ADVERTISEMENT

SMC finish predictions..

On paper Swain probably has the most balanced team (in terms of offense to defense ratio) right now and as such if I were to predict anyone to win the conference outright at the moment, it would probably be them. But I don't think they're "separating themselves", especially if you're basing that on the Franklin game.

That final score against Franklin looks a lot nicer than the Murphy - Franklin score but dig deeper and you'll find Dogs actually had about 100 yards more of total offense against Franklin than Swain. 'Dogs moved the ball fine in that game they just didn't cash in their red zone opportunities. Murphy are a young team (only starting 3 seniors on offense and defense) that's still finding their way. Swain probably should look sharper than Murphy or Robbinsville right now, it's a team loaded with experienced seniors.

Like I said I dont see any "separation" at the top, that's wishful thinking on your end. All of the big three are pretty close this year and I think a three way tie is a very possible outcome.

Last edited:
Swain is the most balanced of the 3 right now and at this time I'd personally say they're the slight favorite in the conference but I don't think they're "separating themselves", especially if you're basing that on Franklin.

That final score against Franklin looks a lot nicer than Murphy score but dig deeper and you'll find Dogs actually had 100 more yards of total offense against Franklin than Swain, 'Dogs just didn't cash in their red zone opportunities. Murphy are a young team (only starting 3 seniors on offense and defense) that's still finding their way, Swain should look sharper than Murphy or Robbinsville right now, it's a team loaded with experienced seniors.

Like I said Swain is a slight favorite in my mind but I think the "separation" at the top doesn't exist, that's wishful thinking. All 3 are pretty close this year and I think a 3 way tie is a likely outcome.
Swain is the most balanced of the 3 right now and at this time I'd personally say they're the slight favorite in the conference but I don't think they're "separating themselves", especially if you're basing that on Franklin.

That final score against Franklin looks a lot nicer than Murphy score but dig deeper and you'll find Dogs actually had 100 more yards of total offense against Franklin than Swain, 'Dogs just didn't cash in their red zone opportunities. Murphy are a young team (only starting 3 seniors on offense and defense) that's still finding their way, Swain should look sharper than Murphy or Robbinsville right now, it's a team loaded with experienced seniors.

Like I said Swain is a slight favorite in my mind but I think the "separation" at the top doesn't exist, that's wishful thinking. All 3 are pretty close this year and I think a 3 way tie is a likely outcome.
While I understand the total rushing yards arguments. Swain played a lot of their second string to finish the game, and also missed out on several scoring opportunities. Score could have easily been 42-0.

Reactions: Swaindad40
Swain has definitely separated themselves from Andrews Cherokee Rosman and Hayesville
Just like robbinsville separated themselves from Life Christian Academy? Get out of here Gentle. You all have enough to worry about in Graham county.

Your the only one that has Swain above Robbinsville and Murphy.
Thats counting the AP poll, the WNC ranking by the citizen times, Carolina preps, and NC preps. I think Max preps had Swain above Robbinsville a few weeks ago.

No worries in Graham..Swain worried about October 18th and October 25th? They should be...2 consecutive weeks..Ouch

While I understand the total rushing yards arguments. Swain played a lot of their second string to finish the game, and also missed out on several scoring opportunities. Score could have easily been 42-0.
Fair enough and Murphy missed out on a several scoring opportunities as well and had an 85 yard pass play called back on a questionable block in the back call.. I don't think the Franklin game tells me much of anything about how these two teams are going to match up in Bryson City

Your the only one that has Swain above Robbinsville and Murphy.
Thats counting the AP poll, the WNC ranking by the citizen times, Carolina preps, and NC preps. I think Max preps had Swain above Robbinsville a few weeks ago.
And the most reliable Simmons Ratings

Fair enough and Murphy missed out on a several scoring opportunities as well and had an 85 yard pass play called back on a questionable block in the back call.. I don't think the Franklin game tells me much of anything about how these two teams are going to match up in Bryson City
Exactly..probably the worst Franklin team in over 20 years

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
Actually Maxpreps has Murphy 62nd Robbinsville 80th and Swain 101st in the state.
Oh yeah and Simmons.

All you posters get on here and exclaim that you can't base an opinion on 1 teams game against another. Let's take murphy v franklin and swain v franklin. Swain beat franklin by more and murphy was theoretically one big touchdown and 2 point conversion away form a tie game. Yet some think murphy is a better team? How do you all think they get these rankings? Do all the voters watch every game and access each play? No it's based on bias opinions and and the amount of publicity each team gets. Murphy is the defending 1a state champs therefore they get a higher ranking than they should. Robbinsville returns 2 starting running backs from last year therefore they get more publicity and higher rankings. Nvm that they have given up 108 total points this year compared to Swains 41. Also take into consideration that Swain and Robbinsville have played 2 of the "same" teams.

That is 100% true, The Murphy and Swain game is a classic rivalry that doesn't always have the better team winning.

I'd watch myself..not many Murphy or Robbinsville fans on here crowing about how good we are or how we are the frontrunner..Swain has beat 3 terrible teams and 1 mediocre team..October could be humbling.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I'd watch myself..not many Murphy or Robbinsville fans on here crowing about how good we are or how we are the frontrunner..Swain has beat 3 terrible teams and 1 mediocre team..October could be humbling.
This entire thread is about SMC finish predictions.......

Robbinsville has played the tougher schedule.
Rabun is better than Franklin and Erwin is better than Enka.
Robbinsville has scored 156 points and rushed for 13 or 1400 yds.
Swain has scored 120 points and rusher for half that.
Whats your point?

Robbinsville has played the tougher schedule.
Rabun is better than Franklin and Erwin is better than Enka.
Robbinsville has scored 156 points and rushed for 13 or 1400 yds.
Swain has scored 120 points and rusher for half that.
Whats your point?
But I thought we couldn't compare teams?

Swain played a beat up, semi-JV team in Franklin. 7 starters out. QB and another RB/LB left the game early with it 7-0. I don’t like to compare scores, to me it’s more about who’s on the field. Not saying Swain is bad because we all know better, y’all just butt hurt because it’s been a while.

All you posters get on here and exclaim that you can't base an opinion on 1 teams game against another. Let's take murphy v franklin and swain v franklin. Swain beat franklin by more and murphy was theoretically one big touchdown and 2 point conversion away form a tie game. Yet some think murphy is a better team? How do you all think they get these rankings? Do all the voters watch every game and access each play? No it's based on bias opinions and and the amount of publicity each team gets. Murphy is the defending 1a state champs therefore they get a higher ranking than they should. Robbinsville returns 2 starting running backs from last year therefore they get more publicity and higher rankings. Nvm that they have given up 108 total points this year compared to Swains 41. Also take into consideration that Swain and Robbinsville have played 2 of the "same" teams.
..and Swain has this team full of Seniors and an all world running back that you mommies and daddies have proclaimed as champions since termites..somehow it always gets put off a year

I'd hate to know if I was a solid Big 1AA team I had to get on here and make my case for my team against 2 Small 1a teams..Fact is Robbinsville and Murphy have excellent chances at a 1A championship..Swain has zero ,and I mean zero chances at a state championship..Keep tooting that horn mommy..enjoy your conference victories. Lol

I'd hate to know if I was a solid Big 1AA team I had to get on here and make my case for my team against 2 Small 1a teams..Fact is Robbinsville and Murphy have excellent chances at a 1A championship..Swain has zero ,and I mean zero chances at a state championship..Keep tooting that horn mommy..enjoy your conference victories. Lol
I'd hate to know anytime I get beat I have the excuse of "we're small 1a". Get a new argument Gentle. You complain about Murphy 24/7. You look for any excuse you can and you don't let it rest.

He/ She might not know what a oak looks like and may not have access to a schedule or be able to read....go light on his/her apparent slackness between the ears.

Lulz. Nah I've never seen a tree in my life, although I've cut more trees in my short adult life than I'm going to venture to say anyone on here has (unless someone is in the business of logging).

Last edited:

What do you not understand about the flaw in comparing scores between two teams playing the same opponent lol. According to you last year Swain held Andrews scoreless while Murphy let Andrews score and had a smaller margin of victory. So in your infinite wisdom you would then claim Swain is better, correct? Remind me of the Murphy-Swain score last year?

Reactions: Gentle Knight
What do you not understand about the flaw in comparing scores between two teams playing the same opponent lol. According to you last year Swain held Andrews scoreless while Murphy let Andrews score and had a smaller margin of victory. So in your infinite wisdom you would then claim Swain is better, correct? Remind me of the Murphy-Swain score last year?
Food for thought..Swain has the exact same team this year as last year..except they are missing a few of their better linemen such as Nolan Brown

Reactions: pollo_loco
Food for thought..Swain has the exact same team this year as last year..except they are missing a few of their better linemen such as Nolan Brown

I'm not taking anything away from Swain or any other team. The argument of how Team A performed against an opponent vs how Team B performed against the same opponent is just a shaky argument to me. It's about schemes, match ups, and other random factors that can influence a game. But what do I know, so on here now claim I don't even know what trees are lol.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
You are not understanding me. That's okay it happens a lot. You all blast your rankings. I don't believe in rankings is my overall point. Rankings are based on the amount of exposure your team gets to the media. Murphy gets a tons of exposure, rightfully so they are the defending state 1a champs, however I believe they are ranked too high.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
You are not understanding me. That's okay it happens a lot. You all blast your rankings. I don't believe in rankings is my overall point. Rankings are based on the amount of exposure your team gets to the media. Murphy gets a tons of exposure, rightfully so they are the defending state 1a champs, however I believe they are ranked too high.
Have you seen the play? Have you seen everyone on the schedule try to run the ball against them?

If you say so....lol.

I never try to predict the smc. When 3 teams are good( which generally is the case) it’s impossible if you’re not from the smc, and not easy if you are. 2 years ago I would never have saw Murphy losing to Swain and then rolling Cherokee. Then I would never have thought one of the best backs I saw all season would be a sophomore from Robbinsville. ( 1. Robinson, heritage. 2. Mintz, Cherokee. 3. Anderson, Robbinsville). I thought then, look out for Robbinsville in 2 yrs. I also would have never thought Cherokee would roll Mitchell at Mitchell in the playoffs but It happened. Last year, after losing they’re QB to graduation, I thought Mitchell had a chance to dethrone Murphy( which they did) after struggling against a mid-pack Cherokee. I remember texting a friend at half saying, “ I actually think we’re better than Murphy”. Then the 2nd half happened, and Murphy again showed why they are “ Murphy”. All 3 are in the top 10 this year and looks to be another 3 team battle again for the smc. But I’m going to go with my gut feeling 2 yrs ago. 1. Robbinsville 2. Murphy 3.Swain

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT