ADVERTISEMENT

Round 3: Burns vs Salisbury

Man good to see local newspapers still doing that. Local sports coverage, and local newspapers in general are going the way of the dinosaur.

they kind of over rated Shelby but *shrug*

Last week’s second-round playoff game in Lawndale, which is about 10 miles north of Shelby, was completed with a running clock.

If you’re wondering why that’s a big deal, well … the opponent was Shelby. No one running-clocks Shelby, but Burns smashed the Golden Lions 42-0, beating them for the second time in three weeks. Anyone who beats Shelby 42-0 is a scary opponent.

Actually, the

whole 2A West bracket is scary now that it’s down to eight teams.

Neighbors Bunker Hill and Maiden, separated by about 10 miles, will square off. Both are 11-1.

Chase is seeded eighth but is undefeated and is expected to give No. 1 seed Reidsville a fight.

East Surry is undefeated and second-seeded but is considered an underdog against lightning-fast Monroe.

Then there’s sixth-seeded Salisbury and third-seeded Burns, both 11-1. Neither has lost to a 2A squad.

Burns has played the tougher schedule because Burns is in Cleveland County where football is king. The four Cleveland County programs are a who’s who of North Carolina football — Shelby, Crest, Kings Mountain and Burns. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Salisbury Post does do a good job especially Mike London...

I remember after we beat them a few years ago in the title game some dude named Shaw did an article and it was just plain awful..

I remember posting a link, so I went back and found it... read this....even the first line is just bad

Stats such as penalty yards per game. That stat is the number one stat that tells how good a coaching staff is. Its the same at every level. You can not win championships when you are not a disciplined team. When you get to the this part of the playoffs it has a major impact on the game. According to digitalscout.com Burns averages 9 penalties a game for an average of 92.3 yards a game. That is one of the worst in the whole 2A

Doesnt constitute who is "better coached" if you going based off of that stat alone then thats plain stupid. Burns has had back ups in a lot in 2nd halves this season, those penalties could come from JV players, as well as an aggressive front 4 trying to get off the ball which is something DCs can live with if its not 3rd and short. Could be a number of things...

Doesnt constitute who is "better coached" if you going based off of that stat alone then thats plain stupid. Burns has had back ups in a lot in 2nd halves this season, those penalties could come from JV players, as well as an aggressive front 4 trying to get off the ball which is something DCs can live with if its not 3rd and short. Could be a number of things...
If you are talking about personal foul penalties and unsportsmanlike penalties, then I can see that coaches could be judged on that. But most of our penalties have been holding. And a lot of that is due to the fact that we have several players that can reverse the field quickly, causing the blocking players to hold a little. Also we've had several on punt returns.

The boys have had a good week of practice. No mention from any of them about last week's game or what's possibly ahead. Solely focused on Salisbury. Cant' wait until tomorrow.

I think Burns wins this game. I also think that Burns and Monroe are the best 2A teams in the west and possibly the state. I think those two are followed by Maiden and then Reidsville. No really talks about Monroe that much but they are really good and have a play making four year varsity starter at quarterback.
Dead on bro. That QB is fast and a great playmaker, plus they have speed everywhere, but not much depth. Burns appears to be the more physical team of the two with great senior leadership and a big dose of size, strength, and speed. Burns LBs and DBs are real and the backbone of the team.

Something I was thinking about earlier today, Burns hasn't trailed in a game since September 9th, Week 4 against Wataga. Over 2 months. Will be interesting to see how they respond if/when they get down as we get deeper in the playoffs.

I Don’t think that Salisbury understands the level of football talent they will face tonight. Burns has a solid program on both sides of the ball. Burns wins this game by 10+ points

While I think Burns does win by 10+. I think that statement is a little much, this is a program that has won a state championship and some thought they could win it last year.

While I think Burns does win by 10+. I think that statement is a little much, this is a program that has won a state championship and some thought they could win it last year.
We weren't ready to win it last year. Too inexperienced to win a big game at Hendersonville. While we all talk about the refs that game, I'm still not sure we beat them. I think it would have been much closer though. We let the bad breaks snowball into a very uninspired performance. I believe that experience will help this year's team work through any bad calls, bad breaks, etc the rest of this playoff run. The state title we won was almost 30 years ago, that has no bearing on our program now. The kids on that team has already had kids that's graduated at Burns. It's been long enough, and we've been close several times. Hopefully this team can figure it out and bring another one back to "The Dale."

We weren't ready to win it last year. Too inexperienced to win a big game at Hendersonville. While we all talk about the refs that game, I'm still not sure we beat them. I think it would have been much closer though. We let the bad breaks snowball into a very uninspired performance. I believe that experience will help this year's team work through any bad calls, bad breaks, etc the rest of this playoff run. The state title we won was almost 30 years ago, that has no bearing on our program now. The kids on that team has already had kids that's graduated at Burns. It's been long enough, and we've been close several times. Hopefully this team can figure it out and bring another one back to "The Dale."
I think he was referring to Salisbury lol

However yes, it's been long enough, it's time for Burns to get another Championship. This team definitely has the talent to do it this year. Will it happen? We'll see.

Oh and when did "The Dale" thing start? First time I've seen that was today 😂😂

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I think he was referring to Salisbury lol

However yes, it's been long enough, it's time for Burns to get another Championship. This team definitely has the talent to do it this year. Will it happen? We'll see.

Oh and when did "The Dale" thing start? First time I've seen that was today 😂😂
I think someone took a quick video of one of our players after the Shelby game and he referred to our home as "The Dale."

I feel like the dogs are focused one round at a time and that the game is another shot at some redemption. I know the coaches are preparing them to go 1-0 because that’s all that matters. Just have to line them up and hit them hard Friday night. Going to be a cold one.
P
KM is the real deal. Barring injuries, I see Cleveland County bringing trophies home in 2A and 3A. It could happen.
Pulling for the DOGS tonite GIT-ER-DONE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT