ADVERTISEMENT

South Point @ Shelby Thursday night

Easy shelbyfootball y’all still win the conference. Ya still got time to put the wheels back on the bus. Unlike South Point who most likely doesn’t even make the playoffs. If the boys can find a way to beat Chase next week maybe they can sneak in. It seems crazy you loose two games by a total of three points to ranked teams and beat a team that was ranked number one most of the season and still might not get in

This team is probably more talented than a few of the state championship teams. Look at the D-1 Prospects. Struggling against SP, RS, and Chase? Sorry no offense but we have a coaching or lack of leadership issue. Crest just destroyed Burns, and I think we have more talent than them. But we barely beat Burns. Execution is everything, like they say, thats why you play the games

I didn't really mean from a talent perspective. There's just something that seems off about this Shelby team though. Whether it's the weird year or coaching or talent, I dunno. But what I do know is that this team regressed in the last week.

I didn't really mean from a talent perspective. There's just something that seems off about this Shelby team though. Whether it's the weird year or coaching or talent, I dunno. But what I do know is that this team regressed in the last week.
I agree

I sure wish SP could have found a way around that Hilltopper loss. It sure would have been cool to see how the playoff picture would have worked out. Everything but the R-S loss worked out the way I had hoped. Oh well it has been an interesting season!

I sure wish SP could have found a way around that Hilltopper loss. It sure would have been cool to see how the playoff picture would have worked out. Everything but the R-S loss worked out the way I had hoped. Oh well it has been an interesting season!
Assuming Burns beats RS next week you'd be looking at a 3-way tie & a draw between SP, Shelby & Burns for 2 spots.

No, Shelby only loss in conference was to SP. Burns only conference loss to Shelby and I think R-S only loss to Shelby. Burns or R-S will end up with only one conference loss but loose the head to head with Shelby. SP lost to both Burns and R-S so if the conference gets a wildcard in the playoffs it won’t be us.

No, Shelby only loss in conference was to SP. Burns only conference loss to Shelby and I think R-S only loss to Shelby. Burns or R-S will end up with only one conference loss but loose the head to head with Shelby. SP lost to both Burns and R-S so if the conference gets a wildcard in the playoffs it won’t be us.
Tomorrow nights RS game is big but regardless if Burns wins next week Shelby and Burns are in. If RS beats Chase and Burns were out. If Chase beats RS and RS beats Burns you have a tie between Burns, RS and Chase if Chase beats SP.

You're right.. It's getting late & my brain shut down an hour ago 🤣

Shelby is in and conference champ unless they somehow lose to ER who just lost to EG by 41. So thats a near certainty
Burns wins and they are in.
RS wins out (beats Chase and Burns) they are in.
If Chase beats RS and SP and RS beats Burns then you have a 3 way tie. Between those 3 schools. No clue what tiebreaker is. This is not the most likely outcome but could happen. Most likely winner of Burns/RS goes to playoffs.
I dont see a way SP gets in with losses to Burns and RS....if they end up tied with either Burns or RS they would not have the tie breaker.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
First off hope our LB is ok, never good to see a kid go out on a stretcher. Second, it all starts at the top with the head coach, he hired this defensive coordinator and let him change us to a 3-4 scheme when we are short on linebackers this year but heavy on D linemen. We have won 6 out of the last 7 state titles and the one year we lost was in the semi's running a 4-3. Right now this is the worst defense I have ever seen Shelby have and I've been watching over 50 years. Change the defense and change it now, put 7 and 9 on the D line with their hand in the dirt and go get the ball. Both have been lost in this scheme. If the D coordinator can't change then change the D coordinator, Wilbanks you are the HEAD coach it's time to make a difficult decision. I'm not saying fire the man but make the man change it or other measure need to be taken. Every Shelby fan knew this team was going to live and die by the defense, well we are dying. Third, the offense was able to move the ball tonight on the ground better than we have in weeks. Been hearing all week that SP couldn't cover dead grass but for some reason we kept throwing 2 yd out patterns for most of the night. Threw it down field a couple of times, one for big gain to 25 and the other a TD to 21, why we didn't throw down field more is a big question. The QB did still to have some lingering effects from his injury last week might be why. Fourth, since when do Shelby teams show such disrespect to the game of football by running their mouth so much and getting at least 4 flags for it. That's just something Shelby doesn't do and shouldn't do. So Wilbanks needs to stop that tonight and if it doesn't put them on the bench or send them to the house. Some things are more important than winning and loosing. Right now we aren't a top 25 2A and won't make it past the first round in the playoffs. Now let's give SP the credit it is due, they did what Shelby needs to start working on blocking and tackling and working as a team. SP absolutely dominated Shelby tonight was superior coaching, play, execution, and class.

First off hope our LB is ok, never good to see a kid go out on a stretcher. Second, it all starts at the top with the head coach, he hired this defensive coordinator and let him change us to a 3-4 scheme when we are short on linebackers this year but heavy on D linemen. We have won 6 out of the last 7 state titles and the one year we lost was in the semi's running a 4-3. Right now this is the worst defense I have ever seen Shelby have and I've been watching over 50 years. Change the defense and change it now, put 7 and 9 on the D line with their hand in the dirt and go get the ball. Both have been lost in this scheme. If the D coordinator can't change then change the D coordinator, Wilbanks you are the HEAD coach it's time to make a difficult decision. I'm not saying fire the man but make the man change it or other measure need to be taken. Every Shelby fan knew this team was going to live and die by the defense, well we are dying. Third, the offense was able to move the ball tonight on the ground better than we have in weeks. Been hearing all week that SP couldn't cover dead grass but for some reason we kept throwing 2 yd out patterns for most of the night. Threw it down field a couple of times, one for big gain to 25 and the other a TD to 21, why we didn't throw down field more is a big question. The QB did still to have some lingering effects from his injury last week might be why. Fourth, since when do Shelby teams show such disrespect to the game of football by running their mouth so much and getting at least 4 flags for it. That's just something Shelby doesn't do and shouldn't do. So Wilbanks needs to stop that tonight and if it doesn't put them on the bench or send them to the house. Some things are more important than winning and loosing. Right now we aren't a top 25 2A and won't make it past the first round in the playoffs. Now let's give SP the credit it is due, they did what Shelby needs to start working on blocking and tackling and working as a team. SP absolutely dominated Shelby tonight was superior coaching, play, execution, and class.
Great post. I personally want to congratulate SP for their victory and totally dominating Shelby in every phase of the game.In my opinion our offense has over achieved this year after losing 10 starters but our defense is nothing compared to what I thought we could be.There is no excuse for not being better prepared for a SP team who barely lost to teams who we barely beat.Hopefully the coaches can calm the ship and get this team refocused on our goals.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
We sure are a spoiled bunch arent we? ha ha

Its been difficult to see some of the things and wonder why they are happening.... Thats what us arm chair QB's do I reckon....

I still feel like we will right the ship, we are talented enough to do so I really do

Sometimes the pieces just fall into place and sometimes no matter what coaches do they don’t. No disrespect intended towards Shelby, you guys have owned us over the years. This year I think Shelby’s reputation and history caused them to be ranked higher than maybe deserved. Perception also plays a huge roll. There have probably been many games opponents have gone in thinking, oh no it’s Shelby.

Shelby is better than they played last night and South Point may have played a little over their heads. It will be interesting to see if this game stays on the schedule after South Point moves back up to 3A.

Sky is not falling. Shelby is in the toughest 2A conference in the state and will be a hard out for anyone.

Reactions: UNC91
Dang shelby faithful you guys are brutal. All the cleveland county tackle football coaches I know hate losing more than they like winning. You guys will be fine.

Reactions: UNC91
Congratulations to the Raiders faithful on a big win.
A disappointing loss for the Shelby guys who simply learn and get better what very, very few times they lose.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Surprised at all the penalties, mouth and lack of discipline. That’s not Shelby

Great post! I have the same feelings with coach Devine towards our OC. Regardless though- as much as we all want our teams to win every Friday night...whether they win or lose we always want to showcase respect for the game.

Great post! I have the same feelings with coach Devine towards our OC. Regardless though- as much as we all want our teams to win every Friday night...whether they win or lose we always want to showcase respect for the game.
The defense, schematically, has been a flop, but can an argument be made about the coaching, period? Last year’s team had superior talent. Let’s see what happens now when there is a lot more coaching actually needed.

The defense, schematically, has been a flop, but can an argument be made about the coaching, period? Last year’s team had superior talent. Let’s see what happens now when there is a lot more coaching actually needed.
We were loaded last year plus we had stud linebackers.

Reactions: Lion Attack
South Point had some discipline problems during the 2019 season. Thankfully they have graduated and are no longer enrolled. I am concerned if discipline problems return, how the staff will deal with them. Hopefully Coach Hodge now sees how important it is to maintain order on the field and sideline. I was not proud to be wearing the Red and White when we left West Lincoln. I apologize to more than a few WL fans that night.

I agree LA- It’s easy to take over when you have an offense that puts up 50 a game. Let’s be real though, y’all have the most touted defense west of charlotte and probably one of the tops in the state. It’s made obvious that talent doesn’t matter if it’s in the wrong place.

I have said this many times before and will say it until I can’t anymore. I have no sympathy for a coach that doesn’t put his players in the best spot to help the team. Idc what the player is going to college or the pros for, his job at this moment is to help his team the best he can. Period.

Hasn’t the coaching staff turnover been pretty common over the last few years at Shelby ? That’s not easy to keep replacing great coach after great coach and keep winning the Shelby way.

Wow, lost to South Point and didn't even line up in the box. That's run defense 101. Was Shelby that insecure in their pass defense. So much running room for South Point.

2AA is going to Burns or 3A Hibriten

2A is for Reidsville or Clinton... or Chase maybe(if they squeek in...or are they also 2AA?).

Reactions: Doggpound07
Wow, lost to South Point and didn't even line up in the box. That's run defense 101. Was Shelby that insecure in their pass defense. So much running room for South Point.

2AA is going to Burns or 3A Hibriten

2A is for Reidsville or Clinton... or Chase maybe(if they squeek in...or are they also 2AA?).

hmm Shelby beat burns first go around. So they have to be included

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT