ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville and Shelby since 2000

I hate talking about the past. I have always said that the most important championship is your next one. But here goes....

Claimed titles
Rams 19
Lions 16

Recognized Titles
Rams 16
Lions 9

Titles without the ‘modern split’
Rams 10
Lions 3

Titles in even years
Rams 9
Lions 5

Titles in odd years
Rams 7
Lions 4

Titles in leap years
Rams 5
Lions 1

Titles with a Democrat in the White House
Rams 9
Lions 5

Titles with a Republican in the White House
Rams 7
Lions 4

Titles won without helmets
Rams 6
Lions 0

Titles won with helmets
Rams 10
Lions 9

Notes. The helmet numbers are just a guesstimate. Wiki says plastic helmets with facebars emerged in 1940. I do not profess to know when they made it to high school. What is the history of this division 2 title the lions claim in 1984? It is not listed on nchsaa website.

Don’t you guys love how you can skew numbers to make them look favorable to your argument. Example: Joe is batting .240 this year, BUT on a cloudy day facing a left handed pitcher, with men in scoring position and a Dominican playing third base, joe is batting .302. I wonder what possible scenarios exist that 98/72 can come up with that has Shelby with more titles than Reidsville.

I hate talking about the past. I have always said that the most important championship is your next one. But here goes....

Claimed titles
Rams 19
Lions 16

Recognized Titles
Rams 16
Lions 9

Rams 10
Lions 3

Titles in even years
Rams 9
Lions 5

Titles in odd years
Rams 7
Lions 4

Titles in leap years
Rams 5
Lions 1

Rams 9
Lions 5

Rams 7
Lions 4

Rams 6
Lions 0

Titles won with helmets
Rams 10
Lions 9

Notes. The helmet numbers are just a guesstimate. Wiki says plastic helmets with facebars emerged in 1940. I do not profess to know when they made it to high school. What is the history of this division 2 title the lions claim in 1984? It is not listed on nchsaa website.

Don’t you guys love how you can skew numbers to make them look favorable to your argument. Example: Joe is batting .240 this year, BUT on a cloudy day facing a left handed pitcher, with men in scoring position and a Dominican playing third base, joe is batting .302. I wonder what possible scenarios exist that 98/72 can come up with that has Shelby with more titles than Reidsville.

*FACTS

Claimed titles
Rams 19
Lions 16

Recognized Titles
Rams 16
Lions 9

Rams 10
Lions 3

Titles in even years
Rams 9
Lions 5

Titles in odd years
Rams 7
Lions 4

Titles in leap years
Rams 5
Lions 1

Rams 9
Lions 5

Rams 7
Lions 4

Rams 6
Lions 0

Titles won with helmets
Rams 10
Lions 9

Actually thanks for the info I didn't realize that Reidsville had won that many titles. I knew it was a lot but didn't know the exact amount

This topic is boring. What about more discussion on thd game Friday
I deleted the mess I put up earlier because I thought this was another thread.

As for the game Friday I believe Reidsville will be just fine, Yes EM can wear down a team if allowed to run the ball the entire game but I think Reidsville will get a lead which will force them to throw more than they want.

Good luck to all and I will pay better attention before posting next time.

Last edited:
Reidsville does need to be a little more sound vs the run this week East Montgomery I'm guessing runs the ball much better than West Lincoln

Replied to your own thread.....interesting.

30 consecutive year recent absence from championship play.....that takes your name off the table. Kinda like Independence's name is off the table these days....

I quoted not replied.

I quoted my own post, not thread.

I did this as a point of emphasis.

Delete your response and try again.

Claimed titles
Rams 19
Lions 16

Recognized Titles
Rams 16
Lions 9

Rams 10
Lions 3

Titles in even years
Rams 9
Lions 5

Titles in odd years
Rams 7
Lions 4

Titles in leap years
Rams 5
Lions 1

Rams 9
Lions 5

Rams 7
Lions 4

Rams 6
Lions 0

Titles won with helmets
Rams 10
Lions 9

The Division 2 title was the crown given to the winner of the losers bracket in the state playoffs. The two semifinal losers played a consolation game and the winner was deemed the winner of the Division 2 title.

The game was widely known as the Losers Championship and that idiotic idea only lasted a couple of years.

Dang Mule.
You're losing it.
Or you are just making stuff up.
Do you just jump on here and fire away in a Hate Shelby Frenzy?

The Division II playoff was experimental for 4 years 1981-84
Top teams in each conference that did not make the official playoffs for state titles, were given a playoff setup of their own. Remember that only the conference champs usually made the official playoffs. Sometimes some at large teams got in and they say that rotated, but we never understood that part.
Div II was three rounds of playoffs for 3A and 2A with only a West and East champ. 4A had a fourth round where the East played the West.
1A did not participate.
Shelby was runnerup in the West in 1983 and won the West in 1984.
We laugh because these Div II playoffs existed during Reidsville's 31 consecutive recent year absence from even a championship appearance. Reidsville did not appear in a Div II championship either.
If Mule mocks these as the Losers' Championship and Reidsville didn't qualify here either.....
what does that say about their drought.

Dang Mule.
You're losing it.
Or you are just making stuff up.
Do you just jump on here and fire away in a Hate Shelby Frenzy?

The Division II playoff was experimental for 4 years 1981-84
Top teams in each conference that did not make the official playoffs for state titles, were given a playoff setup of their own. Remember that only the conference champs usually made the official playoffs. Sometimes some at large teams got in and they say that rotated, but we never understood that part.
Div II was three rounds of playoffs for 3A and 2A with only a West and East champ. 4A had a fourth round where the East played the West.
1A did not participate.
Shelby was runnerup in the West in 1983 and won the West in 1984.
We laugh because these Div II playoffs existed during Reidsville's 31 consecutive recent year absence from even a championship appearance. Reidsville did not appear in a Div II championship either.
If Mule mocks these as the Losers' Championship and Reidsville didn't qualify here either.....
what does that say about their drought.
Correct. Div 2 Champions were winners of the Losers Bracket.

Guess you continue to overlook the 46 years your Golden Lions choose not to compete state wide and were content being Big Fish in Little Pond.

By the way, if you will address your open letter to Que Tucker, Executive Director of the NCHSAA, I am sure as a Reidsville native and former player for the Reidsville Rams girls basketball team, she will be most interested in your concerns. In fact, I will assure you it will get the consideration it deserves.

Last edited:
She got one.
Never replied.
As a Reidsville alum, which we knew, that did not surprise us.
As a matter of fact....it may explain EVERYTHING.
We thought of that, too.

She got one.
Never replied.
As a Reidsville alum, which we knew, that did not surprise us.
As a matter of fact....it may explain EVERYTHING.
We thought of that, too.
You are disrespecting a very fine and principled lady. Que comes from a very respected family. Her father, Clarence Tucker, was a long time Rockingham County Commissioner and a great Christian gentleman. The Tuckers raised two outstanding daughters.

If you got no response, maybe it speaks of the ridiculous nature of your request. I shall inquire into the matter.

Good luck Friday night.

Mule-
You brought her up and her resume.
We wrote her. She did not respond.
The NCHSAA does not treat the WNCHSAA fairly or accurately regarding Championship history.
She runs the show.
Principles are involved here.
With all due respect, she nor the NCHSAA are above criticism.
Why so sensitive?
No one gets hurt.
Make the change.

You would not find the request ridiculous if the shoe was on the other foot.
Is avoiding hypocrisy a principle?

Mule said-
Guess you continue to overlook the 46 years your Golden Lions choose not to compete state wide and were content being Big Fish in Little Pond.

No Mule, those were the same 46 years that allowed Reidsville to avoid a large chunk of same size 3A quality programs. That contributed immensely to allow Reidsville to build up the majority of their titles.
Had all 3A size public schools competed in the same association, Reidsville may not have won ANY.

Considering Reidsville has never won a unified state title where there was no rival association or subdivided class..

Not sure where you're going with that above statement. Facts are facts, as you say:

There hasn’t been a unified (Open) champion in N.C. schoolboy football since 1928. So nobody has won a unified state title since Wilmington New Hanover got by Statesville 14-9 in the 1928 final.

According to NCHSAA, these were the state championship game classes since 1929:

From 1929-40: Class A and Class B

From 1941 to 1949: Class AA, A and B

From 1950 to 1958: AAA, AA and A

From 1959 to 1971: 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A (with regional championships only in some of those years and some of those classes ... really confusing).

From 1972 to 2001: Four classes 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A

From 2002 to now: Eight Classes 4AA, 4A, 3AA 3A, 2AA 2A, 1AA and 1A

Correct. Div 2 Champions were winners of the Losers Bracket.

By the way, if you will address your open letter to Que Tucker, Executive Director of the NCHSAA, I am sure as a Reidsville native and former player for the Reidsville Rams girls basketball team, she will be most interested in your concerns. In fact, I will assure you it will get the consideration it deserves.
Mule ... to set the record straight, Que Tucker is not a Reidsville alum. She played at Stoneville High and went on to play collegiately at Mars Hill. She coached at Reidsville High (volleyball and basketball) from 1978 to 1988 and left to join Kay Yow's staff at N.C. State.

Last edited:
Why is 72 badgering the Rams? Could it be that he needs something to do after Friday?

TGT-
You forgot one.
See what we mean?

In our original statement you quoted above, "unified" referred to unified statewide within the classifications. Not "open" to all with no classes. That only occurred from 1913 to 1928.
1929 was a transition year with the NCHSAA play going to two classes A and B. So there appears to be fully statewide competition in 1929 as the WNCHSAA was forming and began play in 1930.
From 1930 to 1976, there were two (2) 3A level groups. One in the NCHSAA, and the other was the WNCHSAA. Reidsville won most of its titles during that period. Not competing in the playoffs against as many as 42 similar sized public NC high schools, many with quality football programs, has to be seen as a benefit to the Reidsville program.
This is just an observed fact. It is not meant to disrespect Reidsville's titles as they played what they were given.
Only from 1977 to 2000 was there "unification" of only one title completely statewide in each of the four classes. Reidsville did not win any titles nor appear in a title game from 1971 to 2000. AgaIn, just an observed fact.
From 2001 to present, each class has been subdivided. Reidsville has won 6 titles in this period.
The observed fact is that Reidsville, who leads the state with the most titles, has never won one while competing against ALL of the state's similar sized high schools.

Playoffs have always been divided -- at least since 1929 -- by school size. When first divided in 1929, there were two classes - now there are the crazy eight.
And yes, there have been more than one association for many of those years.

But whatever.- Is it Friday yet? Play ball.

Reidsville and Shelby since August 2017

Shelby 14
Freedom 7

Rockingham County 47
Freedom 29

Reidsville 34
Rockingham County 7

Reidsville +42
First off, congrats on the win tonight, Shout out to my man, @TGT for predicting a win by Shelby on the other board, and shout out to @rambbq, too, for not counting us out.

But, this is why this post was pointless, and you can’t always go by that formula.
Reidsville 34 RC 7
Kings Mountain 53- RC 7

Guess who gave KM their only loss. You already know. Shelby is for real! Cleveland County Football is for real, period. Don’t drink the kool aid on us being so called down. We are held to such a high standard, so are y’all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 72 State Champion
great win for shelby....certainly takes the sting away from 2 weeks ago does it not?? obviously coaches must've made some defensive adjustments going forward from that game.................

great win for shelby....certainly takes the sting away from 2 weeks ago does it not?? obviously coaches must've made some defensive adjustments going forward from that game.................
Yes, yes, yes!!!! It absolutely takes the sting away. I about fell out and died 10 times tonight, such an emotional win. The boys got to lock in, and really stay focus now, emotional let downs happen after these type of games.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
Yes, yes, yes!!!! It absolutely takes the sting away. I about fell out and died 10 times tonight, such an emotional win. The boys got to lock in, and really stay focus now, emotional let downs happen after these type of games.

Its a shame that was a 2nd round game. Me and you talked about whoever one the first game would have a hard time winning the 2nd.

Kinda like yall trying to argue with 35-15......
HAHAHA!!! Awesome post my fellow Raider! Couldn't help but think you need one of these official shirts, inbox me!
2_zpsh7ztpzt2.jpg

Once in a blue moon, you have to kick a grizzly to wake him up. SP did it with y’all and I think EM woke us up tonight!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT