ADVERTISEMENT

Postell resigns at Tuscola.

bamatide13

Dec 26, 2006
What is the future of program and what needs to happen? Totally meant as a dialogue and feedback session. No secret, this current situation is not working and will not work in the future. Not totally on the Coach, this goes from the Central Office Administration, School Board, and Administration at Tuscola. There is enough blame and responsibility to go around. Don't make it personal. Dialogue session. Fire away.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealityRulz
I think the only choice that can be made at this point is there must be a total house cleaning from the top down. Things are obviously continuing to get worse by the day at Tuscola, just heard yesterday that there was an incident at a property near last Friday nights home game with one of yall's running backs Dads getting roughed up very BAD and very wrongfully by the WPD by an officer/s who are under command of someone who is related to THS principal who has it out for running backs Dad in a real bad way. Don't know if it's true or not, because I wasn't there but it wouldn't surprise me at all. This has got to end guys. What's wrong with y'alls community over there? But, then again this is the same Waynesville community that did just vote in all of the people who want to bring in more hobos and drugs and crime and turn Waynesville into the transient infestation mecca of WNC. So, what the hell do I know? Lol. Really hope something happens because I'd love to go to Frog Level Brewery again someday and have a good beer or maybe even go have a coffee from Panacea... But, I won't dodge needles and tweeked out zombie droolers on the sidewalk to do it. Fix problems like these and your program will begin to fix itself, just my opinion. Anyways, get it together mounties.

Last edited:
Cant argue with any of these observations or statements. Truthbombs all the way..
Far cry from my Tuscola and town I grew up in.:(

Reactions: PisgahCatamount07
The incident you spoke of is true. I watched it unfold .The apartments in the end zone are not school property? The dad is banned from being on school property after several incidents at games /practices/etc. he was setting on the back porch watching the game with binoculars as he was against north Buncombe with no problems. This whole train wreck starts at the top Lotta quid pro quo going on . The dad in ? Deserves to be banned from all activities regarding football but this time he was innocent. Who reported him? Someone had to ? The administration isn’t totally at fault though I posted last year this group of parents were totally out of control even fighting amongst themselves at 1 ballgame . Lotsa of language hurled at refs that young kids and adults dont want to hear. Are all this way ? No but a certain core group rules the roost. I have no kid playing no relatives on the team I am just a fan that is embarrassed by what is going on at Tuscola also the administration and the product that is put in the field on Friday nights.

You have to feel bad for the players involved in this. They deserve the best efforts from the administration on down.

Is it that bad in the program as far as coaches and players go or are expectations unrealistic from fans? I use to live up that way and some of the fans that I met are delusional to think that Tuscola should compete for state titles every year. I think the community got spoiled a little bit with the talent that came through the school during the Keifer era. That type of talent doesn't walk the halls in the mountains year in and year out especially in that area. I think some people that post on here just have it out for coaches and want something to complain about. If people supported the current era as much as they complained you might be surprised at what could happen. That's just my opinion and doesn't mean much. Go Mounties! #FULLSUPPORT

Don't "We" want Austin Chambers back? He was one of us, loved THS and the kids, played college ball in Cullowhee and Boone and was a great coach.

But he was forced out by [TT and MB/Jubal] who teamed up to concoct a false narrative. Why?

Are "We" suggesting [TT] and [MB/Jubal] are arils? (Hint: Use your anagram analysis skills)

Exodus 23:1 "You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. Hey [TT] and [Jubal], God is watching.

Do we need a house cleaning or house cleansing ?

"We" met in the Woods last weekend and built a huge fire. Guess what we threw in the fire? We threw the Parents' Petition demaning the hiring of JTP into the fire. Never again will "We" let that happen again.

Shouldn't "We" prepare for new man to have dual responsibilities - head football coach and AD?

Shouldn't "We" form a committee to search out, interview and decide on best candidate? Then get out of his way and let him coach?

Reactions: Mavrick69
Don't "We" want Austin Chambers back? He was one of us, loved THS and the kids, played college ball in Cullowhee and Boone and was a great coach.

But he was forced out by [TT and MB/Jubal] who teamed up to concoct a false narrative. Why?

Are "We" suggesting [TT] and [MB/Jubal] are arils? (Hint: Use your anagram analysis skills)

Exodus 23:1 "You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. Hey [TT] and [Jubal], God is watching.

Do we need a house cleaning or house cleansing ?

"We" met in the Woods last weekend and built a huge fire. Guess what we threw in the fire? We threw the Parents' Petition demaning the hiring of JTP into the fire. Never again will "We" let that happen again.

Shouldn't "We" prepare for new man to have dual responsibilities - head football coach and AD?

Shouldn't "We" form a committee to search out, interview and decide on best candidate? Then get out of his way and let him coach?
I don't know that Chambers is the answer, it's probably not wise to hire another coach which the players "loved", that's what got us into this situation to begin with. Go outside the program and get a young coach with a tough reputation and experience. Tuscola isn't an easy place to coach so you can't hire a lame duck with no experience which will be overwhelmed from the beginning. I would look to Franklin possibly, or someone who might want to stay for a long while with roots in the area and not a band-aid rebuild coach whom is a stop gap to another hiring process 5 years down the road. I don't pretend to know the issues with administration, I do know that the Principal and AD also played at Tuscola and I'm sure they care deeply about the program so the hope is that they are willing to do a legitimate coaching search in the off-season.

Hopefully both are gone and new principle makes choice
I think it's hard to believe that they would change either of those positions seeing as they just placed them there last school year, unless they voluntarily step down. Furthermore, doesn't the school board ultimately make the hire.

IMO, a great deal of the problem at Tuscola starts with the superintendent. Dr. Garrett allowed McDonald to remain as principal for 8 years. He was by far the worst principal in Tuscola history. Dr. Nolte chose the current principal knowing that he had never been a principal previously. Working in the IT department and being the transportation director should not be the career path to be a principal. Pisgah's last two principals were principals at the elementary level before being promoted. The school board merely rubber stamps the superintendents choice. I don't have my hopes up that any changes will be made based on the past behavior of Haywood County Schools leadership.

What's so wrong with the current staff?? Why the sour grapes??

With all due respect, that is the worst coached team in Tuscola history, no emotion from staff, fundamentals of team are awful, problem solving skills are zero. After two years, we still do not have have an offense. Why they scrapped the triple option offense I will never understand. Why have an offense averaging over 30 points a game and scrap it for 'select an offense' for the week formula. I agree with some other posters, great guys, they just can't get it done. I have seen the program since the early 70's and this is the worst prepared team I have ever seen and in my opinion, and the worst coaching staff we have ever had. For whatever reason, they do not mesh or something internally is going on, just a guess. What sucks, is they are all pretty good dudes that mean well for the program. Name me one game they have outcoached anyone? It was tremendously embarrassing to name the field after a great coach like Doug Brooks last Friday and he had to watch that s*** show. It is beyond embarrassing to the kids and the fanbase. So if you haven't seen a game, I wouldn't comment on that, because you basically have no clue what you are talking about. Trying to be above board here, but Mr. Nole wants the truth button pushed.

Mr. Nole, we have the Willie Taggart situation going on in Waynesville. Everyone is in over their heads. No one expects us to beat Reynolds every year, just maximize what you have. No rookie coach will do that. We need to go outside the area and hire a guy that has coached for twenty years and has a proven record for winning. Haywood County is were first time and Daddy ball coaches go to die. We have both right now. The real problem is the Administration never wants to hire someone not from around here, who understands the rivalry, ie, they want to hire someone they can control and will kiss their asses so they will have to do as little a possible. So, no it is not all the Coaches fault, because they shouldn't have been there to start with. All that said, the head coach is a solid guy and a great representative for the program and the school. But as a head coach, you have to be actually capable of doing that too. That crap may be disguised and fly at Enka, but not in Haywood County. That is a fact.

It’s hard to believe we didn’t score on offense in the last 8 quarters with the juggernaut offensive schemes we have been producing the last two years. I know it is tough against those historically defensive powerhouses of Erwin and TCR.

Reactions: 91ths
Can you make a thread just like this for us next? Hell just post the same stuff and change “tuscola” to “Asheville” and it’ll suffice
Every school (that does not recruit) will have down seasons. Asheville WILL win again. We all know this as sure as anything. Demographics can not be denied. The talent WILL come back around. Who knows? Maybe next season or so. Tuscola on the other hand, the situation is a bit more bleak. Here is my take on that topic: There are those who believe talent to win the next super bowl is walking the halls at Tuscola right now, if only a coach could be found to put it all together. Someone from outside the area. They had one of the best that ever has coached in NC, and still most of them were not satisfied. You should have heard some of the stuff he endured while he was here. The game has passed him by, too old, this and that, etc. Fact is, I am not convinced with this team that any coaching staff would have improved on the 4-7 record. Or had any chance at all of beating the only team these people actually really care about beating....Pisgah. The offense was getting most of the criticism, and it was anemic to say the least. But the defense was no better, giving up 30 and 40 points a night does not make for anything better than 4-7....If that. While there are problems at Tuscola I would suppose, the biggest problems are not in the coaching, the admin or the damn school board. The same board also is responsible for the Pisgah program lest we forget. I would suggest one of the biggest obstacles is over expectation of the athletic capability available at THS... And as has always been, a sense of entitlement with minimum or no investment. Those two things are never compatible.

When they do the realignment year after next and Tuscola is part of the (then) Mountain 7, and our game will be more than just a national rivalry, and it's moved back to it's original date (because of conference play), THEN things should change for the Mounties. I wouldn't expect much till then though.

Whoa you don’t think pursley/Chappell/Robinson could have done better? Coaching makes a less talented team more competitive. I’m not delusional enough to think Tuscola was gonna win a state title this year or ever! But I do know that with good coaching and good fundamentals you give your team a better chance . We lacked both desperately! I don’t buy that any coach could not have done better.

Really hate hearing this about how far Tuscola has fallen.. I remember back in 2009 when Burns came up there for a 2nd round playoff game... Thought it was one if the coolest atmospheres for a high school football game I had been too.. Nestled perfectly in the mountains

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Whoa....you are ill minded to believe that a good offensive coach could not have done better, the conference was as bad this year as I can ever remember, those opportunities don't come often. And, yes the same school board made a good, quality hire with Chappell which they seem to have a hard time doing with THS. Politics and parents have always been an issue at Tuscola as long as I can remember. Keep in mind that these two schools in Haywood are both coaching the very same demographics in my opinion, there is very, very little difference at all. The only difference is the guy in charge on the sidelines and how the best players will play regardless of what moms and dads expect.

Look what happened at Brevard. Pretty much same demographic as Waynesville in my opinion. Brevard hires a coach out of Georgia. 3 years later they are in the 4th round of the playoffs and damn near beat Reidsville. So coaching has a lot to do with it. That and parents shutting up and just enjoying watching their kid play.

With all due respect, that is the worst coached team in Tuscola history, no emotion from staff, fundamentals of team are awful, problem solving skills are zero. After two years, we still do not have have an offense. Why they scrapped the triple option offense I will never understand. Why have an offense averaging over 30 points a game and scrap it for 'select an offense' for the week formula. I agree with some other posters, great guys, they just can't get it done. I have seen the program since the early 70's and this is the worst prepared team I have ever seen and in my opinion, and the worst coaching staff we have ever had. For whatever reason, they do not mesh or something internally is going on, just a guess. What sucks, is they are all pretty good dudes that mean well for the program. Name me one game they have outcoached anyone? It was tremendously embarrassing to name the field after a great coach like Doug Brooks last Friday and he had to watch that s*** show. It is beyond embarrassing to the kids and the fanbase. So if you haven't seen a game, I wouldn't comment on that, because you basically have no clue what you are talking about. Trying to be above board here, but Mr. Nole wants the truth button pushed.

Mr. Nole, we have the Willie Taggart situation going on in Waynesville. Everyone is in over their heads. No one expects us to beat Reynolds every year, just maximize what you have. No rookie coach will do that. We need to go outside the area and hire a guy that has coached for twenty years and has a proven record for winning. Haywood County is were first time and Daddy ball coaches go to die. We have both right now. The real problem is the Administration never wants to hire someone not from around here, who understands the rivalry, ie, they want to hire someone they can control and will kiss their asses so they will have to do as little a possible. So, no it is not all the Coaches fault, because they shouldn't have been there to start with. All that said, the head coach is a solid guy and a great representative for the program and the school. But as a head coach, you have to be actually capable of doing that too. That crap may be disguised and fly at Enka, but not in Haywood County. That is a fact.

When he was hired didn't the coach say he was gonna leave the triple option offense intact? What happened?

It’s been a long 2 year train wreck ! Hopefully it will end soon.

parents shutting up and just enjoying watching their kid play.
Those "proud" dad's that "know" football and mastered the game "back in the day" and for some reason or another know more than any coaching staff can do more damage than they realize. Ego's of yesteryears does way more harm than good. Grown men should leave those egos at home, it ain't about them.

Whoa you don’t think pursley/Chappell/Robinson could have done better? Coaching makes a less talented team more competitive. I’m not delusional enough to think Tuscola was gonna win a state title this year or ever! But I do know that with good coaching and good fundamentals you give your team a better chance . We lacked both desperately! I don’t buy that any coach could not have done better.
neuman, I am not suggesting you or anyone else is delusional. I do remember the only losing season in Pursley's career was at Tuscola. (which I do consider him a first rate leader and coach and he caught more than his fair share of flak at THS even so.) His first year's THS squad was much like this one in terms of talent. (His last was close as well) Every JV team he had in his career would have beaten that team, and half of them would have beaten the 2016 team. That is scary to me. Coaching is important, but coaches dont play the games. I wont go into the deficiencies of this team but they were many, which was plainly evident in the 5 or so games I saw. Some play calls were head scratchers, to be sure, but it could be because they were limited to plays they could at least execute, IDK. Tuscola needs (IMO) to ditch the spread. They just dont have the people to run it, now or in the future. They may benefit to run an offense similar to MT Heritage's system or go back to the double wing. Again my opinion. I believe they would at least shorten the games a bit if nothing else.

Reactions: GG4BAMA
"Keep in mind that these two schools in Haywood are both coaching the very same demographics in my opinion, there is very, very little difference at all." Except for one BIG difference.. The front door at Tuscola is 9 miles away from the front door at Pisgah. And a lifetime. The demographics are similar, the attachment to the area is not. I can count on both hands and one foot, the number of Tuscola fans....Generational fans with no kids that regularly attend Tuscola games in any sport. Down the road, this is not the case, EVERYBODY is a Pisgah fan, not just a Jimmy Johnny or Suzie fan. They attend the games even though they dont even know the kids that are playing. In Waynesville people are just not that invested in the school or the community. That makes a difference. How big I really dont know, but it has to have an impact in the quality somewhere down the line from fund raising to enthusiasm and participation. JMO.

Postell spent time with coach Robinson this past summer trying to learn the cougars offense . He started out the first 2 games trying to implement it with little or no success. Each week brought a different offense before settling on 1 the last 3or4 games. That aside each game brought it’s own amount of hilarity at the lack of fundamentals . Fumble snaps / stupid penalty’s/ ejections / complete play call failures at the worst time/ defense continually wondering where they should line up and who they should cover. Different fans ? I don’t know ? But it’s been my experience you win fans show up you lose they don’t ! Only this years team was so woefully prepared most dedicated fans couldn’t bare to watch it ! No matter how you spin it this years team was an embarrassment to the loyal fans of Tuscola and I for one put it squarely on the coaching staff and administration .

Sounds like ya'll need to hire a proven offensive coach and DC. Plus hit the weights like nobody else does to develop the strength and speed to make average athletes better. Then you compete. Good luck! Tuscola is a great place to be especially if you beat Pissgah!

Sounds like ya'll need to hire a proven offensive coach and DC. Plus hit the weights like nobody else does to develop the strength and speed to make average athletes better. Then you compete. Good luck! Tuscola is a great place to be especially if you beat Pissgah!
So I guess that means it's not been a great place to be the last seven years.

When he was hired didn't the coach say he was gonna leave the triple option offense intact? What happened?

Quote from article from David Thompson in AC-T on February 14, 2018:

"Postell gained the confidence of former coach Pursley over the last four years, who lobbied hard for him to be his replacement.

"I've had a lot of great influences and coaches around me," Postell said. "He (Pursley) brought so much to this program, and things that I look to build upon."

Postell said he has no plans to shake up the coaching staff, but will add assistant athletic director Joey Robinson to the sideline as a running backs coach. He won't touch Tuscola's patented triple option offensive formation, but Postell said he'd like to implement a stronger passing game."

So I am guessing he said what he wanted to get the job. It would be very hard for me to change an offense that the kids know how to run that averages 30 points a game. The defense has improved, but you can't leave them on the field for 80% game and expect different results.

"We" had that article for several years. "We" thank RealityRulz.

Isn't that a "Liar, Liar, pants on fire" moment for JTP? Sad, very sad. RealityRulz solved the anagram … arils = liars

If you lie once, what does that make you? A Liar?

Once a head coach, AD, assistant coach and principal lies and the players know it, the fans know it … hasn't he or they lost all trust? Does that reveal character, or the lack of character? Is that the reason [TT, Jubal/MB and JTP] pushed Austin Chambers out?

Is this correct? In four seasons under TP, his triple option offense, which JTP promised to keep, averaged 32.4 points per game. In two seasons under JTP, who promised to keep the triple option, has averaged 18.4 points per game.

Isn't 32.4 points per game better than 18.4 points per game?

"We" don't trust [TT, Jubal/MB, SH and JTP] and issue a NO vote of confidence.

source.gif
giphy.mp4

I’ve already heard that the leading name being thrown around is the athletic director! He’s a huge part of the existing problem! People in waynesville need to step up and complain to the school board and central office and get this principal removed before it’s to late. Tuscola can’t afford to lose anymore good coaches and teachers because of his incompetence!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT