ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin job

bamapride22

Aug 21, 2010
Since Franklin is still looking for a new coach, will a new school and new facilities draw attention from anyone? They were just granted a $62 million grant that was suppose to move the process forward to build the new school.

What is the opening date projection for the new facility?
We were just awarded the grant last week. This is the same type of funds that Cherokee County sent back. It is conceivable that we could start this summer if we choose to spend money out of the fund balance on Phase I, which is destructing the football field and moving a significant amount of dirt there. We would be without a home field for a year and may not have a campus suitable for hosting large events like a football game the next year due to the construction. Whether it is one year or two, the field will be five feet higher, will be attached to the new building and most likely (from what I hear, I don't make decisions but I listen a lot) will finally be turf. I'll be sad for the Bermuda that I played on to go away, but I'm not the one maintaining it either.

We could have had a coach in place already. I don't think it's lack of interest, it's that the school system has to figure out what they want. There are good candidates on staff and a good culture already in place. If we do decide to go external it is getting late in that process it seems.

link to the architect's plans for the school: https://maconnc.org/images/Franklin_Full_C_04.mp4

Reactions: Eaglemeister
Squirrel,

Very Impressive presentation. Where is baseball and softball field? Do they play off campus now?

Squirrel,

Very Impressive presentation. Where is baseball and softball field? Do they play off campus now?
They're at the middle school. Soccer has been at the middle school, but they've played some playoff games at the high school. The crown at The Pit makes the field a tricky one for commie ball though. Wrestling may end up all being at the middle school too, they've just built a big ol annex over there to make the sports facility better. Tennis is at the county park in the middle of town.

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid
They're at the middle school. Soccer has been at the middle school, but they've played some playoff games at the high school. The crown at The Pit makes the field a tricky one for commie ball though. Wrestling may end up all being at the middle school too, they've just built a big ol annex over there to make the sports facility better. Tennis is at the county park in the middle of town.
Commie ball, I like that. I call it kick ball.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: beamer24
We were just awarded the grant last week. This is the same type of funds that Cherokee County sent back. It is conceivable that we could start this summer if we choose to spend money out of the fund balance on Phase I, which is destructing the football field and moving a significant amount of dirt there. We would be without a home field for a year and may not have a campus suitable for hosting large events like a football game the next year due to the construction. Whether it is one year or two, the field will be five feet higher, will be attached to the new building and most likely (from what I hear, I don't make decisions but I listen a lot) will finally be turf. I'll be sad for the Bermuda that I played on to go away, but I'm not the one maintaining it either.

We could have had a coach in place already. I don't think it's lack of interest, it's that the school system has to figure out what they want. There are good candidates on staff and a good culture already in place. If we do decide to go external it is getting late in that process it seems.

link to the architect's plans for the school: https://maconnc.org/images/Franklin_Full_C_04.mp4
Kinda reminiscent of some of the newer Buncombe Co. high schools- Owen and N. Buncombe in particular.

One of the best natural fields in the state, heartbreaking for me to see it go artificial!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT