ADVERTISEMENT

QB Competition Needed at Richmond County

UNCGrad2014

Nov 29, 2014
As much as I respect Coach Hoggard and even played for him, the QB spot needs to be revisited and given a long, hard look. I have been a supporter of Luke the entire season, but after watching Ziegler in the playoffs..... Does anyone else think of Tedarius Wiley? Ziegler runs the offense more smoothly IMO than Hoggard. They're both rising juniors and Ziegler isn't a secret anymore. Whether Richmond wants it or not, they now have a QB competition. Will be an interesting offseason. Fire away.

Ziegler never played QB until this year and is a big time athlete. Most would see him as a multi position player that can be used on both sides of the ball and specialties. Has never really thrown it in games so not sure how the passing game is for him. I would like to see Richmond throw it more. Thought Hoggard looked good throwing it against Scotland. When it is a set pass play he can let it rip.

Rumors are, if Hoggard starts at QB, several important players will chose not to play next year. But those are just rumors.

Originally posted by Dangerboytwelve:
Rumors are, if Hoggard starts at QB, several important players will chose not to play next year. But those are just rumors.
Charlotte is a very nice place to live. Especially the University Area. No QB issues at The Creek next year and it is always the best player plays..... Just saying :)

Regardless of who plays QB may be the team would be better off without those several players.

I realize just looking at points scored is not a true picture of how good a QB is, but it's a good reflection that he can lead a team and keep the chains moving... Luke's 42 points a game average for a first year starter beat out other first year starters....Flowers(2011) both Wiley's (06,08) all averaged 29, J Bryant(01) 27 points..... Denson (97) 34 points.... And M Thomas (87)... 23 points a game.... All the above turned out to be pretty good by the senior year.....

Competition is good... Don't think it's really needed... QB didn't hurt of this year

...rumor is get to moving then!!...don't need ya!!!

Agree! If kids do not choose to play because a certain player plays a certain position, then they do not really love the game! Respect the coach and outwork everyone else if you want to make a difference. This sounds like a parent issue versus a player issue.

All of the offenses mentioned had balance as well. Scoring PPG isn't a true indicator of a recipe for success. When Richmond's bread and butter was taken away, that was it. With the exception of Butler, Richmond isn't constructed now to come from behind if down by more than 2 scores. Competition is definitely needed, and I believe the announcement last year after the loss to NWG was bad for team chemistry. And I believe that it reached it's climax during the Millbrook game. Luke was taken out to give the offense a spark, which resulted in a TD. Why not continue with the hot hand? What happens when things go south? I saw way too many tantrums this year, and it affects not only Luke's play, but those around him. The QB needs to be the defintion of even-keeled. Maybe he just needs to mature, but when the backup is a sophomore as well, is there THAT much of a difference? I don't think so. This will be as interesting an offseason as we've seen in quite awhile in Rockingham. And hopefully Coach Arthur can get that D to looking like the ones that he coached year in and year out before he left previously.

This post was edited on 11/30 9:51 PM by UNCGrad2014

All of the offenses mentioned had balance as well. Scoring PPG isn't a true indicator of a recipe for success. When Richmond's bread an butter was taken away, that was it. With the exception of Butler, Richmond isn't constructed now to come from behind if down by more than 2 scores. Competition is definitely needed, and I believe the announcement last year after the loss to NWG was bad for team chemistry. And I believe that it reached it's climax during the Millbrook game. Like was taken out to give the offense a spark, which resulted in a TD. Why not continue with the hot hand? What happens when things go south? I saw way too many tantrums this year, and it affects not only Luke's play, but those around him. The QB needs to be the defintion of even-keeled. Maybe he just needs to mature, but when the backup is a sophomore as well, is there THAT much of a difference? I don't think so. This will be as interesting offseason as we've seen in quite awhile in Rockingham.
Good luck on the QB competition - it can only make everyone better. I do not like to hear the words "transfer" or "not playing next year" when this is a team concept. Trust me, we hear the rumors here as well and our program does not have the history that Richmond does. I hope your community can come together and have a successful season next year!

It does make everyone better. What does concern me is those rumors of not playing or transferring. Coach Hoggard preaches the team concept, so that doesn't sit well with me. Also daviekid, I now live in the Winston area now and heard that Davie County is a one high school county like Richmond County, may have to come check you guys out for a game next season.

I like to remind people that Luke was just a sophomore and a first year starter.... Doubt he was asked to win games for us.... Just asked not to lose them... I hope to see more passing in the future and think he is the right QB for us if coach calls the plays.... If all we gonna do is run 95% of the time, then he might as well play someone more athletic...

I just see a lot of fans on here acting like the decision to start Luke hurt us.... In reality, our offense was one of the best we've had in years and I'm looking forward to the next 2 years (assuming we pass a little more)

This post was edited on 12/1 1:33 AM by raiderman2001

Coaches are leaders and should always challenge players to compete and make decisions based on who puts the team in the best position to win. I thought Luke did well overall and Ziegler looked very good too. Competition is good. Either way, I believe we must implement a better, more effective passing game. That may be where Luke shines next year, but that should be determined by testing both at the position. I am not sure if Calhoun will just stay at Receiver or be in the mix for QB. Three possible candidates to lead the team on Offense.

It should be fair and balanced with the right decision made for the right reasons for each position. I will be out there supporting them. I hope the player/players are not looking at transferring or not playing. That is the coaching staff's responsibility to create a fair atmosphere for players to feel they have an oppportunity based on skill, effort, and work ethic. Then again, you always have some kids that say "unfair" based on their attitudes and false image of how good they are. Hopefully, that wil not be the case and they play together as a unit.

What makes anyone think hoggard will start passing the ball more?

Hoggard will be qb and the wheels will come off, no true competition. If there was he wouldn't have been named starter a week after the previous season.

Time to move on.

Defense! Defense! Defense! That's the problem with Richmond. They are going to need to find a defense, if they are serious about returning to grace.

Nepsy, The defense in the last game looked as if they had found their self. Hardest hitting I have seen all year. Best tacklint also. Sure they gave up 28 points but in this game it was because the offense kept putting them in the hole. 8 lost fumbles and an interception along with 5 fumbles that we didn't lose. Most of the game was played inside the Richmond 35 yard line. Late in the game the D was tired and it showed. We now need to develop some depth on defense. I remember when Barnes moved Mike Thomas to QB and Marcus Ellerbe to defense. Marcus was the offensive player of the state champion game even though he played defense most of the year. Daryl made changes which he felt would benefit the team and not one individual player. The players accepted this and although some of them didn't want to change but made the change for the benefit of the team. We would be better off if players not willing to play for the team would move on.
Heel Yes we would also be better off if fans like you that create doubt and distrust of the coaching staff by the players would also move on. 95% of the true Richmond fans support this staff and what they are doing. I also believe that most of the players also support the staff. The few that don't would help us out by not playing or transferring. I know of several area schools that would like to have a disgruntled, unhappy player to create problems on their team.

Let me see if I understand you. You outscored your opponents by 257 points this year or about three td's per game. You lost in the third round by ONE point. Now the issue is the QB. Got it....got it.... makes totally perfect sense to me. Yep...

Originally posted by Heel yes:
What makes anyone think hoggard will start passing the ball more?

Hoggard will be qb and the wheels will come off, no true competition. If there was he wouldn't have been named starter a week after the previous season.

Time to move on.
..glad to see you moving on...keep moving!

Originally posted by AREGOOD:
Nepsy, The defense in the last game looked as if they had found their self. Hardest hitting I have seen all year. Best tacklint also. Sure they gave up 28 points but in this game it was because the offense kept putting them in the hole. 8 lost fumbles and an interception along with 5 fumbles that we didn't lose. Most of the game was played inside the Richmond 35 yard line. Late in the game the D was tired and it showed. We now need to develop some depth on defense. I remember when Barnes moved Mike Thomas to QB and Marcus Ellerbe to defense. Marcus was the offensive player of the state champion game even though he played defense most of the year. Daryl made changes which he felt would benefit the team and not one individual player. The players accepted this and although some of them didn't want to change but made the change for the benefit of the team. We would be better off if players not willing to play for the team would move on.
Heel Yes we would also be better off if fans like you that create doubt and distrust of the coaching staff by the players would also move on. 95% of the true Richmond fans support this staff and what they are doing. I also believe that most of the players also support the staff. The few that don't would help us out by not playing or transferring. I know of several area schools that would like to have a disgruntled, unhappy player to create problems on their team.
Awesome post!

1. When was the last time richmond was a legitimate threat to pass the ball?

2. When was hoggard's son announced the starter?

3. Who thinks the young hoggard is the best option to run a triple option attack?

You can attack me all you want, I didn't start this thread, I didn't tell you some of the best players are quitting, and there are tons of people in the stands saying these same things. Attendance is going down and that is what will ultimately cause change. People that think the fans don't matter see the truth when they find out they were wrong. Ask shuler and Hyatt what happens when attendance tanks like it has with hoggard.

This post was edited on 12/1 7:17 PM by Heel yes

Outscoring opponents by 257 points doesn't mean that there needs to be an open completion at the QB position. How much did the QB truly contribute to the offense? Let's be real about it. If you didn't attend any of the games to see what was going on on the field, I'll find it hard to view your posts as credible. A great running game has covered up a glaring inefficiency in the Raider offense since Tedarius left, and that's that the passing game has become more icosistent by the year to the point that we may as well be a Bob Paroli offense (no offense). Balance wins championships. If you're more inclined to worry about stats, that gets you only so far, but not where you want to be. Millbrook should've lost by at least 21 if not more. I knew that we were going to be in trouble eventually with such an imbalance. If we keep Luke in there, a traditional offense would be perfect for him. The kid can throw in rhythm. He has a strong arm, but he hardly was allowed to drop straight back. It was a version of play action or rolling of the pocket. If there's no change in offensive philosophy, then Luke has to definitely prove that he's improved considerably over the offseason. It's as simple as that.

Originally posted by UNCGrad2014:
Outscoring opponents by 257 points doesn't mean that there needs to be an open completion at the QB position. How much did the QB truly contribute to the offense? Let's be real about it. If you didn't attend any of the games to see what was going on on the field, I'll find it hard to view your posts as credible. A great running game has covered up a glaring inefficiency in the Raider offense since Tedarius left, and that's that the passing game has become more icosistent by the year to the point that we may as well be a Bob Paroli offense (no offense). Balance wins championships. If you're more inclined to worry about stats, that gets you only so far, but not where you want to be. Millbrook should've lost by at least 21 if not more. I knew that we were going to be in trouble eventually with such an imbalance. If we keep Luke in there, a traditional offense would be perfect for him. The kid can throw in rhythm. He has a strong arm, but he hardly was allowed to drop straight back. It was a version of play action or rolling of the pocket. If there's no change in offensive philosophy, then Luke has to definitely prove that he's improved considerably over the offseason. It's as simple as that.
...just curious?...who was the coach when "Tedarius" was the QB in 08 and the Raiders won a state title?.....

Rhetorical question. Coaches coach, players play. You can be the best coach in the world, but you don't play between the lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT