ADVERTISEMENT

SMC finish predictions..

Untothesehills

Dec 8, 2018
After everybody has played a few pre-conferance games how do you feel it plays out?

Here's my opinion
1) Murphy...not as good offensively but tough defense...Big or little for playoffs?
2) Swain...much improved and playing good..doubt they can beat Murphy.
3) Robbinsville..can outscore most but weak defense will spell trouble against better teams.
4) Hayesville...Injuries have hurt ...but probably couldn't have got in top 3 anyhow.
5) Andrews... might beat Hayesville if they play well but this is about the best they can hope for.
6) Cherokee...not much talent left on the rez...beat Rosman to stay out of the cellar.
7) Rosman...not very good and more than likely finishes at the bottom.

Reactions: KW23
Robbinsville has trouble with pass defense but guess what, we wont see that kind of passing and size the rest of the season.

Tough pick...No doubt Robbinsville has played 3 very good quarterbacks. We have got to get in these receiver's faces coming off the line instead of them having free reign. If I'm not mistaken you can have contact with a receiver for the first 5 yds.?
It disrupts their pattern plus allows time for the defensive line to get pressure on the qb.
SMC could very easily end in 3 way tie.

Robbinsville offense can be scary good..Multiple threats at every skill position.....and the playbook has not even been opened up.

Swain may have the toughest road because they play Murphy and Robbinsville back to back.

Last edited:
If u stack the box...u beat swain...is that still the case this season?

Reactions: BK13T-$
I am starting to lean Swain. Just for the few reasons already given. They get Murphy at home and Robbinsville giving up big yards on the ground and through the air.

I called it preseason; Murphy beats Robbinsville, Robbinsville Beats Swain, and Swain beats Murphy. 3 way tie...
I think you are right on 2 for sure. Murphy will beat Robbinsville. Their D will shut them down and they can score on Robbinsville.

Swain will get the win over Murphy at home. Murphy always has a hard time winning there even when they are the better team.

Swain at Robbinsville right now in my mind can go either way. Swain seems to be playing better defense right now.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Btw..Robbinsville gave up 39 points to Rabun Gap in 2014 and 35 points to them last year...let's not panic yet.
Rabun quarterback has passed for 700 yards already this year..that's probably more than Navy Shuler has passed for so far.

Last edited:
Btw..Robbinsville gave up 39 points to Rabun Gap in 2014 and 35 points to them last year...let's not panic yet.
Rabun quarterback has passed for 700 yards already this year..that's probably more than Navy Shuler has passed for so far.
Navy would throw for 500 against Rville. Let's not compare Rabun Gap to Christ School.

After everybody has played a few pre-conferance games how do you feel it plays out?

Here's my opinion
1) Murphy...not as good offensively but tough defense...Big or little for playoffs?
2) Swain...much improved and playing good..doubt they can beat Murphy.
3) Robbinsville..can outscore most but weak defense will spell trouble against better teams.
4) Hayesville...Injuries have hurt ...but probably couldn't have got in top 3 anyhow.
5) Andrews... might beat Hayesville if they play well but this is about the best they can hope for.
6) Cherokee...not much talent left on the rez...beat Rosman to stay out of the cellar.
7) Rosman...not very good and more than likely finishes at the bottom.
1. Murphy
2. Swain
3. Robbinsville
4. Hayesville
5. Andrews
6. Cherokee
7. Rosman

This pains me to say, but Murphy will shut down our rushing attack and Swain will manage to hinder it enough to win. Our defense is porous. BK, you may be right that we won't see the passing offenses like we saw these non-conference games, but I promise you that the coaching staffs at Swain and Murphy are smart enough to watch the film and see how to spread our defense out too thin. On the flip side, we also haven't seen the defense we are getting ready to see. We're in trouble guys.

Something's amiss..we basically have the same defense this year as we had last year with more experience(with the exception of 3 players)..we have very talented people but we always seem so confused..

We lost 5 good seniors on defense.
Orr
AJ
Lovin
Phillips
Wilkinson
Also Rabb didnt play this year. Thats 6 we had to replace on D.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
We lost 5 good seniors on defense.
Orr
AJ
Lovin
Phillips
Wilkinson
Also Rabb didnt play this year. Thats 6 we had to replace on D.
Phillips at safety is the big hit for this year's team. With him, pass coverage would be so much better. I think the pieces are on this team to fix the D, but the coaching staff has just got to put the right players in the right place. The non-conference schedule is almost over. We are at the point where we are going to have to stick with what we are going with, but so far I don't think what we have stuck with is going to be good enough to get this team to its potential. With our offense, we can win State. With this defense, we could go out in 2nd round.

Things obviously can change by the time these teams play each other wouldn't be surprised if Murphy offense improves and they beat everyone, guess that depends on if it's a talent issue or younger players who have talent and could improve with experience.
But as it stands now I'll go with Swian - Murphy- Robbinsville - Hayesville - Andrews - Cherokee- Rosman
If Swain @ home can beat Murphy looks like Swain and Robbinsville offences are pretty equal even with Robbinsville's impressive rushing numbers against Rabun , Rabun doesn't look like they have much a D ether after they beat a homeschool team the last 3 games have allowed an average of 45 points per game, but Swain with a better D would win in a close game. Then I don't see Robbinsville winning @ Murphy.

All these armchair QB’s.....Maybe y’all should go down Monday and tell the coaches what needs to be done....

All these armchair QB’s.....Maybe y’all should go down Monday and tell the coaches what needs to be done....
You know what .... there is not a soul in this world that is above hearing criticism. You take a public position, you are subject to public scrutiny. Dee and his staff have done a fine job over the years, there is no doubt about it. That doesn't mean that everything is 100% hunky dory this season. People criticize our President, our Governor, our County Commissioners, our Sheriff, our teachers, our police officers.... there is a common thread - public position, public scrutiny. Live with it or stew over it .... just the way it is. All of that said, I don't recall that anyone was particularly throwing off on the coaching staff. So Noir Puss, look at the points and yards we have given up and tell me it is unfair to question our defense.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
You know what .... there is not a soul in this world that is above hearing criticism. You take a public position, you are subject to public scrutiny. Dee and his staff have done a fine job over the years, there is no doubt about it. That doesn't mean that everything is 100% hunky dory this season. People criticize our President, our Governor, our County Commissioners, our Sheriff, our teachers, our police officers.... there is a common thread - public position, public scrutiny. Live with it or stew over it .... just the way it is. All of that said, I don't recall that anyone was particularly throwing off on the coaching staff. So Noir Puss, look at the points and yards we have given up and tell me it is unfair to question our defense.

Great point. This is why message boards exist.

Reactions: KnightyKnight63
Of course (from a former coach’s perspective) you have almost no idea what you’re talking about.
Maybe, maybe not. What I have learned over time is that dissent will often lead to someone looking at things a different way or considering a perspective that they typically wouldn't have. It's why a majority in politics which controls each branch if so dangerous.

Maybe, maybe not. What I have learned over time is that dissent will often lead to someone looking at things a different way or considering a perspective that they typically wouldn't have. It's why a majority in politics which controls each branch if so dangerous.

Again, your general point is sound. But trust me there’s a molecular science being explored in every coaches’ meeting (including closely-evaluated player capability, a surprisingly deep understanding of adolescent psychology, consideration of team dynamics, schematic and technical intricacies, logistics/feasibility of any alteration or implementation, recollection of similar successes and failures in the past, ...and gut-hunches based on years of collective experience doing all of the above) that, if you haven’t been there, you just don’t understand.

So they’ve already considered your dissenting perspective long ago, and on a much more profound level.

Again, your general point is sound. But trust me there’s a molecular science being explored in every coaches’ meeting (including closely-evaluated player capability, a surprisingly deep understanding of adolescent psychology, consideration of team dynamics, schematic and technical intricacies, logistics/feasibility of any alteration or implementation, recollection of similar successes and failures in the past, ...and gut-hunches based on years of collective experience doing all of the above) that, if you haven’t been there, you just don’t understand.

So they’ve already considered your dissenting perspective long ago, and on a much more profound level.

Lol

So what if no one gives Robbinsville a chance to win a championship because of their defense ( or lack of )it sure is fun to watch and the kids had a great time. Folks that’s what it’s all about !!! Does Robbinsville stand a chance to win the SMC and a state championship? No one, not one single person can honestly answer that question until November and December. Go Knights

Did anyone see a thread on the 3A about the next realignment and the proposal to add a 5A conference ? One proposal takes Swain out of the SMC makes them 2A and puts them in one with Smokey MTN , Brevard, Hendersonville, Polk, East Rutherford, and Chase.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Did anyone see a thread on the 3A about the next realignment and the proposal to add a 5A conference ? One proposal takes Swain out of the SMC makes them 2A and puts them in one with Smokey MTN , Brevard, Hendersonville, Polk, East Rutherford, and Chase.

I did see that. It looks like it was drafted on something like a 12.5/25/25/25/12.5 split and Swain would be 2A under that. It is interesting but he’s clear that it’s his proposal, not necessarily the state’s.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
that’s the Simmons guy which is what I’m hearing; 0-525/550 I’ve heard has been talked about for 1A; IMO I hope we (Bears) get our old league back (NW); heck w/ playing Forsyth County schools; there’s enough of them for their own league

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
I did see that. It looks like it was drafted on something like a 12.5/25/25/25/12.5 split and Swain would be 2A under that. It is interesting but he’s clear that it’s his proposal, not necessarily the state’s.
Yeah according to some of the others the thread the NCHSAA is looking into the 5A conference wanting to get rid of as many split conferences as possible. So guess he was giving a mock up of how a 5A could work. But like you I just thought it was interesting and was wondering how SMC folks would feel about it if Swain left the conference. In his scenario WHC Polk leaves and they add Draughn and Patton , Avery moves to 2A and Mitchell would be the only 1A left making it one of the few split conferences left.

1 Murphy - Best defense in the conf. Enough O to win.
2 Swain- Much improved over last couple years
3 R'ville - No defense at all, good O but won't be able to score at will on Murphy or Swain
4 - 5 Andrews Hayesville - Could go either way
6-7 Cherokee Rosman - Could go either way

Murphy, Robbinsville, Swain
It’s up for grabs !! 1,2,3

Andrews, Cherokee, Hayesville, Rosman
It’s up for grabs !! 4,5,6,7

I might be wrong but I see no separation in these 2 groups

I would group Cherokee and Rosman in the 6 and 7 group for sure
It’s getting close to conference play so we will see. Injuries to any 7 of our conference teams could change everything. Robbinsville seems to be in the best shape as far as numbers and backups. Good luck to all teams

Which is dumber?
Not noticing 3 huge oaks or thinking the game is at The Big Oaks.
Lmao

Reactions: Gps62
Which is dumber?
Not noticing 3 huge oaks or thinking the game is at The Big Oaks.
Lmao
He/ She might not know what a oak looks like and may not have access to a schedule or be able to read....go light on his/her apparent slackness between the ears.

I feel like Swain is starting to separate themselves from the rest of the conference. After their showing at the Panther Pit on friday they've got to be the front runners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT