ADVERTISEMENT

Reagan vs Atkins

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
So obviously it wasn't much of a game, actually kind of seems like it got personal by the score a bit...

My question is, why would Atkins walk up on Reagan before the start of the game trying to start something? Don't poke the bear when he's sleeping lol! When a bigger school more talented than yourself walks out, why provoke them?

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
More players more so than more talented. Have seen Reagan not that talented.

More numbers generally means much more chance for talent. And yes, Reagan is more talented than Atkins. Also better coached and pretty much better anything you can name for a football program that is vital to success.

But the point remains... Why try to intimidate a team that is larger and more talented? You'd be better off keeping your mouths shut and hoping they take you lightly.

I get your point about the intimidation thing before the game but football is football. Reagan doesn't scare anyone including Atkins apparently. Hard to call a team better coached in fairness if your argument is they have more numbers which should translate to more chances for talent. I imagine the coaches for Atkins probably could do wonders with the talent and numbers Reagan has too. Unfair assessment on coaching. You can make the argument some coaches lack of coaching is hid by talented kids. Reagan should beat up on Atkins and the like. Again we'll find out how "talented" Reagan is soon enough. Eagle Pride.

I make the assessment based on a few things. First, do the kids improve in an impressive fashion over the course of a year. McGee generally does a good job of that, regardless of talent. He built Reagan football, there is no argument for that. Reagan was worse than Atkins when both got started. But Atkins has stayed the same and also regressed since then. Reagan on the other hand, while not a power is a thorn in some established teams sides and has pulled quite a few upsets against more talented teams over the last few year. That is coaching.

In Forsyth county, where everyone can recruit pop Warner and have the benefit (or detriment) of open enrollment, recruiting is very much a part of coaching lol. It's like minor league for college ball...

There's no way you could rightfully say Reagan was worse than Atkins when they both began just from your own arguments alone. If Reagan already had the numbers and definitely the resources (money) how in the world can you believe Reagan was worse off than Atkins? You're joking I hope? So because Reagan had at best what one or two above average years and every blue moon beat West and Tabor I think, that to you equates to good coaching? The fact you even attempt to make Atkins and Reagan comparable or better yet suggest Reagan somehow had a worse off beginning than Atkins is laughable. I by far don't claim to have a major football IQ sir but I promise you couldn't get 10 people with the good sense Christ gave us even at Reagan to believe what you just stated. Lets hold Reagan to your standard for Atkins. You say the program has improved but its the same program that has yet to beat East, every 5 years they beat either West or Tabor. That's not improvement it's the law of averages. At some point you beat someone if you play them enough times. Atkins and Reagan are not working with the same resources as well as they're in vastly different classes (2A to 4A) I wouldn't even let myself make a comparison with a 2A program most times with a few exceptions. I went on a limb and even stated we shouldn't be ranked if we (East) beat Tabor for reasons of class. I know people have their own expectations and points of view about programs but at least be fair and informed about the programs. Accurate info alone wouldn't allow you to make these comparisons. Really? Atkins? Boy we're reaching.

In KVille we don't even post about Carver and North Forsyth. We're SUPPOSED to win those two. As a matter of fact we played a bunch of JV's against North and should this Friday also. Perspective.

You realize Atkins used to beat Reagan until McGee got there right? That's the big game changer. Reagan would likely be stuck where they were if he didn't come along. You're right, you don't have much football sense. Reagan by numbers and athletes, according to you shouldn't even step on the same field as West but has beaten them quite a few times. West should beat everyone every year according to numbers and athletes lol.

Last edited:
Try to stay on topic. We were talking about Reagan and Atkins, and why would you mess with a team that's clearly better than you. West, Tabor and East have absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.

Just for craps and giggles though, by bringing up East you make my argument for me. They were nothing, bottom of the barrel when their coach got there, and in the last few years have been the area powerhouse. That's coaching, too. Called development of athletes. Talent and coaching are actually pretty intertwined, which some people don't seem to get lol.

Also, Reagan started out 3A and Atkins 2A. There really wasn't a big disparity in numbers until a few years down the road, when Atkins dropped sharply to 1A and Reagan kept growing to 4A. At the start, Atkins could and did beat Reagan 3 out of 4 years. But Atkins has been unstable, and Reagan got a much better coach than Greg King in Josh McGee. They improved drastically thereafter.

There's no way you could rightfully say Reagan was worse than Atkins when they both began just from your own arguments alone. If Reagan already had the numbers and definitely the resources (money) how in the world can you believe Reagan was worse off than Atkins? You're joking I hope? So because Reagan had at best what one or two above average years and every blue moon beat West and Tabor I think, that to you equates to good coaching? The fact you even attempt to make Atkins and Reagan comparable or better yet suggest Reagan somehow had a worse off beginning than Atkins is laughable. I by far don't claim to have a major football IQ sir but I promise you couldn't get 10 people with the good sense Christ gave us even at Reagan to believe what you just stated. Lets hold Reagan to your standard for Atkins. You say the program has improved but its the same program that has yet to beat East, every 5 years they beat either West or Tabor. That's not improvement it's the law of averages. At some point you beat someone if you play them enough times. Atkins and Reagan are not working with the same resources as well as they're in vastly different classes (2A to 4A) I wouldn't even let myself make a comparison with a 2A program most times with a few exceptions. I went on a limb and even stated we shouldn't be ranked if we (East) beat Tabor for reasons of class. I know people have their own expectations and points of view about programs but at least be fair and informed about the programs. Accurate info alone wouldn't allow you to make these comparisons. Really? Atkins? Boy we're reaching.

Paragraphs, please. Reading incoherent babble is painful enough without having to slog through it without paragraphs. You seem to have a real hatefest for Reagan, which I honestly couldn't care less about. Reagan means nothing to me. All I wanted to know is why a team would use cheap tactics like intimidation before a game when they're not even good to begin with. It's not about being scared, it's about the final score. And getting beat like a dog doesn't get you any admirers after using cheap tactics, just makes people laugh at you. Says a lot about the coaching staff, too...

Last edited:
The whole reason for the disparity between Reagan and Atkins all centers around a judges decree from a while back from what several people in the county have said. I looked for it, but can't find it currently. It stated that if a new High School were to be built on one side of I believe it is Interstate-40 (it might be a different highway/interstate) than one had to be built on the other side. Hence why Atkins struggled mightily in facilities, booster support, athletics, etc. because of the low enrollment and changes to make it more of a magnet school. Is that fair? No. What WS/FCS schools should have done is made one large new school and combined Carver with the new Atkins. The schools are 6 minutes and 3 miles from one another. Instead, they elected to build a new school that is smaller and now both Atkins and Carver are suffering mightily because of this and the open enrollment. On a totally different sub topics-WS/FCS has hurt itself a great deal by falling behind in the athletics realm. Many other school districts spend money improving facilities left and right. Some examples include Guilford, Wake, and CMS to an extent. If you look at the state of SC as a whole it is night and day, which is a story for another day. Mt. Tabor and Glenn are about to have the concrete home bleachers torn down. But instead of replace them with something nice they are putting up cheap, tacky looking aluminum. Then if you look at East Forsyth and Glenn, you see extremely tiny basketball gyms. WS/FCS won't even pony up the money to provide nice backboards on the 4 side goals in each main gym, instead electing to use wood which shows the apathy towards sports. Most of this stems from the previous superintendent's apathy to sports, but now it is almost the same with current superintendent. Academics should always come first, but when sports generates significant revenue, you would think it would be beneficial to not be so thrifty or cheap on facilities.

Reactions: Veejay4
In response to Triad Guru and lack of improvements by WSFCS, Carver just got a $250,000 scoreboard/ video board. It will rival a lot of colleges.

In response to Triad Guru and lack of improvements by WSFCS, Carver just got a $250,000 scoreboard/ video board. It will rival a lot of colleges.
I am guessing this came from booster club private donations? That is good for them. Do you have any pictures of it? Would be great to see.

I would not classify this as a success as they need other improvements that would take priority in my opinion way before a $250,000 scoreboard/video board.
Oh my!!!!!
But I guess what I am asking is how did they manage to get the funding or was this some sort of In-kind donation?

------ BREAK ------

I have heard for Carver the Concession Stands, Score Board, Press Box are all the worst some concerned fans have seen

Last edited:
I truly believe that WSFCS sabotaged Carver when they built Atkins and Walkertown (more so Atkins) and started open enrollment. You got a bunch of kids that are suppose to be at Carver that's going to Tabor, East, and Atkins. Now Carver's 2A and will probably never be good at the sport unless WS population increases, they combine Atkins and Carver, or stop open enrollment.

Let's get this straight, Reagan has only beat West Forsyth twice both under McGee since it's inception. Period....

As far as Carver, It's just a matter of time before Carver is closed for good; so Walkertown, East Forsyth and Atkins will benefit moving forward. Carver will not be around in 2020. It may become a middle school.

Finally, Reagan has better coaches & players and Atkins has NEVER been good. I don't recall them ever making the HS playoffs.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Atkins went 6-7 in 2007, beating Starmount in the first round before losing to Wilkes Central in the second. They had a tough schedule, losing to many bigger schools in Forsyth county as well as Reidsville and Southern Guilford in conference. That was Atkins best season and they have never had a winning one.

The whole reason for the disparity between Reagan and Atkins all centers around a judges decree from a while back from what several people in the county have said. I looked for it, but can't find it currently. It stated that if a new High School were to be built on one side of I believe it is Interstate-40 (it might be a different highway/interstate) than one had to be built on the other side. Hence why Atkins struggled mightily in facilities, booster support, athletics, etc. because of the low enrollment and changes to make it more of a magnet school. Is that fair? No. What WS/FCS schools should have done is made one large new school and combined Carver with the new Atkins. The schools are 6 minutes and 3 miles from one another. Instead, they elected to build a new school that is smaller and now both Atkins and Carver are suffering mightily because of this and the open enrollment. On a totally different sub topics-WS/FCS has hurt itself a great deal by falling behind in the athletics realm. Many other school districts spend money improving facilities left and right. Some examples include Guilford, Wake, and CMS to an extent. If you look at the state of SC as a whole it is night and day, which is a story for another day. Mt. Tabor and Glenn are about to have the concrete home bleachers torn down. But instead of replace them with something nice they are putting up cheap, tacky looking aluminum. Then if you look at East Forsyth and Glenn, you see extremely tiny basketball gyms. WS/FCS won't even pony up the money to provide nice backboards on the 4 side goals in each main gym, instead electing to use wood which shows the apathy towards sports. Most of this stems from the previous superintendent's apathy to sports, but now it is almost the same with current superintendent. Academics should always come first, but when sports generates significant revenue, you would think it would be beneficial to not be so thrifty or cheap on facilities.
Thank you TriadGuru. These nuts trying to compare Atkins and Reagan. Good grief.

Paragraphs, please. Reading incoherent babble is painful enough without having to slog through it without paragraphs. You seem to have a real hatefest for Reagan, which I honestly couldn't care less about. Reagan means nothing to me. All I wanted to know is why a team would use cheap tactics like intimidation before a game when they're not even good to begin with. It's not about being scared, it's about the final score. And getting beat like a dog doesn't get you any admirers after using cheap tactics, just makes people laugh at you. Says a lot about the coaching staff, too...
What does paragraphs have to do with you knowing how to read? I've read many post on here while they may not be grammatically correct I can follow them and enjoy them because of my POST high school education since you went there.
It's a football post bro not English 101.
It was my attempt to keep things cordial regardless of your undertones toward Atkins. I thank you for now allowing me to speak unbridled in my response.
Can you follow that? What I didn't appreciate about your comparisons and you make evident with your comments about my paragraphs are your undertones about Atkins and Reagan. You suppose Atkins isn't well coached because of some pregame banter (know what that means) that didn't work. Let me ask you since Dudley, Mallard Creek ETC.. does the same thing and would do it to you all (ND) and still CURB STOMP!! the snot out of you would that mean they can't coach or as you say a reflection of coaching?
You know nothing obviously about the intricacies of football to suggest some of the things you've said. What it's not enough good football in Davidson Co. that you're in Forsyth Co. business which wouldn't be bad if you knew what you were talking about. Let me help you.
That school Atkins you talk about did something you all attempted to do last year in Kernersville. They've beaten East. If East had fired Willert of his first few seasons when he wasn't winning and the numbers were low where would East be now. Guess he can't coach. Let me help you again.
I can't hate a coach or a school (Reagan) when I worked with the coaches dad and followed this young man throughout his career. I'm well versed with the coaching fraternity and the ills that plague the area.
I'm just not a homer or a keyboard warrior like you living vicariously through what you think you know.
If you knew what you were talking about you would've drawn a comparison to Reagan with resources comparable to a school like Walkertown that was smaller.
It's always the coaches and every other issue with certain schools and then schools like Reagan who are marginally successful you consider great coaching is being done.
I see your expectations aren't that high if you consider Reagan as being greatly coached and successful.
You all will find out in 2A won't be a cake walk either and I hope and pray if you all play Shelby or Reidsville in the playoffs like Carver had to when they come out for pre game and do some "wolfing" like some competitors do in football and then beat the snot out of you like we did last year (East) I hope you put it on their coaching too. Sorry my college and law enforcement education doesn't meet your requirements. Maybe you'll get off the soap box now.
Funny you dog schools like Atkins and Carver but your best player a running back comes from Carver. Guess you all benefited from the Forsyth Co. lottery too. Lol.

Last edited:
You realize Atkins used to beat Reagan until McGee got there right? That's the big game changer. Reagan would likely be stuck where they were if he didn't come along. You're right, you don't have much football sense. Reagan by numbers and athletes, according to you shouldn't even step on the same field as West but has beaten them quite a few times. West should beat everyone every year according to numbers and athletes lol.
A persons decision to become offensive toward another usually speaks to ones insecurities. Lol. You have no idea what I know. I'm really being nice since you're making it painfully evident what you don't know. This coming from the clown that said Reagan was worse off than Atkins when they both began. Don't tell anyone else that "keyboard warrior". Lol.

Try to stay on topic. We were talking about Reagan and Atkins, and why would you mess with a team that's clearly better than you. West, Tabor and East have absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.
Attempting to make a point you obviously can't follow. You're taking this where you don't need for it to go. I long suspected you didn't know anything but was enjoying the conversation. Don't expose yourself because people differ from what you say and or make better sense.

Just for craps and giggles though, by bringing up East you make my argument for me. They were nothing, bottom of the barrel when their coach got there, and in the last few years have been the area powerhouse. That's coaching, too. Called development of athletes. Talent and coaching are actually pretty intertwined, which some people don't seem to get lol.
East had few numbers because of low interest and little talent when Willert arrived. He started having some success the interest grew with the numbers and so you have it. There would be more numbers turning out at Atkins and Carver if people could see the product improving coupled with the issues outside football that's harming those schools. See I know a little bit. Lol.

Also, Reagan started out 3A and Atkins 2A. There really wasn't a big disparity in numbers until a few years down the road, when Atkins dropped sharply to 1A and Reagan kept growing to 4A. At the start, Atkins could and did beat Reagan 3 out of 4 years. But Atkins has been unstable, and Reagan got a much better coach than Greg King in Josh McGee. They improved drastically thereafter.
Follow me that's why I also said resources. Those of us in the know understand it's more than on the field with certain schools in Forsyth Co. The issue is whether people choose to keep their hands in the sand or recognize and move on what's causing the disparities in these schools.

Carver allocated that money for something they had no business getting. Carver needs sleds and tackling dummies before it needed a scoreboard. They have a new AD I believe will get it together.

Let's get this straight, Reagan has only beat West Forsyth twice both under McGee since it's inception. Period....

As far as Carver, It's just a matter of time before Carver is closed for good; so Walkertown, East Forsyth and Atkins will benefit moving forward. Carver will not be around in 2020. It may become a middle school.

Finally, Reagan has better coaches & players and Atkins has NEVER been good. I don't recall them ever making the HS playoffs.
What's your bases for saying Reagan has better coaches and players than Atkins and why would any self respecting 4A program be compared to a also ran 1A or 2A program. I would argue they have more resources and numbers but that doesn't make the coaches at Reagan better. If that's your argument then Willert should've been let go early on but as the numbers and more coaches came to East so did his record improve. These are really unfair comparisons. There are really good coaches who are at programs with minimal resources is the point I'm making. I'm trying to understand what sustained success has Reagan garnered that you think great coaching is happening over there.

Last edited:
What does paragraphs have to do with you knowing how to read? I've read many post on here while they may not be grammatically correct I can follow them and enjoy them because of my POST high school education since you went there.
It's a football post bro not English 101.
It was my attempt to keep things cordial regardless of your undertones toward Atkins. I thank you for now allowing me to speak unbridled in my response.
Can you follow that? What I didn't appreciate about your comparisons and you make evident with your comments about my paragraphs are your undertones about Atkins and Reagan. You suppose Atkins isn't well coached because of some pregame banter (know what that means) that didn't work. Let me ask you since Dudley, Mallard Creek ETC.. does the same thing and would do it to you all (ND) and still CURB STOMP!! the snot out of you would that mean they can't coach or as you say a reflection of coaching?
You know nothing obviously about the intricacies of football to suggest some of the things you've said. What it's not enough good football in Davidson Co. that you're in Forsyth Co. business which wouldn't be bad if you knew what you were talking about. Let me help you.
That school Atkins you talk about did something you all attempted to do last year in Kernersville. They've beaten East. If East had fired Willert of his first few seasons when he wasn't winning and the numbers were low where would East be now. Guess he can't coach. Let me help you again.
I can't hate a coach or a school (Reagan) when I worked with the coaches dad and followed this young man throughout his career. I'm well versed with the coaching fraternity and the ills that plague the area.
I'm just not a homer or a keyboard warrior like you living vicariously through what you think you know.
If you knew what you were talking about you would've drawn a comparison to Reagan with resources comparable to a school like Walkertown that was smaller.
It's always the coaches and every other issue with certain schools and then schools like Reagan who are marginally successful you consider great coaching is being done.
I see your expectations aren't that high if you consider Reagan as being greatly coached and successful.
You all will find out in 2A won't be a cake walk either and I hope and pray if you all play Shelby or Reidsville in the playoffs like Carver had to when they come out for pre game and do some "wolfing" like some competitors do in football and then beat the snot out of you like we did last year (East) I hope you put it on their coaching too. Sorry my college and law enforcement education doesn't meet your requirements. Maybe you'll get off the soap box now.
Funny you dog schools like Atkins and Carver but your best player a running back comes from Carver. Guess you all benefited from the Forsyth Co. lottery too. Lol.

A few things... And yes, paragraphs are important because they reflect upon you in a certain manner regarding English skills, regardless of whether you're on a football forum or drafting an essay for class.

First, Dudley tried that same crap when they came over to North in 2012 and they got sent home packing with their tails between their legs. Obviously didn't think they could win under normal circumstances so had to pull a stunt. Noticed they were quite a bit more classy when they beat our butts in gboro the next year.

Second, North has beat East so I really don't care about that as a point. I was playing for North when we stomped a mudhole in East so what happened last year has absolutely no bearing. The running back from Carver? Originally from North Davidson, has transferred back to North from there because of family. North going down to 2A doesn't have me one bit overconfident. I am well aware of schools like Shelby and Reidsville, have met their coaches and consider them to be teams that not only have superior athletes but superior coaching as well.

Third, I really don't give a flip about Atkins and you are clearly the only one on a soapbox or being a keyboard warrior, so don't get high and mighty on me lol. I don't care one wit about your law enforcement training, I served four years active duty in the USMC and have family in law enforcement, so get the entitlement out of here. Reagan started out with more numbers but fewer athletes than Atkins, plus had bad coaching hence their losses to Atkins in the first few years. Walkertown had nothing to do with any of this, again off topic...

Finally, you know nothing of my football experience. I coached youth ball my first year out of high school, middle school ball for three years, and Marine Corps service ball during my time in. I probably could split 22 players with you, take my 11 and beat yours, then take your 11 and beat mine. That's my confidence in my coaching and football knowledge. I really don't care about anything else you have to offer, you have made no point as far as I'm concerned related to the original point of the post. Good day sir, I shall be speaking no further.

At Blacknightnuts so we don't have any confusion again this isn't class but post about football.
Only a insecure troll would need to run up on people with what they learned in English class in second grade.
We talking football you talking about how someone should present their post.
Take your butt to trolls who love English.com and have at it.
I would deflect too if I said Reagan started out worse than Atkins and I know nothing? Probably the dumbest post ever on here.
You began with the belittling and condescension on here. I kept it clean regardless of how much you obviously don't know.
I apparently had to qualify myself to you because to everyone else we were able to talk like men without talking about what English we took last. Unlike u I will respect you served in the armed forces but I don't expect you to show enough respect in return that would require you to first humble and respect yourself.
Years of coaching doesn't mean you know how to coach or know anything which you've proven. I'm glad I don't judge people by anything other than ability. Listening to you on here I doubt you could take anyone's child and do anything other than promote ignorance and prejudge people you know nothing about.
It's funny you now want to end something you started yourself. People like you make it perplexing that "men"using that loosely talking to you can't agree to disagree. You remind me of other posters on here the minute someone challenges what you or they say you take issue as opposed to sharing differences.
I discipline my 4 year old son for juvenile behavior like you displayed. I would've kept it to myself that you made the most asinine statement on here and let you live well now you know. I already decided communicating with you was going nowhere. Can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. We'll annoint you Dean of Coaching sense you coached "volunteered" on the youth, middle school and church league and where ever else you stated. What a resume. Lol. Ill just keep my years between 2 Forsyth Co. high school programs and pop warner LOL since we're counting it in my pocket.
You are what insecurity looks like again when you retaliate by calling people names because they don't agree. I wasn't done!! You started this nonsense I'll shut the door on it. You keyboard warriors are something. Ill carry my convos on to others who conversate like men and don't wear panties. You said nothing but a word. Come for me again on here and it'll be the same. Make sure you read that part.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the insight and learned some thing from just about everyone on here. (For the one who needs help)

My issue and I'll continue saying it and will check it on here if I see it is some schools get passes and some schools who obviously lack the resources on top of just trying to compete lack coaching and or discipline because of some on field shenanigans that pop warner kids also practice.

Its part of the spirit of the game and competition. If you lose doing it then it didn't work but stop the vilifying people who do it.

I've seen it go overboard but more often it's kids being kids. You want a fair comparison throw recent new 4 A schools who've won state titles in together. That would be Reagan, Mallard Creek, Butler, etc.....there's your coaching argument now. Even playing field across the board. Crickets.......lets see if we go off some of your arguments Butler and Creek have more kids, resources and wins so that makes their staffs better coaches. Give Cutcliffe the Tide and give Saban Duke guess who the best coach would be. Lol. That's how that sounds. It's Joes and more of them that make the coach than just coaching.

Last edited:
Sigh... I was done but you just had to bring more ignorance and lack of comprehension to the table...

English. Communication. Essential in everyday life and especially in law enforcement and the military, where a lack of communication could get you or others around you killed. Is it just a message board? Yes, but there is also communication here, and a lack of understanding makes your point invalid, and shows your ignorance. I really hope you are not in a position of leadership, because your lack of English and by extension communication skills would make me very worried for your subordinates. You want to talk qualifications but have none as it bears to related material.

Name calling? Go back and check your posts Pot, and meet your friend Kettle. The irony.. also making assumptions about people? Again, pot meet kettle...

Coaching. I have had lesser numbers and athletes basically everywhere I have coached, and still won. At Tyro middle school we were the second smallest school in Davidson and Davie County Football, and we went 6-2, 6-2, and 7-1 in three years. We never lost to Lexington, Thomasville, Central, East, Ledford or South Davie. The only ones we lost were to North Davidson, North Davie, and Ellis, all of which were twice or 1.5 times our size at least. You need the Jimmies and Joes, but you also need coaching. Athletes without coaching do not win, just look at Lexington for the last 20-30 years to understand that.

Whatever else I did? Marine Corps service ball is comprised of men aged 18-35 in most cases, making it above high school ball and more along the lines of semi-pro in essence. In the Marines I had a team of 15 devil dogs that won a title against a team of 40 from a larger base. I was the only Lance Corporal who coached my first year, everyone else was a Sergeant or higher, including officers. My superiors knew my abilities to teach fundamental football and put me in charge by merit, not anything else. I don't care one iota about your opinion, because your ignorance of coaching is astounding.

Reading comprehension. I said that Atkins started off better purely from a perspective of athletes. You can talk money all you want, that has nothing to do with play on the field. Atkins had better athletes to start with than Reagan, and it is reflected by their success against Reagan the first three out of four years. You obviously have something against schools with recourses, which is funny and ironic coming from a so-called East Forsyth fan. The only schools with better numbers and recourses than East are West and maybe Reagan, and only very recently.

As a coach I always assume I am working with a bare cupboard and can then be pleasantly surprised. But whether a kid is talented or not, I still coach the fundamental aspects of football the same. Your defeatist attitude is disgusting and I sincerely hope you are never a coach in a lead role with such a terrible attitude.

As far as Cutcliffe and Saban, Cutcliffe does more than anyone in the country, especially a few years ago when Duke won a division title with far less talent recruiting wise than other teams in the division. Winning 10 games at Duke speaks volumes. I should know, I've been going to games in Wallace Wade since I was a kid. Saban on the other hand paid his dues and gave teams fits when he was at Michigan State, beating Ohio State and teams with much better recourses. It's just that now Saban has the best recourses, and also has outstanding coaching to go along with it. The man knows football, and how to build a team. Bama was average when he got there, now they're the example everyone wants to be with regards to consistently winning. Much like Tom Osborne at Nebraska in a modern day sense.

Now, I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong and ignorant to certain things. My knowledge of Atkins and the socioeconomic structure of Forsyth county is limited, I'll give you that. But Atkins could be successful with the right administration and coaching staff. They compete on a level where it makes no sense that they have never had a winning season. What was it you said, law of averages? You would think that the law of averages would say Atkins could win at the 2A and especially the 1A levels when there. And yes, I realize their out of conference schedule is a steep slope, having to play much bigger schools in Forsyth county. Good luck to them, I really do hope they have success at some point.

Mods, feel free to lock or delete this thread, it has spiraled and I admit my part in it. I'm done completely, there will be no further replies as of now. No matter what else is said, I'm through with the internet wars for today lol.

Last edited:
I'm a Forsyth County guy and more specifically a Carver guy. In the two schools inception Atkins had a better team than Reagan even though Atkins was 9th and 10th (forced to play a varsity schedule) and Reagan was 9th-11th. Coach Winbush was the Atkins coach in the beginning and the school was not a magnet school. It had a district. Now coach Winbush was forced to play bigger schools varsity teams and when his group of freshmen and sophomores became juniors and seniors they made the playoffs and were decent. (the 2007 year that you referred too) Reagan though they were lacking in athletes always had better resources just due to the booster club and the parents ability to generate funds. For example Reagan had baseball lights and I'm not sure Atkins has lights yet. Coach McGee however has changed things at Reagan with coaching and his brilliant offensive mind!! He has taken kids and put them into a scheme that they can be somewhat successful in and theyre competitive. Atkins had a change in administration and policy and became a magnet and focused on academics. They dont care about sports at Atkins now and they push academics and have gone from the worst scores in town to the best. They are very selective about who they enroll and their sports have suffered. Atkins have great parents and booster club but the emphasis on sports is just not in the building. But check out their academic team though!!! So the reasons for Reagan being better than Atkins is two fold. Reagan got a much better coach who has implemented a scheme thats attractive to players (and it has ruined North Forsyth) and Atkins just hasnt placed the emphasis on sports at all,
Now Carver is another conversation in itself which i can share but this is a Reagan/Atkins thread.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Principal and AD was let go
AD being let go was a good thing. Palmer is way better and more qualified. Around the state many unqualified people in AD positions. AD spots need to be filled with people with energy, people skills, and ability to raise funds to benefit all of athletics, with a vision for facility and program enhancements.

I'm a Forsyth County guy and more specifically a Carver guy. In the two schools inception Atkins had a better team than Reagan even though Atkins was 9th and 10th (forced to play a varsity schedule) and Reagan was 9th-11th. Coach Winbush was the Atkins coach in the beginning and the school was not a magnet school. It had a district. Now coach Winbush was forced to play bigger schools varsity teams and when his group of freshmen and sophomores became juniors and seniors they made the playoffs and were decent. (the 2007 year that you referred too) Reagan though they were lacking in athletes always had better resources just due to the booster club and the parents ability to generate funds. For example Reagan had baseball lights and I'm not sure Atkins has lights yet. Coach McGee however has changed things at Reagan with coaching and his brilliant offensive mind!! He has taken kids and put them into a scheme that they can be somewhat successful in and theyre competitive. Atkins had a change in administration and policy and became a magnet and focused on academics. They dont care about sports at Atkins now and they push academics and have gone from the worst scores in town to the best. They are very selective about who they enroll and their sports have suffered. Atkins have great parents and booster club but the emphasis on sports is just not in the building. But check out their academic team though!!! So the reasons for Reagan being better than Atkins is two fold. Reagan got a much better coach who has implemented a scheme thats attractive to players (and it has ruined North Forsyth) and Atkins just hasnt placed the emphasis on sports at all,
Now Carver is another conversation in itself which i can share but this is a Reagan/Atkins thread.

Thank you sir for that information, it is very enlightening. I wish them well, and I hope things get better for Carver as well. A good day to you, sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT