ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Setting State Scoring Records?

What is the record?

How the record book has it split up is by number of games played.

13+ games played - 898 by Albemarle in 2001 (16 games)
11-12 games played - 567 by Eastern Randolph in 1999 (11 games)
10 or less - 614 by Maxton in 1975 (10 games)

However, in 2001 Albemarle had 623 points in regular season play (11 games) and 275 points in playoffs. So I don't know how the NCHSAA has it set up.

Last edited:
Easily a function of your schedule....

No dog in this fight but why do Shelby fans downplay everything Reidsville does? It's pretty obvious the difference in schedules but how about a little credit? Mad respect for the Golden Lions but some of your fans smear attitudes toward any other program is annoying. Literally every thread in the 2a board that's not about Shelby has some poster waddle in and try to validate Shelby. We know Shelby is great. Relax.

Reidsville in 2007 scored 770 points in a 16-0 season (led the state in avg. scoring that year with 48.1 per game avg.)...right now in 10 games it's 539 points that's less than Maxton's 614 in 10 games....that said Rams could have easily scored more than they have.....7 of the 10 wins have come with the dreaded running clock.

No dog in this fight but why do Shelby fans downplay everything Reidsville does? It's pretty obvious the difference in schedules but how about a little credit? Mad respect for the Golden Lions but some of your fans smear attitudes toward any other program is annoying. Literally every thread in the 2a board that's not about Shelby has some poster waddle in and try to validate Shelby. We know Shelby is great. Relax.
I don't have a dog in the fight either. Thomasville has played both teams over the years, and hasn't fared that well. I highly respect both. But the resentment doesn't just reside in Shelby. That whole Football Capital of NC thing did more harm than good for Reidsville. The legislature mandated it, and, like most of what they do, it was a few folks opinion. It's the equivalent of any one town in NC calling itself the bbq capital. Both make folks ready to fight. Like bbq, we just need to accept that there are many who can lay a legitimate claim to the title.

How the record book has it split up is by number of games played.

13+ games played - 898 by Albemarle in 2001 (16 games)
11-12 games played - 567 by Eastern Randolph in 1999 (11 games)
10 or less - 614 by Maxton in 1975 (10 games)

However, in 2001 Albemarle had 623 points in regular season play (11 games) and 275 points in playoffs. So I don't know how the NCHSAA has it set up.
I can show you many records in the "official" record book that are incorrect...and many omissions. I wouldn't place too much stock in their version.

I can show you many records in the "official" record book that are incorrect...and many omissions. I wouldn't place too much stock in their version.

I know the NCHSAA isn't always correct. I just figured that would be a place to start. With that being said, I would think Albemarle in 2001 holds the state record with 623 points in regular season play (11 games) and 275 points in playoffs (5 games) for a overall total of 898 points.

I went ahead and looked at 2002 Albemarle and during the regular season they scored 651 (11 games) but only 199 in playoffs (5 games) for a total of 850.

I looked at 2001 because of the NCHSAA record and then looked at 02 because I noticed they seemed to put up a lot of points that year as well. There could be other teams that have scored more or close to them but Reidsville is not close this year.

Reidsville is currently at 539.

Last edited:
I know the NCHSAA isn't always correct. I just figured that would be a place to start. With that being said, I would think Albemarle in 2001 holds the state record with 623 points in regular season play (11 games) and 275 points in playoffs (5 games) for a overall total of 898 points.

I went ahead and looked at 2002 Albemarle and during the regular season they scored 651 (11 games) but only 199 in playoffs (5 games) for a total of 850.

I looked at 2001 because of the NCHSAA record and then looked at 02 because I noticed they seemed to put up a lot of points that year as well. There could be other teams that have scored more or close to them but Reidsville is not close this year.

Thank you footballstar_17. You just illustrated my point very well.

Ocdavis...I wouldn't say Thomasville hasn't fared to well against Reidsville the series record between the two is 13-16 Reidsville.Reidsville dominated us in the beginning we won the middle of the series and they got us pretty good at the end,and Shelby well we have only played them once,I'm pretty certain if we would have hooked up against Shelby in our glory days we would have beatin them as well

Ocdavis...I wouldn't say Thomasville hasn't fared to well against Reidsville the series record between the two is 13-16 Reidsville.Reidsville dominated us in the beginning we won the middle of the series and they got us pretty good at the end,and Shelby well we have only played them once,I'm pretty certain if we would have hooked up against Shelby in our glory days we would have beatin them as well
I played in that Shelby-Thomasville championship game. We were without our state record-setting receiver, who was a huge part of our offense. But certainly on that night, they were the better team. As a side note, that receiver was removed from the team for disciplinary reasons that hapoened outside of school. We might learn a lesson from that. I know I did. Didn't have to be taught twice that no man is bigger than the team.

Reactions: freshdl3
Reidsville posters are like the Richmond County posters....they do everything they can to try and stay relevant. This record could have easily been broken by this year's or last year's Shelby team. Fortunately, but unfortunately, Shelby has class so both this year and last year, the starters have sat out the second half of over half of our games. Beating someone 75-0, 66-0, 63-0....C'mon Man...where is the victory in that?!

Thomasville had a state record setting receiver? Lol
Yep. Set a record in 1968 that stood up for twenty years. Very balanced offense back then, which was unusual for a Cushwa-coached team. One thing you could say about Cush. He could coach any style, depending on the players he had. Ran a wing T back then.

Its called uncontrolled envy and jealousy.

Many times associated with insecure and immature individuals who believe they can elevate themselves or their cause by belittling or trashing others.

Unfortunately, is is considered a terminal condition as there is no known cure.;)

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in the fight either. Thomasville has played both teams over the years, and hasn't fared that well. I highly respect both. But the resentment doesn't just reside in Shelby. That whole Football Capital of NC thing did more harm than good for Reidsville. The legislature mandated it, and, like most of what they do, it was a few folks opinion. It's the equivalent of any one town in NC calling itself the bbq capital. Both make folks ready to fight. Like bbq, we just need to accept that there are many who can lay a legitimate claim to the title.
The legislature didn't "mandate" anything. It simply approved a resolution presented by a Reidsville legislator based on Reidsville having won more NCHSAA football championships than any other school. That is a fact, not a few folks opinion. Claiming to be a bbq capital is a subjective claim that many towns can claim.

And no other school can make a legitimate claim that they have won more state championships.

The legislature didn't "mandate" anything. It simply approved a resolution presented by a Reidsville legislator based on Reidsville having won more NCHSAA football championships than any other school. That is a fact, not a few folks opinion. Claiming to be a bbq capital is a subjective claim that many towns can claim.

And no other school can make a legitimate claim that they have won more state championships.
It was a name of a book before it was a name of a state resolution.

Post of the year.

Reactions: ramking2012
Until another school wins more State titles than Reidsville they are the Football Capital. No matter when the titles were won.

Reactions: 56_4ever
It was a name of a book before it was a name of a state resolution.
The resolution was based on the book written by our own dhag -The Football Capital of North Carolina - The History of Reidsville Football. A best seller for sure.

Your truly even had the opportunity to "proof read and edit for grammar, etc". TGT did a lot of the research as well as a member of the Famous Fantastic Four. What a great service to Reidsville football by Hag.

And the difference between an approved resolution and a mandate is? You're playing semantics.
I have nothing but respect for Reidsville football. But I have equal respect for many other football programs statewide. To think that resolution was anything other than some good old boy legislators sitting around trading favors is naive. And, for what it's worth, New Bern used to be the capital of North Carolina.

And the difference between an approved resolution and a mandate is? You're playing semantics.
I have nothing but respect for Reidsville football. But I have equal respect for many other football programs statewide. To think that resolution was anything other than some good old boy legislators sitting around trading favors is naive. And, for what it's worth, New Bern used to be the capital of North Carolina.
Those good ole boys included the legislator representing Thomasville and the ones representing Shelby. It passed unanimously.

If the posters from Shelby wanted a resolution recognizing Shelby as the Football Dynasty of North Carolina, guess what, it would also probably be passed unanimously. And it would be very much deserved.

Looks like you are plagued by a touch of that envy and jealousy as well maybe??

You might take the time to look up resolution and mandate in the dictionary if you don't know the difference.

Amazing how posters seem to go on threads about Reidsville football and go negative about Reidsville accomplishments. Amazing.

Those good ole boys included the legislator representing Thomasville and the ones representing Shelby. It passed unanimously.

If the posters from Shelby wanted a resolution recognizing Shelby as the Football Dynasty of North Carolina, guess what, it would also probably be passed unanimously. And it would be very much deserved.

You might take the time to look up resolution and mandate in the dictionary if you don't know the difference.

Amazing how posters seem to go on threads about Reidsville football and go negative about Reidsville accomplishments. Amazing.

Only thing that gets me is people act like we have been bad since the last state championship. We haven't had any great teams since then, but have had some good teams that have went deep into the playoffs. Have had two down years, 2010 and 2015, but other than that have went into the 3rd round or later.

I do know the difference. But a unanimous resolution by a state legislature sounds an awful lot like a mandate to me. And I think you proved my point. If a popular local legislator wants something, it's pretty easy to get it done.....unanimously. The legislature passes hundreds of them every session. It's simply a game of quid pro quo.
I have no qualm with Reidsville being considered one of several truly exemplary high school football programs in North Carolina. But I also know the difference between pride and arrogance.

Last edited:
Reidsville posters are like the Richmond County posters....they do everything they can to try and stay relevant. This record could have easily been broken by this year's or last year's Shelby team. Fortunately, but unfortunately, Shelby has class so both this year and last year, the starters have sat out the second half of over half of our games. Beating someone 75-0, 66-0, 63-0....C'mon Man...where is the victory in that?!
I'm sure the Reidsville starters haven't played in many 2nd halfs this season either

I have been to all of these games and I can tell you that the starters sit most of the 2nd half and some of the first. C'mon Man you already knew that.

In the four conference blowouts, Reidsville has scored a total of 42 points in the third quarter and 20 in the fourth quarter. Players third or fourth on the depth chart have gotten into the scoring column. Reidsville took a knee to stop from scoring with the ball on the one-yard line in the first half of one game.
Surely you're not suggesting Reidsville is running up the score to set some kind of record. Repeat what Freshdl3 said " C'mon man"

In the four conference blowouts, Reidsville has scored a total of 42 points in the third quarter and 20 in the fourth quarter. Players third or fourth on the depth chart have gotten into the scoring column. Reidsville took a knee to stop from scoring with the ball on the one-yard line in the first half of one game.
Surely you're not suggesting Reidsville is running up the score to set some kind of record. Repeat what Freshdl3 said " C'mon man"
Exxxxactly.....Reidsville may or may not win the state this year , but regardless this has been impressive. Yes , the conference is weak , but the Rams haven't been beating teams 20-0...they are dominating without really "trying" to dominate. This is not Coach Teague running up the score intentionally by any means....Good luck to all in playoffs

Make that 610 points after 71-0 win over Carrboro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT