ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed conferences

I hope they will drop the rule of the top seed in a split gets an automatic playoff berth. Require them to finish top 3 to be automatic. Eastern Randolph, Mountain Island and Bishop would get an automatic bid no matter what.

In other conferences you'll have 2 teams fighting for a berth. Carver and Prep in their conference. TJCA and Rosman in theirs.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Not perfect, but maybe best case scenario for Thomasville. If there are only three 1A teams in a conference, can two make the playoffs? If not, the Thomasville vs. North Rowan game will be huge every year.

I think the top team in a split league deserves an automatic bid-but not a number 1 seed if they are seeding teams the way we used to.

I think the NCHSAA is looking for at going towards using predetermined playoff brackets based on what they are doing for the spring.

I think the top team in a split league deserves an automatic bid-but not a number 1 seed if they are seeding teams the way we used to.

I think the NCHSAA is looking for at going towards using predetermined playoff brackets based on what they are doing for the spring.

No team that is the only school in their classification playing a sport in their conference deserves an auto bid imo.

If it stays I'd say that's a win for Thomasville. Will be some decent gates at least.

Not a bad conference for Thomasville. Limited travel and good gates with local schools. Keeps that Salisbury and Lexington rival going also. I thought they might have place another 1A in the league. S Davidson better improve real fast or it will be a very long four years in football.

Im glad the MVAC will stay in tact with the addion back of Forbush and getting all the Surry teams together is a great move to. Ashe however going 3A will hurt in football and basketball the only team you can point to and see a win in football is South Caldwell outside of that boy a tough road......

I hope they are finally out of the SMC, you can't drive to Rosman from this end of the state.
Hahahahaha.... Just think about the Rosman fans.... Multiple trips over the mountain each year while the other teams in the SMC only have to drive it once every other year..... LOL

I miss the old Appalachian Conference!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
I think this will still be the Northwest Conference 1A-2A
In football, each football school will only have 5 Conference games sense Millennium Charter has no football team yet but I hear it is in their future. That should give them 4 non-conference games plus 1 endowment game. Looks good to me. Not much of a change since all but MC played each other in conference and non-conference. Good to be rid of the Forsyth Co. schools ! Should be all good gates.
Millennium Charter (1A)
Mount Airy (1A)
North Stokes (1A)
South Stokes (1A)
East Surry (2A)
North Surry (2A)
Surry Central (2A)

Last edited:
I still can't believe this is real.. we've all struggled for it for 6/7 years to get out of the WPAC but we had to deal with it. Past 2 years have been rough with NF coming in making things too loaded it was going to have to change.

I'll definitely take these lineups though; the old NW was fun as could be back when I played and 2012 was a fun year too we never should have left. Every school was making oodles of money and there was solid parity (heck even North Stokes had a solid offense in 2011/12 and had 2 all state kids,) it's a shame what matchups and money we could had in the 7 year stretch we couldn't have. But it will be for the best of the Surry schools to do this. Central could be quite good in 2021; so will MA, we will be in the thick of things, and then there's East. South will be solid as long as Dave stays.

MVAC wise Forbush getting added will help that conference a ton in terms of parity and quality. They will be really solid the next few years and with Funderburke there he knows how to win in that conference but they will have to beat Starmount, East Wilkes, and Wilkes Central. Elkin and Alleghany will be the ? marks. For Elkin If the JV kids coming up could do decent like last year they have a shot but it will be hard to replace these seniors they will lose. Alleghany will I think reach their peak in 2021 when this junior class are seniors; they are good sized and run a killer ball control offense for 1A. Just gotta get better on defense. West and North Wilkes will have a rough go unless the new guys get them going.

The Stokes/Forsyth conference will be interesting.. looks like it will be West/Walkertown's conference to lose unless North Forsyth gets over it's drama and Carver wakes up. Them moving to 1A is what they've needed honestly for 4 years. They were a year too late in 2016 to go down; if they had been in the Northwest the past few years they wouldn't have been as bad they woulda beat South and North Stokes in those 2 dire years of 17/18. The new guy has his work cut out for him but the #'s game will be more equal in that split conference. West got a break here actually; they will do well here in this conference plus they could keep their rivalry games with MA, East, and us. Win/win for them.

I do feel bad for Ashe; I honestly wasn't expecting them to be 3A at all. I'm sure they will challenge it but I don't think they could win. NCHSAA tried this 20 years ago to them as well but they had a lucky spot to go in the MVAC as SC went to 1A and West Stokes didn't want to have to play West Caldwell and Hibriten and got out.. this time it's way more full. If they do win I just hope it doesn't mess the lineups up.. they got it much better I'd hate to see it ruined.

As for out of area that Shelby conference will be brutal for Highland Tech.. won't be surprised if their lowest scores for Shelby vs them will be 65-0. Poor Atkins as well.. they will be lucky to make it 4 years. The state woulda done them better by putting them with Central Davidson.

I think this will still be the Northwest Conference 1A-2A
In football, each football school will only have 5 Conference games sense Millennium Charter has no football team yet but I hear it is in their future. That should give them 4 non-conference games plus 1 endowment game. Looks good to me. Not much of a change since all but MC played each other in conference and non-conference. Good to be rid of the Forsyth Co. schools ! Should be all good gates.

I've heard they don't want to play Football.. at least I hope not. It'll take Millennium a while to get going as it is anyways; if they can't beat home school teams they sure can't beat North Stokes at anything.

I love the 5 conference game setups honestly; it'll allow us to keep rivalry games and schedule more area teams we don't play much. I'm hoping we get to play East Wilkes or Starmount or McMichael or someone we haven't in a long time (we've never played East Wilkes oddly.) It'll present more money making opportunities for all of us in 2 years we couldn't make in 3 years with the Forsyth schools.

Forbush being the MVAC will help them make more money too. Them vs Starmount, Elkin, and Wilkes Central will bring them solid gates.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Forbush might get kicked to conference 34 or 36.

I want to see Ashe go 3A and I have a lot of respect for Payne, but I've seen this game before.
Ashe can appeal, but they won't win a reclassification appeal (the classes are set and that's a done deal for at least 2 years). If they appeal to switch conferences, where else do you put them? The NCHSAA isn't going to make a 1A/2A/3A split conference. In 2 years, that's a different story. I could see them petition to move back down to 2A at the mid-cycle point, citing lower ADM, lower Wells Fargo standing, possible change in ISP. There have been plenty of schools to do this in the past (recent examples that come to mind are North Forsyth dropping from 3A to 2A and South Stokes dropping from 2A to 1A a few years back).

Reactions: realjoejr
Even with dropping a game, it's not going to be easy for SMC teams to fill out a schedule if Rosman goes away. They would have the back half of the schedule for conference and five open dates to fill at the beginning of the schedule. Not an easy thing to do in the far western tip of NC.

Ashe can appeal, but they won't win a reclassification appeal (the classes are set and that's a done deal for at least 2 years). If they appeal to switch conferences, where else do you put them? The NCHSAA isn't going to make a 1A/2A/3A split conference. In 2 years, that's a different story. I could see them petition to move back down to 2A at the mid-cycle point, citing lower ADM, lower Wells Fargo standing, possible change in ISP. There have been plenty of schools to do this in the past (recent examples that come to mind are North Forsyth dropping from 3A to 2A and South Stokes dropping from 2A to 1A a few years back).

My understanding is they can still appeal classification.

I saw the other day that I think it was West Iredell was appealing theirs.

Even with dropping a game, it's not going to be easy for SMC teams to fill out a schedule if Rosman goes away. They would have the back half of the schedule for conference and five open dates to fill at the beginning of the schedule. Not an easy thing to do in the far western tip of NC.

That's true, but I imagine some will still play Rosman non-conference.

it’ll be a race to schedule Rosman for non conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT