ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Western Highlands Preview/Prediction

Mitchell county mountie

Aug 27, 2015
With the shakeup of realignment, I'm just going to give a brief preview for this year, as some of the teams are unfamiliar. I am listing them in the order I predict the team will finish.

1. Mitchell

The Mountaineers lose most of their offensive backfield, but return their star quarterback, the entire lines, and a gnarly core of linebackers, including 1st team All-State linebacker Carter Hoyle. As in years past, the conference will likely come down to Mitchell and Mountain Heritage, so for the sake of being a homer, I'm picking the Mountaineers.

2. Mountain Heritage

The Cougars return 15 seniors from a state championship appearance this year, including their QB, RB, a good core of linebackers, and linemen, along with their typical "Try and stop me" attitude. After Mitchell ended their win streak last year, in dominating fashion, look for the Cougars to be out for blood. Stay tuned...

3. Draughn

The Wildcats are coming off a respectable 5-2 season, and have an excellent rising RB in Nigel Dula. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Draughn, but I think their transition into the WHC will be acceptable in their maiden season. I dont think a top 2 spot is in the cards, but I dont see anyone else beating them this year.

4. Owen

I'm not sure what the Warhorses will bring to the table this year. I know they lost their starting QB, who seemed to be the sparkplug for last year's squad. They have been steadily improving under Coach Padgett, but have struggled with physical teams, and getting defensive stops. Owen could challenge Draughn for 3rd, but I don't foresee them knocking off either of the Toe River teams.

5. Avery

The Vikings have shown life again, under Mac Bryan, now in his 4th season as head coach up in Newland. Avery loses almost all their high powered offense from last year, but return most of their line, who with an extra year and time in the weight room, should have improved greatly from last season. While this could be Avery's breakout year to return to former glory, I don't really think so. They should give Draughn and Owen a good fight, but still coming up short to their High-Altitude brethren.

6. Madison

Oh Madison. Not much to say here. The Patriots have shot blanks for back to back seasons, and won just one game 3 years ago. Head Coach James Extine is now in his 2nd year, so hopefully he can get the program headed in the right direction. I do, however, have the Pats winning at least one game this year.

7. Rosman

The other new addition to the WHC, Rosman brings with them a slim roster full of sophomores, and a first year head coach. Coming off a winless season, and a 1 win season prior, the Tigers aren't offering a lot out of the gate. The battle for the basement should be a good game though, as Madison and Rosman have had some pretty god matchups in recent years.

With the shakeup of realignment, I'm just going to give a brief preview for this year, as some of the teams are unfamiliar. I am listing them in the order I predict the team will finish.

1. Mitchell

The Mountaineers lose most of their offensive backfield, but return their star quarterback, the entire lines, and a gnarly core of linebackers, including 1st team All-State linebacker Carter Hoyle. As in years past, the conference will likely come down to Mitchell and Mountain Heritage, so for the sake of being a homer, I'm picking the Mountaineers.

2. Mountain Heritage

The Cougars return 15 seniors from a state championship appearance this year, including their QB, RB, a good core of linebackers, and linemen, along with their typical "Try and stop me" attitude. After Mitchell ended their win streak last year, in dominating fashion, look for the Cougars to be out for blood. Stay tuned...

3. Draughn

The Wildcats are coming off a respectable 5-2 season, and have an excellent rising RB in Nigel Dula. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Draughn, but I think their transition into the WHC will be acceptable in their maiden season. I dont think a top 2 spot is in the cards, but I dont see anyone else beating them this year.

4. Owen

I'm not sure what the Warhorses will bring to the table this year. I know they lost their starting QB, who seemed to be the sparkplug for last year's squad. They have been steadily improving under Coach Padgett, but have struggled with physical teams, and getting defensive stops. Owen could challenge Draughn for 3rd, but I don't foresee them knocking off either of the Toe River teams.

5. Avery

The Vikings have shown life again, under Mac Bryan, now in his 4th season as head coach up in Newland. Avery loses almost all their high powered offense from last year, but return most of their line, who with an extra year and time in the weight room, should have improved greatly from last season. While this could be Avery's breakout year to return to former glory, I don't really think so. They should give Draughn and Owen a good fight, but still coming up short to their High-Altitude brethren.

6. Madison

Oh Madison. Not much to say here. The Patriots have shot blanks for back to back seasons, and won just one game 3 years ago. Head Coach James Extine is now in his 2nd year, so hopefully he can get the program headed in the right direction. I do, however, have the Pats winning at least one game this year.

7. Rosman

The other new addition to the WHC, Rosman brings with them a slim roster full of sophomores, and a first year head coach. Coming off a winless season, and a 1 win season prior, the Tigers aren't offering a lot out of the gate. The battle for the basement should be a good game though, as Madison and Rosman have had some pretty god matchups in recent years.
Good Stuff!

Obviously, I think Mitchell and Mountain Heritage are the two elite teams, both should do very well in the 1A West playoffs, but don't sleep on this Draughn team. I think the Wildcats are a bonafide 1A Top-10 team that will make their mark in the postseason as well.

I think Avery is probably 4th but I don't know that the Vikings have the horsepower to compete with the top three, but you never know! Owen will probably be the leader of the rest of them, but they'll get it together eventually too!

I think Avery could finish last Madison could possibly beat them I watched them 7 on 7 they look pretty bad, other than that spot on

I think Avery could finish last Madison could possibly beat them I watched them 7 on 7 they look pretty bad, other than that spot on
I take that back about Avery, they scrimmaged TJ, and Cloudland last night and from what I heard from a guy at work who is usually unbiased, they were much improved from last week

Draughn is fixing to see what it’s like to have to stop 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That Mitchell heritage game being at heritage will be a tall task for the mountaineers. If we can find some receivers and corner backs we will be ok

1-Mitchell
1-Heritage
3-Draughn
4-Owen
5-Avery
6-Rosman
7-Madison

Do Not expect any new ideas below:

Don‘t see any change at the top with Mitchell/Heritage winner coming out on top. May not be giving Draughn enough credit due to not knowing enough about them. Owen should continue to improve. Avery has lots of questions at key positions. Rosman and Madison well hope they are improving.

Looking forward to Next Friday night.

Go Mountaineers.

I take that back about Avery, they scrimmaged TJ, and Cloudland last night and from what I heard from a guy at work who is usually unbiased, they were much improved from last week
I didn’t see Avery last week to compare to, but was at the scrimmage and would rank the teams based on what I saw:
C Davidson - they were breaking off long runs on everyone most of the night, fun change of pace/misdirection offense from the typical Spread you see most everywhere else
TJ - didn’t look as strong on D as the last few years
Cloudland - think I was most impressed with this team, they don’t look like much but they brought a lot of fight, enthusiasm, and “want to”
Avery - had some good chunk gains on O, defense seemed to struggle
N Wilkes - had a few highlights but not enough, seemed to have trouble with the shotgun snap

Obviously I didn’t see every play so someone else feel free to chime in on what they saw.

I didn’t see Avery last week to compare to, but was at the scrimmage and would rank the teams based on what I saw:
C Davidson - they were breaking off long runs on everyone most of the night, fun change of pace/misdirection offense from the typical Spread you see most everywhere else
Cloudland - think I was most impressed with this team, they don’t look like much but they brought a lot of fight, enthusiasm, and “want to”
N Wilkes - had a few highlights but not enough, seemed to have trouble with the shotgun snap

Obviously I didn’t see every play so someone else feel free to chime in on what they saw.
Yeah I went thought Cloudland did pretty good

Last edited:

Cloudland would whip any of the above teams from what I saw, ACA had some athletes but hard to tell till you throw a line in front of em

Mitchell will be 1 Heritage could be 3 spot, no speed
Your are much more well connected than I am but don’t they return their 1200-1500 yard Qb from last year? While I would like nothing better than to see Heritage drop in the conference, till it happens I won’t get my hopes up. But I sure hope you are correct. Lol

Go Mountaineers

Heritage don't have a lot of speed I agree but when has that ever really stopped them from being good the past 5 years? Mainly picked them first since the Mitchell vs Heritage game is in Burnsville. It's been a while since Mitchell has won there I believe.

I'm very interested to see how Draughn does in the league. They are definitely the wildcard and will be almost like having Hendersonville back in the WHC with their speed.

Mitchell has some interesting non conference games. Playing Watauga won't be easy.

I'm very interested to see how Draughn does in the league. They are definitely the wildcard and will be almost like having Hendersonville back in the WHC with their speed
Draughn does not have the number of athletes Hendo does, not even close. Draughn has a stud young RB but overall they are a lot more like a Polk County (still solid no doubt) than a Hendersonville.

Last edited:
Draughn does not have the number of athletes Hendo does, not even close. Draughn has a stud young RB but overall they are a lot more like a Polk County (still solid no doubt) than a Hendersonville.
Not on a yearly basis, but this years team looks pretty quick. Their line will be the tell-all, whether or not they can challenge Mitchell or Heritage.

Did they hire him after he shut down East’s program?
Russell was hired at Owen after he left East, actually it all happened at the same time so something may have been in the works all along. As for when East’s varsity program was shut down for the fall season, that officially happened after their new coach arrived. But I think East probably knew soon after the spring Shelby forfeit that it would be challenging to field a varsity team during the fall season unless things improved. What is the reason(s) behind East program dropping off? There is a pretty good thread on the 2A forum from late June that discusses that.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Russell was hired at Owen after he left East, actually it all happened at the same time so something may have been in the works all along. As for when East’s varsity program was shut down for the fall season, that officially happened after their new coach arrived. But I think East probably knew soon after the spring Shelby forfeit that it would be challenging to field a varsity team during the fall season unless things improved. What is the reason(s) behind East program dropping off? There is a pretty good thread on the 2A forum from late June that discusses that.
According the the players that I had talked to it was without a doubt coaches. I’m not going to talk much about exactly what I was told but the kids were totally done and most left East for other programs.

That means this dude will probably be pretty good coach. Owen traditionally had tough kids. If they buy in he maybe what they need. Watching Owen last 5 years they had no discipline and we’re pretty talented

He is home now and I think he will do well for us if the kids buy in and don’t listen to the noise from the outside. He applied for the job when Padgett got and the kids wanted him then. Had he gotten it then I don’t think we would have had much fall off from Kenny. It took a while for kids to buy into Padgett. I think he was a good guy and good coach but we were much more talented than what was shown. We were very undisciplined. I just don’t think he got the most out of what we had. Great person though. Brint is a lot like Kenny and was Kenny’s pick to come behind him but it didn’t go that way right away. I agree that some of his previous stops didn’t show well on him but many fail to realize that when he went to Newton he won the conference when they were picked 3-5 or something like that. Yes he inherited a great program from bazzle but it wasn’t like he was picked to win state. In fact Owen had just beat Newton the year before in the playoffs in the first round. I forget the seeding but we were around a 10-11 seed and upset them at their place with Bazzle as coach so people can save the inherented team from Bazzle stuff. You still have to coach them up and put them in position to win and he did that before the wheels fell off for whatever reason. None of us truly know and we can’t fairly speculate what happened from there. His departure from I believe it was South Davidson before the season started left a stain but again we don’t know the details so…. With all that said I’m glad he is at Owen and I believe in time he will turn it around. I’m concerned with our numbers but that was a problem before he got here. We didn’t have a middle school program for 2 years and our youth league has struggled to get kids out for years so it is to be expected. He hasn’t taught a day at Owen yet so I believe he will work the halls going forward to build the program back up

Reactions: wncbowhunter
He is. He played for Kenny. He was a year ahead of me in school. He was actually on staff Jaggers last year. That’s why the kids the next couple years wanted him so bad. They liked him alot

Reactions: Mhsneer
heritage is the team to beat. They have 15 starters returning from state runner up finish in 2a.
I was quiet till I saw how we were going to play tonight, Mitchell is now the team to beat, we matched Erwins speed, and this is the best defense a Mitchell team has ever fielded, if they stay healthy and Travis keeps mixing it up who knows?

Your are much more well connected than I am but don’t they return their 1200-1500 yard Qb from last year? While I would like nothing better than to see Heritage drop in the conference, till it happens I won’t get my hopes up. But I sure hope you are correct. Lol

Go Mountaineers
I wouldn't say more well connected but I have helped coach these kids in rec mine is a senior and watched them grow up, I kept quiet till tonight I almost posted running clock last night but feared I would jinx them, I called the heritage game last year, best defense this year we have ever fielded, we gonna be hard to beat go mountaineers! And by the way how many yds rushing did that qb from heritage have in Ledger last year? It was less than 50 I'm thinking

Reactions: wncbowhunter
He is home now and I think he will do well for us if the kids buy in and don’t listen to the noise from the outside. He applied for the job when Padgett got and the kids wanted him then. Had he gotten it then I don’t think we would have had much fall off from Kenny. It took a while for kids to buy into Padgett. I think he was a good guy and good coach but we were much more talented than what was shown. We were very undisciplined. I just don’t think he got the most out of what we had. Great person though. Brint is a lot like Kenny and was Kenny’s pick to come behind him but it didn’t go that way right away. I agree that some of his previous stops didn’t show well on him but many fail to realize that when he went to Newton he won the conference when they were picked 3-5 or something like that. Yes he inherited a great program from bazzle but it wasn’t like he was picked to win state. In fact Owen had just beat Newton the year before in the playoffs in the first round. I forget the seeding but we were around a 10-11 seed and upset them at their place with Bazzle as coach so people can save the inherented team from Bazzle stuff. You still have to coach them up and put them in position to win and he did that before the wheels fell off for whatever reason. None of us truly know and we can’t fairly speculate what happened from there. His departure from I believe it was South Davidson before the season started left a stain but again we don’t know the details so…. With all that said I’m glad he is at Owen and I believe in time he will turn it around. I’m concerned with our numbers but that was a problem before he got here. We didn’t have a middle school program for 2 years and our youth league has struggled to get kids out for years so it is to be expected. He hasn’t taught a day at Owen yet so I believe he will work the halls going forward to build the program back up
For the sake of the program, I hope you are right. I keep hearing the youth league is trying to take the JV players away from the high school and there may not even be a JV team…and 3 Varsity kids quit this week? I would not be surprised if Owen does not have a varsity team next year. If that happens, history will repeat itself with the same coach. That will not be good.

I was quiet till I saw how we were going to play tonight, Mitchell is now the team to beat, we matched Erwins speed, and this is the best defense a Mitchell team has ever fielded, if they stay healthy and Travis keeps mixing it up who knows?
You know joeys like the king them boys over there are the unbeaten favorites. Common man 😉

Reactions: Purple1995
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT