ADVERTISEMENT

Statesville

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Well Coach Randall Gusler is Retiring at the end of the year. We wanna wish coach Gusler the best in his future endeavors and All he has done at Stateville

Whose going to be the Next HFC at Statesville HS. This job should attract local and possibly state wide Candidates and This is a very good job Imo with all the talent within Statesville

Hopefully Gregg Stewart the defensive co ordinator will take it. If he does the Hounds will not miss a beat. This season the Hounds will be strong and athletic and deeper. I knew about this last week but was told not to say anything but we all kinda saw this coming. No big surprise. I thought he would pull a Coach K and coach this season. He will be missed a super nice guy with alot of football knowledge. I don't think the decision makers at Statesville will do what South Iredell did. The answer to this situation is right in front of them if Stewart wants the job.

Last edited:
One of my coaching friends I know in AZ is somewhat interested.

I know there prob a few local guys who would apply - Some want Miller but IMO his military style wouldn’t fit but it’s still solid hire.

This is going be a fun hiring process

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
List of good possible candiates for the Statesville job? Can anybody list some names?
Here is my list
Scott Miller: Miller is hard nose, military style guy and He knows how get kids into the program n be active. He old school style offense guy but He would be a solid hire but I just don’t think military style would work at statesville

Rydell Cowan: Currently he just signed to North Iredell but Many want him to be a HC within Iredell co. He has the contact and resource within Iredell co to make a great hire only issue is he doesn’t work within the school system

AZ Coach: A AZ coach I know is interested in the job , I’m not sure if he will apply or not but he from Cali , coach currently in AZ and Lived in GA for 3 year , He wants to return to East coast. He is a black OC who would make a great HC at any school given he and his brother are OC/DC combo at their current school

Eric Mormon: Wild card and maybe not realistic but He would be a solid hire.

There few others but I would think Miller and Rydell would be Top 2 since they are local and known but Statesville will attract other coaches im sure but they will prob hire local or within possibly (DC in Steward)

Reactions: FBUncle
Miller would do wonders at Statesville. I could definitely see him getting it and bringing Rydell over from North. Stewart's a good DC. I could do well as a HC.

If I'm the administration. I want a proven winner that will take Statesville to new heights. Statesville's talent year in and year out is on par with the best schools in 3a. This is about to get interesting

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Scott Miller would be a good select. But he may not be interested. Statesville does have good talent from year to year. So yes this is going to get interesting.

Reactions: Kylar2018
Scott Miller would be a good select. But he may not be interested. Statesville does have good talent from year to year. So yes this is

Scott Miller would be a good select. But he may not be interested. Statesville does have good talent from year to year. So yes this is going to get interesting.
Hmmmmmm.... not so fast there my friend!!!🤔🤔

What you don't think miller would be good? I think he'd be a great guy for the job. You want someone more proven? Hell BW Holt and Richard Grissom are retired. Maybe they will drive down. I say Miller.

What you don't think miller would be good? I think he'd be a great guy for the job. You want someone more proven? Hell BW Holt and Richard Grissom are retired. Maybe they will drive down. I say Miller.
As we seen with C.A Frye the most successful coach in history of statesville football, he was a hard ass and tough hard nose coach and most of the things he did wouldnt fly now n #s were low during his coaching years

Miller is a tough, hard nose coach like Frye due to his military style, I dont think a military style coach is what statesville needs. and also miller is enjoying his duties at PC so. Stateville needs a Black HC imo bc that fits the demographic and also the community.

I think Rydell cowan would be #1 guy to get the job (if he applies).
I wouldnt think he would be the right guy but he would fit the mold for statesville and that would be Vinson Smith.

I think there will a ton of guys in the running so Miller maybe the guy they want and I like miller and i have no issue with them hiring him, I just dont think he the right fit but he can win at statesville.

Whoever it is will be expected to be in the building everyday and fill the PE position I assume Gussler will vacate. Your head football coach should be in the building all day with the kids, especially somewhere like Statesville. Things are rough in the city of Statesville currently. That presence in the building will be a must.

As we seen with C.A Frye the most successful coach in history of statesville football, he was a hard ass and tough hard nose coach and most of the things he did wouldnt fly now n #s were low during his coaching years

Miller is a tough, hard nose coach like Frye due to his military style, I dont think a military style coach is what statesville needs. and also miller is enjoying his duties at PC so. Stateville needs a Black HC imo bc that fits the demographic and also the community.

I think Rydell cowan would be #1 guy to get the job (if he applies).
I wouldnt think he would be the right guy but he would fit the mold for statesville and that would be Vinson Smith.

I think there will a ton of guys in the running so Miller maybe the guy they want and I like miller and i have no issue with them hiring him, I just dont think he the right fit but he can win at statesville.
Statesville High school does not represent the demographic of the city of Statesville. Statesville High has changed drastically due to the IB program opening at South. But the community itself remains a majority white community.

With that said, Scott Miller would work wonders at Statesville. He would be a great fit. I’m not sure what the implication is Zum, but not all kids at Statesville come from the “bad side of the city.”

Johnny Oliphant would work wonders at Statesville. Hal Capps marveled at the athletes at Statesville, he would work wonders their too. Tremaine Henry would be perfect as he has collegiate coaching experience. Statesville doesn’t need a coach of a specific race. They just need a coach who puts effort into the community, something Gusler never did.

Vinson Smith has never coached. To imply that he should get the head job solely for being black and an NFL special teamer is ridiculous. Rydell may be a good coach, but has no head coaching experience, Stewert would be a bad move as that defense over the years struggled when coaching mattered over the years.

Statesville needs a coach that motivates the community and cleans up the football mishaps and penalties. Gussler struggled in those areas. The talent has always been there, and those kids will respond to any coaching style. Can you imagine bringing in a “hard nosed” guy like Miller and playing a disciplined Statesville team with all that talent?

Last edited:
Statesville High school does not represent the demographic of the city of Statesville. Statesville High has changed drastically due to the IB program opening at South. But the community itself remains a majority white community.

With that said, Scott Miller would work wonders at Statesville. He would be a great fit. I’m not sure what the implication is Zum, but not all kids at Statesville come from the “bad side of the city.”

Johnny Oliphant would work wonders at Statesville. Hal Capps marveled at the athletes at Statesville, he would work wonders their too. Tremaine Henry would be perfect as he has collegiate coaching experience. Statesville doesn’t need a coach of a specific race. They just need a coach who puts effort into the community, something Gusler never did.

Vinson Smith has never coached. To imply that he should get the head job solely for being black and an NFL special teamer is ridiculous. Rydell may be a good coach, but has no head coaching experience, Stewert would be a bad move as that defense over the years struggled when coaching mattered over the years.

Statesville needs a coach that motivates the community and cleans up the football mishaps and penalties. Gussler struggled in those areas. The talent has always been there, and those kids will respond to any coaching style. Can you imagine bringing in a “hard nosed” guy like Miller and playing a disciplined Statesville team with all that talent?
You can have your opinion and your in titled to it I know what I know n I know what other coaches in the area and fans of statesville have told me over the years

what I said Stands and Like I said Statesville needs to have a black HC IMO; Also I never said Vincent Smith wouldnt be the best pick but I said I wouldn’t mind it if he did get hired ; Rydell has been a OC and work under Miller so He is a rising HC ; Everyone I talk to with the community at SI wanted him as HC so If SI wanted him why wouldn’t statesville

Everyone has their own opinion who should be the next HC , Only time will tell on who gets it.

"Defense struggled over the years when coaching mattered", what does that mean? I don't get it at all. Stewart would be an awesome coach. Those kids love and respect him. As head coach with the other assistant coaches intact, the Hounds would still be strong defensively. Last year they were one of the best teams in 3a and one of the best defenses. Ugh.. Dudley only putting up 20 points on them!! Stewart has to be a front runner if he wants the job!!

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Cowan isn't a teacher from what I have heard right?

He won't get a head job without being a teacher. As I said your head football coach needs to be in the building, especially in Statesville. That presence throughout the halls and in the building is big.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Cowan isn't a teacher from what I have heard right?

He won't get a head job without being a teacher. As I said your head football coach needs to be in the building, especially in Statesville. That presence throughout the halls and in the building is big.
He is in the school system as we speak he working on it so If he doesn’t get a HC job this yr he will within the next 2 years

FYI - Just by doing a quick search - Statesville HS has a Enrollment of at 40%+ Majority of Black students with only a 24% white n other majority is other races - 77% of total population is considered a Minority

I lived in statesville so I know as well statesville isn’t just a Black town, Yes there are white folks but most of folks I know who are white live in West Iredell/Rural area not saying that’s everyone but most of friends I know

If u look at West Iredell / NIHS - North only at 25% minority and only 5.6% black and West 31-32% minority with 14% black

Statesville to me is Inner city school similar to Vance or West Charlotte so it’s translate into sports they struggle in Baseball, Softball, Wrestling or whatever but excel In Basketball n Football

Note: I’m not trying make this into Race, Idc what race they hire or whatever but Some school would excel with Black HC or White HC depending on Demographics and Surrounding Community and Other factors. I have heard others say the same thing that this school would do better with Black HC or this or that. There are Benefits on hiring a black HC bc they are relate to student, understand the community and needs etc

You can have your opinion and your in titled to it I know what I know n I know what other coaches in the area and fans of statesville have told me over the years

what I said Stands and Like I said Statesville needs to have a black HC IMO; Also I never said Vincent Smith wouldnt be the best pick but I said I wouldn’t mind it if he did get hired ; Rydell has been a OC and work under Miller so He is a rising HC ; Everyone I talk to with the community at SI wanted him as HC so If SI wanted him why wouldn’t statesville
I will stand on Statesville needing the best coach. Black, white, blue…if the person can coach, eliminate mistakes and penalties, then hire that person.

I’m well aware of everyone you mentioned. South and Statesville are two very different programs. I’m from the Statesville/Iredell county community as well. If you are in the know, then you should know that several people, several former players who are now coaches also agree that the hire does not have to be in house, from Iredell county, or based on color. That’s the issue with ISS programs as a whole.

Reactions: FormerDog38
I will stand on Statesville needing the best coach. Black, white, blue…if the person can coach, eliminate mistakes and penalties, then hire that person.

I’m well aware of everyone you mentioned. South and Statesville are two very different programs. I’m from the Statesville/Iredell county community as well. If you are in the know, then you should know that several people, several former players who are now coaches also agree that the hire does not have to be in house, from Iredell county, or based on color. That’s the issue with ISS programs as a whole.
I am very familiar with iredell co from top to bottom , I have lived in every town in Iredell co - Statesville, Troutman , Mooresville - all 3 are very different

I just said Idc who they hire Idc if they hire someone from UK or Europe to NYC to Mooresville , My preference is they need a black HC that’s my opinion n my view point - Have heard from others too doesn’t make it right or wrong - Nope bc everyone has a Opinion

Ofc Stateville n South are different but have similarities and Rydell is very well know in both communities. Rydell would be perfect HC at Statesville

Also I don’t think they hire in house, Also I have a HC from AZ who I know who wants to apply so That tells you IDC who they hire nor where, who , what , race as long as it the best hire

"Defense struggled over the years when coaching mattered", what does that mean? I don't get it at all. Stewart would be an awesome coach. Those kids love and respect him. As head coach with the other assistant coaches intact, the Hounds would still be strong defensively. Last year they were one of the best teams in 3a and one of the best defenses. Ugh.. Dudley only putting up 20 points on them!! Stewart has to be a front runner if he wants the job!!
Some of us played for Stewert too. Is he a great person, yes. But, Statesville struggled several times since Stewert has been the DC when coaching mattered. No offense to Stewert, but in the same manner we mention Dudley, we have to mention those several years where that defense was severely out coached. Kings Mountain, Charlotte Catholic, any big name team prior to Dudley ran it up against Statesville. Talent wins that conference, but everyone in Statesville knows what happens when the talent evens out.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Some of us played for Stewert too. Is he a great person, yes. But, Statesville struggled several times since Stewert has been the DC when coaching mattered. No offense to Stewert, but in the same manner we mention Dudley, we have to mention those several years where that defense was severely out coached. Kings Mountain, Charlotte Catholic, any big name team prior to Dudley ran it up against Statesville. Talent wins that conference, but everyone in Statesville knows what happens when the talent evens out.
I would have agree with this statement. Only person I would hire in house would be Brian Hoffman bc he has coached at collegiate level n been on staff past 2 year n he is very smart IQ for football

FYI - Just by doing a quick search - Statesville HS has a Enrollment of at 40%+ Majority of Black students with only a 24% white n other majority is other races - 77% of total population is considered a Minority

I lived in statesville so I know as well statesville isn’t just a Black town, Yes there are white folks but most of folks I know who are white live in West Iredell/Rural area not saying that’s everyone but most of friends I know

If u look at West Iredell / NIHS - North only at 25% minority and only 5.6% black and West 31-32% minority with 14% black

Statesville to me is Inner city school similar to Vance or West Charlotte so it’s translate into sports they struggle in Baseball, Softball, Wrestling or whatever but excel In Basketball n Football

Note: I’m not trying make this into Race, Idc what race they hire or whatever but Some school would excel with Black HC or White HC depending on Demographics and Surrounding Community and Other factors. I have heard others say the same thing that this school would do better with Black HC or this or that. There are Benefits on hiring a black HC bc they are relate to student, understand the community and needs etc
Statesville as a school is no where similar to Vance or West Charlotte. Those structures and situations are night and day. The demographics of Statesville High are impacted by the IB school at Sputh. That’s your perception due to living in Mooresville (I know you too). There are too many differences to list.

Again, I’m from Statesville, played for Bost, Gus was the OC, Stewert coached linebackers. I’m saying you give Miller Statesville, you give Capps Statesville in 2010, you give Statesville to Oliphant now and the difference would amaze you. I’m not going to say anything about the staff, they won. But the emphasis and work they put in also reflected when Statesville could not put athlete you. Folks in Statesville have said this for years.

All I will say is this: Statesville needs a coach they can connect with the community n get everything out of the student athletes

Statesville is a Mid Tier Program; With the Best fit n all they could be a Top tier which will be a challenge but if they can beat a Dudley or KM then they could be on right track but Statesville is smaller marker then West Charlotte so they have beat very good teams to get to a State title

I'd put Statesville more along the lines of their US 70 neighbors Hickory and Salisbury.

All I will say is this: Statesville needs a coach they can connect with the community n get everything out of the student athletes

Statesville is a Mid Tier Program; With the Best fit n all they could be a Top tier which will be a challenge but if they can beat a Dudley or KM then they could be on right track but Statesville is smaller marker then West Charlotte so they have beat very good teams to get to a State title
Agreed. Statesville could challenge anyone with the right staff. I think you go outside to remove any influence on the program by parents. I think whomever they hire has to strengthen that schedule.

Statesville as a school is no where similar to Vance or West Charlotte. Those structures and situations are night and day. The demographics of Statesville High are impacted by the IB school at Sputh. That’s your perception due to living in Mooresville (I know you too). There are too many differences to list.

Again, I’m from Statesville, played for Bost, Gus was the OC, Stewert coached linebackers. I’m saying you give Miller Statesville, you give Capps Statesville in 2010, you give Statesville to Oliphant now and the difference would amaze you. I’m not going to say anything about the staff, they won. But the emphasis and work they put in also reflected when Statesville could not put athlete you. Folks in Statesville have said this for years.
That’s your opinion; Statesville shares similarities with Those school maybe not all the same but similar struggles

Statesville has their own program I think call cross roads or whatever which is included with Statesville enrollment

ALSO Like I said I lived in Statesville for atleast 5-7 years bc I lived for 3 years in first time n then atleast another 3-4 years before I moved to AZ ; So Like I said I lived in All 3 major towns in Iredell co so I don’t see it from a Mooresville prospective - I lived in Downtown Statesville, I lived near Rabbit town n I lived in West Iredell/Catawba area of Iredell co

Again I know what these coaches would do, I know a lot stuff some people don’t and I know all these coaches too so Again They would do well at Statesville but I stand by what I said about Miller - I love him n all but There reasons I believe he doesn’t fit at Statesville: if u wanna message me on FB/Twitter , Text me since You know who I am I am willing say those thing in Private

Statesville is full athletes it’s known year in n out.

Agreed. Statesville could challenge anyone with the right staff. I think you go outside to remove any influence on the program by parents. I think whomever they hire has to strengthen that schedule.
also if u know me well then you know I been Critical on statesville forever and also at one point I didn’t mind Miller for statesville job but my opinion changed over the years

I agree they need to schedule teams like Freedom, AL Brown, Mooresville, but ISS say they must schedule ISS schools n hickory is a given every year so

They're in the same conference with West, North, and Hickory.

It's probably a given they will play South every year out of conference. Other than that they should look at Mooresville, Brown, Davie, Salisbury, Cabarrus Schools, Alexander Central, or even some Forsyth schools like Mount Tabor.

It's probably a given they will play South every year out of conference. Other than that they should look at Mooresville, Brown, Davie, Salisbury, Cabarrus Schools, Alexander Central, or even some Forsyth schools like Mount Tabor.
Correct, Al brown would be a good one to add back since that was a big time game back in the day and Mooresville too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT