ADVERTISEMENT

Round 3: Burns @ North Lincoln

notanyonesfan

Oct 1, 2016
Might as well get this one started... This should be a fantastic game! Honestly probably the best 3rd round game in the West, maybe the state...

I don't know much about NL other than you guys run the option well & are strong defensively... I always hate playing option teams

As for Burns, no secret what they will try to do... Pryor, Pryor, Pryor... Hey when it works, stick with it... To the tune of 42 carries, 413 yards & 3 TDs against Hibriten... You think you have him wrapped up and before you know it, he's 10 yards down field...

What I think will decide this one may very well be the level of competition played previously.. That's an advantage for Burns.. I'm not sure NL has played any teams anywhere near what Burns will bring... Their 1 loss was to a 7-5 Parkwood team... All of NLs wins came against teams that any Cleveland County school would beat by 14+, while Burns played at least 3 teams I think would beat NL (Shelby, Crest & Kings Mountain)

Should be a fun one next week! I don't think NL has ever been in the 3rd round & Burns hasn't been there since 2011.. Can't wait! Let's hear it!

Right now I think Burns by 3

Last edited:
Oh & by the way... There's nothing better than post Thanksgiving High School football! Its a week away but I'm already pumped for this one!

NL has been 3rd round twice. First time in 07’ against Mount Plesant , a game they was cheated on from what many fans say so a fourth round slipped through fingers. They made it JUST last year for the 2nd time in school history just to lose to Shelby and now this year against yet another Cleveland Co team that I believe they will be better prepared for and they have a coaching staff with great minds and play calling that has to resemble that of Watauga in some ways.

If BIG T Price can get off blocks and play his best game and Offense can move the ball on Burns D then this is gonna be a GAME. Get ready boys!!!

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I think we all need to have our popcorn ready for Friday night! I think we’re all excited and rightfully so! Hoping for an injury free, clean game! Let’s go Bulldogs, the Knights are on the clock.

Was wondering where to go Friday nite and North Lincoln it is. This will be the game to see. I will be pulling for the Dawgs. As a matter of fact, I will be pulling for Kings Mtn and Shelby as well. I hate Crest came up short but 3 out of 4 Cleveland County schools in 3rd round ain’t too shabby. I’m not even from Cleveland County but being right next door in Forest City, I am thankful to be near some of the best
dam high school football in the state. Again, congrats to the Chase Trojans on an awesome year. By the way, I just learned last night that East Rutherford head coach is stepping down after 11 years. I’m very anxious to see who fills that spot. Anyway, where should I eat near North Lincoln before the game?

I’d be lying if I said Pryor doesn’t worry me.. we have speed and athleticism on D so hopefully we can make some stops. I’d say this game will be decided by 10 or less. Both teams will put up some points.

I’d be lying if I said Pryor doesn’t worry me.. we have speed and athleticism on D so hopefully we can make some stops. I’d say this game will be decided by 10 or less. Both teams will put up some points.
Hibriten had speed and athleticism too. I think it helps us a lot that we just saw an option team in Hibriten, and now we have it again in NL. Albeit, NL seems as though they run it a little better.

Burns coming in hungry with purpose
c254371a91756e2432d1509f6664b82e.gif

L8gd.gif

North Lincoln coming in hungry and focused
7955a32e1710ffa3ff1a512c9d389670.jpg

Romans.jpg

Most points NL has given up this year is 29 in the first game if the year... Most points Burns has given up this year is 35 last night to Hibriten (28 in the regular season).. But I think this game could very well be like the 1st quarter of Burns & Hibriten.. Score matching score... Could very well be a 49-42 type game

This will be the game in Western part of the state to go to. Im going for sure.
NL has size, speed and are a well coached and a disciplined squad.
Burns has talent all over the field as well and with Pryor they are dangerous.
IMO Hibriten had the most problem with linebackers. D line is big and strong but the linebackers aren't that strong as a unit. That hurts with a strong runner like Pryor.
This one will be a real good game. I think it will come down to mistakes and turnovers.

This will be the game in Western part of the state to go to. Im going for sure.
NL has size, speed and are a well coached and a disciplined squad.
Burns has talent all over the field as well and with Pryor they are dangerous.
IMO Hibriten had the most problem with linebackers. D line is big and strong but the linebackers aren't that strong as a unit. That hurts with a strong runner like Pryor.
This one will be a real good game. I think it will come down to mistakes and turnovers.

Nice assessment. Burns has a strong defensive front, will be fun to see them against that strong NL run game.
Strength vs Strength

2016 Hibriten scrimmaged South Point. Beat them down in the scrimmage.

2016 regional Final SP never let Hibriten make it past the 50 yard line and beat us something like 26-0.
Scrimmages in August mean absolutely nothing

I called this when the bracket came out...Burns should not be the 6 seed!! Man, I wish they was in the top half of the bracket as the 4 as it’s gonna to be very hard to beat Burns and Shelby! Although I do feel these two, plus Shelby of course, were the ones to battle it out...sucks that the Golden Lions dodged both of us!
Maybe WL shocks the world?!?!

I called this when the bracket came out...Burns should not be the 6 seed!! Man, I wish they was in the top half of the bracket as the 4 as it’s gonna to be very hard to beat Burns and Shelby! Although I do feel these two, plus Shelby of course, were the ones to battle it out...sucks that the Golden Lions dodged both of us!
Maybe WL shocks the world?!?!
Dodge? Strong word. Golden Lions never have and never will dodge any challenge. It all about who's next. Maybe WL can shock the world. They will have an opportunity come Friday.

I'm a little bummed. I can't make it this Friday. I'll be out of town. I will be watching on the internet though. 4 weeks ago I wasn't worried about NL at all. But now that the time has come to play them, I'm nervous.

I'm a little bummed. I can't make it this Friday. I'll be out of town. I will be watching on the internet though. 4 weeks ago I wasn't worried about NL at all. But now that the time has come to play them, I'm nervous.
Absolutely BBB... This will be the best team that Burns has seen since Shelby... However it's probably only the 3rd or 4th best team Burns has seen overall (Kings Mountain & Crest)... Burns will be the best team NL has seen all year... That may well be the difference

I worried more about Hibriten than I did NL. They do run the option so well, and if our D can stick to their ASSIGNMENTS and not try to be a hero and play as a unit like they have all year then I feel like it’s going to be in our hands

I worried more about Hibriten than I did NL. They do run the option so well, and if our D can stick to their ASSIGNMENTS and not try to be a hero and play as a unit like they have all year then I feel like it’s going to be in our hands
Burns definitely has an advantage from seeing the option against Hibriten & South Point.... They won't be surprised by it... Will that translate on the field Friday night? We'll see

Reactions: Bulldog_012
Was wondering where to go Friday nite and North Lincoln it is. This will be the game to see. I will be pulling for the Dawgs. As a matter of fact, I will be pulling for Kings Mtn and Shelby as well. I hate Crest came up short but 3 out of 4 Cleveland County schools in 3rd round ain’t too shabby. I’m not even from Cleveland County but being right next door in Forest City, I am thankful to be near some of the best
dam high school football in the state. Again, congrats to the Chase Trojans on an awesome year. By the way, I just learned last night that East Rutherford head coach is stepping down after 11 years. I’m very anxious to see who fills that spot. Anyway, where should I eat near North Lincoln before the game?
Hey 72, if you want, pick a spot to eat & my dad & I will meet you there before the game! In the playoffs, we usually try to find a place close to the stadium to eat around 5 so we can get to the stadium around 6 or so...

Last edited:
Most points NL has given up this year is 29 in the first game if the year... Most points Burns has given up this year is 35 last night to Hibriten (28 in the regular season).. But I think this game could very well be like the 1st quarter of Burns & Hibriten.. Score matching score... Could very well be a 49-42 type game

The loss to Parkwood to open the season was definitely NL's worse game. It was on a sloppy field on the road on a Saturday night after NL had made the long trip to Monroe on Friday night and got rained out after a couple of hours and had to return. It was an overtime game in which NL missed 2 FGs and and extra point in regulation.

NL is a much better team now. The triple option offense has improved throughout the season....especially over the past 7 games after QB Landon Beard became 100% healthy. There has been a lot of discussion about the challenge NL will have with Burns' offensive line and slowing down Pryor. That's legit but so is the challenge Burns is going to have slowing down NL's offense.

You need to be worried.What this young man does happens before you know it.I do feel NL will be up for the challenge.

well T Price will be at it pretty hard. He’s good at getting at speedy running backs but not sure if he’s handled one like Pryor yet
Won't say he won't be up to the challenge but I promise you he hasn't seen anyone like Pryor yet.. There's not another RB in this area, maybe not the state, like Pryor

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Is the guy that now coaches N. Lincoln, the coach that used to be at Newton-Conover?? if so....that explains a lot about the turn around of NL's program..........

rambbq, Coach Bazzle played his high school football at East Lincoln in the late 1970’s.
He won the title at Newton-Conover in 2008 against Tarboro and lost out to Reidsville in the 2009 title game.

Ok FWIW. Hobriten only beat Ashe County 36-18. Granted that was early in the season but Ashe County was bad at covering a strong run team. We demolished Ashe County. North lincoln beat us by 10. North Lincoln runs the option better than Hibriten and South Point with more speed than both. Now PRYOR; absolutely the best running back North has seen all year besides ours. Bridges is a different runner; he will just run over you with decent speed but still not close to Pryor with his elusiveness. North answer for Pryor; three kids on defense thats probably as fast but he has to get by Price first in the open field before he can dance. Offence; once again three kids that can run and a QB that hides the ball better than any ive seen this year. There option is at almost at perfection level. Then the X Factor Sam Brady; Virginia commit who may outrun anyone on Burns defense and is 6'4" to boot. He can run the ball and catch the ball. North Lincolns line on both sides are big and strong. Burns is good and I think this game will be close and could go either way. My feelings are Pryor vs. Brady; the two X Factors in the game. Can't quote much on Burns but I know they are good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT