ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville 14, Northeastern 0 - postgame thread

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
Need a new thread for the post game commentary.

Lionel Long is as determined a 160-pound runner as you will ever see. He finished with 156 yards rushing on a season-high 31 carries. And he was a great decoy to set up the Pinnix TD run.

This was Reidsville's lowest scoring output of the season and maybe several seasons. Credit the Northeastern defensive effort.

And wow Brickhouse has a strong leg ... his 77-yard punt set a state championship game record. Averaged 45.1 on 7 punts despite one shank.

Here are the scoring plays:
Elizabeth City 0 0 0 0 -- 0
Reidsville 7 7 0 -- 14

R -- Lionel Long 1 run (Anthony Franson kick), 1:38 first quarter
R -- Kyle Pinnix 19 run (Franson kick), 1:44 second quarter

Here are some more stats (from NCHSAA):
Total Yards - NE 135, Reidsville 324.
First downs : NE 9, Reidsville 15.

Reidsville QB Pinnix was 8 of 17 for 111 yards ... and was only sacked once (first possession of game) ... Great effort by the Reidsville OL.

Breon Pass had 6 receptions for 99 yards.

NE was only 4 of 14 for 31 yards passing - should have been at least 5 of 14 -- TD pass dropped in end zone. Reidsville also had a dropped pass in the end zone.

Reactions: BigBird12
Good thing is that the core of this team is sophomores and juniors. Hopefully they can get back next year

Reactions: dogs79
Reidsville also has a young group. Pinnix and Pass are juniors and OLB No. 23 Tamir Johnson is a freshman.
Rams started 7 seniors on offense and 5 seniors on defense. Seniors Hooper, Edwards, Long and Colby Johnson started both ways.

We have 2 qtrs left before we find out who the 2A champion is. East Surry is up by 2 scores. Upset alert!
That East Surry passing attack is crazy good. To put up 35 on Tarboro in the first half is amazing against a team that had allowed only 41 total points in the first 15 games. I saw it in person back in September and it looks very similar on TV tonight.

good to see you again as well Shelby Lion....nothing but respect for the Golden Lions from this Reidsville guy.......both fan bases don't realize how lucky they are sometimes......most schools don't get to enjoy the success these 2 have.............

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I don't want to seem unkind after a tough Northeastern loss, but if Eastern teams want to win state championships they have to develop balanced offenses.

When the Rams shut down the NE rushing game, NE had no passing game and the outcome was determined.
Tarboro finding that out also (although it's the turnovers that are killing them).

Reactions: Rammer16
Well everyone had Tarboro in a blowout vs East surry and ES taking them to the shed. With the revamped rams defense I wouldnt believe we would give up 55 again tho lol

Well everyone had Tarboro in a blowout vs East surry and ES taking them to the shed. With the revamped rams defense I wouldnt believe we would give up 55 again tho lol

I suspected this. I never predicted a Tarboro win.

Reidsville scoring only 14 points ... first time a Reidsville team held below 20 since the second round playoff loss to Lincolnton in 2015 (score was 36-6). Northeastern defense was solid.

For the record, Reidsville has gone 324 games in a row without being shut out (best mark in state) and Rams have hit double figures in 64 straight games (third best current streak in state).

For Reidsville to shutout NE... That’s impressive! Congratulations to both teams! Definitely the top 2 in 2A

East Surry scored more points against Tarboro than they did against Reidsville (56 to 55) ... LOL ... incredible passing attack with all the future D1 college players hooking up all over the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rammer16 and dogs79
Need a new thread for the post game commentary.

Lionel Long is as determined a 160-pound runner as you will ever see. He finished with 156 yards rushing on a season-high 31 carries. And he was a great decoy to set up the Pinnix TD run.

This was Reidsville's lowest scoring output of the season and maybe several seasons. Credit the Northeastern defensive effort.

And wow Brickhouse has a strong leg ... his 77-yard punt set a state championship game record. Averaged 45.1 on 7 punts despite one shank.

Here are the scoring plays:
Elizabeth City 0 0 0 0 -- 0
Reidsville 7 7 0 -- 14

R -- Lionel Long 1 run (Anthony Franson kick), 1:38 first quarter
R -- Kyle Pinnix 19 run (Franson kick), 1:44 second quarter
When was the last time Reidsville score only 14 points or less/ I know The Mule knows this instantly

NE never caught a break in the game. Usually you have a few in a game. Reidsville protected the ball. They dropped that one easy interception. They had the dual forward passes on the big play.

but they can get the Virginia wr, get the Florida rb, and whatever else they need....if both teams meet again next year, the Rams will beat you with 11 kids from reidsville.

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
You would think Northeastern defense was the dudley panthers based on how big they are.

I think we had a great offensive plan, but I think we could have gotten them more through the air. But I with that pass rush they had, I understand the ground attack. Long got tayon graves type of load of carries lately, that shows you what coach teagues thinks of him.

NE never caught a break in the game. Usually you have a few in a game. Reidsville protected the ball. They dropped that one easy interception. They had the dual forward passes on the big play.

but they can get the Virginia wr, get the Florida rb, and whatever else they need....if both teams meet again next year, the Rams will beat you with 11 kids from reidsville.

Well we may get a transfer who knows. I expect the transfers from last season will start next year.

Ugh, better make that kid

Well, maybe not exactly "from Reidsville".;);););)

Reactions: 56_4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT