ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Robbinsville

By all means I want to play the game. I'm just saying if you have 3 or 4 lineman out and you are still practicing and scrimmaging you should have to play. Robbinsville and Murphy each had 3 lineman out with injuries at various times last year. But they kept playing .
I guess Robbinsville fans are just very frustrated. Robbinsville has not canceled any games but due to school closing 2 weeks and then 2 open weeks back to back its basically felt like we haven't had a season. Our team has delt with covid just as every school in the state has.
Our schedule has been

-Robbinsville vs Asheville ( had some players quarantined)
-Robbinsville vs Brevard ( players quarantined)
-Robbinsville vs MH canceled
-Robbinsville vs Smoky canceled
-Open
-(Open)picked up Lenoir City
-Swain canceled

You do know why we originally had two opens dont you?

I don't think any team in WNC has had the uphill battle we've had this year. I think we would be pretty good if we could've play some football. We are going into week 7. After 7 weeks we will have played 3 games and only one game in the last five weeks. Not to mention the lost practices.
Crazy.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Elkin and EW played las night. I'm thinking they will be playing 3 games in 10 days. They said you have to get nchsaa to approve it. Others are also doing this.

Supposedly Union County was on Robbinsville’s schedule. The moment Coach Nelson signed on there he had them drop Robbinsville and pickup Murphy. I have not firsthand knowledge just a rumor.

You played Brevard, what happened the following monday? How many positive COVID cases resulted from that venture to Brevard? Do you still practice during your weeks without a game? Do you think bye weeks result in no practices at all? Should the kids without COVID or close contact just have to go home and not practice? No they shouldn't. Come on BK, you have more football knowledge that that. You take every opportunity you can to get better every day. Swain has played games without starters due to COVID already, now they do not have enough to play, simple as that.
Robbinsville did not practice the two weeks school was closed….

Reactions: BK13T-$
Let's reverse roles a minute. If rville was going to have to play friday night without 12 starters would you still be pushing so hard to try to make it happen?
Son, they don't care who they got or the other teams got they'll line up and play. Yet idk how many times they have rescheduled games bc of rain lol.

• Wow
Let's reverse roles a minute. If rville was going to have to play friday night without 12 starters would you still be pushing so hard to try to make it happen?
And likewise if Murphy was about to lose your homecoming game, would you be hoping it would be played?
Just depends on which side of it your on. Week 7 and robbinsville has had 1 home game and 2 away. Yes you would be frustrated too.

Son, they don't care who they got or the other teams got they'll line up and play. Yet idk how many times they have rescheduled games bc of rain lol.
Not in the neighborhood of true. Robbinsville has canceled 2 games this year due to covid in the school. Only difference is the administration shut down practice and games in all sports. Disappointing but the right thing to do.

Little bit of a different issue here. You are asking Robbinsville to play in in between 2 games. This is not just move the Friday game to Monday. If that was the case, I am sure they would be ok with it.

And likewise if Murphy was about to lose your homecoming game, would you be hoping it would be played?
Just depends on which side of it your on. Week 7 and robbinsville has had 1 home game and 2 away. Yes you would be frustrated too.

Nobody said it wasn't frustrating but it is what it is. Teams have no control over when or who gets COVID or has to be quarantined. However, there are options to make the game up at a later date when hopefully both teams are semi-healthy. With that being said, that is what any team in the conference will have to do if this situation happens to them. This is not some elaborate scheme by Swain to try and get an advantage over Rville by making them play multiple games in a week.......

Nobody said it wasn't frustrating but it is what it is. Teams have no control over when or who gets COVID or has to be quarantined. However, there are options to make the game up at a later date when hopefully both teams are semi-healthy. With that being said, that is what any team in the conference will have to do if this situation happens to them. This is not some elaborate scheme by Swain to try and get an advantage over Rville by making them play multiple games in a week.......
Finally a response with some sense. No one and I mean no one can control this covid crap. Conference play is the worst time possible for this. No one even mentioning the safety factor of having kids play in a game that cannot protect themselves or their teammates. You cannot just plug and play players at the 1A level. Drop off in most cases skill wise, is massive from a starter to even a back up a lot of times. Its gonna hit us all, just terrible timing for the folks over at Swain and the guys at Robbinsville.

Can you or any of those that liked your post show proof that 12 will be out?

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Never said it was an elaborate scheme of any kind...go back and read my posts slowly on this thread. Understand why their not playing.. the post I responded to initially was accusing all rville people for pushing swain to play. While inferring that the reason they canceled is because some starters couldn't play.

I personally will not come on here and post teenage boys health conditions. Just doesn’t feel right in my morals. But I promise you Swain is missing well over 12 players

Look, I'm on your team but disagree on this issue. Unfortunately many in our county are ignorant about covid as the statistics will prove...if you need proof. There is more to it than just the number of positives. How many are having to quarantine? How many will be positive by Friday?

However, I agree it's not a good look for Swain to continue to practice while canceling games. If they can't play then they need to shut it down til they can.

Look, I'm on your team but disagree on this issue. Unfortunately many in our county are ignorant about covid as the statistics will prove...if you need proof. There is more to it than just the number of positives. How many are having to quarantine? How many will be positive by Friday?

However, I agree it's not a good look for Swain to continue to practice while canceling games. If they can't play then they need to shut it down til they can.
I've got no dogs in this fight but my question is...were the 12 boys in quarantine at the practice? I mean I assume the coaches and athletic directors from the two schools have talked and have decided to at least postpone the game and then Swain has a practice with just the remaining boys who have not ether tested positive or quarantined due to contact tracing, I personally don't see a big deal. Again I assume the 12 in quarantine or any others are doing just that and are staying home.

Reactions: sbbbfan
If Swain intends to make this game up, then fine. Excessive quarantines happen. At that point the worst part is homecoming night is messed up for some families who it is a big deal to. If Swain has no intention of making this game up, then it's probably best I keep my opinion to myself...

Well, here is my take. My concern is for the players. I think playing 3 games in 8 days would be unwise. If players are missing practice then the players will not be in peak condition.. I would say call it a forfeit or no contest, but don't put the players at greater risk.

BTW someone suggested moving JVs up. You can but once up they have to stay up and can not return to JVs.

Yes in JVs but the SMC has Junior High.
All 10th,11th, and 12th graders are ALWAYS Varsity. 7,8,and 9th are JH.
Freshman only can play Varsity or JH but once they move up to Varsity they CANNOT move back down. Also our JH can't play vs JVs because Sophomore are not allowed to play vs 8th graders.

Reactions: KW23
Well, here is my take. My concern is for the players. I think playing 3 games in 8 days would be unwise. If players are missing practice then the players will not be in peak condition.. I would say call it a forfeit or no contest, but don't put the players at greater risk.

BTW someone suggested moving JVs up. You can but once up they have to stay up and can not return to JVs.
I hadnt thought of that. That could be tough on Robbinsville. We have little depth and often need a week between games to recover. Three games in 8 days might be asking for injuries….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT