ADVERTISEMENT

Round 3: Burns vs Salisbury

from the Charlotte Observer:

JyMikaah Wells, Salisbury: in a 48-13 win over Pine Lake Prep, Wells ran 25 times for 172 yards and five touchdowns. He now has 1,918 yards rushing for the season and 5,360 for his career. His career yardage ranks third in Rowan County history. He set a new school single-season rushing mark last week, breaking a 12-year-old record of 1,780 set by Romar Morris. His 34 touchdowns this season breaks a 10-year-old school record of 33 set by Justin Ruffin

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article268668507.html#storylink=cpy

I feel like the dogs are focused one round at a time and that the game is another shot at some redemption. I know the coaches are preparing them to go 1-0 because that’s all that matters. Just have to line them up and hit them hard Friday night. Going to be a cold one.

JyMikaah Wells, Salisbury: in a 48-13 win over Pine Lake Prep, Wells ran 25 times for 172 yards and five touchdowns. He now has 1,918 yards rushing for the season and 5,360 for his career. His career yardage ranks third in Rowan County history. He set a new school single-season rushing mark last week, breaking a 12-year-old record of 1,780 set by Romar Morris. His 34 touchdowns this season breaks a 10-year-old school record of 33 set by Justin Ruffin

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article268668507.html#storylink=cpy
he is a monster

Burns absolutely has some athletic kids across the board. However depth is a problem. Lot of guys having to play both ways but i guess thats typical of 2A programs etc. Those kids do play hard for 60 minutes. Salisbury may not have had a strong schedule but outside of Burns non conference, they havent either. Salisbury will be just as athletic and have won a state title in the last 5 years, they are respected and should be a good ball game.

Burns absolutely has some athletic kids across the board. However depth is a problem. Lot of guys having to play both ways but i guess thats typical of 2A programs etc. Those kids do play hard for 60 minutes. Salisbury may not have had a strong schedule but outside of Burns non conference, they havent either. Salisbury will be just as athletic and have won a state title in the last 5 years, they are respected and should be a good ball game.
Depth has really only hurt us in 1 game this year and that was the KM debacle. But I'm thinking that's an issue for most any team that has to play KM this year.

Call me crazy but I feel better about this game than I did last week having to play Shelby again. Not saying it'll be a blowout but Burns should win this one.

Reactions: Maiden Creek

Wells was on that 2020 team I believe. he was a load then.

In regards to this being a trap game I just don’t see it. The Bulldog team I saw last week was the most motivated Burns team I’ve seen in years. You better believe they remember 2 years ago too. That alone is motivation for that very talented senior core as well as some of the juniors. This is not like the N Lincoln win a few years ago where the emotions were high and then go into Shelby. This team is coming off of total domination 2 out of 3 weeks against a very successful program in Shelby. I think it’s beyond time to take this team serious. One note that isn’t mentioned. The Burns OL has improved tremendously since I watched them in the Jamboree and KM game. Good luck to all the County teams. What’s going on over at Crest should have peoples attention as well. That is a force in the making.

In regards to this being a trap game I just don’t see it. The Bulldog team I saw last week was the most motivated Burns team I’ve seen in years. You better believe they remember 2 years ago too. That alone is motivation for that very talented senior core as well as some of the juniors. This is not like the N Lincoln win a few years ago where the emotions were high and then go into Shelby. This team is coming off of total domination 2 out of 3 weeks against a very successful program in Shelby. I think it’s beyond time to take this team serious. One note that isn’t mentioned. The Burns OL has improved tremendously since I watched them in the Jamboree and KM game. Good luck to all the County teams. What’s going on over at Crest should have peoples attention as well. That is a force in the making.
Has anyone not taken Burns serious?

Depth has really only hurt us in 1 game this year and that was the KM debacle. But I'm thinking that's an issue for most any team that has to play KM this year.

Call me crazy but I feel better about this game than I did last week having to play Shelby again. Not saying it'll be a blowout but Burns should win this one.
You call the LOST to KM a DEBACLE, I call it a old fashioned BUTT WHOPPING.

A few of the Reidsville posters are taking no one seriously. They are already claiming Western and State finals. One even mentioned Chase preparing them for the run dominant Eastern teams. Beating Morehead, McMicheal, Madison, and PG the last four weeks has them feeling cocky. If they were to meet Burns eventually, I welcome any bets, and I’m giving points.

Last edited:
A few of the Reidsville posters are taking no one seriously. They are already claiming Western and State finals. One even mentioned Chase preparing them for the run dominant Eastern teams. Beating Morehead, McMicheal, Madison, and PG has them feeling cocky. If they are to meet Burns eventually, I welcome any bets, and I’m giving points.
Yeah...I love being overlooked. Don't worry about Maiden at all, hell, don't even practice that week.

Burns OL is definitely the unit on the team that has improved tremendously! What I don’t think people have mentioned much either is this coaching staff. New OC, new DC and one more new one that I believe is coaching the o-line. They have came In and seem to have created great working relationship with Coach Devine and the coaches that were still there. I think this has helped take some things off other coaches plates that was doing way more then expected. Through the year it has shown with the improvements and progression this team has made even though they was good week one.

We got our butts handed to us at kings mountain, down a couple players or not, they whooped us up and down the field. When you look at the whole body of work though this team has gotten better each week and that’s what good coaching staffs do.

I don’t expect Salisbury to come in and be taken lightly but I do expect burns to win this one. Probably be a 35-14 type game in my opinion. Dogs defense is just on another level, and I don’t think people realize it because of this cupcake conference we play in.

Burns OL is definitely the unit on the team that has improved tremendously! What I don’t think people have mentioned much either is this coaching staff. New OC, new DC and one more new one that I believe is coaching the o-line. They have came In and seem to have created great working relationship with Coach Devine and the coaches that were still there. I think this has helped take some things off other coaches plates that was doing way more then expected. Through the year it has shown with the improvements and progression this team has made even though they was good week one.

We got our butts handed to us at kings mountain, down a couple players or not, they whooped us up and down the field. When you look at the whole body of work though this team has gotten better each week and that’s what good coaching staffs do.

I don’t expect Salisbury to come in and be taken lightly but I do expect burns to win this one. Probably be a 35-14 type game in my opinion. Dogs defense is just on another level, and I don’t think people realize it because of this cupcake conference we play in.
Excellent post. Diamont, the new OC has done a tremendous job. What an amazing hire by Devine. If something is working, he doesn't change it. He puts the players in the best spot to succeed. I've heard he works tirelessly on film and game prep too. It's been a breath of fresh air to watch him work. I hope he stays around for the long haul.

And yes the defense has been outstanding. To be honest, the defense played KM very well. The score was only 7-0 at the half. Offensively, we couldn't block the KM front and had short possessions. Ultimately wearing down our defense and putting more points on the board. I think if we played them again, it would be a closer game. But KM is the better team this year and I really hope they pull it out this time.

Absolutely! If anything Burns fans have been more modest with the week by week approach more than arrogance. This may shock you but there are other places people post opinions and yes Reidsville and a few other fan bases have talked about walking all over Chase, Maiden and Burns. I’m Cleveland County so you can defend Maiden on that one. I actually have Maiden giving whoever they play next hell. I see them beating BH and the next week will be an all out brawl whether it be Chase or Reidsville.

A few of the Reidsville posters are taking no one seriously. They are already claiming Western and State finals. One even mentioned Chase preparing them for the run dominant Eastern teams. Beating Morehead, McMicheal, Madison, and PG the last four weeks has them feeling cocky. If they were to meet Burns eventually, I welcome any bets, and I’m giving points.
You understood where I was going with it. Nobody at Burns cared about those Polls all year. Most of them are behind a desk with a calculator and rush home every day to drink White Claws.

Salisbury is loaded with exceptional athletes. I guess Burns has those superman athletes that nobody else in NC has. Hope the Hornets have some Kryptonite Friday, sounds like they may need it.
I want everyone to take note of who says Salisbury has no chance. I don't think any Burns poster has talked as if Burns will crush Salisbury. Most of the posters giving that assessment our not Burns fans, but simply high school football fans. I think it will be a fight, as it should be in a 3rd round game. I'm looking forward to it.

I want everyone to take note of who says Salisbury has no chance. I don't think any Burns poster has talked as if Burns will crush Salisbury. Most of the posters giving that assessment our not Burns fans, but simply high school football fans. I think it will be a fight, as it should be in a 3rd round game. I'm looking forward to it.
We played Salisbury last year...a revenge game for us after the spring league whooping they laid on us. Other than 1 first half score...we dominated them. They seemed flat, don't know if they were hung up on last year or not...but they had nothing going. We gave them an owed whooping right back. I don't know how much better they are than last year, but anything can happen.

Salisbury has something to prove after an early exit last year, who better to prove it to than Burns. Burns will no doubt be riding the high that was the Shelby domination last week...can't get caught on "Sunday morning coming down".

We all know how dominate Shelby was last year, they weren't this year...so where does that leave the rest of us?

One game at a time. Everyone left can contend and play their best game on any given night. Burns has momentum, Salisbury has momentum. Who's wave is higher?

May the better team win.

Now don't go getting consumed with Reidsville. You done broke me from being consumed with Shelby. Heck I am honestly beginning to feel sorry for ya'll. Just think if we could have added Highland Tech, Thomas Jefferson and Bessemer City in the mix of teams we played, we would really have our confidence up.

I bet ain't nobody on Reidsville's team feeling cocky. Ain't no coaches feeling cocky. I know where the most cocky county for HS football in NC is and it ain't Rockingham county. New moniker CCC. There aren't enough crows in NC to serve all the people who say dumb comments on these threads. (Even me). Some things are said to elicit a response. Sometimes it works. If ain't nobody talking about your team anymore it must be for a reason. Please forgive my brethren, they probably don't mean it.

We don't know what is going to happen Friday night. The closer that game gets the lower the cocky factor. We know we aren't playing Thomas Jefferson, Highland Tech or Bessemer City. After the Chase game we may both be wishing we could play that last one again. Last four weeks
doesn't matter and last year surely doesn't matter !

Last edited:
See my point Grizzly? No respect!
He was saying nobody in the west can compete with Reidsville and E Surry. Naturally Burns has to focus on Salisbury and Maiden has to focus on BH. The good thing is you and I don’t play. Me personally I am hoping we have 3 teams from Cleveland County playing ball next week too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT