ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Burke county football fans

With all due respect to Tyler Shatley, Leon Johnson was the finest football player in Burke County history. There are running backs with more rushing yards and quarterbacks who were better passers, but if you were allowed to choose from among all of the players in county history to build a team around and you didn't pick him first and put him where you thought he could do the most good you would be making a serious mistake,
Leon is definitely 1. I think the scope the other person is talking about is in reference to the last decade. I may be wrong but I think that’s what they meant since it was about when the program started going downward.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Leon is definitely 1. I think the scope the other person is talking about is in reference to the last decade. I may be wrong but I think that’s what they meant since it was about when the program started going downward.

Correct

With all due respect to Tyler Shatley, Leon Johnson was the finest football player in Burke County history. There are running backs with more rushing yards and quarterbacks who were better passers, but if you were allowed to choose from among all of the players in county history to build a team around and you didn't pick him first and put him where you thought he could do the most good you would be making a serious mistake,

Leon would be #1. BJ and Tyler would both be tied as my #2.

Leon is hands down the best all around to come out of this county. I was talking about players I've seen and I would say best running back is bj best qb is helms best wr khris gardin. Back to the topic, I am happy for draughn and coach Powell and the success they are having. Draughn got a coach who changed the culture there and I'm still shocked freedom didn't even give the guy an interview when he applied. Hopefully freedom can turn things around but there has to be accountability and discipline along with support from the administration. 3 things which chris Powell has. Kids do want to play for a program with good structure and draughn has that.

This ought to be on another thread but seems Draughns run will come to an end this Friday. Andrews from what I hear has a RB that’s not quite as big as Shatley but still big and can move really fast. Sorta like a Shatley/Emmons hybrid. Racking up over 300 rushing yards against Murphy. I’m not a negative Nancy or a Debby downer just said it “seems”. It’s a winnable game for Draughn, not like it’s App State taking on Bama. If and should Draughn prevail against such a force then it’ll reinforce what you guys are saying bout the program

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
This ought to be on another thread but seems Draughns run will come to an end this Friday. Andrews from what I hear has a RB that’s not quite as big as Shatley but still big and can move really fast. Sorta like a Shatley/Emmons hybrid. Racking up over 300 rushing yards against Murphy. If and should Draughn prevail against such a force then it’ll reinforce what you guys are saying bout the program
Round 4 and still hate from locals lmao. They only way to put this horse to bed is a matchup with freedom but they won’t play draughn. #fear

Round 4 and still hate from locals lmao. They only way to put this horse to bed is a matchup with freedom but they won’t play draughn. #fear
I went back and edited this post prob bout the same time you replied. No hateing at all going on Draughn. Just a realist, I’m mostly an EB fan but I pull for Draughn when they don’t line up with EB cause of family ties, history, and my boys will be attending Draughn several years from now. I been to all the playoff games except Mitchell cause I was in church that night. Just from scouting reports and threads and stats I just said it seems our run may come to an end. I say our cause I’m with Draughn myself and will be braving the elements right there with ya.. Baby cousin cheerleads for Draughn and another played volleyball so I got a dog in the fight somewhat. Hey, David did slay Goliath did he not. :) Let’s go enjoy a good game, win or lose. Sorry if it came across as hatin’

Reactions: swatz19
What can y'all tell me about this kaden Davis kid. QB freedom ?? He was at our game last week checking us out....

What kind of quarterback is that draughn kid 🤔
I overlooked the question but it’s prob done been answered if you read on. Well he is tall, very tall, knowledgeable of the field and can run if need be and is hard to guard on the option. I can’t see him being a young Aaron Rogers or someone like that but he gets the job done and is improving his game without a doubt and making quicker decisions as the season has went along. He’s a guy that you can say if you’re a Draughn fan “ I’m glad he’s on our side” ha ha.

No telling what the future holds for him college wise but there is next year and if the game improves even more then some more D1 might open up

You are too young to remember Harold "Budrow" Johnson. He graduated from Glen Alpine in 1970 and was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl. Budrow was a fantastic athlete and played QB, RB and WR for the Green Wave. He punted and was an excellent kicker as well, booting a few field goals when needed. As a sophomore he intercepted 17 passes in only 13 games and he still hold the state single season interception record. I saw both he and Leon Johnson play and it would be a hard decision to decide who was the best. I could also throw the name of Charlie Crowe of NCSD into the mix as well.

Wherever KD goes that team will get a true baller. I can see him at Maiden, Crest, or Hibriten. Best of luck to him in his journey.
I’m a eastern poster just reading the threads and my question is how do you pick the school you want to go to. Do you have open enrollment or just move the household?

Weaver will threatened that int record. He is probably around 13 now.

I’m a eastern poster just reading the threads and my question is how do you pick the school you want to go to. Do you have open enrollment or just move the household?

The same way Tarboro does
Over lapping district lines and open enrollment

• Haha
Reactions: Jmappfan5
Move to that district if u wanna do it legally and so team and player doesn't get in trouble

Reactions: BK13T-$
You are too young to remember Harold "Budrow" Johnson. He graduated from Glen Alpine in 1970 and was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl. Budrow was a fantastic athlete and played QB, RB and WR for the Green Wave. He punted and was an excellent kicker as well, booting a few field goals when needed. As a sophomore he intercepted 17 passes in only 13 games and he still hold the state single season interception record. I saw both he and Leon Johnson play and it would be a hard decision to decide who was the best. I could also throw the name of Charlie Crowe of NCSD into the mix as well.
I've seen this sort of argument before so I'm going to take a moment and speak to it. It's true that I never saw Budrow Johnson play, but his son played with my brother on the 1987 FHS team that went 11-2, so I know who Budrow is and I've heard people talk about him. I've also seen Doug Cline, from Valdese, thrown in there from time to time. But Leon Johnson was such a freakishly good athlete that, after you watched him a few times, you were never surprised at what he did athletically, though it would often shock others. Throw down five dunks in a game? I saw Leon do that against Mitchell once. Win two straight state championships in the long jump (back before they subdivided by class)? Leon did that too. Get drafted by the SF Giants in baseball based almost entirely on athletic ability? That was also him. And that's before I get into what he did on the football field for Freedom or what he accomplished at Carolina or in the NFL. It's very difficult to see what others from Burke County have accomplished athletically that come anywhere close to that.

Reactions: CoachHines72
Glen Alpine won state titles in the 60s 😁
Coach Jug Wilson had the Green Wave rolling during the 60's for sure. The years in Bold were the years that the Green Wave went as far as they could advance, winning one of the four Regional Titles. The 1966 season was the Green Wave's first year in 2A losing a heartbreaking game 26-20 in the final seconds to Mt. Holly. Teams were allowed only 13 games that year, a first for N.C.

1961 12-0, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 4 champ) Defeated Clyde
1962 12-0, (Skyline Conference Champ/ 1A Region 4 champ) Defeated Andrews
1963 5-3, (Skyline Conference Co-Champ/ w Drexel/no playoffs)
1964 9-3, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 champ) Defeated Southern Pines
1965 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 champ) Defeated Red Springs
1966 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 runner up) Lost to Andrews

1967 11-2, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 2A West runner up)Lost to Mt. Holly 2nd round
1968 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ) Lost to Hendersonville 2nd round
1969 10-2 (Skyline Conference Champ) Lost to to Hendersonville 2nd round

Coach Jug Wilson had the Green Wave rolling during the 60's for sure. The years in Bold were the years that the Green Wave went as far as they could advance, winning one of the four Regional Titles. The 1966 season was the Green Wave's first year in 2A losing a heartbreaking game 26-20 in the final seconds to Mt. Holly. Teams were allowed only 13 games that year, a first for N.C.

1961 12-0, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 4 champ) Defeated Clyde
1962 12-0, (Skyline Conference Champ/ 1A Region 4 champ) Defeated Andrews
1963 5-3, (Skyline Conference Co-Champ/ w Drexel/no playoffs)
1964 9-3, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 champ) Defeated Southern Pines
1965 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 champ) Defeated Red Springs
1966 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 1A Region 3 runner up) Lost to Andrews

1967 11-2, (Skyline Conference Champ/NC 2A West runner up)Lost to Mt. Holly 2nd round
1968 11-1, (Skyline Conference Champ) Lost to Hendersonville 2nd round
1969 10-2 (Skyline Conference Champ) Lost to to Hendersonville 2nd round
This very cool history to have. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Saw some videos on Twitter of Kaden davis he looks a little on the shorter end but stocky. Granted sometimes hard to tell from video and he is a freshman

I overlooked the question but it’s prob done been answered if you read on. Well he is tall, very tall, knowledgeable of the field and can run if need be and is hard to guard on the option. I can’t see him being a young Aaron Rogers or someone like that but he gets the job done and is improving his game without a doubt and making quicker decisions as the season has went along. He’s a guy that you can say if you’re a Draughn fan “ I’m glad he’s on our side” ha ha.

No telling what the future holds for him college wise but there is next year and if the game improves even more then some more D1 might open up
Freedom needs to keep their players and quit letting them get talked in to switching over to Draughn looks like freedom is Draughn's feeder program!!

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$ and swatz19
Freedom needs to keep their players and quit letting them get talked in to switching over to Draughn looks like freedom is Draughn's feeder program!!

Freedom doesn’t develop football players as well as they should let alone QBs. When freedom hired Little that set them back 10 years. As I stated before it doesn’t matter what schools kid choose over freedom because as with every year the past 5 years more will leave the program whether it’s in county or out. Freedom is a great place for basketball let’s just stop with the football school talk for now because we all know they wouldn’t take the game 🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

If there was discipline and development within the program at FHS kids wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. It’s that simple.
Also it's not as if FHS didn't have a transfer or two of their own. I know of at least one player there was slated to play at DHS. But I hear he transferred because he wasn't going to start in his preferred position if he stayed.

• Haha
Also it's not as if FHS didn't have a transfer or two of their own. I know of at least one player there was slated to play at DHS. But I hear he transferred because he wasn't going to start in his preferred position if he stayed.
The kids that left the program ran from competition due to underclassman out preforming them. Numbers don’t lie

Last edited:
Let’s not talk about who should/could/ supposed have been to FHS. Those young men made the best decision that they could have and now 3 years later are showing the world why.

Congratulations to all the football teams still playing football in round 4.

• Haha
When it comes right down to it I just don't care why a kid wants to move. You want to move because you want more playing time or because you don't like the coach or because you think the other program can give you more exposure or a chance to win a championship? Any or all of those reasons are fine with me. A kid and his or her parents have to figure out what's best for that kid and act on that. This is the reality that exists, and it doesn't bother me.
I think it's fine that Catholic or Cardinal Gibbons have to play 4A and I think we should have a separate classification for charters and preps to set them apart from traditional 1A schools, but transfers don't upset me.

When it comes right down to it I just don't care why a kid wants to move. You want to move because you want more playing time or because you don't like the coach or because you think the other program can give you more exposure or a chance to win a championship? Any or all of those reasons are fine with me. A kid and his or her parents have to figure out what's best for that kid and act on that. This is the reality that exists, and it doesn't bother me.
I think it's fine that Catholic or Cardinal Gibbons have to play 4A and I think we should have a separate classification for charters and preps to set them apart from traditional 1A schools, but transfers don't upset me.
High school transfer portal. One of several factors in the gradual destruction of high school sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT