last day of deer season (only doe day we had) jumped a deer on top of the mountain and as it ran off I squeezed off a shot from my grandpa’s old 742 woods master 30/06 ... it rolled down the hill a ways and piled up around a tree ... I was pumped ran down to have a look .... after looking at the HUGE exit hole I promptly grabbed all 4 legs and tossed it over my shoulder and began the walk out..... it weighed probably all of 40 lbs😂. When I arrived back at home I talked about it like it was a monster !! Then mom looked and laughed..... like actually laughing but I didn’t care it was my deer. It was so small that the hind leg went into a gallon freezer bag 😂
And that started my addiction of deer hunting

Well my first deer came after 2 years of hunting (I was 11) mostly by my self learning from deer and deer hunting magazine. Last day of deer season (only doe day we had) jumped a deer on top of the mountain and as it ran off I squeezed off a shot from my grandpa’s old 742 woods master 30/06 ... it rolled down the hill a ways and piled up around a tree ... I was pumped ran down to have a look .... after looking at the HUGE exit hole I promptly grabbed all 4 legs and tossed it over my shoulder and began the walk out..... it weighed probably all of 40 lbs😂. When I arrived back at home I talked about it like it was a monster !! Then mom looked and laughed..... like actually laughing but I didn’t care it was my deer. It was so small that the hind leg went into a gallon freezer bag 😂
That’s good stuff! I’m loving that!

Little Mopar carried one out…by its ears!

I think the most rewarding and exciting time of deer hunting is the early years when you are trying to figure it out. You don’t have to have all the fancy clothes, scents and gear. You only need a weapon and desire to hit the woods - the deer will teach you the rest!

I think the most rewarding and exciting time of deer hunting is the early years when you are trying to figure it out. You don’t have to have all the fancy clothes, scents and gear. You only need a weapon and desire to hit the woods - the deer will teach you the rest!
Yes !!! After many years of hunting I kinda fell out of love until 4 years ago when I started watching some guys on YouTube called “The hunting public” they only hunt public lands and that’s what I grew up doing. So I started going and hunting public land in Polk and Rutherford co. and it was like learning to hunt all over again. My first year of hunting I didn’t see 1 deer all season ... second year finally saw deer but they were does and 1 spike.... last year it finally came together and I killed my first mature public land buck (6.5 years old 20inch 9) and this year killed another 4.5 8 pointer 18 inch.
Hunting public land was like learning to hunt all over again. I hunt a lot actually because game land is 8 mins from my house . I probably have around 40-50 hunts a year and that’s took me from 220 to 177 lbs and in a lot better shape and healthier..... and I have 1 hunt left tomorrow and I’m going into a monsters bedroom ..... it’s 3.3 miles one way over 1 2100 ft mountain and half way up another to his main bedding .... man I love this stuff

Yes !!! After many years of hunting I kinda fell out of love until 4 years ago when I started watching some guys on YouTube called “The hunting public” they only hunt public lands and that’s what I grew up doing. So I started going and hunting public land in Polk and Rutherford co. and it was like learning to hunt all over again. My first year of hunting I didn’t see 1 deer all season ... second year finally saw deer but they were does and 1 spike.... last year it finally came together and I killed my first mature public land buck (6.5 years old 20inch 9) and this year killed another 4.5 8 pointer 18 inch.
Hunting public land was like learning to hunt all over again. I hunt a lot actually because game land is 8 mins from my house . I probably have around 40-50 hunts a year and that’s took me from 220 to 177 lbs and in a lot better shape and healthier..... and I have 1 hunt left tomorrow and I’m going into a monsters bedroom ..... it’s 3.3 miles one way over 1 2100 ft mountain and half way up another to his main bedding .... man I love this stuff
I am familiar with the hunting public. Good luck tomorrow.
I usually wait to late in the year too before I push into the bedroom. Covid got me Wednesday and my fever has kept me out of the woods. Looks like I will be fine but my season is probably over.

Ok guys I'm adding an addendum to today's deer stories. Told y'all about the high rack fog deer and ugly five point this morning. Well this afternoon went back to same stand. Wind had changed and was now blowing directly into my face. Climbed into stand at 4:15 exactly. Scanned wood line and saw a set of antlers. First thought was someone had shot the deer and he made it that far before expiring. Grabbed grunt call and the joker stood up! Took four steps toward me then turned broadside. It was the heavy tall 8 point I've been hunting all year! Must have been a doe that came in late because those three bucks were around for a reason today. Anyway he got within about 150 yards and I stopped him with a bleat. Looking straight at me I took the shot. Saw white on the ground. The aforementioned doe, I'm assuming, busted up the hill on other side of creek. Turned back toward my deer and can't see him. I spent a total of three minutes in the stand. Now I don't shake that much anymore when hunting but I had to stop myself this afternoon. Called my friend, who is much younger, like 40 and he said be there in five minutes. He was there faster. Went to shot and have good blood. Deer crossed creek and same blood trail. We tracked him until dark. My friend came back after with more lights and made me stay at house (think because I'm old?). Found three spots where deer had laid down and then backed out and we are waiting until morning. I have NEVER lost a deer this way. Hopefully no rain here tonight. The deer has only been seen in daylight twice but I have pictures of him and he might be about 150ish because he is a perfect 8 with long tines and great mass.
I ain't sleeping much tonight...

I have enjoyed this thread as much as the football threads lol!! I hope you are all having a safe and happy New Years with your families. I need to swap some hunts with you fellows down there for a hunt up on my farm? Don’t know what kind of style hunting you all like but we gotta keep this thread going till football starts again. Thanks for making me feel welcomed!!

I have enjoyed this thread as much as the football threads lol!! I hope you are all having a safe and happy New Years with your families. I need to swap some hunts with you fellows down there for a hunt up on my farm? Don’t know what kind of style hunting you all like but we gotta keep this thread going till football starts again. Thanks for making me feel welcomed!!
Have a friend who lives in Chillicothe…he has slayed some giants up there! Ohio has world record quality deer! He loves to shed hunt as well. I’ve seen some of his finds…the mass of the antlers are incredible!
That’s a totally different breed of deer up there…compared to NC.

The first Ohio deer I actually saw….I couldn’t believe how wide his face was….like a daggum cow!😂

Reactions: RealStihl
Maiden Creek I know where Chillicothe, OH is. Where I grew up in WV and started deer hunting in the 80’s it was horrible buck hunting. I started working construction after I got out of high school in 89. I made friends with the guys in Ohio and would go to their places to visit and I could not believe the deer they had mounted!! Like you said about their heads, their deer looked like young steer heads and that’s not an exaggeration, lol! Foreheads were twice as wide as ours. Monster racks and just unbelievable. The guys just said they was bigger due to so many more farms and crop land over there compared to West Virginia where I was from. So with my OCD once I start something it’s wide open till I get it figured out lol! Hey if ya can’t make fun of yourself your too touchy lol!? I started making me little corn and soybean patches. Then when the Internet came out I couldn’t believe all the info on it. I used to be really up on all this but kind of slowly forget all the details. But you was spot on with what you said. Ohio’s deer are a different subspecies from the deer in WV. That’s why they was bigger. I think there was 27 or so different subspecies when I was so into this? I figure yours are different from both Ohio and ours? I think Ohio’s is called Borealis? WV’s is called Virginianus? I remember they was Greek or Latin names and I am not even close on spelling I bet lol?? Anyway I hope that didn’t sound stupid or bore ya with that? I just got a kick out of your reply talking about that. You don’t hear too many deer hunters talk about the subspecies difference between our deer regionally.

Maiden Creek I know where Chillicothe, OH is. Where I grew up in WV and started deer hunting in the 80’s it was horrible buck hunting. I started working construction after I got out of high school in 89. I made friends with the guys in Ohio and would go to their places to visit and I could not believe the deer they had mounted!! Like you said about their heads, their deer looked like young steer heads and that’s not an exaggeration, lol! Foreheads were twice as wide as ours. Monster racks and just unbelievable. The guys just said they was bigger due to so many more farms and crop land over there compared to West Virginia where I was from. So with my OCD once I start something it’s wide open till I get it figured out lol! Hey if ya can’t make fun of yourself your too touchy lol!? I started making me little corn and soybean patches. Then when the Internet came out I couldn’t believe all the info on it. I used to be really up on all this but kind of slowly forget all the details. But you was spot on with what you said. Ohio’s deer are a different subspecies from the deer in WV. That’s why they was bigger. I think there was 27 or so different subspecies when I was so into this? I figure yours are different from both Ohio and ours? I think Ohio’s is called Borealis? WV’s is called Virginianus? I remember they was Greek or Latin names and I am not even close on spelling I bet lol?? Anyway I hope that didn’t sound stupid or bore ya with that? I just got a kick out of your reply talking about that. You don’t hear too many deer hunters talk about the subspecies difference between our deer regionally.
That’s good stuff!😉

I’m still holding my breath! Kidd?

You’re awfully quiet.😔….hoping you’re just busy…skinning!😁
Nope. Just got back to house. Three of us tracked deer all over again this morning. He laid down three times. Last was among three blown over small pines. Two drops of blood coming out of there then nothing. He either doubled back towards my stand or went up what we call the mountain. The mountain is 277 acres owned by people not from around here now.
I honestly am sick about it. Saw deer hit the ground. Got a trail probably 500 yards with three lay down spots where buckets are looks like.
My wife, shocker, is going with me in a minute to walk creek and see if he doubled back.
Dang it.

Well guys never found deer. First time in my 46 years of hunting them this has happened. My neighbor is going to watch skies next couple of days. Blood on both sides of deer. Even thigh high blood on weeds and branches where originally shot. Laid down three times. I know it wasn’t gut. Can’t figure it out. And started pouring rain an hour ago.

Dang it.

I used to hunt a property with a friend. During muzzleloader season he takes a shot at a nice deer. Deer goes down and gets back up. Friend is certain deer is mortality hit. Last day of the season he kills the deer. While cleaning the deer he sees the wound. Bullet hits deer in the front of the chest and travels alomg the bome through the brisket. Lots of damage but deer just goes on living. (Lots can be said about his choice of shots but that’s another discussion)

it has been my experience that mature deer
seem to have a unbelievable will to survive and sometimes can sustain substantial damage and survive or at least survive long enough to evade the hunter.

At distance, a slight undetected quartering can substantially change bullet impact.

I certainly am not questioning your shot kidd. You probably know a lot more about hunting and ballistics than I do. Again, I hate it for you.

I used to hunt a property with a friend. During muzzleloader season he takes a shot at a nice deer. Deer goes down and gets back up. Friend is certain deer is mortality hit. Last day of the season he kills the deer. While cleaning the deer he sees the wound. Bullet hits deer in the front of the chest and travels alomg the bome through the brisket. Lots of damage but deer just goes on living. (Lots can be said about his choice of shots but that’s another discussion)

it has been my experience that mature deer
seem to have a unbelievable will to survive and sometimes can sustain substantial damage and survive or at least survive long enough to evade the hunter.

At distance, a slight undetected quartering can substantially change bullet impact.

I certainly am not questioning your shot kidd. You probably know a lot more about hunting and ballistics than I do. Again, I hate it for you.
Hunting maybe but I doubt it. What’s irritating me Is I was shooting Winchester Xpoints instead of Remington CoreLokt. CoreLokt has never let me down.

And I have 4 1/2 boxes in gun safe!

Well guys never found deer. First time in my 46 years of hunting them this has happened. My neighbor is going to watch skies next couple of days. Blood on both sides of deer. Even thigh high blood on weeds and branches where originally shot. Laid down three times. I know it wasn’t gut. Can’t figure it out. And started pouring rain an hour ago.

Dang it.
Have you tried to contact a tracker? Man that really stings... I lost one last year looked for him for 3 days strait. Me and 2 of my sons looked what I felt like was everywhere.... I even looked this season to see if I could find a dead head. I truly had that man.
I finished my season soaked to the bone and cold in 20 mph winds with zero deer seen

Have you tried to contact a tracker? Man that really stings... I lost one last year looked for him for 3 days strait. Me and 2 of my sons looked what I felt like was everywhere.... I even looked this season to see if I could find a dead head. I truly had that man.
I finished my season soaked to the bone and cold in 20 mph winds with zero deer seen
If rain stops tomorrow I’m going back at it. Blood and scent probably be gone. He either went across a highway, which would be backtracking, or would have had to jump a couple of high tensile electric fences, which I don’t think he could do. After looking at deer cam pics of him again I really want to find him. Only times he has been seen in daylight was bow season by my 2nd cousin, who dropped arrow off rest, and going along wood line of my brother’s, who doesn’t hunt anymore. Spread is about an inch outside both ears and tines look like better than 7 all way. Even brow tines look like maybe 4 inches.

Dang it

Oh and while I was awake almost all night last night I sent a pic of big deer to Buckmasters. They replied they would post in next update. Whenever that is?
One more humble brag about that deer. He ranks 36th in all the Buckmasters categories for NC. Third in Randolph behind 2 deer taken by the same man.
Not bad for a guy who at the time was wearing army surplus camo. (And had that porn stash)

If rain stops tomorrow I’m going back at it. Blood and scent probably be gone. He either went across a highway, which would be backtracking, or would have had to jump a couple of high tensile electric fences, which I don’t think he could do. After looking at deer cam pics of him again I really want to find him. Only times he has been seen in daylight was bow season by my 2nd cousin, who dropped arrow off rest, and going along wood line of my brother’s, who doesn’t hunt anymore. Spread is about an inch outside both ears and tines look like better than 7 all way. Even brow tines look like maybe 4 inches.

Dang it
A good tracking dog can still track after a rain ... it’s crazy sounding but I have seen videos of deer that was tracked and found after a rain. It would be worth a call and just see. United blood trackers has a web sight and you can see if any trackers are in your area.
On another note on my way to the woods to hunt today I pass something in the road dead... had a look and it looked weird so I turn around and go back and it was a River otter. Never seen one before so I text the game warden and ask if I could pick it up legally ... he said yes but I had 10 days to do something with it so I’m gonna look for a taxidermist to mount it tomorrow or send it out to have it soft tanned ... I thing it would make a cool mount to have by the fireplace on a piece of drift wood

A good tracking dog can still track after a rain ... it’s crazy sounding but I have seen videos of deer that was tracked and found after a rain. It would be worth a call and just see. United blood trackers has a web sight and you can see if any trackers are in your area.
On another note on my way to the woods to hunt today I pass something in the road dead... had a look and it looked weird so I turn around and go back and it was a River otter. Never seen one before so I text the game warden and ask if I could pick it up legally ... he said yes but I had 10 days to do something with it so I’m gonna look for a taxidermist to mount it tomorrow or send it out to have it soft tanned ... I thing it would make a cool mount to have by the fireplace on a piece of drift wood
I'll check out that site, Thank you.

River otter? Now that's unusual...

Mopar are you, and if you are how long, married?

Because mine gripes about my deer heads and I have just the two.

Now my son has three but he is safe for now anyway...

I'll check out that site, Thank you.

River otter? Now that's unusual...

Mopar are you, and if you are how long, married?

Because mine gripes about my deer heads and I have just the two.

Now my son has three but he is safe for now anyway...

Yeah I married and have been for a long time ....23 years (I’m 43)
I have it made actually... I hunt and fish A LOT and never a bad word I also have a addiction to buying guns ... that gets me in trouble a tiny amount 😂 but not really (even tho she said it’s getting out of control.... kinda has tho )
No fusses over mounts either .. I know some lady’s may not like them but my house is ... well ... outdoorsy and not so much girly 😂

thekidd22 there is a guy that tracked deer for years on the West Virginia deer hunters Facebook page. Can’t remember his name but I thought he lived in the southern part of West Virginia? I haven’t been on my Facebook page since 2016 so I am not exactly sure of how it looks or who’s active on it? But the man went all over the place tracking deer for people. Good luck on the recovery I hope you find him.

Here this is a better understanding... I had a pet raccoon that lived inside and slept in the closet for 2 years and he would get in bed a cuddle like a dog 😂. Raccoons are the cleanest pet I have ever had !!! Way better than a dog or cat 😂

Yeah I married and have been for a long time ....23 years (I’m 43)
I have it made actually... I hunt and fish A LOT and never a bad word I also have a addiction to buying guns ... that gets me in trouble a tiny amount 😂 but not really (even tho she said it’s getting out of control.... kinda has tho )
No fusses over mounts either .. I know some lady’s may not like them but my house is ... well ... outdoorsy and not so much girly 😂
Hold on to her tight...

She's a rarity...

I like her already

Here this is a better understanding... I had a pet raccoon that lived inside and slept in the closet for 2 years and he would get in bed a cuddle like a dog 😂. Raccoons are the cleanest pet I have ever had !!! Way better than a dog or cat 😂
Dude tell Ellie Mae I'm available, you know if God forbid something happens to you...

Now I'll have to figure out how to tell my wife though...

thekidd22 there is a guy that tracked deer for years on the West Virginia deer hunters Facebook page. Can’t remember his name but I thought he lived in the southern part of West Virginia? I haven’t been on my Facebook page since 2016 so I am not exactly sure of how it looks or who’s active on it? But the man went all over the place tracking deer for people. Good luck on the recovery I hope you find him.
West Va would probably be a stretch. I'm right near NC Zoo...

I'm going to find him tomorrow. If I speak it hopefully comes true.

My wife is a saint lol. I'm sitting here looking at 6 deer, 5 turkey, a bear, a bobcat, and an antelope.
I've been lucky enough to take 3 out of 5 of those animals. Only experience with a bear was on the coast and that was the biggest, quietest thing I had ever seen. And had 3 cubs with her. I got as small as I could while holding a 12 loaded with buckshot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT