ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed conferences

If you remember the rules for the 7 game season with no makeup games if snowed out for any reason. So how is it to work if some of these mountains or any teams only get In, say 5 games and others get all 7 games? The question is how will they decide the playoffs if some teams are 5 & 0 and some 7 & 0 or 5 & 2 & or 3 & 2 . Some games may not be played and NCHSAA stated no games could be made up. Crazy, but I think their intentions were to not allow spring football and just put this crap together to look like they were doing something. No football will be played till fall 2021 as I see it..... JMO..... Screwed up mess....
Ohio State

Reactions: sbbbfan and Mhsneer
The modified "modified" NCHSAA handbook says you can make up 1 game a week over the weekly maximum. So basically if you get snowed out on Friday you can play it the next Monday and it not count against the weekly maximum. This has been pretty common lately and is still allowed.

It’s still the worst ran hsaa in the south. It’s sad really. That’s not just meaning Covid. If tn, sc and ga can figure out how to have a traditional public school divisions and private/charter division then you’d think N.C. could. Going to 4 divisions without fixing the prep/charter issues is a failure. How do you with 400 kids in a rural county beat the 12 best players from Forsyth and the surrounding counties? Football will be next if mountain island gets linemen and traditional coaching staff. Again, surrounding states figured it out. Que struggles to even acknowledge there’s a problem win non traditional schools when a decade worth of titles by recruiting.

Last edited:
It’s still the worst ran hsaa in the south. It’s sad really. That’s not just meaning Covid. If tn, sc and ga can figure out how to have a traditional public school divisions and private/charter division then you’d think N.C. could. Going to 4 divisions without fixing the prep/charter issues is a failure.

Other states haven’t dealt with it either and they’re starting to get hit with what N.C. has complained about for years. Charters play with publics in those states, their private divisions are for schools that would—with the exception of the 4 parochial schools—be NCISAA here. They just haven’t had the same number of charter schools we have, but it’s coming.

Link is schedule for Drew Charter, top ranked ‘A-Public’ team in GA. They’re led by a high major recruit and just beat a good 7A Roswell team by 30...and will be in the same playoff bracket with teams like Towns County.
Drew Charter Schedule/Results

In SC, High Point Academy—charter out of Spartanburg—has won the last two Class A boys hoops titles, and Gray Collegiate—Charter out of Columbia—has won the last three AA titles. SC Boys Hoops Records

Last edited:
It’s still the worst ran hsaa in the south. It’s sad really. That’s not just meaning Covid. If tn, sc and ga can figure out how to have a traditional public school divisions and private/charter division then you’d think N.C. could. Going to 4 divisions without fixing the prep/charter issues is a failure. How do you with 400 kids in a rural county beat the 12 best players from Forsyth and the surrounding counties? Football will be next if mountain island gets linemen and traditional coaching staff. Again, surrounding states figured it out. Que struggles to even acknowledge there’s a problem when non traditional schools when a decade worth of titles by recruiting.
Can’t blame the charter situation on Que. That’s all about the legislature.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Other states haven’t dealt with it either and they’re starting to get hit with what N.C. has complained about for years. Charters play with publics in those states, their private divisions are for schools that would—with the exception of the 4 parochial schools—be NCISAA here. They just haven’t had the same number of charter schools we have, but it’s coming.

Link is schedule for Drew Charter, top ranked ‘A-Public’ team in GA. They’re led by a high major recruit and just beat a good 7A Roswell team by 30...and will be in the same playoff bracket with teams like Towns County.
Drew Charter Schedule/Results

In SC, High Point Academy—charter out of Spartanburg—has won the last two Class A boys hoops titles, and Gray Collegiate—Charter out of Columbia—has won the last three AA titles. SC Boys Hoops Records

I thought tn had them in another division

Charters yes but them playing in 1a that’s on que
She’s gotten a strong message that they aren’t to be treated differently than any other public school. I’m not Que’s biggest fan, and I agree with you on charters. But you don’t have to be a political scientist to know who is calling the shots on that issue. No for profit business should run public education. But that’s their goal. Follow the money.

I thought tn had them in another division

They have Div I for public and Div II for private. Magnets and charters are in Div I. Div II is for schools like Baylor, McCallie, Ensworth, Etc. Think Christ School and Carolina Day. Linked is the Alignment For TN. They don’t have as many non traditional schools, but you can find some Preps, Academies, and Collegiates sprinkled through Div I.

Reactions: Mhsneer
As I have said time and time again, if you vote for individuals that support charter schools and crap on your public schools over and over, you have no right to complain. You get what you vote for.

We are just hitting the tip of the iceberg with our public school crisis.

Last edited:
The modified "modified" NCHSAA handbook says you can make up 1 game a week over the weekly maximum. So basically if you get snowed out on Friday you can play it the next Monday and it not count against the weekly maximum. This has been pretty common lately and is still allowed.
That is for the regular normal season but this is what is on the NCHSAA page for the 7 game season. So I take it that if a Friday game can't be made up on Saturday then it can't be made up on a Monday with a game scheduled that Friday. And I do know games have and still can be made up in normal fall season and have been as long as I can remember but this is COVID season and nothing is normal.
Season Fast Facts:
FIRST PRACTICE | Feb 8, 2021
FIRST CONTEST | Feb 26, 2021
LAST CONTEST | Apr 9, 2021
SEASON LIMIT | 7 games
WEEKLY LIMIT | 1 game

Last edited:
As I have said time and time again, if you vote for individuals that support charter schools and crap on your public schools over and over, you have no right to complain. You get what you vote for.

We are just hitting the tip of the iceberg with our public school crisis.

why don’t the democrats expose them as the segregation they are?

Reactions: BK13T-$
Do you hear them campaigning against them. Money is the root of all evil and all political motivations on both sides

why don’t the democrats expose them as the segregation they are?
Resegregation is part of it, though not always conscious. But the bigger issue is that there is a perception that you have to make a buck for something to have value. Some things are just inherently valuable, like helping to grow productive, responsible adults.

Biggest problem is funding by adm numbers. The state has cut school funding in such a way that rural counties suffer and urban areas get most of the funding

Resegregation is part of it, though not always conscious. But the bigger issue is that there is a perception that you have to make a buck for something to have value. Some things are just inherently valuable, like helping to grow productive, responsible adults.

you don’t think that rich people are conscious of the setting up of schools in cities that are better for their children? Schools where you have to have grades, money, and/or talent to get in?

you don’t think that rich people are conscious of the setting up of schools in cities that are better for their children? Schools where you have to have grades, money, and/or talent to get in?
Sure they are. And many of those people still send their kids to private schools. More power to them. I’m just against taxpayer money going to for profit charter schools, and pretending that they’re just another form of public school.

What's crazy is Phil Berger who take in thousands from charter school organizations is pushing to make school boards partisan which has resulted in people that don't have a clue what they're doing to win elections because people don't pay attention. Onslow County had a man win that had a crazy history of racist and controversial remarks. I think this is just another ploy from Berger to destroy public schools. He knows unqualified people or people with the same mindset as him will infiltrate out schools.

School board elections should never be partisan. I do however think that if you’ve ever been a principal that should preclude you from running until you’ve been retired for 5 years

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
School board elections should never be partisan. I do however think that if you’ve ever been a principal that should preclude you from running until you’ve been retired for 5 years

I think most local offices should not be partisan, if not all. What does party have to do with register of deeds? Especially school boards though should not be partisan. Not a bad thought on the principal idea. I haven't seen many principals run though. I'm sure it happens in small areas more than anywhere. I know Elkin just elected a former principal but I think he retired in the 90s.

Charters are an issue and as they get larger and larger and move into the higher 2A/3A and 4A ranks will eventually become less comfortable and begin to pressure the NCHSAA and DPI to regulate all these transfers and ability for these less regulated schools to get student athletes from within 25 miles. It makes no sense to see a charter school be able to have a wrestling team, soccer team or whatever sports with players from 3-4 counties and all mostly high level players.

In regard to the WHC, if they were to drop Owen, Madison, and Polk, and pick up Draughn, TJ, and Rosman, that would make a straight 1a conference, with 6 teams, with little change in travel times. The longest 2 travel times would be Rosman and Avery (about 2.5 hours on a bus), and Rosman and Draughn (about 2 hours on a bus). Pretty much equivalent to travelling to Murphy, Robbinsville, or Swain from Rosman. I am however, quite giddy that Mountain Heritage has joined the 1a ranks. Epic playoff games are on the horizon...

In regard to the WHC, if they were to drop Owen, Madison, and Polk, and pick up Draughn, TJ, and Rosman, that would make a straight 1a conference, with 6 teams, with little change in travel times. The longest 2 travel times would be Rosman and Avery (about 2.5 hours on a bus), and Rosman and Draughn (about 2 hours on a bus). Pretty much equivalent to travelling to Murphy, Robbinsville, or Swain from Rosman. I am however, quite giddy that Mountain Heritage has joined the 1a ranks. Epic playoff games are on the horizon...
Is that on the table for the second draft? Not knocking it but I heard Draughn could be going to a straight 1A conference with Cherryville, Highland Tech and Bessemer City, which I would prefer because it would definitely mean Burns wouldn’t be with them. I would prefer a straight 2A or at least something other than the first draft. Burns and Shelby don’t need to be playing Highland Tech in football and I hope the first draft is changed.

Rosman also doesn’t want to be in a conference with TJ https://www.blueridgenow.com/story/...adline-voice-concerns-adjustments/6593971002/

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
The second draft ended up being Rosman, Draughn, Mountain Heritage, Mitchell and Avery as 1A schools and Owen and Madison as 2A schools. So you were pretty close.

I prefer the NW Split we were in the first time due to more non conference games but honestly this works pretty well too. This is more or less the conferences we were in when I played JV ball minus Starmount and East being flipped. That was a pretty fun conference so I'll take it. MVAC has gotten away too long being unchanged when everyone else wasn't.. it's only fair. MVAC 2A 2021 will be a solid conference though.

Northwest will be amazing this fall if this goes.. MA will be good but so will Starmount and East Wilkes. There will be parity though in that league and some good gates as a result, everyone wins there. First time East Surry hasn't been in the Northwest since 1966 or 55 years.

WPAC in this draft looks a lot better.. West will get better gates thanks to the Rockingham schools. Them and HP Andrews will be a fun series. Walkertown and North Forsyth will have better matchups to their athleticism. Bishop gets put in a weird spot with Carver and WS Prep. Looks like they will have a ton of non conference and Forsyth co games. Wouldn't be surprised if the state does like they did with the 3 Ashe schools in 1997 and make them play each other the last 3 weeks for that conference.

Ashe is still in with Watauga and the Caldwell schools.. I was hoping they'd get moved to the Iredell league but no dice. Poor Atkins by the way.. they will have a rough few years with Dudley and all them.

Reactions: realjoejr
Very happy with Thomasville in the split 1A and 2A conference. Hope it stands as is.

OC, I agree and think it will help the Dogs in all sports. Looking forward to the 1A move for the Bulldog Nation and I like the small split 1A/2A local conference which offers many more pros than cons. Gives the Dogs so much flexibility while maintaining local rivals.

- Small league helps with the scheduling of non-conference opponents.
- Secondary sports can improve, be more successful and grow rosters.
- Football, Basketball, Wrestling and Track will do very well in this conference and compete for conference, regional and within time state titles.
- Conference gates should be pretty solid for the Dogs in primary sports. ED, WD, SD and Lexington are good natural rivals and bring a pretty good crowd.
- Ledford, OG, ND and CD are still close, offer good competition and solid gates to fund the program.
- The current 9/10/11 grade classes are athletic, work hard and coachable kids. Middle school continues to send quality kids up so I see nothing but positives and great opportunity at THS with this realignment. The positive impact it will have on the student body, teachers, community and local support will be huge also.
- THS has a quality coaching staff right now that works together sharing, building, training and supporting the student athletes. We must keep our best coaches, teachers and admin staff in place and continue to grow our academic standards, parent participation, community support and expectations!

Win, Win for the Dogs!

I like the conference layout for the NW but really I would've been fine either way as a 1A or a 1A/2A Conference. I know people over at West Stokes are not happy right now. The MVAC looks good too. Maybe West Stokes can appeal to be put in the MVAC idk. But I know they are not happy right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT