ADVERTISEMENT

Statesville

Would be really good gates too I would say. They're in a really good location to schedule good games without having to travel far.

Would be really good gates too I would say. They're in a really good location to schedule good games without having to travel far.
Yes they need to stop getting teams like Walkertown and such - I don’t mind AC for the Opener but if it isn’t the opener then leave it off

That’s your opinion; Statesville shares similarities with Those school maybe not all the same but similar struggles

Statesville has their own program I think call cross roads or whatever which is included with Statesville enrollment

ALSO Like I said I lived in Statesville for atleast 5-7 years bc I lived for 3 years in first time n then atleast another 3-4 years before I moved to AZ ; So Like I said I lived in All 3 major towns in Iredell co so I don’t see it from a Mooresville prospective - I lived in Downtown Statesville, I lived near Rabbit town n I lived in West Iredell/Catawba area of Iredell co

Again I know what these coaches would do, I know a lot stuff some people don’t and I know all these coaches too so Again They would do well at Statesville but I stand by what I said about Miller - I love him n all but There reasons I believe he doesn’t fit at Statesville: if u wanna message me on FB/Twitter , Text me since You know who I am I am willing say those thing in Private

Statesville is full athletes it’s known year in n out.
Again, Miller would fit just fine with Statesville. He could coach anywhere. And there are reasons I can explain on here as to why he would do well if given the job. Do you realize how hard nosed Doyle Mintz, Coach Jackson, and Coach Pat Tate where? I’m telling you a disciplinarian is much needed. Black, blue, whatever. I’m from the part of Statesville that the majority of those athletes come from. Believe me, Power Cross has done more for those athletes than Statesville as a program has. Miller would have done more with the amount of talent Statesville had. If you are in the know, ask those former Mooresville coaches (Capps, Latham, Hoppy, Jackson) about what they would’ve done with the players passing through those halls at Statesville. You could give Johnny O at Lake Norman this team and it would be shocking in the difference.

Having lived near and coached for and against those schools you mentioned, there is little comparison between Vance, West Charlotte, and Statesville other than they are majority black schools with athletes. The areas are completely different.

Again, Miller would fit just fine with Statesville. He could coach anywhere. And there are reasons I can explain on here as to why he would do well if given the job. Do you realize how hard nosed Doyle Mintz, Coach Jackson, and Coach Pat Tate where? I’m telling you a disciplinarian is much needed. Black, blue, whatever. I’m from the part of Statesville that the majority of those athletes come from. Believe me, Power Cross has done more for those athletes than Statesville as a program has. Miller would have done more with the amount of talent Statesville had. If you are in the know, ask those former Mooresville coaches (Capps, Latham, Hoppy, Jackson) about what they would’ve done with the players passing through those halls at Statesville. You could give Johnny O at Lake Norman this team and it would be shocking in the difference.

Having lived near and coached for and against those schools you mentioned, there is little comparison between Vance, West Charlotte, and Statesville other than they are majority black schools with athletes. The areas are completely different.
I’m not keep going back n forth - I stand by what I say like you stand by what you say

we can agree to disagree period , end of story

Reactions: UNC91
also if u know me well then you know I been Critical on statesville forever and also at one point I didn’t mind Miller for statesville job but my opinion changed over the years

I agree they need to schedule teams like Freedom, AL Brown, Mooresville, but ISS say they must schedule ISS schools n hickory is a given every year so
I said I know you. I didn’t say I knew you well. South is a tough job due to the administration. Several coaches burned out at South.

I said I know you. I didn’t say I knew you well. South is a tough job due to the administration. Several coaches burned out at South.
Trust me I know more about South then you know - I have my sources and that’s why I said Miller wouldn’t fit at Statesville is by what I know from SI

Also My # is 704-253-3511 ; Facebook is Kyle Zumbach - Twitter is KyleZoomZumbach so Message me I’ll tell you my thoughts

• Haha
We scrimmaged North Meck under Bost. Would do wonders for Statesville to line up against a speedy Vance team (maybe too much of a draw, a North Meck. You have to recall that this staff also always had trouble playing schools in the split conference. They gave up almost 40+ and went 0-4 against Mooresville when in the same conference.

*Kyle I know who you are 🙄. Believe me you never know who is on this board, where they coached, who they know, nor what they know. I know where you get information from too. It’s a small world.

• Haha
We scrimmaged North Meck under Bost. Would do wonders for Statesville to line up against a speedy Vance team (maybe too much of a draw, a North Meck. You have to recall that this staff also always had trouble playing schools in the split conference. They gave up almost 40+ and went 0-4 against Mooresville when in the same conference.

*Kyle I know who you are 🙄. Believe me you never know who is on this board, where they coached, who they know, nor what they know. I know where you get information from too. It’s a small world.
Make up your mind you said u know me but not well so which one is it? And Good for you…. I’m glad you know where I get my info from

Also there are coaches , AD, Fans , Players, Etc all on this board but most stay hidden and won’t say who they are- I always been open n people know who I am - I don’t hide behind a screen name even tho it’s obvious tho in name who I pull for etc

I have no further comment until hiring process is started n we start getting more info about the job n candidates

Make up your mind you said u know me but not well so which one is it? And Good for you…. I’m glad you know where I get my info from

Also there are coaches , AD, Fans , Players, Etc all on this board but most stay hidden and won’t say who they are- I always been open n people know who I am - I don’t hide behind a screen name even tho it’s obvious tho in name who I pull for etc
🤷🏾‍♂️ calm down. Yes, you can know of someone but not know them well. You’ve posted in the Statesville FB group the same skepticism about Miller. Who’s hiding on a message board?

I stated an opinion about a program I played for and know (AD, Principal, Current Coaches), and how from what I know and have heard several times from your “sources” that coached with Miller that he would be great for the program (Statesville).

There are a few other very interesting names that are said to be interested (that information won’t come from the Statesville Football Facebook page). So we will see.

• Haha
Just because I didnt go statesville, and this n that doesn't mean I dont know but you know ill let you so called "experts" handle this topic - because I'm wrong , your right ...... SO good for you. Miller works 4 days a week n make same $ at Power cross so why hell would he leave? i wouldnt but hey im sure you know what best right

Go kick rocks .... I'm done Good bye

I can’t say who would be best fit for Statesville. But my opinion on Miller when he was at South Iredell. The record speaks for itself. Starting as head coach back in 2010 he went undefeated in regular season the 1st 2 years. Won 2AA State Championship game his 3rd year. Went 3 3rd rds in the playoffs. Had some more appearances in the playoffs by going 1 or 2 rds in the playoffs. We know South Iredell wasn’t a football school from before he became head coach. They did have some decent seasons, especially during the Tyrone Westmoreland days. Not saying another coach will come in and have the success as Miller had. But he will be a hard act to follow..

Reactions: footballerguy.83
Just because I didnt go statesville, and this n that doesn't mean I dont know but you know ill let you so called "experts" handle this topic - because I'm wrong , your right ...... SO good for you. Miller works 4 days a week n make same $ at Power cross so why hell would he leave? i wouldnt but hey im sure you know what best right

Go kick rocks .... I'm done Good bye
🤦🏾‍♂️ You’re too invested. No expertise needed on opinion. I stated my opinion, you can have yours too. I could care less where you went. I could care less who is wrong or who is right. We will all see the chosen candidate.

Why would you post what the man does or how many days he does it? And, I never said he would leave. I said he would be a great fit at the school in response to you saying that he wouldn’t. I also provided in earlier post that Statesville has had several hard nosed coaches with military backgrounds. You offered your opinion, I gave you a few facts as to what I know from being coached by those hard nosed coaches and also my opinion on the next step. That’s what happens on message boards.

To answer your last part as to the why. Coaches have it in them to coach, it’s hard to move away from those Friday nights. New opportunities take coaches to new places all the time, hell did you not see the prior two Mooresville coaches leave for opportunities at their alma mater? (Or were you in the know on that too?)

All in all, Miller would be wonderful at Statesville. If Oliphant wanted to leave the Lake for Statesville, he would be wonderful. If Gritton or the former coach at West (both black) took the job, they would be wonderful. If Coach Henry, DC at Benedict College, a discipline guy, got the job, he would be wonderful. Statesville will win that conference regardless of who coaches. It’s about getting a coach that preaches the discipline needed in big games that reduces penalties and missed assignments when the talent evens out. Because that’s what had been missing.

We will see

Some of us played for Stewert too. Is he a great person, yes. But, Statesville struggled several times since Stewert has been the DC when coaching mattered. No offense to Stewert, but in the same manner we mention Dudley, we have to mention those several years where that defense was severely out coached. Kings Mountain, Charlotte Catholic, any big name team prior to Dudley ran it up against Statesville. Talent wins that conference, but everyone in Statesville knows what happens when the talent evens out.
Ok name a team that this has not happened to. Every team has its ups and downs defensively and offensively. I think this is just flat out cherry picking. Carolina just lost the national championship because they blew a big lead against Kansas before that they blew a big lead against Baylor and almost lost also. Does this mean Hubert is not and will not be a good coach? Every coach has strengths and weaknesses just like the team. Look at South Point and the number of state titles they have won being a predominately running team. BUT when they face a team that has a good defense they struggle. Is that the coaches fault? You do the best with what you have at the time. Also in HS ball, there are teams that are just better than you. I have linked with Statesville football since the early 90s and been to just about every game game since then. Interviewed the coaches and alot of players. The atmosphere is primed for this program to get back to where it was in the 80s and early 90s on a consistent basis. An outside coach other than Stewart or maybe Miller would keep it going. I say this based on fact and a familiarity with both coaches. There is something else I would love to share concerning this situation that I noticed last season that were let's say were "interesting" at some of the games. Sort of caught me by surprise but it looks to be making sense now. Just an interesting conversation with an individual concerning Statesville football. Finally, I have been asked numerous times about this situation recently. I have said that I would like to see Greg Stewart as head coach if he wants it. And if I run into Greg locally, I will ask him myself. Lastly I work with some ex players and Statesville fans and guess what? They would like to see Greg Stewart take the job.

Reactions: FormerDog38
FYI - Just by doing a quick search - Statesville HS has a Enrollment of at 40%+ Majority of Black students with only a 24% white n other majority is other races - 77% of total population is considered a Minority

I lived in statesville so I know as well statesville isn’t just a Black town, Yes there are white folks but most of folks I know who are white live in West Iredell/Rural area not saying that’s everyone but most of friends I know

If u look at West Iredell / NIHS - North only at 25% minority and only 5.6% black and West 31-32% minority with 14% black

Statesville to me is Inner city school similar to Vance or West Charlotte so it’s translate into sports they struggle in Baseball, Softball, Wrestling or whatever but excel In Basketball n Football

Note: I’m not trying make this into Race, Idc what race they hire or whatever but Some school would excel with Black HC or White HC depending on Demographics and Surrounding Community and Other factors. I have heard others say the same thing that this school would do better with Black HC or this or that. There are Benefits on hiring a black HC bc they are relate to student, understand the community and needs etc
Agree 100%

To some of the names like Miller and Cowan that have been mentioned. Could they be pursuing the West Iredell job? I would be in favor of Miller if i was Statesville. Just a name to throw out. Laymarr Marshall assistiant at MT Tabor. He would be a good fit for Statesville, but i doubt he would leave MT Tabor. Hope the Adminstration makes the right hire for the Statesville job.

Do you guys mean he’s retiring at the end of the school year or the end of the calendar year. If it’s the end of the calendar year, they could check out Coach Sosebee, Crest will probably be ready to run him off by then.

Ok name a team that this has not happened to. Every team has its ups and downs defensively and offensively. I think this is just flat out cherry picking. Carolina just lost the national championship because they blew a big lead against Kansas before that they blew a big lead against Baylor and almost lost also. Does this mean Hubert is not and will not be a good coach? Every coach has strengths and weaknesses just like the team. Look at South Point and the number of state titles they have won being a predominately running team. BUT when they face a team that has a good defense they struggle. Is that the coaches fault? You do the best with what you have at the time. Also in HS ball, there are teams that are just better than you. I have linked with Statesville football since the early 90s and been to just about every game game since then. Interviewed the coaches and alot of players. The atmosphere is primed for this program to get back to where it was in the 80s and early 90s on a consistent basis. An outside coach other than Stewart or maybe Miller would keep it going. I say this based on fact and a familiarity with both coaches. There is something else I would love to share concerning this situation that I noticed last season that were let's say were "interesting" at some of the games. Sort of caught me by surprise but it looks to be making sense now. Just an interesting conversation with an individual concerning Statesville football. Finally, I have been asked numerous times about this situation recently. I have said that I would like to see Greg Stewart as head coach if he wants it. And if I run into Greg locally, I will ask him myself. Lastly I work with some ex players and Statesville fans and guess what? They would like to see Greg Stewart take the job.
Statesville is in no way, shape, nor form similar to the Carolina situation.

Correct, coaches have weaknesses, it’s just that the weaknesses of Statesville are masked by playing in a weaker conference. In the current conference, as well as several times over the last few years, Statesville has had more pure athletes on the field. No shift in scheme required. Jet sweep, bubble screen, QB sweep, 9 route wins majority of the time when playing North Iredell. When the athleticism is negated, and coaching matters, we see all the deficiencies and areas Statesville has not been coached up in. When the coaching mattered offensively and defensively, Statesville has been routed numerous times. Yes, that’s on the coaches. Since you brought up Dudley earlier, let’s look at Statesville in the playoffs over the last 10 years and see if you see a trend:

2012 #2 seed 19-55 #2 seed Catholic
2013 #5 seed 49-52 #4 AC Reynolds’s
2014 #3 seed 0-42 #2 seed Cuthbertson
2015 #7 seed 21-42 #2 seed South Point
2016 #7 seed 0-38 #2 seed Weddington
2017 #10 seed 0-48 #7 seed Southwest Guilford
2018 #4 seed 21-35 #5 seed Kings Mountain
2019 #2 seed 7-38 #10 seed Kings Mountain
2020-2021 (Spring) #2 seed 21-47 #7 seed Monroe
2021 #2 seed 6-20 #3 seed Dudley

*Edit to add, last 10 playoff exits. they have scored 144 and given up 417 when facing similar teams playoff loses. That’s scoring a 14.4 points while giving up 41.7 points.

When the coaching matters, that staff was beat. With the exception of the 3 point loss to Reynolds, losing by 14 to Dudley is the closest Statesville has come to winning a game with an evenly matched program. How many teams listed above have had more pure talent than Statesville over the course of the last 10 years?

I’ve been linked to the program since before I was born. I grew up watching my uncles play in the 80’s and early 90’s. And played for a team that made a run in the mid-90’s. I’m close to several former players from all seasons. For those younger guys, Stewart is all they know. They don’t know Mintz, they don’t know Coach Henry. Stewart has been their over 20 years. But you don’t get the job solely because you have been there the longest. Stagnation has led to the program constantly being drubbed in the playoffs. Statesville should be want more than just being content beating Foard and St. Stephen’s for Conference titles.

Statesville, Iredell County sports in general needs to recognize that it’s ok to go outside of Iredell County to get a coach.

Last edited:
Agree 100%
West Charlotte is in a black area but is a magnet school similar to Berry Academy. The kids that attend West Charlotte come from all over Charlotte. Vance is located on IBM, no where near any kind of inner city, and has kids from the Northlake area, University Area, Derita Area, Mallard Creek area, and a few other places in between. Yes, those schools both have a majority black students, and West Charlotte is in a majority black area, but they are not “inner city schools.” Myers Park is closer to “inner city” Charlotte.

Again, Statesville does not compare to either with the exception of being majority black. That’s due to several kids in the Statesville district attending the IB program at South, not due to Statesville being the “inner city.” One more time, kids that would be attending Statesville attend South Iredell due to the IB program.

As far as relating to their players, that has nothing to do with the coach being the same race as their players. Tom Knotts was very successful at West Charlotte (the old local kid based West Charlotte) and one of the most successful nearby college basketball coaches was an old white guy that led HBCU Virginia Union to a few D2 championships. Good coaches build bridges and relate to all.

Well Coach Randall Gusler is Retiring at the end of the year. We wanna wish coach Gusler the best in his future endeavors and All he has done at Stateville

Whose going to be the Next HFC at Statesville HS. This job should attract local and possibly state wide Candidates and This is a very good job Imo with all the talent within Statesville
How many total years will he have as a coach there?

Mr Footballerguy.83 in your previous post you listed playoff results and followed up with the phrase, closest Statesville has come to winning a game with an evenly matched program. How do you decide which programs are evenly matched or mismatched until they play each other. We’ve all seen games lost because of coaching mistakes. South Point at Pisgah this year was a prime example but when you lose by three to five touchdowns, it’s probably can’t be blamed on coaching. In 3A and below most high school teams don’t change what they do from week to week. Sometimes your opponent is just better. Sometimes what you do just plays into their hands.

Mr Footballerguy.83 in your previous post you listed playoff results and followed up with the phrase, closest Statesville has come to winning a game with an evenly matched program. How do you decide which programs are evenly matched or mismatched until they play each other. We’ve all seen games lost because of coaching mistakes. South Point at Pisgah this year was a prime example but when you lose by three to five touchdowns, it’s probably can’t be blamed on coaching. In 3A and below most high school teams don’t change what they do from week to week. Sometimes your opponent is just better. Sometimes what you do just plays into their hands.t
Would you consider Foard, St. Stephen’s, North Iredell, or Dudley, Southwest Guilford, and King’s Mountain most evenly matched with Statesville? With South Point having played Statesville, which team(s) listed have had more or similar talent than Statesville? What was the result head-to-head?

When Wyecker had talent from Statesville at West Iredell, Statesville couldn’t beat the similarly matched team. I won’t say West Rowan because they beat everyone, but for years Statesville had just as much talent as West and consistently failed when coaching mattered. When Statesville had Mooresville and Kannapolis in conference a few years ago, how often did they beat either? Yes, coaching mistakes happen. But this has been the ongoing theme. I pulled the playoffs, as in most cases, that’s when coaching matters the most. You can coach your way right into a game. Schemes, fits, details come into play. In several instances, this staff could not adjust.

I’ll admit that evenly may not be the best word. My point is that Statesville beats the Foard’s, the current North Iredell’s, the teams they are supposed to beat. But if the game is a toss-up or if Statesville were to play up, they most often lose those games by a few touchdowns. How many games has this staff entered as an under dog (no pun intended) and won?

Statesville is in no way, shape, nor form similar to the Carolina situation.

Correct, coaches have weaknesses, it’s just that the weaknesses of Statesville are masked by playing in a weaker conference. In the current conference, as well as several times over the last few years, Statesville has had more pure athletes on the field. No shift in scheme required. Jet sweep, bubble screen, QB sweep, 9 route wins majority of the time when playing North Iredell. When the athleticism is negated, and coaching matters, we see all the deficiencies and areas Statesville has not been coached up in. When the coaching mattered offensively and defensively, Statesville has been routed numerous times. Yes, that’s on the coaches. Since you brought up Dudley earlier, let’s look at Statesville in the playoffs over the last 10 years and see if you see a trend:

2012 #2 seed 19-55 #2 seed Catholic
2013 #5 seed 49-52 #4 AC Reynolds’s
2014 #3 seed 0-42 #2 seed Cuthbertson
2015 #7 seed 21-42 #2 seed South Point
2016 #7 seed 0-38 #2 seed Weddington
2017 #10 seed 0-48 #7 seed Southwest Guilford
2018 #4 seed 21-35 #5 seed Kings Mountain
2019 #2 seed 7-38 #10 seed Kings Mountain
2020-2021 (Spring) #2 seed 21-47 #7 seed Monroe
2021 #2 seed 6-20 #3 seed Dudley

*Edit to add, last 10 playoff exits. they have scored 144 and given up 417 when facing similar teams playoff loses. That’s scoring a 14.4 points while giving up 41.7 points.

When the coaching matters, that staff was beat. With the exception of the 3 point loss to Reynolds, losing by 14 to Dudley is the closest Statesville has come to winning a game with an evenly matched program. How many teams listed above have had more pure talent than Statesville over the course of the last 10 years?

I’ve been linked to the program since before I was born. I grew up watching my uncles play in the 80’s and early 90’s. And played for a team that made a run in the mid-90’s. I’m close to several former players from all seasons. For those younger guys, Stewart is all they know. They don’t know Mintz, they don’t know Coach Henry. Stewart has been their over 20 years. But you don’t get the job solely because you have been there the longest. Stagnation has led to the program constantly being drubbed in the playoffs. Statesville should be want more than just being content beating Foard and St. Stephen’s for Conference titles.

Statesville, Iredell County sports in general needs to recognize that it’s ok to go outside of Iredell County to get a coach.
You forgot a trip to the 3a title game in the 90s. Defeated a very good South Point team in Belmont in 2012. Beat a defending state AL Brown team to get to the state final back in 1991. Lost a close western regional final to Brevard in 83 or 84. Brevard went on to win the 3a title. Amazing how you missed all that and only went back 10 years. The point for this program is to get back consistently strong like it was many years ago. Everyone has their ideas as to how and that's fine. My point is bringing an outsider in might upset the progress that had been made. After the Dudley game you should have heard the positive talk around town about the momentum of the program. Then again maybe you do not live in the area so you wouldn't know these things. Also maybe you don't know about the success of the Powercross program which you probably are NOT familiar with. There are other things that you do not know about that are making the program stronger. Is it perfect? No! But we will keep getting better. In the meantime, you can keep looking at the past scores of games and looking at the negatives as others have done on here. You could do that with alot of programs. By the way in one of the final combined top 15 polls from last season, there were 13 4a teams and 2 -3A teams. Dudley was one of the 3A teams. Guess who was the other at #8 in the state! Progress.....one step at time. Looking to the future and planning,progressing and not worrying about what happened 10 years ago!!

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerDog38
You forgot a trip to the 3a title game in the 90s. Defeated a very good South Point team in Belmont in 2012. Beat a defending state AL Brown team to get to the state final back in 1991. Lost a close western regional final to Brevard in 83 or 84. Brevard went on to win the 3a title. Amazing how you missed all that and only went back 10 years. The point for this program is to get back consistently strong like it was many years ago. Everyone has their ideas as to how and that's fine. My point is bringing an outsider in might upset the progress that had been made. After the Dudley game you should have heard the positive talk around town about the momentum of the program. Then again maybe you do not live in the area so you wouldn't know these things. Also maybe you don't know about the success of the Powercross program which you probably are NOT familiar with. There are other things that you do not know about that are making the program stronger. Is it perfect? No! But we will keep getting better. In the meantime, you can keep looking at the past scores of games and looking at the negatives as others have done on here. You could do that with alot of programs. By the way in one of the final combined top 15 polls from last season, there were 13 4a teams and 2 -3A teams. Dudley was one of the 3A teams. Guess who was the other at #8 in the state! Progress.....one step at time. Looking to the future and planning,progressing and not worrying about what happened 10 years ago!!
Blazer236, I have family who played on all those teams you mentioned. I was on the team that beat the #2 ranked Bandys 27-0. I am very familiar with Power Cross and honestly believe they do more to develop players than Statesville has.

I could’ve went back 20 years, as Gus was the OC and Stewart was on staff, and the results would have been the same. You mentioned not worrying about years ago yet had to bring up games in the 80’s and 90’s to provide relevance for the program.

Again, I’m from Statesville, played at Statesville, coached in Iredell County, Mecklenburg County, and in VA. I’m no longer coaching, moved over to work in analytics. The analytics of the program do not lie. Statesville’s prime reason for success is the limitations on who they can play by Iredell Statesville Schools and playing in a very weak conference. You need a coach similar to Miller to drill in every single week regardless of who is on schedule.

Im aware of several things, with the main being that the school needs a coach, regardless of color, who connects with people and puts butts in seats. That Statesville needs a successful booster club to thrive too.

Statesville, Iredell Statesville schools, needs to do a better job of recognizing that talented coaches do not have to be from the area and also pay to keep those coaches in place.

Statesville, with the amount of talent that has been playing together since they were young in Power Cross, should be winning championships not content with finishing #8 in a poll. Statesville needs to bring in a coach from the outside to shake the status quo.

Just wanted to add that Statesville has several former coaches and players that became teachers, admin., and coaches. If what happened with Rydell and South Iredell was wrong/bad, you should go listen to why there are so few former Statesville players on staff. Just adding that Statesville has consisted of “outsiders” for years. Why would it be a bad thing now?

Just wanted to add that Statesville has several former coaches and players that became teachers, admin., and coaches. If what happened with Rydell and South Iredell was wrong/bad, you should go listen to why there are so few former Statesville players on staff. Just adding that Statesville has consisted of “outsiders” for years. Why would it be a bad thing now?
I am just saying with the momentum from last year and what was accomplished, why risk bringing someone in that can potentially screw things up. No one is just satisfied with finishing 8th in that poll. Everyone wants a state title. Imagine if Dudley was 4A last year and not 3A. We would have probably gone to the state title game. Alot of people thought Statesville/Dudley was the 3A title game just by looking back at the way things played out. No way any of the usual suspects come into the hollow and beat us last year but of course there are always the nay-sayers. Posters on here like to use score comparisons to evaluate potential matchups. Well look at them, Dudley beat those teams easily. Momentum with a winning attitude along with great coaching came to the forefront last year with this team. The team finished with a 13-1 record and was playing lights out football. Why risk bringing someone else in who could erase all that with a different system that the kids would have to re adjust to. Evidently with the way this team played and was coached last year things were not " broken". So what's the saying: IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!! And you can't tell me that Gred Stewart did not play a HUGE part in the way the defense played "lights out football" along with some other coaches on that staff.

Last edited:
I am just saying with the momentum from last year and what was accomplished, why risk bringing someone in that can potentially screw things up. No one is just satisfied with finishing 8th in that poll. Everyone wants a state title. Imagine if Dudley was 4A last year and not 3A. We would have probably gone to the state title game. Alot of people thought Statesville/Dudley was the 3A title game just by looking back at the way things played out. No way any of the usual suspects come into the hollow and beat us last year but of course there are always the nay-sayers. Posters on here like to use score comparisons to evaluate potential matchups. Well look at them, Dudley beat those teams easily. Momentum with a winning attitude along with great coaching came to the forefront last year with this team. The team finished with a 13-1 record and was playing lights out football. Why risk bringing someone else in who could erase all that with a different system that the kids would have to re adjust to. Evidently with the way this team played and was coached last year things were not " broken". So what's the saying: IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!! And you can't tell me that Gred Stewart did not play a HUGE part in the way the defense played "lights out football" along with some other coaches on that staff.
Statesville caught a great Dudley team on an off night and still lost by 14. Dudley had 255 yards in the first half 453 in the game and kept Statesville in the game due to like 17 penalties and turnovers. Their QB had 290 total yards. Most of what Statesville did came late in the 4th quarter when Dudley begin to coast. Dudley did win easily, the best defense for Statesville was the 11 illegal procedure calls against Dudley. If Dudley was 4A, Statesville plays 10-3 Kings Mountain in their spot last year. With the current staff, they lose that game too.

Again, a lot of deficiencies Statesville has are masked by playing a very weak schedule and being in a very weak conference. It does not look broken when you play Foard, West Iredell, North Iredell, St. Stephen’s in consecutive weeks. I’m going to say it one more time, this team looks great in a weak conference. The defense was lights out because they were playing down. The offense looked amazing because they were playing teams that were getting beat by mid-tier 2A teams. Foard was 0-9, West was 1-7, North was 3-6, St. Stephen’s 2-7, Hickory 7-5. East And North Lincoln were the two best teams Statesville played. The defense was often way out of position, that’s coaching. Statesville has the athletes to make up for that playing teams in their conference. North Lincoln only gave up 37 points in this conference with 14 coming from Statesville, does that indicate their defense was lights out? The bottom 4 teams in the conference were shutout by the majority of the teams they played.

Mooresville, Lake Norman, West Rowan, Maiden, all go undefeated with the same schedule and I would certainly guarantee the defensive numbers would look the same. One more time, Statesville looks great, Stewart looks great defensively, because they played several teams that could not score if it were 11 on 7. Here’s the thing, you could have grabbed the Third Creek Middle head coach, put him in as DC, and he does the exact same thing as Stewart. The system does need to be revamped.

Go grab a Eric Morman, a Johnny Oliphant, a Scott Miller, a Jupiter Wilson, a Joe Nixon, a Darius Robinson, and I'm telling you the football you call “lights out” does not compare. Statesville needs a coach that cultivates the talent.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Statesville caught a great Dudley team on an off night and still lost by 14. Dudley had 255 yards in the first half 453 in the game and kept Statesville in the game due to like 17 penalties and turnovers. Their QB had 290 total yards. Most of what Statesville did came late in the 4th quarter when Dudley begin to coast. Dudley did win easily, the best defense for Statesville was the 11 illegal procedure calls against Dudley. If Dudley was 4A, Statesville plays 10-3 Kings Mountain in their spot last year. With the current staff, they lose that game too.

Again, a lot of deficiencies Statesville has are masked by playing a very weak schedule and being in a very weak conference. It does not look broken when you play Foard, West Iredell, North Iredell, St. Stephen’s in consecutive weeks. I’m going to say it one more time, this team looks great in a weak conference. The defense was lights out because they were playing down. The offense looked amazing because they were playing teams that were getting beat by mid-tier 2A teams. Foard was 0-9, West was 1-7, North was 3-6, St. Stephen’s 2-7, Hickory 7-5. East And North Lincoln were the two best teams Statesville played. The defense was often way out of position, that’s coaching. Statesville has the athletes to make up for that playing teams in their conference. North Lincoln only gave up 37 points in this conference with 14 coming from Statesville, does that indicate their defense was lights out? The bottom 4 teams in the conference were shutout by the majority of the teams they played.

Mooresville, Lake Norman, West Rowan, Maiden, all go undefeated with the same schedule and I would certainly guarantee the defensive numbers would look the same. One more time, Statesville looks great, Stewart looks great defensively, because they played several teams that could not score if it were 11 on 7. Here’s the thing, you could have grabbed the Third Creek Middle head coach, put him in as DC, and he does the exact same thing as Stewart. The system does need to be revamped.

Go grab a Eric Morman, a Johnny Oliphant, a Scott Miller, a Jupiter Wilson, a Joe Nixon, a Darius Robinson, and I'm telling you the football you call “lights out” does not compare. Statesville needs a coach that cultivates the talent.
I knew that was coming. An off night by Dudley. LOL. Nay Sayers, haters always get there licks in. So predictable!!!🤣🤣🤣Even if that were true what about the rest of the season and the other 13 teams? I suppose those other teams had off nights also. I am sitting here with another Iredell County coach and I showed him your post. He's still laughing !!!🤣🤣🤣

I agree. Statesville rarely beat teams with equal amount of talent. Critics of Gusler always Point to that 1 fact. He rarely out coaches good coaches. The KM game in 18 and 19 is a perfect example of Gusler when facing tough competition.

I teach in Winston. The demographics of Statesville and Mt. Tabor are extremely close. I wish Statesville could get coach King from Havelock. Shelby's OC or DC also would be a great choice. Go after Stevenson from Glenn. So many qualified candidates. This will truly be an interesting hire

I knew that was coming. An off night by Dudley. LOL. Nay Sayers, haters always get there licks in. So predictable!!!🤣🤣🤣Even if that were true what about the rest of the season and the other 13 teams? I suppose those other teams had off nights also. I am sitting here with another Iredell County coach and I showed him your post. He's still laughing !!!🤣🤣🤣
I’m a former Statesville player and alumni of the school. I sat and watched the entire game. Dudley had 17 penalties, 11 were illegal procedures. The score indicates a close game, but the game was never in doubt for Dudley. Ialso explained in detail the other 13 games and that this staff would have lost to King’s Mountain had Dudley been 4A. Again, if the benchmark for success is beating Foard, West, North, St. Stephens…then there goes the problem.

For the 18th time, those other teams in conference were not good. I Listed several teams in the area that would have went undefeated with the same schedule. I provided you examples of the team were Statesville played “lights out” defense, often being shutout. It’s all there, ask the coach did I miss anything?

Give credit to Statesville they had a great season 2021. Statesville is a good quality program. They have beaten some good teams, but they haven't been all that good vs the top programs in the State under Gusler. They gave West Rowan a run for their money 2011, but came up short. They beat a very good South Point team at South Point 2012. They beat Hickory Ridge 2014 etc.. I mention Laymarr Marshall assisitant at MT Tabor would be a good fit for Statesville. He has had success as a HC in the past.

Give credit to Statesville they had a great season 2021. Statesville is a good quality program. They have beaten some good teams, but they haven't been all that good vs the top programs in the State under Gusler. They gave West Rowan a run for their money 2011, but came up short. They beat a very good South Point team at South Point 2012. They beat Hickory Ridge 2014 etc.. I mention Laymarr Marshall assisitant at MT Tabor would be a good fit for Statesville. He has had success as a HC in the past.
Would love to see what Laymarr Marshall, Snow at West Forsyth, Antwon Stevenson from Glenn, or Josh McGee from Reagan could do with a team like Statesville.

All credit to the staff. Stateville has leveled up, but also has another level or two that the program could reach. No offense to anyone nor to any staff, just my opinion that Statesville should hire someone from the outside to take that next step. A ball coach that has seen the difference in football played in Iredell County as it compares to football played in Cleveland, Forsyth, Guilford, and, in instances such as playing Catholic, Mecklenburg County.

I think Gusler has been under appreciated. Gusler has guided Statesville to a new level of success. It is now expected to see Statesville not only win their conference but also go deep in the playoffs every year. Gusler definitely put Statesville on the map. Statesville is one of the top programs in 3a.

Statesville had a good season but no one thought the Statesville/Dudley game was the real championship game….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT