ADVERTISEMENT

South Fork Athletic Conference

I'd like to see some underdogs get a shot. NL hasn't been in a while, WL rarely goes. Of course with the monsters out there if anyone of them make it it's them and Shelby or SP or Hibriten first round. Depending on if they are A or Aa

Reactions: N-C Red Devils
I'd like to see some underdogs get a shot. NL hasn't been in a while, WL rarely goes. Of course with the monsters out there if anyone of them make it it's them and Shelby or SP or Hibriten first round. Depending on if they are A or Aa
More heavy hitters will have Reidsville and North Davidson too.

Can't win for losing. Not sure how the seeding went with NL in 07' when they made 3rd round and cheated out of the 4th when they played Mt Pleasant and according to a lot of sources the player fumbles and knee was not down by no means at all, NL jumped on the ball and ref says down by contact. Beam musta had a flask close by to even keep his nerves straight I'd imagine lol. I was mad for em.

Should North pull it together and get some wins and beat a team or 2 that beats WL they are still in good shape. But with that defense the odds are stacked.

I thought those guys would be in a different region. Talkin bout Reid and N Davidson

Can't win for losing. Not sure how the seeding went with NL in 07' when they made 3rd round and cheated out of the 4th when they played Mt Pleasant and according to a lot of sources the player fumbles and knee was not down by no means at all, NL jumped on the ball and ref says down by contact. Beam musta had a flask close by to even keep his nerves straight I'd imagine lol. I was mad for em.
2AA is going to be a tough bracket to advance thru this year.

2AA is going to be a tough bracket to advance thru this year.

Ehhh I'd say any bracket that's not 1A and 1AA is tough. Given there are maybe a couple low class teams out there that could give a team like Mallard Creek(just use the top team for example lol) a run for their money for at least a quarter and a half. The way MC is going you could put the ABSOLUTE best of Caldwell co and Lincoln co on one team and they'd still beat em' by 2 or 3 scores. That ain't a high school people that's a college ha ha.

Yea the overall talent and depth makes the difference especially when those powerhouse teams will have at least a dozen D1 players.

Yea the overall talent and depth makes the difference especially when those powerhouse teams will have at least a dozen D1 players.

Well u know there's at least 1 or 2 NFL draft picks from a year or so back that came from MC. Not taking bout non drafted free agents were talkin bout guys in the room with the ticker going .

I'm not sure if the talent pool at MC was the reason West Charlotte fell off the map like they did. These 2 schools do not share a border region so I don't know we're I heard that from.

Well u know there's at least 1 or 2 NFL draft picks from a year or so back that came from MC. Not taking bout non drafted free agents were talkin bout guys in the room with the ticker going .

I'm not sure if the talent pool at MC was the reason West Charlotte fell off the map like they did. These 2 schools do not share a border region so I don't know we're I heard that from.
After Tom Knotts left West Charlotte for Independence, they dominated until he left again for South Carolina and thats when MC took over before Butler won a few ships as well.

Last edited:
What do you think is the most interesting game in the second week of conference play in the South Fork and why?

N-C @ Bandys
Lincolnton @ E. Lincoln
N. Lincoln @ LNC
Maiden @ W. Lincoln

We have some very talented and explosive players in this conference and I'm hoping several teams represent the South Fork in the playoffs this year. Here is a look at the top three players in some offensive categories thru five weeks:

Passing Leaders:
N. Lincoln - Reed Mcrorie - 1137 yds - 14 TDs
Newton-Conover - Shamar Baker - 1025 yds - 7 TDs
Maiden - Keygan Mayfield - 624 yds - 5 TDs

Rushing Leaders:
Lincolnton - Tyshawn Harris - 687 yds - 8 TDs
W. Lincoln - Brendon Ikard - 661 yds - 8 TDs
Newton-Conover - Tylor Stinson - 638 yds - 11 TDs

Receiving Leaders:
N. Lincoln - Caleb Holley - 388 yds - 4 TDs
N. Lincoln - Zach Rhodes - 355 yds - 3 TDs
Newton-Conover - Myles Baker - 320 yds - 2 TDs

Last edited:
Reactions: Burkeforreal
What do you think is the most interesting game in the second week of conference play in the South Fork and why?

N-C @ Bandys
Lincolnton @ E. Lincoln
N. Lincoln @ LNC
Maiden @ W. Lincoln

I will have to go with hope on this season for NL. Should Maiden drop an L on WL (chances are they will) and by some chance North can take Maiden in a thriller and provided North beats LNC(surely, come on guys) then they still have a small mouse of a chance of taking 2nd (Newton upset ain't happening) everyone else is winnable as well if the defense steps up, and they get a high seed. Losing the games they've lost I'm not too hopeful or convinced but get the defense to play their assignments better and not leave wideouts or running lanes as open and keep the offensive numbers up, they can do this. They may be a far cry from the Beam defense of 07' and 08' but guys can work on their game. Athletic or not.

So I'm going with Maiden and WL being the most interesting in that aspect. This will give WL a chance to face a higher octane defense and see we're they really stand with the running game which was good but since losing to East Burke their stock went down lol.

EL and Lincolnton is a classic going back to the 70s. Both teams struggling so both evenly matched but I give Ltown the edge. Next year it'll be all Lincolnton and Newton so East should take advantage now. This being a runner up of a game to watch.

Everything else too predictable, rival games going yes but it is what it is.

I will have to go with hope on this season for NL. Should Maiden drop an L on WL (chances are they will) and by some chance North can take Maiden in a thriller and provided North beats LNC(surely, come on guys) then they still have a small mouse of a chance of taking 2nd (Newton upset ain't happening) everyone else is winnable as well if the defense steps up, and they get a high seed. Losing the games they've lost I'm not too hopeful or convinced but get the defense to play their assignments better and not leave wideouts or running lanes as open and keep the offensive numbers up, they can do this. They may be a far cry from the Beam defense of 07' and 08' but guys can work on their game. Athletic or not.

So I'm going with Maiden and WL being the most interesting in that aspect. This will give WL a chance to face a higher octane defense and see we're they really stand with the running game which was good but since losing to East Burke their stock went down lol.

EL and Lincolnton is a classic going back to the 70s. Both teams struggling so both evenly matched but I give Ltown the edge. Next year it'll be all Lincolnton and Newton so East should take advantage now. This being a runner up of a game to watch.

Everything else too predictable, rival games going yes but it is what it is.
I like your synopsis and agree that Maiden vs W. Lincoln could very well help form what the top half of the conference will look like in most cases. However, in an event where W. Lincoln happens to beat Maiden and LNC could edge N. Lincoln; then the standings would definitely become merky and make for some very very intersting match-ups throughout the entire season and less predictable with wins of favorites over the underdogs, making the first year of this South Fork Conference one of the most competitive leagues in Western Region of 2A.

NC will beat Bandys pretty easily I believe. Just too many weapons and too much speed for Bandys to keep up with. NC 42-14

NL and LKNC is kind of tough for me to give an opinion on because I havent seen LKNC but I expect NL to take this one by a score or two. This game being played on that sorry excuse of a field at LKNC may have an impact on NL passing game. NL 35-20

Lincolnton and the ponies will be close one given that we are both down. I like our chances in this game now that we have switched back to an offense that fits our personnel better and Tyshawn Harris is running the football pretty dang good right now. East has a pretty stout defense but I think their struggles on offense will be too much to overcome. Wolves beat the ponies 21-7

Maiden and WL is also an interesting match up to see how Maidens defense is against a team who can run the football. If the west defense struggled with NL passing game then Maiden should have a field day. Maiden 42-17

NC will beat Bandys pretty easily I believe. Just too many weapons and too much speed for Bandys to keep up with. NC 42-14

NL and LKNC is kind of tough for me to give an opinion on because I havent seen LKNC but I expect NL to take this one by a score or two. This game being played on that sorry excuse of a field at LKNC may have an impact on NL passing game. NL 35-20

Lincolnton and the ponies will be close one given that we are both down. I like our chances in this game now that we have switched back to an offense that fits our personnel better and Tyshawn Harris is running the football pretty dang good right now. East has a pretty stout defense but I think their struggles on offense will be too much to overcome. Wolves beat the ponies 21-7

Maiden and WL is also an interesting match up to see how Maidens defense is against a team who can run the football. If the west defense struggled with NL passing game then Maiden should have a field day. Maiden 42-17

Suppose to be a rebuilding year for Maiden but I respect how they just stay....Maiden. Somehow this school can lose 15 or 20 seniors and still have a .500 season the very next year. I suppose that's not happened EVERY year but there's been more wins than losses. I know upsets happen but Maiden should take this one easily. Just judging from the WL NL game don't let the score fool ya, North was the better team overall simply because of the offense. 2 lost fumbles, 2 blown assignments on defense for North lead to 3 or 4 of WLs scores. Also consider what Maiden did to EB. WL allowed them to win. They didn't win cause they were good, they won cause they played assignment defense and kept them limited.

I like your synopsis and agree that Maiden vs W. Lincoln could very well help form what the top half of the conference will look like in most cases. However, in an event where W. Lincoln happens to beat Maiden and LNC could edge N. Lincoln; then the standings would definitely become merky and make for some very very intersting match-ups throughout the entire season and less predictable with wins of favorites over the underdogs, making the first year of this South Fork Conference one of the most competitive leagues in Western Region of 2A.

It can be all around interesting if some upsets happen. WL beating Maiden will be a HUGE upset. Won't happen cause Maiden will limit the run and won't leave a wide out vastly wide open like NL did. WL is not even a passing team and they got 2 lucky shots on North cause of blown assignments. Had to be blown assignments(if anyone reading this and wants to argue) cause QB rolls out of pocket but is not past LOS yet and the whole defense shifts his way and there's a guy standing on the other side of the field by himself with no NL within 70 feet of him. Pass -catch- score. Happened not once but twice LOL. Maiden, NC EL and Linc woulda shut that down. Pack will have his defense ready and should in no way lose this game.

I noticed that West has a two-headed monster in the backfield with their running game, just like North seems to have the same but at the receiver position. Both teams have two players at the top end of the leader board in stats in passing, rushing and receiving.

I noticed that West has a two-headed monster in the backfield with their running game, just like North seems to have the same but at the receiver position. Both teams have two players at the top end of the leader board in stats in passing, rushing and receiving.

Sure do. They have never had a wideout like this before that I can even recall. If they did they didn't have a QB to get the ball to em' like this guy. Too bad the QB is a senior.

N-C @ Bandys
Lincolnton @ E. Lincoln
N. Lincoln @ LNC
Maiden @ W. Lincoln

I'm going say nc vs bandys and the Lincolnton vs E. Lincoln

Maiden will walk all over west Lincoln and the LNC vs N. Lincoln is battle for last place and I'm going to say the conference championship game come down to NC vs Maiden in week 11

Maiden will walk all over west Lincoln and the LNC vs N. Lincoln is battle for last place and I'm going to say the conference championship game come down to NC vs Maiden in week 11

That's a shame that a team putting up the numbers in this conf on offense has to be a team that may finish last. I wouldn't totally write em off for last/next to last yet. They MIGHT beat Bandys in a down to the wire action and should walk away with a win against LNC if the defense holds up long enough.

Question for any NL fans or conf experts, will this wide receiver transfer to another school after this year? That seems to be the case with a few talented players that started at North over the years.

I heard that a few players from Davidson Day transferred in to N. Lincoln this year so hopefully they can continue to build a strong program and add competition to the conference.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
I sure hope so. I know I've downed that defense on here quiet a bit. It has to be fixed or that'll discourage any athlete on the team that's getting seen by scouts and putting up numbers and make him or them want to go off to a winning program. Heritage middle school is bad for having talented kids go off to Freedom but in a way if they want recruited and have some wins i bout can't blame em'.

In the case for NL, Herdeon started at North, goes to Lincolnton. Thompson brother last year, Lincolnton. Good QB in 06' for EL that was a step down from Surrats talent, started at NL. Prob many more I don't know bout. I couldn't blame that QB move cause he was having to play behind Trent Hopkins. Trent was a beast- very accurate, good distance on throws and if he was flushed out of the pocket he'd bull over ya hence the rushing yards he'd put up too. QB converting to FB in the drop of a hat. Big kid, hate he got hurt. Ruined rest of season for NL that year and who knows how far they woulda got. Trent now does ministry. Proud of em'

Burke, in terms of kids leaving North for Lincolnton more times than not they grew up in the City of Lincolnton, went to middle school in Lincolnton, played optimist ball in Lincolnton, and just had to go to North because of personal issues or family issues. I know from Herndon's situation he lived and grew up in Lincolnton and was never in North's district, had to go to North for some time because he got into trouble at Lincolnton. The qb from East a few years back that transferred to Lincolnton had always played little league in Lincolnton, had family ties, and for the most part grew up with kids that were on that Lincolnton team from 2010-2013. The Thompson kid has family ties in Lincolnton as well. Most of the time it isn't a matter of us being the better program in the county, but most of these kids started off and have roots in Lincolnton.

Burke, in terms of kids leaving North for Lincolnton more times than not they grew up in the City of Lincolnton, went to middle school in Lincolnton, played optimist ball in Lincolnton, and just had to go to North because of personal issues or family issues. I know from Herndon's situation he lived and grew up in Lincolnton and was never in North's district, had to go to North for some time because he got into trouble at Lincolnton. The qb from East a few years back that transferred to Lincolnton had always played little league in Lincolnton, had family ties, and for the most part grew up with kids that were on that Lincolnton team from 2010-2013. The Thompson kid has family ties in Lincolnton as well. Most of the time it isn't a matter of us being the better program in the county, but most of these kids started off and have roots in Lincolnton.

Makes sense I suppose. They do share a tight border on school districting so I wasn't sure what the deal was cause it does happen. In Burke co kids were or are suppose to go to the school of their area. Suposivly that was the case in Charlotte but it was odd that Indy was that good for that many years under Knotts. I wish the best for North and the new coach and the new stuff they have going but it's gotta be discouraging for the kids and fans when talent walks off else were no matter what the school. For North it's really tough since they're not blessed with speedsters and hard nose tacklers every year like East and Lincoln tend to have.

Same sorta Athletes always reside in a place called Hibriten....yeah Hibriten. People may see them as the great white shark of the unifor area football wise but I can tell you I've seen and known them to have some extremely down years were it looked like they couldn't get anything going and you'd just about feel sorry for em' as you played em. Even during East Burkes worse seasons in long past they'd still lay down a whooping on Hibriten and South Caldwell. When Lincolnton gets on their feet and they will, expect these 2 to meet in the playoffs a lot. Talent pool will be deep for at least 3 years.

Expecting a crowd tonight at the EL game, I give Lincolnton the edge simply because they put up a fight with Newton. Of course people though North would have it in he bag with WL since they lost to EB.

So tonight all Lincoln schools except West can and will go either way.

Terrible play calling and time management down the stretch for us tonight. We were in the game and had a chance to win it at the end but awful play calling costs us the game against East. With this loss we are most likely not going to make the playoffs unless we somehow run the table from here on out. Hats off to the ponies but this one stings.

Reactions: golden one
That's why we play the game. Even though both of your teams are down the best rivalry feeling musta lived on. Lincolnton will be back on the battle tank next year. I know it's crazy to be talkin next year next year etc but with Lincolnton history has a power to it. Never stay down longer than a year. For yalls sakes(Lincolnton) you guys don't stay down so much as to end up losing to West Lincoln. Not saying they are terrible, they played a good game with North(even though I think more along the lines of North beat themselves) and West hung with Maiden for at least alittle while which brings their stock back up after losing to EB.

Last night(as if anyone cares lol) i decided last min to go to my homecoming at East Burke cause i figured I'd see some old faces and classmates and mingle. Was originally gonna check out Freedom and Hickory which WAS a game from what I heard. I have to say East Burke looked so outmatched and outplayed and undersized and wondered how in the world did these guys beat West Lincoln. That being said you two guys (EL and Lincolnton) have hope in wining that game especially county championships on line.

As far as Norths game went with LNC they did put up more pts on them than East did but the score looked like they did nothing more than play a team that's around same level as Highland Tech and Carolina Wildcats. If Pack has his defense on a roll and in check we could be talking county champions for the first time ever. I mean I really don't think North has ever beat all 3 county teams before from what I can gather.

North is almost a mirror image but with less talent and Athletes of- Watauga 2016. The Boone boys had a high octane offense that took them deep in playoffs(sorta) and even gave Hibriten a scare. But the defense couldn't stop anything or stop much depending on who they played. You guys think I'm bad, I never heard so much chatter bout how terrible Wataugas defense was last year on these boards lol.

Last edited:
I heard that West lost several fumbles and turned the ball over on downs a few times also inside Maidens redzone.

Well neither one of us was at that game obviously but what is obvious is what you said bout being in the red zone and fumbling it shows the game was much closer and WL may very well and can be in the running for winning co champs at least and could take 2nd if they win out and one or more of the 3 Lincoln teams defeats Maiden. It's gonna be an interesting and tight race for the finish with even NL with all their close losses can still possibly win a conf champ(not likely) and county champ(possible, if the other 2 beat WL and NL wins out and win/lose to Newton) North tunes up the defense and it can be a done deal. I say all that to say this, it's all interesting and fun- seeing a tight race to the finish with the only outright winner being Newton. 2nd place is were it gets hot as of right now, next week will vastly determine that. Should North lose, all East has to do is win out from there and of course take the Newton loss.

Next question, for a Hibriten rematch with Newton, are both these teams same classification in 2a play?

Well neither one of us was at that game obviously but what is obvious is what you said bout being in the red zone and fumbling it shows the game was much closer and WL may very well and can be in the running for winning co champs at least and could take 2nd if they win out and one or more of the 3 Lincoln teams defeats Maiden. It's gonna be an interesting and tight race for the finish with even NL with all their close losses can still possibly win a conf champ(not likely) and county champ(possible, if the other 2 beat WL and NL wins out and win/lose to Newton) North tunes up the defense and it can be a done deal. I say all that to say this, it's all interesting and fun- seeing a tight race to the finish with the only outright winner being Newton. 2nd place is were it gets hot as of right now, next week will vastly determine that. Should North lose, all East has to do is win out from there and of course take the Newton loss.
Im excited to see how this all shakes out in the South Fork and how many teams we send to the postseason because we could see some early local playoff games against nearby conferences like: Shelby, South Point, Hibriten, Patton, and Foard.

Week 7 is upon us and we have four great games that will help us start to establish the contenders as we get deeper into conference play. What are your thoughts and predictions on these games?

Bandys @ Lincolnton
Lake Norman Charter @ Maiden
West Lincoln @ Newton-Conover
East Lincoln @ North Lincoln

Week 7 is upon us and we have four great games that will help us start to establish the contenders as we get deeper into conference play. What are your thoughts and predictions on these games?

Bandys @ Lincolnton
Lake Norman Charter @ Maiden
West Lincoln @ Newton-Conover
East Lincoln @ North Lincoln

Id say Lincolnton over Bandys by a score or 2

Maidens JVs could handle this one.

All Newton. If they could keep Witherspoon from Hibriten in check I'm sure they'll be ok with these little 2 headed dragons. Newton by 3 scores..maybe more depending on how much Beam wants payback for last years loss.

Well well well....most interesting game of the night. Already a post in general on this game so I'll keep it short. Give QB time to throw the ball....defense gets some lucky breaks, it's Norths game. Otherwise it's all East. Expect a crowd, especially when North has a chance compared to years back and East has a chance to keep wins coming and attempt at the crown. ALOT on the line on this game and rest assured West fans and Lincolnton fans will be listening alittle more to the score updates of this one while they watch their games.

Advice to Newton, don't walk in cocky and layed back on WL just because you guys beat EB ruthlessly and EB upset West. These are tough little boogers just ask Maiden.

All Newton. If they could keep Witherspoon from Hibriten in check I'm sure they'll be ok with these little 2 headed dragons. Newton by 3 scores..maybe more depending on how much Beam wants payback for last years loss.

Well well well....most interesting game of the night. Already a post in general on this game so I'll keep it short. Give QB time to throw the ball....defense gets some lucky breaks, it's Norths game. Otherwise it's all East. Expect a crowd, especially when North has a chance compared to years back and East has a chance to keep wins coming and attempt at the crown. ALOT on the line on this game and rest assured West fans and Lincolnton fans will be listening alittle more to the score updates of this one while they watch their games.
I bet so, and im sure both West and Lincolnton are hoping for North to beat East.

Advice to Newton, don't walk in cocky and layed back on WL just because you guys beat EB ruthlessly and EB upset West. These are tough little boogers just ask Maiden.

This week's Simmons ratings has North a 5 point favorite over East. It seems this game will be a very tough and competitive matchup. Good luck to both teams.

Lincolnton comes in as the slight favorite over Bandys tonight and I expect a ground attack from both teams, the one with the least turnovers and penalties will have the advantage. I believe the wolves win this game.

No surprise that Maiden comes in at a 41 point favorite over Lake Norman Charter. Not much to talk about on this matchup.

My favorite game this week is any one that the Red Devils are playing in, which this week will be against the West Lincoln Rebels. Like any other week, the team that prepares throughout the week harder and executes better on Friday night the best, gives themselves a good shot at being victorious. Hopefully that will be N-C tonight. Good luck to West Lincoln and hope to see a big crowd from our visitors tonight inside Gurley Stadium.

I think the NC and West game will be alot like the NC and Lincolnton game. Close first half and then the Devils speed will take over and wear down the Rebels in the second. NC 49-20

I think the NC and West game will be alot like the NC and Lincolnton game. Close first half and then the Devils speed will take over and wear down the Rebels in the second. NC 49-20
The Ikard kid from West seems to have some speed too so we'll have our hands full with him also.

The Ikard kid from West seems to have some speed too so we'll have our hands full with him also.
I think if you can contain Harris for us I dont think you'll have a problem with Ikard. Although I'd say that West has more overall talent in the backfield than we do this season and they have another kid with some speed that runs hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT