CS-Davidson 96, Murphy 63
WSPA 88, Mitchell 37

GIRLS
Cherokee 71, Union Acad 25
Robbinsville 62, East Surry 61
HDHS 59, CS-Davidson 39
South Davidson 61, Swain 46

Reactions: mbdfan
Last update I had was Bishop 26 Hiwassee Dam 10, after one, that was from Bishop Twitter feed, I know last when a local team played there internet connection was not Good, Bishop usually does a good job tweeting their scores

SMC girls look strong, Mount Airy/Atkins probably the only two teams in the west capable of beating Cherokee or Murphy, shame those two had to be in the same section.

SMC Boys:

Swain 86 - East Surry 81

Cherokee 80 - Union Academy 67

Rosman 101 - Chatham Charter 82

Hayesville 66 - East Montgomery 60

Mountain Island Charter 83 - Robbinsville 46

CS-Davidson 96 - Murphy 63

North Stanly 80 - Andrews 51

SMC Girls :

Cherokee 71 - Union Academy 25

Murphy 82 - North Moore 53

Robbinsville 62 - East Surry 61

West Montgomery 58 - Hayesville 55

South Davidson 61 - Swain 46

Atkins 53 - Andrews 38

Four first-round winners is much better than I expected...definitely didn't see more teams advancing from the boys' side of the SMC than the girls'. I can see Cherokee and Swain possibly going one more round each but would be shocked if an SMC boys team made regionals.

On the girls side, I think Murphy and Cherokee could have been a regional final, so kind of disappointing that they are on a collision course for Round 3. I also think HDHS has a fighting chance of making regionals, but they will have to put a lot of miles on the bus to get there.

Last edited:
Well to be fair, the SMC girls teams that did lose made strong showings against much higher ranked teams. The SMC boys teams that lost got absolutely crushed. With a better draw the SMC girls absolutely advance more than three teams to the 2nd round. Andrews, Swain and Hayesville were all capable 2nd round teams with the right draw.

I think Cherokee and Murphy girls cruise into their 3rd round matchup. On the boys side the only team I expect to win in the 2nd round is Cherokee.. Swain definitely has a shot though, their matchup with Albemarle is a tossup.

True. After reading some NW posters talk about how Atkins would demolish Andrews, it was nice to see the Wildcats play them tight until late, and it was good to see Hayesville give West Montgomery all they wanted (which is what has me optimistic about HD in Round 2).

Overall, Hayesville boys overcoming a 33-point night from a big time athlete (App State football commit Courtney McKinney) to beat a 4-loss team after a 4+ hour bus ride was probably the most impressive thing of the night for the SMC. Thought Robbinsville would have a better showing with how they played late in the year, but the rest of the results were about what I figured.

Reactions: mbdfan
Yes, Hayesville boys win was definitely the most surprising result of the night in the SMC, though it really shouldn't be as they have the top coach in the conference.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
True. After reading some NW posters talk about how Atkins would demolish Andrews, it was nice to see the Wildcats play them tight until late, and it was good to see Hayesville give West Montgomery all they wanted (which is what has me optimistic about HD in Round 2).

Overall, Hayesville boys overcoming a 33-point night from a big time athlete (App State football commit Courtney McKinney) to beat a 4-loss team after a 4+ hour bus ride was probably the most impressive thing of the night for the SMC. Thought Robbinsville would have a better showing with how they played late in the year, but the rest of the results were about what I figured.
Lady Wildcats not only played good but could have beaten Atkins.

1st Qtr 10-10
2nd 23-19 Atkins
3rd. 36-29
Final. 53-38

We led 16 to 10 and got into a little foul trouble. Atkins went into a stall and run the clock down at the 2:45 mark of the first half and took a 4 point lead. We were within 3 early in 3 3rd and Atkins made a run. With a 10 point lead in the 4th and 5:00 minutes left Atkins again stalled the ball and forced us to go to man defense and we just couldn't match their athleticism. Murphy & Cherokee can beat Atkins. Atkins does not have a deep bench for a school of 900 kids. I was told at the game by a school official this is their last year in 1A. I thought why are they 1A anyway. Lol. Proud of the Wildcats. I think Swain and Hayesville played strong too against 2 other top 10 teams. Good luck to Cherokee & Murphy

Reactions: Coony Cat
Lady Wildcats not only played good but could have beaten Atkins.

1st Qtr 10-10
2nd 23-19 Atkins
3rd. 36-29
Final. 53-38

We led 16 to 10 and got into a little foul trouble. Atkins went into a stall and run the clock down at the 2:45 mark of the first half and took a 4 point lead. We were within 3 early in 3 3rd and Atkins made a run. With a 10 point lead in the 4th and 5:00 minutes left Atkins again stalled the ball and forced us to go to man defense and we just couldn't match their athleticism. Murphy & Cherokee can beat Atkins. Atkins does not have a deep bench for a school of 900 kids. I was told at the game by a school official this is their last year in 1A. I thought why are they 1A anyway. Lol. Proud of the Wildcats. I think Swain and Hayesville played strong too against 2 other top 10 teams. Good luck to Cherokee & Murphy
Good job to wildcats and best of luck to their seniors...tough group of young ladies

Here are four 1A scores from WNC last night. This a joke and the NCHSAA needs to be held accountable for it!

Hiwassee Dam - 55
Bishop McGuiness - 81

Winston Salem Prep - 88
Mitchell - 37

Community School of Davidson - 96
Murphy - 63

Mtn Island Charter - 83
Robbinsville - 46

What do all these teams opponents have in common. It a complete hack job!

Also, big kudos to Deland Thomas from Rosman for scoring 43 in the Tigers' win over Chatham Charter. That's the most I can remember an SMC player scoring in years, and in a playoff game to boot...

cherokee boys played solid against a very athletic and tall union academy.. nice win for them now we get to make the drive halfway across the state to west montgomery.

cherokee boys played solid against a very athletic and tall union academy.. nice win for them now we get to make the drive halfway across the state to west montgomery.
Tough trip with no easy way to get there. Good luck to the Braves

Here are four 1A scores from WNC last night. This a joke and the NCHSAA needs to be held accountable for it!

Hiwassee Dam - 55
Bishop McGuiness - 81

Winston Salem Prep - 88
Mitchell - 37

Community School of Davidson - 96
Murphy - 63

Mtn Island Charter - 83
Robbinsville - 46

What do all these teams opponents have in common. It a complete hack job!

Graystone girls beat Cherryville 65-15

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT