ADVERTISEMENT

Reagan 0-1 at Mooresville 1-0

MHSBigBlue06

Jun 19, 2022
First even meeting between these two programs. I’m looking forward to it.

Reagan comes in off a bit of a surprise loss (to me anyway) 42-27 to Marvin Ridge. Mooresville comes in off of a convincing win, that got much less convincing in the final 5 minutes 31-24 lol.

I have NO idea what to expect out of Reagan. I know they have some D1 guys all over that lineup on both sides of the ball. Looked like Marvin Ridge was able to get the ground game going, I would expect us to try to establish the run early and often… it is historically what we do. The difference is this year we can actually make plays vertically down the field too. Something we couldn’t do last year. I would expect this game to be extremely competitive… a one score type of game either way.

Always a good environment at The Popp!

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I’m going with Mooresville with home advantage. But as you say should be a good one,

Can’t look pasted Reagan - Some players have step up their game bc they were silent in the Davie game so I’ll take Mooresville by 3

Reagan was the most disappointing team in the CPC this week. I picked them 2nd this year in the CPC but that's probably NOT going to happen(I didn't realize just how much they lost.. they are extremely young). In Fact, I have them behind East Forsyth, West Forsyth & Mt Tabor and watch out for RJR.

Their defense was bad, same ole defense that has held back Reagan for most of their 20yrs of football tenure. They gave up 435yds to two RBs vs Marvin Ridge...Now,(MR) is probably a really good team but Reagan's Defense is much younger than I thought. I see them starting 0-3.

Reagan's offense is fine but they lost some really good O-Linemen and they are so young much like the defense; not as good as last year but it's still early. Coach McGee got his work cut out but high expectations has turned to rebuilding/molding very young talent as the year goes by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warhead1
it’s baffling how many times Mooresville gets beat deep late in the game when everybody in the entire free world knows what’s coming.
Two words. Zone defense.

That all stems from taking their foot of the gas. It’s what separates us from a school in Charlotte… when they smell blood, they go for the jugular. When we smell blood, we show mercy. It almost bit us in the butt this week.

Reagan was the most disappointing team in the CPC this week. I picked them 2nd this year in the CPC but that's probably NOT going to happen(I didn't realize just how much they lost.. they are extremely young). In Fact, I have them behind East Forsyth, West Forsyth & Mt Tabor and watch out for RJR.

Their defense was bad, same ole defense that has held back Reagan for most of their 20yrs of football tenure. They gave up 435yds to two RBs vs Marvin Ridge...Now,(MR) is probably a really good team but Reagan's Defense is much younger than I thought. I see them starting 0-3.

Reagan's offense is fine but they lost some really good O-Linemen and they are so young much like the defense; not as good as last year but it's still early. Coach McGee got his work cut out but high expectations has turned to rebuilding/molding very young talent as the year goes by.
I think I’m expecting this to be a bit of a shootout here. This Mooresville team is a bit different than previous where we can actually throw it now… not rely on running 45 times a game. I know Reagan has a good QB… and our DBs have yet to step up and regularly lock guys down. Could see a 42-35 game here either way

I think I’m expecting this to be a bit of a shootout here. This Mooresville team is a bit different than previous where we can actually throw it now… not rely on running 45 times a game. I know Reagan has a good QB… and our DBs have yet to step up and regularly lock guys down. Could see a 42-35 game here either way
Not sure we watched the same games last year cherry was slinging it the plays he was making was ridiculous wrs we’re inconsistent last year tho And oline was horrendous this year they have better o line though great game this week I have mooresville 21-14 run heavy game!

Not sure we watched the same games last year cherry was slinging it the plays he was making was ridiculous wrs we’re inconsistent last year tho And oline was horrendous this year they have better o line though great game this week I have mooresville 21-14 run heavy game!
There were games where we had under 50 yards passing… No… he wasn’t “slinging” it. But we weren’t asking him to be a gun slinger. We probably averaged about 15 pass attempts a game. And averaged probably north of 30 rushes a game.

Week 1- 10-17, 171 and 3
Week 2- 7-24, 100, 0TD 1INT
Week 3- 9-14, 184, 1 TD 1 INT
Week 4- 5-12, 33yds, 0 & 0
week 5- 7-16, 155, 2 & 0
Week 6- 8-14, 96, 0 & 0
Week 7- 2-5, 105, 1 & 1
Week 8- 4-8, 81 yards, 1 & 1
Week 9- 5-16, 136, 2 & 0
Week 10- 6-16, 103, 2 & 0

That’s not exactly slinging it. But that also wasn’t the type of offense we were running last year. Very heavily reliant on the run. He was a great game manager. Took care of the ball exceptionally well. And used his legs to open things up.

There were games where we had under 50 yards passing… No… he wasn’t “slinging” it. But we weren’t asking him to be a gun slinger. We probably averaged about 15 pass attempts a game. And averaged probably north of 30 rushes a game.

Week 1- 10-17, 171 and 3
Week 2- 7-24, 100, 0TD 1INT
Week 3- 9-14, 184, 1 TD 1 INT
Week 4- 5-12, 33yds, 0 & 0
week 5- 7-16, 155, 2 & 0
Week 6- 8-14, 96, 0 & 0
Week 7- 2-5, 105, 1 & 1
Week 8- 4-8, 81 yards, 1 & 1
Week 9- 5-16, 136, 2 & 0
Week 10- 6-16, 103, 2 & 0

That’s not exactly slinging it. But that also wasn’t the type of offense we were running last year. Very heavily reliant on the run. He was a great game manager. Took care of the ball exceptionally well. And used his legs to open things up.
He had 4tds against ridge last year and he came out with a game ball almost every game I have all the correct stats as some of these are incorrect if you want to see those but yea pass game was inconsistent also goes with scheme in 4a you have to call pass plays and be able to throw the ball to make it far in the playoffs that’s why butler beat them tried to run the ball down there throat the whole game with no pass!

He had 4tds against ridge last year and he came out with a game ball almost every game I have all the correct stats as some of these are incorrect if you want to see those but yea pass game was inconsistent also goes with scheme in 4a you have to call pass plays and be able to throw the ball to make it far in the playoffs that’s why butler beat them tried to run the ball down there throat the whole game with no pass!
Slinging it doesn’t mean running the football. Lol. He was great scoring on the ground. All those stats are correct PASSING stats via Max Preps.

Simmons has Mooresville favorited by 18pts. We need the thunderstorms to stay away.

I'm thinking a real tight one... 28-24 Mooresville but Reagan can win this if they play better defense and tackle better. Reagan has a good offense and a good QB & RB & WR so they can score.

If the Mooresville QB can run it gives Reagan problems. Last week, Marvin Ridge QB ran for 250yds and the RB ran for 200yds. The two had 6 TD's rushing.

First play from scrimmage after touchback, M qb 40 yd scramble. Followed by run for no gain and then holding penalty and then timeout

After a few punts by both teams, M breaks off 40+ run close to goal line.

Scores 2 plays later.

Final Score

Reagan 13
Mooresville 14

Possibly the worst game of football I’ve ever watched live. And I saw the 2-0 Statesville win at Lake Norman. I’ve seen Pop Warner teams play with more discipline and composure. That was honestly two pretty bad teams.

Tbh Reagan probably deserved to win by 2 TDs.

Reagan starting 0-4 …. Got Grimsley then East Forsyth. Coach McGee is probably in a bad mood these days. I guess the defense was better; but the offense sputterd. These next two weeks, Reagan plays arguably the best two public schools in the state.

Reactions: MHSBigBlue06
Reagan starting 0-4 …. Got Grimsley then East Forsyth. Coach McGee is probably in a bad mood these days. I guess the defense was better; but the offense sputterd. These next two weeks, Reagan plays arguably the best two public schools in the state.
The defense i wouldn’t say was better, they just went up against a completely inept offense. The amount of just basic fundamental things we were doing wrong was mind blowing. And we have zero discipline… the number penalties a game for us (and they’re legit) is astounding.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
The real story is Missed Opportunity once again for Reagan - They had at least 2-3 INT inside the red zone. Reagan also had 3 FG blocked on the night.

Reagan imo was ever so slightly better then Mooresville but failed to capitalized on there moments to get a lead. Mooresville D played well too as they had some great stops on 3rd n 4th down. Mooresville O had some bright spots but didn’t do a lot most drives.

1 thing I did see both teams must of hydrated well as their were very few cramping issues. I like Coach McGee as I got to do a Pre-Game interview with him and I think Reagan will be OK but I agree with Grimsley and EF it’s going be a tough road ahead if they can’t figure out to score on Offense

I couldn't tell if R's defense was better than in the past or M's offense was bad. Seemed like the M offense shot itself in the foot with a lot of penalties.

First time I've seen M play. Seen plenty of their scores over the years and the scores indicated a good team. The D was adequate but the O seemed like a disjointed mess.

M will probably improve throughout the course of the year. R usually does not. They pretty much stay at the same level the whole season.

I'll say McGee looked disgusted on the sideline. He laid into players multiple times on the sideline. That was a little unusual.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I couldn't tell if R's defense was better than in the past or M's offense was bad. Seemed like the M offense shot itself in the foot with a lot of penalties.

First time I've seen M play. Seen plenty of their scores over the years and the scores indicated a good team. The D was adequate but the O seemed like a disjointed mess.

M will probably improve throughout the course of the year. R usually does not. They pretty much stay at the same level the whole season.

I'll say McGee looked disgusted on the sideline. He laid into players multiple times on the sideline. That was a little unusual.
Well first Thanks for coming to Mooresville hopefully the atmosphere and other things were good

2nd : we have some new pieces / injuries so I believe that’s prob why our O was so off beat but I can’t answer for all the simple mistake penalties we had for false start and such. Mooresville O has a learning curve - D is good bc We hardly lost anyone last yr so D will keep up in most games

3. I notice that too - I was on Reagan sideline a few times n he was talking to some of his players so Maybe they were lining up or missing assignments I guess but Coach McGee is a good guy n I’m sure he will try get his team back on track.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
First thing I’ll say… impressive crowd turn out. From both sides really. Mooresville crowd was full as always, Reagan brought a pretty large crowd down too. Wasn’t sure what to expect from that aspect.

Offensively from us… we just didn’t get into a rhythm. Any positive play we had was always seemingly called back on a penalty. And there were a ton of times where we would get a stop on defense only to get a flag that would extend a Reagan drive. This game, the discipline (or lack of) more than anything about cost us. Also felt like 22 (our RB) needed to get more Carries, he was having himself a night. Thought our QB looked much better in the second half, despite not completing many. Several balls were exactly where they needed to be for our guy to make a play… #7 for Reagan made some big plays to break up some plays that would have been big for us.

In retrospect looking at the game… I say both teams are bad… I think it’s more Mooresville had a bad night and Reagan played us tough like the Reagan i expected to see before the season.

Also… we gotta do something about containment of QBs. That’s two weeks in a row now that QBs have been able to run on us.

Wow I thought the game was over at 49-28. I guess not. Sounded similar to Mooresville playing Davie in Varsity.

Wow I thought the game was over at 49-28. I guess not. Sounded similar to Mooresville playing Davie in Varsity.
We subbed out too early… they scored… got a stop… scored again… recovered onside… scored again with 30 seconds left and missed the 2pt to tie.

We then. Recovered the next on side. That was all in the final like 6 minutes lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT