ADVERTISEMENT

South Point @ East Lincoln

Great win last night for EL. SP will need to play a lot better than they have the past two weeks.

Reactions: seadog28
Can anyone talk about how the North Lincoln game played out. I see that EL won 28-7. I also see that statistically they were the only team that ran the ball on EL for any real yardage.

EL is fundamentally sound. They win on defense and special teams. KM was able to run the ball against EL just made way too many mistakes. I can see SP moving to ball on EL just don't throw it towards or kick to #2.
I watched this game after I got home last night. It’s hard to judge our running with KMs. I really didn’t see a team KM couldn’t run on all season. Sometimes I’d be confused as to why they would even start passing at times. Last night they made those mistakes you mentioned with penalties and I guess they felt they would have to go to the air to pick up the first. However it appeared that they could have definitely ran it more. That combined with playing man on D made it tuff. I’m not a coach though so I’m sure they had their reasons.

Reactions: beamer24
We'll have to control time of possession and sustain long drives to hope to keep this one close. Our defense will definitely have to play better than it has the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
If East Lincoln doesn't turn the ball over, they will win. South point has always had a good program all the way back to Coach Devine. It will definitely be a dog fight.

Reactions: Cocoa74
If I didn’t have to work this Friday, I would be at this one. I think this will be a good one. I’m know East Lincoln is probably most likely to be favorites. But surprises do happen. Best of luck to both teams.

Reactions: Cocoa74
Can anyone talk about how the North Lincoln game played out. I see that EL won 28-7. I also see that statistically they were the only team that ran the ball on EL for any real yardage.
May be able to find it on NFHS Network. That's where I'm watching SP last game.

Took a hard look at EL on Maxpreps yesterday. That defense is apparently the real deal. A number of games with opponent offense under 150 yds total. SP is in for contest but great to be playing this deep two years in a row.
It will definitely be a tougher game for the Red Raiders, but if we can score offensively and pick off a fumble or a pick 6 defensively, we should be able to win by 2-5 points. This will require us to be 100% healthy, playing with all our guts on the field, as well as knocking EL in the guts on every play. I know that "Charlie Brown" hasn't played many times this season but it might be time to pull him into the game for a few of those critical 4th down plays.

This is going to be a fantastic game. I believe the Red Raiders will find a way to get it done. I know we say this a lot, but North Lincoln's version of the option is nothing like the red bone.

LOL- all the way back to Devine? SP won about 90% of their games in the 1970s.
But we didn't run the Redbone then or DarrylNorris49 is too young to remember those early days when 3A SP would beat or tie 4A Trashbrook (between 1975 and 1980 SP 3-1-2}.

Last edited:
This is going to be a fantastic game. I believe the Red Raiders will find a way to get it done. I know we say this a lot, but North Lincoln's version of the option is nothing like the red bone.
I agree but I would also say NL is way more willing to throw the ball to keep the defense honest. SP can’t win throwing the ball all night but they may have to throw it some and not because they are behind the chains. Definitely can’t challenge #2 when they do either. I believe they have to involve #5 and #11 on offense but the biggest factor will be the defensive line play IMO.

I agree but I would also say NL is way more willing to throw the ball to keep the defense honest. SP can’t win throwing the ball all night but they may have to throw it some and not because they are behind the chains. Definitely can’t challenge #2 when they do either. I believe they have to involve #5 and #11 on offense but the biggest factor will be the defensive line play IMO.
Agreed. Daley, the sophomore running back for East is playing lights out right now.

Reactions: Suck3rPunch2003
But we didn't run the Redbone then or DarrylNorris49 is too young to remember those early days when 3A SP would beat or tie 4A Trashbrook (between 1975 and 1980 SP 3-1-2}.
the offense run now doesn't matter. SP didn't just get good in the last 20 years. We ran several different things for 30 years and played Ashbrook better than even despite them (and HH, EG, etc, etc) being 3 times our school's size/ADM while not running that offense. Now Gastonia getting a third HS helped even the odds a little...sure :)

Reactions: sasha_nc
It doesn’t seem anybody much wants to talk trash on this thread. I don’t know if it because of respect for each others program, or maybe everybody’s skeered.
GO BIG RED!

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
It doesn’t seem anybody much wants to talk trash on this thread. I don’t know if it because of respect for each others program, or maybe everybody’s skeered.
GO BIG RED!
Definitely not skeered!!!! But I do know that there is a lot of South Point fans in Mustang country. The very first high school football game I went to was at South Point. This should be a great game between two very good teams. You don't make it this far without being good. I see this game as a 50/50 shot for both sides. I think there is a great mutual respect from both programs. I wish both teams the best of luck. But if you think East Lincoln is skeered you are going to be highly disappointed!!!! GO MUSTANG'S

Last edited:
Definitely not skeered!!!! But I do know that there is a lot of South Point fans in Mustang country. The very first high school football game I went to was at South Point. This should be a great game between two very good teams. You don't make it this far without being good. I see this game as a 50/50 shot for both sides. I think there is a great mutual respect from both programs. I wish both teams the best of luck. But if you think East Lincoln is skeered you are going to be highly disappointed!!!! GO MUSTANG'S
Cocoa, he didn't say anything about the teams being 'skeered' - just the posters. It has been about 20 years since SP and EL played each other. SP posters know the Crest, Shelby, Burns, and Kings mountain posters fairly well and are used to talking some SERIOUS trash with them. We rarely talk trash with the Lincolnton posters because they are generally nice to us. We don't know you guys since most of the time EL has been a 2A team.
I fully expect a lower scoring game between the two teams, short of one of the defenses completely blowing it.

I didn’t say they was skeered. I said maybe everybody’s skeered. I just think about all the trash talk between Crust and SP before that game. I guess them boys are a little more cocky that y’all.

I think this game will possibly be a low scoring game based off of both teams schemes/players. Both teams are more similar than you expect from a football standpoint. Both well coached football teams. It’s all about matchups now. I am leaning SP in this game in a 21-20 type of game.

Cocoa, he didn't say anything about the teams being 'skeered' - just the posters. It has been about 20 years since SP and EL played each other. SP posters know the Crest, Shelby, Burns, and Kings mountain posters fairly well and are used to talking some SERIOUS trash with them. We rarely talk trash with the Lincolnton posters because they are generally nice to us. We don't know you guys since most of the time EL has been a 2A team.
I fully expect a lower scoring game between the two teams, short of one of the defenses completely blowing it.
Honestly if East Lincoln wasn't still in it I would be pulling for South Point. My stepfather passed away unexpectedly last December. He was the one who got me into South Point football. He and most of his family have pulled for South Point since before I was even born. And I'm close to 50 yrs old. Y'all might even know him or some of his family. I to believe this will be tough fought low scoring match up. Best of luck to both teams. I know for sure no matter who wins I will be pulling for them in the state championship.

Should be a good game...

Pulling for South Point to pull it out, but both teams are very good....

Go get em Sasha and what ever happened to seadog... Miss my old pal checking in occasionally...

this will be a snot bubble game....

How is this East Lincoln team compared to the one that beat Tarboro in 2012? This team better or is 2012 better?
This team is better. Bigger and stronger. Huge and fast on defense, with a few D1 commits. Only thing this team doesn’t have that 2012 did is Mike Byus calling the plays. He was/is a great offensive mind. Not saying the current offensive coaches aren’t great, but Byus was special. And I didn’t care for the guy, but I respect him.

This team is better. Bigger and stronger. Huge and fast on defense, with a few D1 commits. Only thing this team doesn’t have that 2012 did is Mike Byus calling the plays. He was/is a great offensive mind. Not saying the current offensive coaches aren’t great, but Byus was special. And I didn’t care for the guy, but I respect him.
And these threads were pretty interesting with his assistants and wife posting a lot of content.

Come back, CM3 and Dplubo!!?

Tfan...how did your 12 team compare to your 11 team?

Last edited:
Watched the entire KM EL game this morning and it is nothing like what I expected which was EL dominating KM. KM was a train wreck with penalties, three interceptions (2 picks 6) that were all poorly thrown balls, KM QB missed open receivers multiple times. Meanwhile EL was playing virtually error free ball. KM ran the ball well and got into EL territory a good percentage of their possessions, but just too many mistakes that you can get away with against weaker competition. You can't make them this deep in the playoffs and certainly not against a very good EL team. EL had about 450 yds on offense with 274 coming on 4 big TD plays 40, 60, 80, and 94. Running back had 180 yds on 3 carries and less than 10 on 13 others according to MaxPreps. Add in a punt return for a TD. No sustained drives, just big time plays. SP will have it's hands full this week and certainly cannot let that running back get into space or receivers get behind them. EL QB is very good with good athletes around him. Looking forward to Friday night.

Watched the entire KM EL game this morning and it is nothing like what I expected which was EL dominating KM. KM was a train wreck with penalties, three interceptions (2 picks 6) that were all poorly thrown balls, KM QB missed open receivers multiple times. Meanwhile EL was playing virtually error free ball. KM ran the ball well and got into EL territory a good percentage of their possessions, but just too many mistakes that you can get away with against weaker competition. You can't make them this deep in the playoffs and certainly not against a very good EL team. EL had about 450 yds on offense with 274 coming on 4 big TD plays 40, 60, 80, and 94. Running back had 180 yds on 3 carries and less than 10 on 13 others according to MaxPreps. Add in a punt return for a TD. No sustained drives, just big time plays. SP will have its hands full this week and certainly cannot let that running back get into space or receivers get behind them. EL QB is very good with good athletes around him. Looking forward to Friday night.
Raidertime you are absolutely 100% stating facts. KM played horribly and couldn’t get out of our own way. The only thing missing in your assessment of this game is KM blitzing so much behind an aggressive d-line while playing man coverage with absolutely NO safety help over the top. That is a sin in football and you are absolutely asking for the big play. It seems like the d-line, lb’s, and db’s were not in sync from a defensive communication standpoint. That’s all coaching. EL did what WC was trying to do in their run game but executed it better. They were trying to hit a seam against an aggressive defensive front. Also we were rotating so many guys in on defense that I am sure that led to some sync and communication issues. Championship rotations should get tighter not bigger. You can’t rotate as much or as many players when you are chasing a state title. It doesn’t work. Your quality of play will drop off.
I try not to say anything about players because the effort was there but yes our passing game missed numerous opportunities. You can’t miss on certain throws when teams are playing coverage. Our punting team was shaky all year and we got bit on that also. I am not sure why more teams didn’t block punts on us this year. We were shaky all year.
Overall we had correctable mistakes but you have to correct them coaching wise and not get blinded by having an undefeated record at the time. As Nick Saban likes to say it’s “Rat Poison”. Same thing happened during the Covid season. We were undefeated and never corrected our mistakes and Monroe made us pay. Coaches have to not get caught up in the hype and have to make sure that players do not get caught up in the hype. KM’s coaches have to wear this “L”. It was an absolutely embarrassing display of high school football for a fourth round.
SP will not make the same mistakes KM made and will stay disciplined on defense. If SP’s qb is healthy then I expect you to pull a win out. EL is solid across the board. They will not beat themselves. EL has a couple of studs on the defensive side of the ball but your offense will negate some of them just running to the ball causing mayhem. SP and EL are the two best coached teams that we faced this year by far. Neither team will give anything cheap to the other. It’s not who you are.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT