ADVERTISEMENT

SMAC picks Wk 2

Lion Attack

Aug 15, 2010
Hunter Huss @ Burns: This is a "pick em" game, in my opinion, hard to call this one, I will go with the Dawgs at home 24-21, Burns.

Cherryville @ Chase: Trojans over Ironmen. 42-21 Chase

Shelby @ ACR:
The Rockets scoring only 6 points in a loss to West Forsyth doesn't bode well for them versus a high powered Shelby team. 34-14 Shelby

RS @ Stuart Cramer: 28-21 Hilltoppers

Ashbrook @ Crest:
Crest rebounds this week, 21-7 Chargers.

Draughn @ Freedom: 35-21 Patriots

East Gaston @ KM: the Mountaineers in a blowout, 45-7 KM

North Gaston @ East Rutherford: 31-14 Cavs

East Burke @ Patton:
Patton wins. 31-21 Patton

:

Last edited:
That Ac team scares me personally.
They are hugh up front, and with a loss and at home it could be a trap game

That Ac team scares me personally.
They are hugh up front, and with a loss and at home it could be a trap game
Hahaha. You're joking SF1 right? AC will be over matched and Shelby's defense will shut down everything. Blowout coming.

not too sure bout a blowout but ac still tryin to figure out the qb position shelby should be favored though count on acr putting up a fight though we dont get blown out much

Hunter Huss @ Burns: This is a "pick em" game, in my opinion, hard to call this one, I will go with the Dawgs at home 24-21, Burns.

Cherryville @ Chase: Trojans over Ironmen. 42-21 Chase

Shelby @ ACR:
The Rockets scoring only 6 points in a loss to West Forsyth doesn't bode well for them versus a high powered Shelby team. 34-14 Shelby

RS @ Stuart Cramer: 28-21 Hilltoppers

Ashbrook @ Crest:
Crest rebounds this week, 21-7 Chargers.

Draughn @ Freedom: 35-21 Patriots

East Gaston @ KM: the Mountaineers in a blowout, 45-7 KM

North Gaston @ East Rutherford: 31-14 Cavs

East Burke @ Patton:
Patton wins. 31-21 Patton

:

Hunter Huss @ Burns:
Huss is a tremendously improved team with a lot of returning starters. EL struggles with them are no fluke. Burns with struggle with the Huskies athleticism. Huss 24-14.

Cherryville @ Chase: Chase by 14 plus.

Shelby @ ACR: I believe ACR will play better this week. Shelby in a tight one 24-21.

RS @ Stuart Cramer: Stuart Cramer 27-21.

Ashbrook @ Crest:
Crest 20-7 over the Brook.

Draughn @ Freedom: Freedom 24-14.

East Gaston @ KM: Mountaineers by as many as they want in this one.

North Gaston @ East Rutherford: Cavs 24-14 over NG.

East Burke @ Patton:
Patton 20-14 over EB.

Reactions: Lion Attack
GDG, i know we have a great Defense this year, best ive seen so far in years,
Maybe since 86 team.
But i hate these kinda games, we always in past give up alot to downhill runners and powerful lines,
Im not downing our club, just hate this kinda game, also hope nobody gets banged up
I do belive we win,,REMEMBER SPEED KILLS
And we are fast again..

Hunter Huss @ Burns: Huss is a tremendously improved team with a lot of returning starters. EL struggles with them are no fluke. Burns with struggle with the Huskies athleticism. Huss 24-14.

Cherryville @ Chase: Chase by 14 plus.

Shelby @ ACR: I believe ACR will play better this week. Shelby in a tight one 24-21.

RS @ Stuart Cramer: Stuart Cramer 27-21.

Ashbrook @ Crest:
Crest 20-7 over the Brook.

Draughn @ Freedom: Freedom 24-14.

East Gaston @ KM: Mountaineers by as many as they want in this one.

North Gaston @ East Rutherford: Cavs 24-14 over NG.

East Burke @ Patton:
Patton 20-14 over EB.
Burns is a much improved team also. We also have many starters back from last year's team that beat Huss and should have beat them much worse than we did . We are a better coaches team as well with coach Devine and coach cogdell . Plus having coach Pack back is a big plus for Burns as well. We have our players in the right place now , Hill at RB instead of the slot for example. If people think this is the same Burns as the last 2 years you will be in for a rude awakening. This Burns defense will be nasty before this year is over .

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Burns is a much improved team also. We also have many starters back from last year's team that beat Huss and should have beat them much worse than we did . We are a better coaches team as well with coach Devine and coach cogdell . Plus having coach Pack back is a big plus for Burns as well. We have our players in the right place now , Hill at RB instead of the slot for example. If people think this is the same Burns as the last 2 years you will be in for a rude awakening. This Burns defense will be nasty before this year is over .
I agree with the above statement. I think people look at the roster and think this is the same team we had the last two years. We are not naive enough to think were the best in the state off of beating a team that we had to use as a fill in but last year we had problems with teams that were struggling. Even the Q made us look bad at times. Hill is one to look out for. He made some amazing plays after contact. Our depth is much better due to higher numbers. The thing I think we need to improve on is the passing game. We cannot drop the ball and have to make great throws. Things like that are expected early in the year. Defensively I think we are good up front and not bad outside but we need to contain the outside as well. I saw a few guys get sucked inside the box. DB's were alert most of the night but had a few hiccups. We will know more about Burns this Friday. Burns by 14.

i agree wirh u shelbyfan speed kills we have a lot of speed as well just havent found our footing yet good luck to u guys friday nite i think we will play much better this week hoping for an injury free hard fought game

Burns over Huss by 2 scores

Chase over Cherryville by a lot

Shelby over ACR by a lot

RS squeaks by SC

Crest over Ashbrook by 2 scores

Freedom over Draughn by a good bit

KM over EG by 1,000,000

ER kills NOGA

Patton edges EB

GDG, i know we have a great Defense this year, best ive seen so far in years,
Maybe since 86 team.
But i hate these kinda games, we always in past give up alot to downhill runners and powerful lines,
Im not downing our club, just hate this kinda game, also hope nobody gets banged up
I do belive we win,,REMEMBER SPEED KILLS
And we are fast again..
Don't forget 98 and 07 defenses. They carried us to the State Championship games.

exited for the Burns game, got 2 teams that are looking to prove their worth Friday night. people outside would say its just Huss but I have been hearing good things about them and they have some very good athletes over there. Coming off our 2 bad seasons, we know we cannot overlook anybody. I will say close game but Dogs squeek it out at home!

Shelby by 21
Crest by 17
ER by 21
SC by 7
KM by too much
Freedom by 21
Patton by 14
Chase by 21

Agree with LA on all pics. With burns / huss we basically have the same two teams as last year. I like the emergence of titus toms ....he caught a nice deep ball for a Td and looked good running the ball. His speed can help the Dogs . Huss has two good backs so we must stop the run as east did last week .

Last edited:
If we can force Huss to throw we will be ok. The QB likes to lob it up and pressure can force turnovers in that situation. We have to win the turnover battle. We will know a lot more about this team Friday night. So far I like what I see.

If we can force Huss to throw we will be ok. The QB likes to lob it up and pressure can force turnovers in that situation. We have to win the turnover battle. We will know a lot more about this team Friday night. So far I like what I see.
I agree oldschool bulldog. Lol

I understand Burns fans being excited about the change in the direction of their program. After seeing both teams I have to go with Huss still. Huss can shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with penalties but they are going to be a tough out for everyone this year. Times change.
Also many on here do not really understand what's happening with KM right now. They aren't saying much down that way but the Mountaineers have a boatload of young talent in there program right now and coming through there program in the near future. Barring any unforeseen circumstances they will contend in 3A for the next 6-7 years. Mark it down. It's no accident that their jv's and middle school won titles. There are more talented troops for Lloyd and company coming behind this wave.

Also many on here do not really understand what's happening with KM right now. They aren't saying much down that way but the Mountaineers have a boatload of young talent in there program right now and coming through there program in the near future. Barring any unforeseen circumstances they will contend in 3A for the next 6-7 years. Mark it down. It's no accident that their jv's and middle school won titles. There are more talented troops for Lloyd and company coming behind this wave.

Middle School and JV outcomes don't always determine success, Shelby played several JV eligible players on the varsity last year, as did the other schools in the county. Big Dax and Xavier Brooks went straight to the varsity as freshmen, that's what some fail to take into consideration. Don't get me wrong, KM will be good, heck, we've heard, "it's their year" for several years in a row now, it seems.

Take Ashbrook for instance, they should run Gaston County, if you're basing it on JV and middle school production,

Last edited:
Reactions: seadog28
KM definitely has the talent over there, its whether the coaching staff can piece it together, keep the kids on the team, and putting them in situations to be successful. I dont see them beating Shelby but can easily be runner up in the conference

Reactions: shutdownD24
I understand Burns fans being excited about the change in the direction of their program. After seeing both teams I have to go with Huss still. Huss can shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with penalties but they are going to be a tough out for everyone this year. Times change.
Understand your points ....huss is coming off a tough physical loss to east and burns playing basically their first game of the season. Last years game was one of the best - we held the lead most of the game....huss comes back to take the lead and we win on a last second td pass. I hope this years game is not nearly as close .

looking forward to this game, 2 teams trying to make a statement for the season. Ive heard Huss has some ball players and know this wont be easy for either team. We are much improved as well and hope we can come away w a Win and no injuries for either team. Im most thankful we dont have to go to Huss and listen to the PA guy this year! :)

In all seriousness. Huss played a traditionally good E. Lincoln team down to the wire last week. That worries me a little. I'm sure they are wanting a little payback after losing a nail biter to us last year at their place. They may have a few more better players than us, but I like our coaching staff better. That will give us the edge.

Middle School and JV outcomes don't always determine success, Shelby played several JV eligible players on the varsity last year, as did the other schools in the county. Big Dax and Xavier Brooks went straight to the varsity as freshmen, that's what some fail to take into consideration. Don't get me wrong, KM will be good, heck, we've heard, "it's their year" for several years in a row now, it seems.

Take Ashbrook for instance, they should run Gaston County, if you're basing it on JV and middle school production,
I understand your points but I am not using middle school and jv for my reasoning. The youths leagues that feed the high school programs in Cleveland county are been great predictors of success if you look at the history. Crest and Shelby year in and out were benefiting the most from this. KM for years only had pop warner feeding them. Pop warner is great but it leaves many kids out because of weight limits. Crest had great youth teams feeding their programs and they benefitted tremendously. Same thing with the Rock Hill high schools and Independence when they were great. Youth programs benefited them greatly. I can name more. The youth programs in KM now that play with teams from, Rock Hill, Spartrnburg, Statesville, and Charlotte are churning out really good talent and exposing more kids to the game before they reach Middle school. KM have begin benefitting from this.
Ashbrook is all together another story...
Sorry for the long post lol.

In all seriousness. Huss played a traditionally good E. Lincoln team down to the wire last week. That worries me a little. I'm sure they are wanting a little payback after losing a nail biter to us last year at their place. They may have a few more better players than us, but I like our coaching staff better. That will give us the edge.
KM definitely has the talent over there, its whether the coaching staff can piece it together, keep the kids on the team, and putting them in situations to be successful. I dont see them beating Shelby but can easily be runner up in the conference
I agree 100% with you.

Understand your points ....huss is coming off a tough physical loss to east and burns playing basically their first game of the season. Last years game was one of the best - we held the lead most of the game....huss comes back to take the lead and we win on a last second td pass. I hope this years game is not nearly as close .

I actually hope it's just as close. That was a thriller last year.

Wow what a game at burns. Dogs hold on 31-26. As we all predicted it could have gone either way. Cam barbee throws a bomb to bj hopper and hurts his ankle on that play ..... Backup comes in and gets hurt on next series . Spencer devine then comes and plays well and we hold on....and big field goal by 9th grader zack benfield .These are the kind of wins that can define a program. Go Dogs !

Not to be "Johnny Rain Cloud" here, and not to put down Huss at all, but this isn't a "program defining" win. It's Hunter Huss. Not Crest, not Shelby, not anyone who is even a .500 team on a consistent basis. They threw it with ease on us. We've got to sure up that pass D for sure. What I am happy with though, is the energy and excitement back in the stadium. The kids played with passion and were disciplined throughout. That's a good step in the right direction. Huss has some real good athletes that can break a long one any given time. We need to take a step forward next week against Central Cabarrus. Good win for us and for the most part injury free.

Big win against the best 0-2 team around here. Huss had some good players but at times Burns made it too easy. We need to work on the pass D for sure. We let a few slip by us too many times. Both teams were wore out but it was pretty hot out there. Offensively Hill ran hard and he just doesn't quit. We didn't throw it well tonight but when we did it was big TDs. We are going in the right direction but what I like to see is coachable mistakes. Every mistake was coachable. They are learning and won a hard fought game. Burns is 2-0 and that Mad Dog Pride is back!! It doesn't get easier next week on the road but keep learning and build off of it.

Not to be "Johnny Rain Cloud" here, and not to put down Huss at all, but this isn't a "program defining" win. It's Hunter Huss. Not Crest, not Shelby, not anyone who is even a .500 team on a consistent basis. They threw it with ease on us. We've got to sure up that pass D for sure. What I am happy with though, is the energy and excitement back in the stadium. The kids played with passion and were disciplined throughout. That's a good step in the right direction. Huss has some real good athletes that can break a long one any given time. We need to take a step forward next week against Central Cabarrus. Good win for us and for the most part injury free.
Agree. Can define a season rather ... maybe maybe not. We had a big win last year down there and tanked . I dont see that this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT