ADVERTISEMENT

Round 3: Burns @ North Lincoln

Yes I agree. All the yipping and yapping. The three brothers couldn’t be touched...so on and so forth. Mr. Darius Ramsey and Mr. Travond Ross changed that real quick. I personally think this is a “trap” game for Burns. Not by any means am I saying that NL hasn’t earned their ranking etc but to say I feel like the burns team may think after winning last week that this week will be a lesser game. That’s definitely not the case.
No way this will be a "lesser" game.. Absolutely NL will be better and stronger than Hibriten... However I don't think NL will be as strong as the best Burns has faced this year with Shelby, Crest & KM.. (And I think seeing the option of Hibriten last week helps)... Burns will be the best NL has faced this year and it's not even close.. That's not to say Burns wins because of that, but if NL over looks Burns in anyway, they are in for a shock..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldog_012
Two teams that are very talented and very hungry! Unfortunately only one will survive. I’d imagine both teams leave it on the field. Burns Destroyed Hibriten at line. Obviously that played a big factor in Pryor’s numbers... along with 42 totes. North won’t be so easy to push around. Without a doubt Burns will be the best we played all year.. but I expect North to play their best game to date.
I can’t wait!

A season with Thanksgiving Day practice is a good year! Does Burns practice Thursday too?

Last edited:
Reactions: NLHS35
No way this will be a "lesser" game.. Absolutely NL will be better and stronger than Hibriten... However I don't think NL will be as strong as the best Burns has faced this year with Shelby, Crest & KM.. (And I think seeing the option of Hibriten last week helps)... Burns will be the best NL has faced this year and it's not even close.. That's not to say Burns wins because of that, but if NL over looks Burns in anyway, they are in for a shock..
So many north L folks see Burns as the underdog and that is fine with us. Burns is viewed as the underdog often. We are used to it- we thrive on proving others wrong. I can also assure you that if north is fortunate enough to beat us, they will not beat Shelby if it comes down to that combination. Shelby is simply extra good this year. If anybody beats them- Shelby will have to help them. Which is possible, just not probable. Oh- and I think our number 1 will play more this week and he will make a difference carrying the ball. He is a strong runner- carried the ball on Hibriten and almost scored. I don’t know why coach don’t use him more to carry the ball- he made a difference in the Crest game.

So many north L folks see Burns as the underdog and that is fine with us. Burns is viewed as the underdog often. We are used to it- we thrive on proving others wrong. I can also assure you that if north is fortunate enough to beat us, they will not beat Shelby if it comes down to that combination. Shelby is simply extra good this year. If anybody beats them- Shelby will have to help them. Which is possible, just not probable. Oh- and I think our number 1 will play more this week and he will make a difference carrying the ball. He is a strong runner- carried the ball on Hibriten and almost scored. I don’t know why coach don’t use him more to carry the ball- he made a difference in the Crest game.

Maybe he didn't want to tire him out? Alot of you all believe in running the same person over and over excessively. It's bad in the long run.(pun intended)

I doubt that either team is over looking the other in this game. I also don't see Burns as an underdog against NL. Burns had no doubt played a tougher schedule and was ranked higher than NL going into the playoffs. IMO these are two evenly matched teams.

I'm expecting a close game. NL won't be able to shut Pryor down but they need to slow him down some which I think they will do. The Burns defense also is not going to be able to shut down NL's offense but they need to slow it down some which I think they will do. The game may be decided by a turn over or a big Special Teams play.

This game may be the best match up across the whole state this Friday. Can't wait to see it.

Reactions: Bulldog_012
I’m sure Pryor is as advertised from these posts BUT the best back on the field Friday night may be a Sophomore!!

That’s right!

Willians has 50 less carries than Pryor which makes his numbers not quite as good. But Pryor averages 10.9/carry with 22 rushing TD’s while Williams averages 8.4 with 20 rushing TD’s. Just saying...the sophomore will hold his own Friday!

Reactions: NLHS35
Ty Williams.. that’s a name 2AA football will know very well in a season or two.
Simmons ratings has not even a full point difference between Burns and North in their power rank. Strength of schedule is the only significant difference. Out of 114 2a teams in the state north’s score is the 30 something most difficult while Burns’ is 10. I guess these may be adjusted again by Friday but looks to be an even match which can mean a defensive struggle.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I doubt that either team is over looking the other in this game. I also don't see Burns as an underdog against NL. Burns had no doubt played a tougher schedule and was ranked higher than NL going into the playoffs. IMO these are two evenly matched teams.

I'm expecting a close game. NL won't be able to shut Pryor down but they need to slow him down some which I think they will do. The Burns defense also is not going to be able to shut down NL's offense but they need to slow it down some which I think they will do. The game may be decided by a turn over or a big Special Teams play.

This game may be the best match up across the whole state this Friday. Can't wait to see it.

Good point, this game could be determined by special teams

I agree; Th Williams is good but is not even in the same vicinity as Pryor and I haven't seen Pryor in person. Ive known him since middle school. His arrival has been much anticipated in the Cleveland County area. Two totally different styles of running. Williams is good as a power hard nosed runner. Pryor will make you miss every time. You have to slow him down enough to get help. Williams will be the best back in Lincoln County next year and by his senior year will be a beast, possibly at Pryor status in two years. I'm a Lincoln County faithful but when it comes to Pryor he will make a difference in a game. If North slows him down it will be a good game.

Now to toot NL horn. I would not be surprised to see NL show something they havent shown this year. They have the athletes and experience to practice it for one week and execute like theyve been doing it all year. No one has even mentioned the fact that in my opinion Ty Williams isn't even thier best back. I would have put a pay check on it at the first of the year that Jake Soorous would have been the premier back this year and if Bazzle would have wanted him to be; you would have been talking about him. He is also that good but when other sports and D1 commitments and scholarships come in to play things change (Brady and Soorous). But when you have the athletes to spread the load and it works then Bazzle has done a wonderful job at it. I would have banked on Brady having well over 1000 yards receiving this year. Like I said this is the round when surprises happen. And in my opinion both Burns and NL are capable of surprisi g one another.

No need to do that. The power will return to LHS. Until then I’ll enjoy playoff football like always. I’ll be there Friday. My guess is 35-28. Not even sure which team I’d pick. Got nothing against Burns. Can’t wait to see Pryor in person.
Just bustn your chops a tad....I know you guys will bounce back and sooner rather than later with that great hire....very storied program....pryor will be fun to watch that I guarante .

Coach Pack are you on here ? What's your take on burns vs NL? You coached kids on both teams.

I can’t speak for him...but a few weeks ago Pack was on a local radio show and he said North was much tougher in his opinion than Burns was. His team (Newton Conover) played both this year. Of course teams change and momentum changes and his opinion might have changed by now too. That’s just what I heard the week after his team played North.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I hope this game lives up to the hype. It's all about match ups, and I think they match up well. My concern would be the dawgs D being on the field to long after a quick score and North grinding on them for long scoring drives and then you need that 1 stop in the 4th quarter and the tank is empty. Burns plays with a lot of heart though.

I can’t speak for him...but a few weeks ago Pack was on a local radio show and he said North was much tougher in his opinion than Burns was. His team (Newton Conover) played both this year. Of course teams change and momentum changes and his opinion might have changed by now too. That’s just what I heard the week after his team played North.
Thanks for the info NL. Very interesting.....my question is does NL have an answer for Pryor? What kind of team speed do yall have ?

Thanks for the info NL. Very interesting.....my question is does NL have an answer for Pryor? What kind of team speed do yall have ?
Nobody in 2A has an answer for Pryor... I think the question Friday is, can Burns stop the option? They've had issues with it this year (South Point & RS)... But they handled it well against Hibriten after the 1st qtr... I don't think Burns will stop NL, but they will outscore them

Our answer will be play as a team and contain. Hopefully 11 kids flying to the ball before he gets going. A quick athletic line will not get owned like Hibriten’s line. We have plenty of speed too... outside backers safety and even inside backers. We don’t have to shut him out to win.

NL doesn’t have a ton of team speed. But they are very disciplined, well coached, and they execute. Very physical too. And they have enough speed to be dangerous. Definitely not a slow team. Off the top of my head, 2, 4 and 23 are all very fast.

While I agree with all the talk about team speed it’s not the only thing that wins game. In my opinion speed covers up mistakes because it allows you to make up ground quicker...whether it’s your mistake or one your team mate has made. This game is going to come down to who makes the least mistakes, plays smart and sticks to their assignments being disciplined and who controls the line of scrimmage. I don’t think that North has seen a team like Burns but I do think their coaching staff is going to have them prepared and ready. As @SHSLionfan said I think the BIGGEST factor is this game is that Burns D gets off the field and is able to catch their breathe. I think this will be a high scoring affair, unless one team has some TO trouble.

While I agree with all the talk about team speed it’s not the only thing that wins game. In my opinion speed covers up mistakes because it allows you to make up ground quicker...whether it’s your mistake or one your team mate has made. This game is going to come down to who makes the least mistakes, plays smart and sticks to their assignments being disciplined and who controls the line of scrimmage. I don’t think that North has seen a team like Burns but I do think their coaching staff is going to have them prepared and ready. As @SHSLionfan said I think the BIGGEST factor is this game is that Burns D gets off the field and is able to catch their breathe. I think this will be a high scoring affair, unless one team has some TO trouble.
Been thinking- if it comes down to a field goal, we have a great kicker in Benefield. For once in dog history, we have a solid kicker. We have had others -but I can think of sooo many past games we would have won if we had just had a consistent kicker.

Been thinking- if it comes down to a field goal, we have a great kicker in Benefield. For once in dog history, we have a solid kicker. We have had others -but I can think of sooo many past games we would have won if we had just had a consistent kicker.

Also- appreciate all the Lion And Charger positive thoughts and feedback. Y’all are like Farmers insurance- “ y’all know a thing or two cause you’ve seen a thing or two”

He's hit from 40 pretty easily this year when he had the chance... Hasn't missed a FG and only 2 missed extra points... He can hit from 45 I know... Maybe the Panthers should sign him lol

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Seen it too, a 37 yard fg last Friday night that had another 10-15 on it.
Yea but that kick if it had been really from 2 or 3 more yards would have angled outside the left upright... Did have another 10 yards at least distance wise... Just was tailing away on him

I can't wait to see Simmons projection for this game...

First projection I've seen so far having Burns win was from the Shelby Star/Gaston Gazette article.. Has Burns 34-31

Massy rating has the game at north 34 Burns 28
North has a 61% chance to win
And that may absolutely be accurate... But I started this thread saying I don't think NL has played anywhere near the strength of schedule Burns has played, and I think that makes up for the 6 point difference.... Burns by 2

And that may absolutely be accurate... But I started this thread saying I don't think NL has played anywhere near the strength of schedule Burns has played, and I think that makes up for the 6 point difference.... Burns by 2
I tend to agree with you but I think Burns wins by a little more but can’t wait to find out. Me and my boys have planned to make the trip up haven’t been there sense youth football days and that’s been along time ago LoL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT