ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville 51, Providence Grove 25

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
Here's the scoring summary:

Providence Grove 0 10 8 7 --25
Reidsville 0 14 22 15--51

R - Al Lee 5 run (Ivar DeJong kick), 11:54 second quarter
PG - Zane Cheek 51 pass from Andrew Canter (Tucker Batten kick), 10:58 second quarter
PG - Batten 32 field goal, 4:21 second quarter
R - Lee 1 run (DeJong kick), 0:22 second quarter
R - Queshyne Flippen 36 pass from Lee (DeJong kick), 9:41 third quarter
R - Dionte Neal 48 interception return (Neal run), 7:53 third quarter
PG - Karson Bowman 1 run (Bowman run), 5:17 third quarter
R - Jeremiah Redd 3 run (DeJong kick), 1:28 third quarter
R - Paul Widerman 22 run (Jaden McCain pass from Neal), 9:44 fourth quarter
R - Neal 16 pass from Lee (DeJong kick), 5:57 fourth quarter
PG - Chase Whitaker 22 pass from Canter (Batten kick), 2:45 fourth quarter

Last edited:
Rams trailed 10-7 early and had to score in the final minute of the half to go to the locker room with a lead. Not a good half for the Rams with a couple of fumbles, three offsides penalties and some missed open receivers. But they bounced back in the second half and pulled away.
Huge plays by freshman Dionte Neal - his 3rd pick-6 of the season and state leading 12th interception. Also caught a TD pass, scored on a two-point conversion run and did a Houdini escape scramble on a two-point conversion and found McCain in the back of the end zone with a great pass.
Lee got it going in the second half and ended with 2 TD passes and 2 TD runs. I'll get his passing yardage later. Balanced running attack again with Widerman and Redd leading the way and Poteat also breaking a big run.
Freshman Harrison made his presence felt on defense, making numerous tackles.

It'a a long standing tradition going back many decades for Reidsville to be totally unable to cover on sides kicks. Many decades.

Western Alamance used to get us the worse. All in all I'd give us a C+. This is the best the running game has looked.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Up next for Reidsville: Chase Trojans.
Rams beat Chase 56-24 in second round last year.

Is McCombs at Chase? He was a dynamic back last season.

Huge defensive stand for the Rams tonight ... leading 14-10 and receiving second-half kickoff, Providence Grove recovers onsides kick but were unable to cash in.

Looks like they've done quite well without him: Closest games were 35-14 vs. Robinson in playoff round 2 and 35-16 vs. Hendersonville at the end of September.
Huge loss for them but they never skipped a beat. Chase's O-Line is the real deal. Huge and fast. They will be able to milk the clock against Reidsville and keep their offense off the field. Very interesting matchup next week.

22 yards on the final TD.
Providence Grove ended with 93 yards passing and 119 rushing ... Reidsville hd 263 passing and 231 rushing. Lee 12 of 17 for 251 yards and 2 TDs.
Flippen 3 receptions for 103 yards; Neal 4 catches for 73 yards, Tamir Johnson 4 catches for 30 yards.
Redd led the rushing with 96 yards on 11 carries, Widerman 7 carries 56 yards.

Providence Grove had 1 penalty for 10 yards, Reidsville had 7 penalties for 63 yards.

Chase QB ran for over 300 yards tonight. He is a difference maker they didn't have last year. Defense is also improved. Robinson D-line is the real deal. Hobbs, the 4-star and the other lineman, the 3-star, are both good as advertised, but Chase o-line did very well against them. Should be a good game next week (on paper).

FROM 247 SPORTS:
Reagan McCranie is a 6-3, 285-pound Offensive Line from Forest City, NC. He has committed to Duke Blue Devils.

Also:
QB Jalen Rudisill is the star player who posted the big numbers ... he's a 6-2, 170-pound senior. Averaging more than 130 yards rushing per game.

Last edited:
tgt...how far was the last td pass for PG??...you left yardage out of summary
That last TD and pass was against the Rams backups. PG had very little success running against the Rams regulars and their passing game was almost non existent. They looked more like a traditional Eastern team from years ago.

Huge loss for them but they never skipped a beat. Chase's O-Line is the real deal. Huge and fast. They will be able to milk the clock against Reidsville and keep their offense off the field. Very interesting matchup next week.
Reidsville has great success against teams that are not balanced on offense. The Chase schedule is rated #88 of 101 2A teams so it will be interesting to see if Chase can just run the ball and keep the Rams lethal offense off the field. Should be a good game.

TGT...anway you can tell us how many 2 point conversions Rams have had and the way they were done?? Neal was involved in most if not all of them................

TGT...anway you can tell us how many 2 point conversions Rams have had and the way they were done?? Neal was involved in most if not all of them................
Rams have made 20 two-pointers: 16 of 22 on pass tries and 4 of 6 on run attempts.

I'm thinking Neal tossed at least 13 of the successful passes. Two-point conversions don't figure into individual passing or receiving stats so it's hard to figure them without looking back at each game. Here's who scored them: Mendoza 5, Neal 3, Flippen 3, McCain 2, Shryock 2 and Cobb, Denny, Harrison, Mansfield and Widerman 1 each.

Rams have made 20 two-pointers: 16 of 22 on pass tries and 4 of 6 on run attempts.

I'm thinking Neal tossed at least 13 of the successful passes. Two-point conversions don't figure into individual passing or receiving stats so it's hard to figure them without looking back at each game. Here's who scored them: Mendoza 5, Neal 3, Flippen 3, McCain 2, Shryock 2 and Cobb, Denny, Harrison, Mansfield and Widerman 1 each.
Daggum…..might as well let Mule get one too.

Reactions: shootsstr8
Reidsville has great success against teams that are not balanced on offense. The Chase schedule is rated #88 of 101 2A teams so it will be interesting to see if Chase can just run the ball and keep the Rams lethal offense off the field. Should be a good game.
Oh they are going to run the ball, and they are going to score points. The question is can their D step up. I expect this to be 48-42 type game.

Oh they are going to run the ball, and they are going to score points. The question is can their D step up. I expect this to be 48-42 type game.
Since the beginning of the 2016 season Reidsville is 94-4. Only once, against eventual 1A State Champion East Surry (55-49 loss), have they given up 42 or more points. I don't see Chase being able to score 42 points against the Ram defense. I do respect their running game and their O-line is really good. I see them maybe putting up 28 points in this game. Reidsville wins 42-28

I said weeks ago 2nd and 3rd round were gonna be interesting for these Rams. Last night they could barely contain little 22 running that up back dive all night. Better hope CHASE doesnt put in a simlar play with their huge OL.

CHASE-Robinson score….eerily similar to the Independence-Robinson score.

Independence is 11-1 and still in the 4a playoffs.

Reidsville - CHASE is a doozy of a game! Can’t wait to see this result.

Reactions: Razzamatazz
I said weeks ago 2nd and 3rd round were gonna be interesting for these Rams. Last night they could barely contain little 22 running that up back dive all night. Better hope CHASE doesnt put in a simlar play with their huge OL.

I do think you have good insight. But also think you’re overly critical sometimes. Rams will have to bring their A game to wi. Going to have to figure out a way to combat that o line

I do think you have good insight. But also think you’re overly critical sometimes. Rams will have to bring their A game to wi. Going to have to figure out a way to combat that o line

Absolutely lol I think negative so when Im surprised it's usually a positive. Rams will need a game plan similar to whatever they used against Mountain Heritage. A few turnovers should help too

Reactions: tarheel fan1
Chase dose have a balanced offense haven’t had to use it much this year also can throw the ball no problem as well so in the end should be a good game

That last TD and pass was against the Rams backups. PG had very little success running against the Rams regulars and their passing game was almost non existent. They looked more like a traditional Eastern team from years ago.
Mule I’m just reading over here on 2A because it was PG and they are like ER’s little brother (they would hate me for that 😂). I know you say they didn’t run on regulars with success but I noticed stat line above says 119 yards rushing. Did they get a lot of those at end of game? Honestly don’t know. Good luck rest of way to your Rams.

Mule I’m just reading over here on 2A because it was PG and they are like ER’s little brother (they would hate me for that 😂). I know you say they didn’t run on regulars with success but I noticed stat line above says 119 yards rushing. Did they get a lot of those at end of game? Honestly don’t know. Good luck rest of way to your Rams.

The cheek twins were the real deal. Never seen anyone chase flippen down. I think Pg did have some success on the 1st string d. They got about 15 earned points on 1st string d. One turnover we had pretty much gave them 3 points.

The cheek twins were the real deal. Never seen anyone chase flippen down. I think Pg did have some success on the 1st string d. They got about 15 earned points on 1st string d. One turnover we had pretty much gave them 3 points.
Thank you. I just wondered how they really did. Have some friends whose sons play.

The last PG scoring drive was 6 plays for 75 yards, ending with 22-yard pass play Canter to Whitaker. There was a 10-yard holding penalty mixed in so there actually more than 75 yards gained on that last drive.

Reactions: thekidd12
PG had 66 yards rushing on the Rams starting defense. I thought they had a really good game plan by running the play clock down to as close to zero as they could before the snap.

Reidsville had only three or four possessions in the first half and one of them was a turnover.

Reactions: thekidd12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT