ADVERTISEMENT

South Fork Athletic Conference

On to week 3. Thoughts and predictions??

Newton and Hickory- Newton by 14. Gonna be a great game. Expecting Beam to have alittle something for em' and expect him be alittle more on his toes. Good indicator game as to how the conf race may go.

West Lincoln and Cville- all West all night.

North Lincoln an Foard- expecting a win this time around by the Knights but prob not by much. If they play like the scrimmages went then it may not be a problem.

Lincolnton and N Gaston- A first win badly needed. Will get it Friday. Wolves by 21 or alittle less.

Maiden and BHill- Maiden with their starters out before halftime.

EL and Ashbrook- both athletic teams, may go either way but I give Ash the edge by 14 or less.

LNC and some private school- I'll go with LNC. Very little info on LNC and none on their opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: N-C Red Devils
One thing I gotta admit bout this conference and the neighboring 2A conf, all these schools are extremely close to each other. Bout wish they'd keep it this way. Farthest drive- Patton to West Iredell. Even that isn't bad considering both are close to I40.

Hickory will get ran off the field. Newton has too many athletes and Hickory does not have enough players to be able to withstand Newtons attack. Maybe if they met at the end of the year it would be different, but Friday will be a beating unless Hickory holds the ball the whole game and scores on every possession.

My thoughts.....Newton Conover is the team to beat in the South Fork, followed by East Lincoln, West Lincoln. After that I see Lincolnton, North Lincoln, Maiden bunched up in no particular order followed by Bandys and Lake Norman Charter.

Newton Conover is strong on offense. East Lincoln is strong on defense. This is probably the best West Lincoln team is recent years....have a QB who can throw the ball to go with their running attack. Definitely going to be a down year for Lincolnton....with their tough schedule they may not have a winning record. There is a new culture at North Lincoln under first year coach Steve Pack....expect them to win 5 or 6 games this year. They also have a very good JV team.

My thoughts.....Newton Conover is the team to beat in the South Fork, followed by East Lincoln, West Lincoln. After that I see Lincolnton, North Lincoln, Maiden bunched up in no particular order followed by Bandys and Lake Norman Charter.

Newton Conover is strong on offense. East Lincoln is strong on defense. This is probably the best West Lincoln team is recent years....have a QB who can throw the ball to go with their running attack. Definitely going to be a down year for Lincolnton....with their tough schedule they may not have a winning record. There is a new culture at North Lincoln under first year coach Steve Pack....expect them to win 5 or 6 games this year. They also have a very good JV team.

So you can't see North taking it to Lincolnton while their down? It mighta been 06' Lincolnton suffered senior loss and had a down year and North defeated them for the first time and got em one more time in 14' I think, but they picked it right back up the next year That's good they have a JV team again to feed off of cause that's been lacking big time at North. Musta had a good middle school team last year. I'm really looking forward to West and North game. Oughta be a good gate sale.

Anyway what are your guys picks this week ??

Last edited:
South Fork Picks for the night-

NL and Bessemer City- the speed bothers me, Bess may take this one by a down to the wire score.

West Lincoln and EB- in the normal years this would be a joke. West rumbles by 3 TDs or better. Is this the first meeting between the 2?

EL and EGaston- sad to say a struggle but EL picks up 1st win.

NC and Hibriten- a post by itself. Y'all know the deal. They'll score, hopfully more than JM Robinson but a upset ain't happening.

Bandys and Hickory- all Hickory especially now that they prob have a groove going.

Any takes?

I know they wasn't much to brag on back in 98 99 00 01 range when they were playing South, Hickory, Foard and them boys. Prob be slipping back to that calibure soon but surley not this year.
Actually in the 2000/2001 season ELHS went 9-2 only losing to Fred T. Foard in the regular season. In the 2001/2002 season they did start off 0-5, but fought back to win 3 games in 8 days, and got a forfeit win from North Gaston to make the playoffs.

Actually in the 2000/2001 season ELHS went 9-2 only losing to Fred T. Foard in the regular season. In the 2001/2002 season they did start off 0-5, but fought back to win 3 games in 8 days, and got a forfeit win from North Gaston to make the playoffs.

Didn't know, but did know they had a great season in 2000. Watched them lose to Foard in the rain that night at Foard. Great speedy RB in Kenan Huntley that year for East.

Well Burkes recap for the South Fork-

EB and West- ....well after blasting Draughn as bad as Freedom did, running close with a MUCH improved Foard team, and EB just being plain weak who in the world saw this coming?? Keep in mind, EB is extremely young and has nowhere to go but up. Before the Cinderella season of 07' they were 3-8 the year before so you never can tell.

Lincolnton and N Gaston- is NG really improved and feisty this year? I know Lincolnton is having rebuilding issues and a down year but it's the same song and dance I've observed over the course of 15 17 years or so- 5 6 7 years go by and Lincolnton destroys people then has a down year were WAY too much talent graduated year before then the year after that they pick it right back up and destroy people again.

NC and Hibriten- post all its own, go to it for more info. Nobody saw this coming. Moral victory in my book to only lose to Hibriten by 1 point. Rest of season in bag unless they play hangover or top players get in trouble along the way. Hope Stenson gets better from the cramps.

NL and B City- ok we knew BC was gonna be tough even though they sit in a cupcake conference but gimmie a break I thought North had the offense needed to be competitive and for the most part they do but seems defense has been the tripper this year and costly mistakes at the wrong place wrong time. After the WL hiccup with EB we may see Norths first conf win. I know EB don't carry an offense like North does this year and West came up short on it obviously.

Bandys and Hickory- well we saw this coming, Hickory improved, well coached, gave NC all they could handle last week even in a loss.

EL and E.G.- badly needed win for EL but against a struggling team. Does this mean they still don't have a chance against rest of conf? Well games aren't played on paper and wins against the rest of Lincoln co are still possible. Lincolnton and West are as down seems like against NL, just play defense and run the ball and they can beat them too.

We are looking forward to starting a new conference opening week in the South Fork League. Newton is coming off a tough loss were we dominated a highly ranked team but couldn't get the win and now we're looking forward to a matchup with tradition rich team in Lincolnton. Let the games begin!

NC @ Hibriten stats

First downs (NC 18) (HH 11)
Rushes-yards (NC 38-140) (HH 33-239)
Passing (NC 224) (HH 8)
Comp-Att-Int (NC 19-37-2) (HH 1-4-0)
Fumbles lost (NC 1-0) (HH 4-4)
Penalties-yards (NC 13-95) (HH 2-26)

Individual stats:

Rushing - NC: Stinson 19-128; S. Baker 19-12. Hibriten: Witherspoon 5-98; Scott 13-63; Jones 14-47; Simon 1-25; Logan 1-13

Passing - NC: S. Baker 19-37, 224. Hibriten: Scott 1-4, 8.

Receiving - NC: M. Baker 5-89; Mullen 7-76; Squarles 3-34; McClain 5-19; Stinson 1-6. Hibriten: Witherspoon 1-8.

NC @ Hibriten stats

Passing (NC 224) (HH 8)

Individual stats:

Rushing - NC: Stinson 19-128; S. Baker 19-12. Hibriten: Witherspoon 5-98; Scott 13-63; Jones 14-47; Simon 1-25; Logan 1-13

Receiving - NC: M. Baker 5-89; Mullen 7-76; Squarles 3-34; McClain 5-19; Stinson 1-6. Hibriten: Witherspoon 1-8.

Some good stats and it shows that Newton has a 1-2 punch whereas Hibriten relys on their run and Oline to push the run. This kinda game mix can come in real handy when facing a giant like SP or Shelby. You guys faced a defense and made it possible to get through them. Just costly mistakes at the wrong time and that's what happened with North Lincoln other night besides the fact they don't carry a defense like they did during the Beam years while at NL.

NC @ Hibriten stats

Passing (NC 224) (HH 8)

Individual stats:

Not sure how you dominate a team that turns the ball over 5 times and still wins, but I'm impressed by Newton and their total yardage I thought Hibriten would win by two scores.

Hibriten didnt have 5 turnovers, they had 4 fumbles and our defense held their offense in check, but we had 2 Int's of our own.

Hibriten caught us off guard on their second play from scrimmage went 80 yards for a long touch down play. After that possession they only gained 160 yards of total offense.

We moved the ball at will and every time we got into the red zone the refs would throw flag after flag. Hibriten's defense never stopped our offense and the penalties kept us from scoring at least three times.

Both teams will get better but in my opinion, right now we are a 2-3 scores better than hibriten.

N-C came up with a heck of a performance.... Other then the penalties and 2 defensive breakdowns(2nd play 85 yd TD and reverse for TD where the backside defenders got a bit too aggressive) out-played and out-coached Hibriten all night.... Didn't understand the play call on the first INT after 18 play drive but probably just trying to catch us off guard.... The players, coaches and fans from Newton have nothing to hang their head about over that performance.

Some good stats and it shows that Newton has a 1-2 punch whereas Hibriten relys on their run and Oline to push the run. This kinda game mix can come in real handy when facing a giant like SP or Shelby. You guys faced a defense and made it possible to get through them. Just costly mistakes at the wrong time and that's what happened with North Lincoln other night besides the fact they don't carry a defense like they did during the Beam years while at NL.
Panthers have no passing game except the occasional screen pass.... Will haunt them in the playoffs like it did last year against South Point

Like I said you guys will cruise in this conference and rest of way til playoffs. Maiden will punch you in the mouth a time or two cause we'll...they are Maiden, they always seem to have something even after vast senior losses BUT N-C will take em' especially as long as they keep the passing game shining and that beast of a RB healthy. He already has at least soph/ jr year SOCON physical features. Now THATS at RB. This is why I don't understand why he wasn't used at the goal line when Newton threw that INT. Maybe Beam wanted to catch em off guard, sometimes it works. That's why I can't be a head coach or a Ocorrdinator lol.

Panthers have no passing game except the occasional screen pass.... Will haunt them in the playoffs like it did last year against South Point

It could haunt them as early as Foard or Patton if they don't watch it ha ha. They'll beat em' but they wont take em' lightly I'm sure.

Tomorrow @ 7:30pm begins the first night of conference games in our new South Fork Athletic Conference. There are some very good match-ups so hopefully the fans from different games within the conference will post scores and updates to this thread.

Bandys @ Maiden
N. Lincoln @ W. Lincoln
Lake Norman Charter @ E. Lincoln
Lincolnton @ Newton-Conover

Maiden in a somewhat closer than expected game
NL because I think their offense will be too much for West
EL will win but struggle to score as we've seen this season
NC by how much ever they want but expect Tyshawn Harris to have big numbers for Lincolnton

Maiden in a somewhat closer than expected game
NL because I think their offense will be too much for West
EL will win but struggle to score as we've seen this season
NC by how much ever they want but expect Tyshawn Harris to have big numbers for Lincolnton

Sounds spot on but I think NL and West will be much closer than expected simply because of Norths suspect defense. If they let Foard, who is a good(after so many years) but not great, move the ball on them and allowed them to claw back from a big lead and over take them big time and BC who is better than usual on offense but has the easiest schedule known to man, score on them, then it's gonna pretty much come down to North scoring on most O drives and West making more mistakes and North able to capitalize.

That being said do any of these 2 teams have a chance to make playoffs- making it yes but barley and round 1 done.

I do like how coach Pack is getting North in the right direction.

Don't have any other info on any of the games but I take it that RB for Lincolnton is an underclassman and will be looking just fine for Newton not this year but next. I mean come on, it's Lincolnton. Good years most of the time. One bad year in the mix then all good for 4 or 5 more years before any trouble.

These every once in a blue moon Cinderella teams like East Burke 07' and NL 07' and North Gaston 06' tend to have more rebuilding/down years than most schools. Lincolnton don't have that prob much and Shelby- well, I've never heard of them having below a .700 season ever. Have they? I'm sure they have but I never heard of it. Mallard Creek- if they lose more than 4 games it's the end of the world. Kinda like NCs new Del La LaSalle type team with Vance coming out of nowere and showing the elite what's up. Once Knotts left Indy, it went down but school is still full of athletes none the less.

Hypothetically speaking let's say Knotts got a wild hair up his bum and started coaching NL. Mark my word, they'd be a 2 a powerhouse with corn fed linemen boys slipping over from West to play for them and a few track stars from Lincolnton and East. Happened for s short while at Crest too, no denying it. Lol

But back to reality, I don't know how good these RBs are for West but if EB could contain them just enough maybe North can too. I'm telling ya that D better shapen up. Air attack might work better against West than at Foard or BC. That's there main advantage. NW4a boys AC couldn't stop North from driving so a big advantage tonight if the pass game is consistent and running game does just enough to keep 1downs coming and North eats enough clock as well.

Burke, the running back for Lincolnton is a senior who is one of the most athletic kids that we have had at Lincolnton. Just had to play behind a bunch of studs and never got the looks. If you haven't seen him jump on the basketball court it is a spectacle to see someone of his size get up like he does.

I appreciate that you keep giving us the benefit of the doubt with being down but given our numbers in middle school I don't know what the next few years are going to look like and I'm worried about where it can take us. Participation is a huge concern for us right now with more kids opting to simply not play or just not interested in football.

I think North will give West fits throwing the ball because their passing attack will be the best that West has seen I believe. They gave AC a game which makes me believe that they can make some noise in this conference if they gain some confidence.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
Told ya North has no defense. West 36 to 27. North O scores on every drive unless they drop it. That's happened twice lol. Smh

West offense is not that good. North just makes them look like they are. Lincolnton and East should take West no problem is defense is stable.

Really? Early in the season i thought west would be a contender for the conference title.

Every game may be different but the offense ran in this game looked stoppable if there were athletes on other side of ball. Being there are lack there of for North and EB beat these guys last week and Newton is showing who they really are- that's a big no for West contending.

Battle of 2 offenses and crappy defenses for sure. 140 left in game with West driving. West played mistake free, North 2 fumbles lost and 2 2 pt conversations failed. Score about to wrap up at 56 to 49 West. Soild QB and a wide out and 2 mistakes doesn't win games.

Both of those guys may go somewhere. But anyone on that defense would be lucky to be a walk on for Campbell lol(worst college ever heard of in football)

Last edited:
Any recaps on other games ?

EL wasn't playing anybody,

Maiden played with a rival which usually makes for a close game.

Newton played with Athletes and it showed. Prevailed when they got it together and pulled away.

My hats go off to West to take advantage of 2 costly NL mistakes. One of those lost fumbles was toward Wests end zone so that didn't help their cause. That RB for North is good and knows how to follow his blocks and also has another year along with the wideout Rhods having 2 more years. Future looks bright as long as they can get a QB and spurce up the defense. No sacks at all on West QB unless I missed one. Good protection for NL QB although he took a sack or 2. Don't let the score full ya, ball taken care of itd been a North win. I assume that's been the case with all the North games except maybe Foard game. Foard game was defensive letdown.

Advice for EL and Lincolnton - west can't be toyed with on offense but you guys offense will move the ball on them. Fumbling not advisable lol. As for when you play NL, the passing game is something you won't be used to but containable. Their defense can't stop much so unfortunately for North it's looking like a 2 win season dispite their QBs and wideouts stat numbers which are all huge in losing efforts. Should have 1 st team all conf for Norths QB and a couple wideouts. RBs fumbles eleumated he might take an honorable mention. North will be better next year with the direction they are going. Right now they are losing their games only by 7 points for less except the Foard game.

All that being said this is one of the toughest 1-4 teams around. Once that defense gets up to par this will be or could be one of the best programs around. Losing that QB to graduation will hurt big but if they get someone else under center next year and IMPROVE the defense they should be ok.

Last edited:
Ok South Forkers I woke up and got bored. I work night shift anyways lol.

Who besides Newton and Maiden and maybe West have a fighting chance to getting into the playoffs just by early judgement?

Since Lincoln Charter already has 4 wins, if they can beat two of Bandys/N. Lincoln/Lincolnton, they can possibly make the playoffs with 6 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT