ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Burke county football fans

County needs to check in on the recruiting going on parent's need to quit trying to use Freedom as your feeder program and leave EB alone also they are trying to do things the rights way there. This might be why EB struggles with getting Athletes sometime at the school they pull from their feeder program and still beat Draughn this year!! Only seen one starter Dula missing in that game went back and watch my nephew highlights. Seen where someone said Draughn was missing more players did not see that counting all the players on the sideline QB had two picks that night so no excuses...
Congratulations to EB. Y’all beat draughn week 4 then sucked ass the rest of the year. I would love to go back and forth with you about football but your season ended a few weeks ago. The greatest win of your season must have meant a lot to you. 🗑️

Reactions: CoachHines72
County needs to check in on the recruiting going on parent's need to quit trying to use Freedom as your feeder program and leave EB alone also they are trying to do things the rights way there. This might be why EB struggles with getting Athletes sometime at the school they pull from their feeder program and still beat Draughn this year!! Only seen one starter Dula missing in that game went back and watch my nephew highlights. Seen where someone said Draughn was missing more players did not see that counting all the players on the sideline QB had two picks that night so no excuses...

3-7 ? 1-6 In conference??? You need to at least win some ball games before you comment on threads like this.

Id be really careful with your words EB. Unlike freedom you do have Draughn on your schedule next year and id hate to see all of them TRANSFERS run up the score on you since they will ALL be back. Sometimes people should just be quiet and think before they speak.

3-7

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
3-7 ? 1-6 In conference??? You need to at least win some ball games before you comment on threads like this.
Jump in our conference toughest conference around 4 playoff teams got in!! There is a reason for the wins and losses toughest conference around!! EB did not play a bunch of no win teams wish we had a weak conference Not taking anything away from Draughn season good luck Friday!!

Jump in our conference toughest conference around 4 playoff teams got in!! There is a reason for the wins and losses toughest conference around!! EB did not play a bunch of no win teams wish we had a weak conference Not taking anything away from Draughn season good luck Friday!!
No excuses. Keep that energy next fall just bring a calculator to keep track of the score. #1Trick🐎

Reactions: CoachHines72
With all due respect to Tyler Shatley, Leon Johnson was the finest football player in Burke County history. There are running backs with more rushing yards and quarterbacks who were better passers, but if you were allowed to choose from among all of the players in county history to build a team around and you didn't pick him first and put him where you thought he could do the most good you would be making a serious mistake,
Leon by far. Saw him hit his head on the backboard during basketball game one time. Dude was a freak

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Heard the Draughn QB has a connection to Shelby. Anybody from that area know if that's true?

Heard the Draughn QB has a connection to Shelby. Anybody from that area know if that's true?
This is not the first time that rumor has surfaced in the last few weeks. Considering how much firepower draughn has right now on both sides of the ball and add to the fact the teams success this year , AND also that most of the team will be back next fall let’s call this FAKE NEWS. I’m surprised that the rumors aren’t about more kids coming to play with them in Valdese.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I'm hearing other rumors about draughn QB and freedom QB but who knows what truth is 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: BK13T-$
Any news about Tillery is fake news…. #Iknow
Y’all do know dula or tillery never stepped a foot in freedom so why are y’all saying their freedom kids lol. Freedom has gotten transfers for many of years I know a couple of kids who where in west Caldwell district who has played basketball at freedom.

Reactions: Fbfan28655
Name one kid who was supposed to have to west that played for freedom. I can also name a couple of kids who was supposed to went to freedom but played for west. Stoney polite for one. I dont have bad feelings about it cause i don't know why he transferred but I don't worry about it either.

Last edited:
The fact some freedom fans are a bit salty about Draughn getting some transfers is comical after the many transfers they’ve acquired in all sports.

Name one kid who was supposed to have to west that played for freedom. I can also name a couple of kids who was supposed to went to freedom but played for west. Stoney polite for one. I dont have bad feelings about it cause i don't know why he transferred but I don't worry about it either.
Why Stoney transfer to west cause west beat freedom everytime Stoney played them and he played in the regionals with west freedom didn’t make it so that’s a dumb question

As a FHS fan and former Alumni:
Last week I made a post about my disappointment in FHS for not making a push to keep their feeder kids that have found Historical success across the county. I wanted to come back today and amend my former comments with this.

FHS we all need to stand behind Draughn and these players. Not only did they win last night they have done something that we have never done in HISTORY. I am also urging the AD for the county or whoever can make it happen please schedule a non-conference game next fall Vs Draughn. We have played draughn every year up until 2 years ago and I feel like we are ducking them which is showing fear. It’s showing our kids that not only can you leave our program and find success , you can go there and never worry about playing FHS again in football. Our community as a whole deserves this game to be played next year.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Actually freedom beat west both times the year before he left. I know cause I filmed for freedom then. I respect yalls program but if you want to talk basketball history. 4 state championships to 0. I was stating I didn't know and i didn't want to know you prick.

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
My point was don't say we had some of yalls kids out of district when yall had a few In our district, which you couldn't go wrong with either program.

Actually freedom beat west both times the year before he left. I know cause I filmed for freedom then. I respect yalls program but if you want to talk basketball history. 4 state championships to 0. I was stating I didn't know and i didn't want to know you prick.
Freedom is a basketball school and has won titles. This is a football thread so to be honest freedom isn’t the team in Burke anymore. One other point I will add is based on the Freedom and Patton game I’d be worried that Draughn hands freedom a loss when they play basketball in a few weeks. Look at what Draughn is returning and add the Miller and Vess kid that we’re at Patton last fall. Tillery and Rector are too big for FHS to matchup with down low. Rector is strong and will own the boards. Tillery at 6’7 will be tough to guard on the wing. The game will be close but I really feel DHS will upset them.

I agree but I was just saying don't fuss about freedom having kids out of district when the school you support does too. I know only one of those kids ever played at freedom and I do understand why some of those kids didn't come to fhs. The school has become a mess.

I agree but I was just saying don't fuss about freedom having kids out of district when the school you support does too. I know only one of those kids ever played at freedom and I do understand why some of those kids didn't come to fhs. The school has become a mess.
From a football standpoint most talented kids at FHS will leave considering the success across county. Wait and see

Hey guys, can we move on to a new Burke County topic? This one is worn out. If you want to keep talking about Burke County, how about we talk about the fact that both coaches in next week's games are products of the same Burke County programs? I think that's pretty impressive.

Oddly enough they came up out of the same Rec league and middle school programs too.

I know he was the first head coach at Patton, which I'm not going to get into what happened. I always liked JK. I know chris did twice and never got an interview.

Wow fellas I tell ya I didn’t think this thread I started would make it this far but I gotta tell ya it’s got a lot of info. Now main question was has any school made it to 4th round in football, well I got the 4th round of Freedom playing Concord so that’s good, and someone mentioned Glenn Alpine in the 60s but I saw a chart a guy showed me on FB when I was posting bout Draughn winning 4th round and how that hadn’t happened to any Burke school east of Morganton but I was showed that Drexel made it to final game one year in the 60s around the time Vietnam was just starting to get heated up, However on that chart I didn’t see Glen Alpine. Maybe I was shown the wrong thing,read it wrong who knows.

The 1999 Freedom team was prob one of the top if not the top of all time for Freedom and was put out first round. Goes to show you what’s out there in 4A. We all would argue or mostly agree the talent at Freedom before Patton has came mostly from Glen Alpine and Oak Hill area so imagine if Freedom was 3A with that specific team we’d be talking 4th round or better with them possibly. Draughn playing in the 1A has been advantageous with the good players they got that would be pretty good in any division Not sure how they’d do with 2A or 3A with that team in playoffs but there is a huge jump just from 1A to 2A alone. Good to see a lot of Draughn players coming back, a lot of EB players are too and the “Feud” game should be even more exciting next year. Looking for EB to make a a go in the playoffs (just making it, no big run) next year provided they have a QB. Won’t be like 2007 EB but they should be ok. I saw our power back Coble ain’t on the Basketball team (could be wrong) so hopefully he’s beefing up and gonna be as close to Shatley type as he can get. Rest assured EB will have a run game next year and a fast couple of WR if they can get a QB to step up and get the ball out quick. It’ll be an interesting year provided we stay healthy.

As far as the modern day time with Freedom and EB then the 2 school expansion from F and EB, no school has made it past 4th round til this past Friday. Hey I’m loving it, got family history in valdese high and cousins in Draughn now and my boys will attend Draugh(unless we move) so I’ll just eat it up til they lose if they lose. If it’s just on the 1A path so be it. But yeah if anyone got a championship chart from way back wheneve, post it

Last edited:
Wow fellas I tell ya I didn’t think this thread I started would make it this far but I gotta tell ya it’s got a lot of info. Now main question was has any school made it to 4th round in football, well I got the 4th round of Freedom playing Concord so that’s good, and someone mentioned Glenn Alpine in the 60s but I saw a chart a guy showed me on FB when I was posting bout Draughn winning 4th round and how that hadn’t happened to any Burke school east of Morganton but I was showed that Drexel made it to final game one year in the 60s around the time Vietnam was just starting to get heated up, However on that chart I didn’t see Glen Alpine. Maybe I was shown the wrong thing,read it wrong who knows.

The 1999 Freedom team was prob one of the top if not the top of all time for Freedom and was put out first round. Goes to show you what’s out there in 4A. We all would argue or mostly agree the talent at Freedom before Patton has came mostly from Glen Alpine and Oak Hill area so imagine if Freedom was 3A with that specific team we’d be talking 4th round or better with them possibly. Draughn playing in the 1A has been advantageous with the good players they got that would be pretty good in any division Not sure how they’d do with 2A or 3A with that team in playoffs but there is a huge jump just from 1A to 2A alone. Good to see a lot of Draughn players coming back, a lot of EB players are too and the “Feud” game should be even more exciting next year. Looking for EB to make a a go in the playoffs (just making it, no big run) next year provided they have a QB. Won’t be like 2007 EB but they should be ok.

As far as the modern day time with Freedom and EB then the 2 school expansion from F and EB, no school has made it past 4th round til this past Friday. Hey I’m loving it, got family history in valdese high and cousins in Draughn now and my boys will attend Draugh(unless we move) so I’ll just eat it up til they lose if they lose. If it’s just on the 1A path so be it. But yeah if anyone got a championship chart from way back wheneve, post it
Great job EB will be back next year just watch! I know Draughn will be loaded again next year but EB did not lose but a few seniors fun times ahead for 2023 🏈🏈🏈

Reactions: Burkeforreal

The 1999 Freedom team was prob one of the top if not the top of all time for Freedom and was put out first round. Goes to show you what’s out there in 4A. We all would argue or mostly agree the talent at Freedom before Patton has came mostly from Glen Alpine and Oak Hill area so imagine if Freedom was 3A with that specific team we’d be talking 4th round or better with them possibly. Draughn playing in the 1A has been advantageous with the good players they got that would be pretty good in any division Not sure how they’d do with 2A or 3A with that team in playoffs but there is a huge jump just from 1A to 2A alone. Good to see a lot of Draughn players coming back, a lot of EB players are too and the “Feud” game should be even more exciting next year. Looking for EB to make a a go in the playoffs (just making it, no big run) next year provided they have a QB. Won’t be like 2007 EB but they should be ok. I saw our power back Coble ain’t on the Basketball team (could be wrong) so hopefully he’s beefing up and gonna be as close to Shatley type as he can get. Rest assured EB will have a run game next year and a fast couple of WR if they can get a QB to step up and get the ball out quick. It’ll be an interesting year provided we stay healthy.

I think what you are looking for is the NCHSAA football champions list which is here: https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/FB STATE CHAMPIONS 05162021.pdf
It does show Glen Alpine as having several (shared) state championships and Drexel as being the 6 man state champions in 1950.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Great job EB will be back next year just watch! I know Draughn will be loaded again next year but EB did not lose but a few seniors fun times ahead for 2023 🏈🏈🏈
You know it man, I wish any of the players that’s big difference makers that play basketball would just not play basketball and hit this weight room like Rocky snd prep up for this season I’m anticipating will be promising to make it even more promising. I don’t know what’s going on with men’s basketball at EB but other than 98’ 00’ and and 2 or 3 seasons here and there after that EB just really hasn’t been known for basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT