ADVERTISEMENT

Robbinsville vs. Mitchell

wncbowhunter

Dec 21, 2002
Now that the tune up games are in the books it is time to get down to business. I don't know all I should about Robbinsville but I do know their line is nasty and have a staple of great backs that run behind the nasty line. Mitchell will have their hands full with #70 as has everyone.

Robbinsville will have to defend a very balanced offense, similar to those they faced with Cherokee and Murphy, who can run and pass equally well. A big key will be how well Mitchell is able to protect Young to give him time to find his wide outs.

This has the potential to be a very good game between 2 very good teams. This will be Mitchells biggest test since Heritage. Too early for a prediction just yet.

Disclamer: Not saying Mitchell's offense is as good as Cherokee or Murphy just balanced. Even though it is very good.

Go Mountaineers

I hope Robbinsville wins but I think this matchup favors Mitchell. Robbinsville has had trouble against the pass all season and Mitchell plays alot like Murphy . I think Mitchell's dual threat qb will be the difference in this one . The one weak spot in that defense is their cbs. There line , lbs and run d is legit and will hit you as hard as you have been hit all year.

Please plays this on Thursday man I’d love to see this game . I have seen both teams play this year. If Mitchell’s line can handle rville line then mitchell wins. I think mitchell skill players are good wnoigh to pull this out .

Mitchell 21 Robbinsville 17

Reactions: lad0215
Good luck Knights. Love to see either Knights or Braves representing the West. If North Duplin can be successful it would be fun, alot of good history..

Reactions: BK13T-$
Gonna be a classic. Might be Coach Dee Walsh's best coaching job...sounds like this team turned into a monster late...peaked at the right time.... 39-6 at one point vs MIC....if that was a fight they would've stopped it lol....might be the one team in 1A that could matchup with Mitchell up front

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I think a low scoring brawl favors Robbinsville slightly, and a high scoring shootout is greatly in Mitchell's favor. Mitchell will have the best line that Robbinsville has faced, and I don't think the knights line is better than Heritage's(I don't know for sure!). I don't see Ben Robinson bullying his way thru like he has most of the season, but Mitchell's height and speed of the receivers could pose a problem for the knights. Mitchell has struggled at times against a power run offense (heritage and cannon) so that also could be a factor. All in all, 2 teams that don't match up hardly at all, just depends on who capitalizes the most.

Mitchell 33
Robbinsville 20

Not taking a shot or anything, your receivers may be quick, but nowhere close to the speed we saw last night. Don't be fooled by the stats either, MIC had some yards through the air, but I'd say 2/3 of them were after the game was out of reach and our defense softened up. Should be a dandy of a game on BLACK Friday!

Mitchell may have a good line but not the best we've seen this year. Christ School had a good line.

This game should be a dandy....I've seen both teams play twice or more, and I've seen them both play against very good opponents in Cherokee and Mountain Heritage, and here's what I think:

Robbinsville has the ability to impose their will on both sides of the line due to their size and experience, and the Anderson kid has really improved throughout the season, and could potentially be the best RB in the SMC next year IMO...The Black Knights are well coached, and Dee Walsh as knine stated above has done an incredible job with this group of young men...The Black Knight Seniors have bought in, and have played in several close games this year against good opponents, so they will be battle tested, and ready to perform in the 4th quarter if the game is close....Bridges has also really improved as a QB as the season has progressed, and he has developed multiple targets which is a plus....Ian Wiggins is a big RB capable of getting the tough yards, and is also a good defensive player....Special teams are such a big part of the game that a lot of games are decided by the kicking game, and Robbinsville excels in that department, and that could potentially play a big part in this game with the Cold weather of Mitchell County this time of year...

Mitchell has a gem in the backfield in Ben Young who is big, tough and mobile, but what sets Young apart from the other mobile QBs Robbinsville has faced is he is very strong, and has a very accurate arm...He too has multiple targets to throw to....Pitman and Robinson offer two different running styles with similar skills to Anderson and Wiggins of Robbinsville....I have been impressed with the job that Coach Pitman has done at Mitchell County in a relatively short period of time, and believe that he is emerging as one of the best Head Coaches in the area....The Mountaineers defense is not as big up front as Robbinsville, but their team swarms to the football in much the same fashion as Murphy does....Anytime you have a QB with the mobility of Young, it's going to be tough to stop him because he has the size of a LBer....Young is a Senior that has already played in several of these type playoff games, and will be super motivated to atone for what happened the last time that he and his teammates faced a SMC team in the playoffs...

I will be rooting for Robbinsville because they are a member of the SMC, but I think it's going to be very difficult for the Black Knights to stop the Mitchell offensive attack this coming friday because this Mitchell team is hungry after coming so close last year, and they will be in front of the home folks this week and next if they win, and that motivation alone is enough to give them the advantage....

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Robbinsville does struggle against mobile QB. I think Knights had the best team in SMC this year, but the offense struggled in red zone in big games. Also feel as good as #70 he can also hurt the team with stupid penalty's. They need him on the field to win. Mitchell's QB is a beast will be tough to stop. But so is BK running backs. Good luck to both teams.

For Robbinsville to win we need to eat alot of clock, score tds in the redzone, and hold the Mitchell QB under 100 rushing.

Reactions: TigerDen1
I've had a chance to watch robbinsville this year and while they play hard and 70 is a stud, they will not have the fire power come Friday to keep the game within 2 touchdowns IMO.

I agree, the Mitchell qb is one heck of a player and I think this is Mitchell’s year to win it all. The winner of the west will win the state title imo. And as much as I’d love to see Cherokee win, Mitchell appears to be the best until someone beats them.

Is the Anderson kid related to Dusty Anderson (I think) that played in the late 2000's

Maybe.
Dusty was the QB and held the WNC passing record for a decade.

Anderson had a brother that played RB in 09 with Kurt Odom. This younger Anderson kid has s shot at the all time Robbinsville rushing title which is also the SMC all time record.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I wouldn't say Rville hasn't faced a quarterback as strong and all that as Mitchell's. Cherokees Qb benches mid 300s, squats mid 400s and is very accurate with a Football, and can throw it to the moon and back. Don't underestimate that Rville group. They are good no doubt about it.

I don't know anyone in Mitchell County who is underestimating Robbinsville. In fact most everyone I have talked to is very concerned about this week.

I think, not that that accounts for anything, that both of these teams are capable of winning the entire thing this season. In fact any of the 4 remaining teams in the West will be a tough out in Raleigh.

I will say Mitchell 26 Robbinsville 21. Simply because I don't want to pick against Mitchell at home. However, I will not be suprised if Mitchell wins big or Rville wins in a close game or a blowout. So in other words I have no Idea what will happen.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: dmcamp
Mints and Young are very similar. Very good point.

Is young committed to a college?

Im not betting against this Robbinsville team. We took another blow to the team last week. Next man up. Took MIC to the woodshed.
Robbinsville 31-21.

I think this is going to be a battle to the end. Hard nosed slobber knocking fight to the end. I like Mitchell’s program after watching them 2 years ago and they are a Mountain team but I have to pull for the Black Knights.

Ben has gotten looks, but to my knowledge, he has no interest in playing at the next level.
Wow, that is something to hear. But we all have respect a kids choices. Whatever his decision he has definitely left his mark on high school football. Been watching and hearing about him for a long time. Mintz is comparable to Young but when it comes to players Young gets the edge. He has played in the big game and his talent and experience will be tough to stop. There’s no next year for some kids so it’s bring your best or be playing b-ball like the rest.

I have not seen many 1a teams but Mitchell had one of the better teams that RS played this year. Their offense was VERY good at passing the ball. Qb and Wr were on the same page for sure. I'm not implying nothing because I know 0 about Robbinsville but Mitchell is a good team. I guess y'all probley knew that tho :)

Reactions: BK13T-$
You may give the edge to Young in your opinion but I would hands down give it to Mints. Strong, big arm, multiple college offers and is mobile.

You may give the edge to Young in your opinion but I would hands down give it to Mints. Strong, big arm, multiple college offers and is mobile.
I understand. Stand by your guy. But I am sure if Young wanted to play football in college he would have multiple offers too. Mintz picks GW and fits in places for mobile qbs. GW has a mobile QB so he goes to an offense that he can hopefully thrive in if he gets the chance. Mintz does have a big arm but he isn’t very accurate IMO.

I don't know anyone in Mitchell County who is underestimating Robbinsville. In fact most everyone I have talked to is very concerned about this week.

I think, not that that accounts for anything, that both of these teams are capable of winning the entire thing this season. In fact any of the 4 remaining teams in the West will be a tough out in Raleigh.

I will say Mitchell 26 Robbinsville 21. Simply because I don't want to pick against Mitchell at home. However, I will not be suprised if Mitchell wins big or Rville wins in a close game or a blowout. So in other words I have no Idea what will happen.

Go Mountaineers
29 14 mhs at home

I understand. Stand by your guy. But I am sure if Young wanted to play football in college he would have multiple offers too. Mintz picks GW and fits in places for mobile qbs. GW has a mobile QB so he goes to an offense that he can hopefully thrive in if he gets the chance. Mintz does have a big arm but he isn’t very accurate IMO.
lol okkk..You should be a college recruiter. You seem like you have the whole package

lol okkk..You should be a college recruiter. You seem like you have the whole package
I am not taking away anything from the athlete that is Mintz just stating what I seen. And multiple offers does not constitute someones ability over someone else. It is like the whole argument about D-1. There is a difference in playing D-1. There are separate tiers, you have the FBS and FCS. You have conferences like the ACC, SEC and then SOCON and Big South. As some have pointed out on other sites, we use the term D-1 athlete too loosely. There is nothing wrong with playing football at smaller D-1s or D-2, etc. Anytime you play college ball that is a great achievement but most of the time our small town eyes perceive different things. We all know about Pickens and Shuler, the outliers for our conference, and we believe the SMC might produce another big time recruit. It hasn't happened yet but it doesn't diminish what players like Kurt Odom (Campbell) or Kyle Garland (WCU) and various amounts of others have done at smaller schools. Mintz is an athlete and in college you are no longer relied on for the burdens of playing Offense and Defense. You are put into what best fits you at as a player. If Mintz is a QB then I am sure college will make him better at it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he changes positions in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT