ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Randolph at South Stokes

Chute Boxe Hero

Aug 11, 2005
Before I begin, I just want to say that the real MVP of last night's game was the South Stokes AD. That man got on the mic and laid down the law. He and Coach Thomas saved the contest from being suspended. More on that later....

I got to South Stokes around 5:00. I thought I was going to be slick and get a nice, cushy spot up front. Man, I was wrong. When I pulled in the parking lot, the line was already about 150 deep. I don't even want to know what the line looked like when I finally entered the door.

When I entered the gym around 5:45, the South Stokes fans already had 3/4's of the gym almost full. There were a block of seats reserved for ER fans and Saura fans were already spilling over into them. When this game started, both endlines were completely covered in people. They were standing three-deep under one goal. If a fire had broken out, we'd have been screwed.

South Stokes comes out and plays a magnificent first half. Everybody's getting involved and it seems like they're hitting everything in sight. The Sauras are also playing excellent defense and forcing quite a few turnovers. Ethan Moran, Barry Hairston, and Isiah Lash are showing out for SS. Behind the play of Timmy Brower, Devonte Brooks, and Jani Norwood, ER is able to keep things within reach. At the break, the Sauras led 45-36.

ER comes out of the locker room and starts to creep back in it. The Cats fall back into a zone which throws SS a little out of rhythm. Timmy Brower starts to take over. He's got the mid-range working, hits a couple of threes, and is getting to the foul line. Before you know it, the Cats have wiped out the Saura lead and are leading by one. However, the Sauras, behind Hairston and Lash, promptly go on a run of their own and push their lead back to seven. Then, behind Brower and Pierce Leonard, ER gets rollin' again and cuts the lead to 55-53 just before the end of the third.

Then........crap hits the fan. An ER fan and SS fan get into it over on the ER side and have to be restrained. Seconds later, another ER fan and SS fan get into it and I really thought punches were going to fly. Quite a few people are thrown out on both sides of the aisle. With the way emotions were flying, it had a chance to get REAL UGLY. After the South Stokes AD got on the mic and settled things down, play resumed.

As the fourth quarter begins, Pierce Leonard jumps in the phone booth and turns into Superman. He comes out and flat takes over. He hit at least two threes. He's also getting to the cup and setting things up for Devonte, Jani Norwood, and Julian Brooks. He's also also using Norwood's screens as a very effective weapon. ER takes a 61-57 lead.

SS quickly erases that lead and ties it at 61. The teams begin to exchange back and forth like Gotti and Ward. With the score tied at 71, ER makes the play of the game. They steal a pass, go the length of the court and get a bucket. SS comes down and tries to get a good look at a three......but just can't get the look. They miss and ER rebounds.....but....ER steps out of bounds. With .3 seconds remaining. SS does get a quick look from the corner but the three attempt is airballed and not in time. ER survives 74-71.

Absolutely amazing performances from Timmy Brower and Pierce Leonard. Brower really hit the boards hard that second half. So did Jani Norwood. Norwood had some huge rebounds, free throws, and putbacks tonight. To come into a hostile, intense environment and come away with the W (after being nine down at the break) really speaks volumes about this team.

The Sauras just couldn't keep up their stellar play. They seemed to move a little slower and shoot a little colder in the second half. They also didn't hit the boards as well as they did in the first half. SS also left quite a few points at the foul line tonight.

Good, good team those Sauras. Hairston and Lash really gave ER fits with their length. I really liked the play of Larson Gallimore. He's SS's lunchpail guy. He played some great defense and pulled down some tough, tough rebounds.

To whomever is in charge of the music at South Stokes, I just want to say......THANK YOU. It was beyond refreshing to hear positive, uplifting music being played. It gets tiresome hearing songs about shooting guns, slinging crack, and strippers/prostitutes. Once again, thank you.

As the fourth quarter begins, Pierce Leonard jumps in the phone booth and turns into Superman. He comes out and flat takes over. He hit at least two threes. He's also getting to the cup and setting things up for Devonte, Jani Norwood, and Julian Brooks. He's also also using Norwood's screens as a very effective weapon. ER takes a 61-57 lead.

SS quickly erases that lead and ties it at 61. The teams begin to exchange back and forth like Gotti and Ward. With the score tied at 71, ER makes the play of the game. They steal a pass, go the length of the court and get a bucket. SS comes down and tries to get a good look at a three......but just can't get the look. They miss and ER rebounds.....but....ER steps out of bounds. With .3 seconds remaining. SS does get a quick look from the corner but the three attempt is airballed and not in time. ER survives 74-71.

Absolutely amazing performances from Timmy Brower and Pierce Leonard. Brower really hit the boards hard that second half. So did Jani Norwood. Norwood had some huge rebounds, free throws, and putbacks tonight. To come into a hostile, intense environment and come away with the W (after being nine down at the break) really speaks volumes about this team.

The Sauras just couldn't keep up their stellar play. They seemed to move a little slower and shoot a little colder in the second half. They also didn't hit the boards as well as they did in the first half. SS also left quite a few points at the foul line tonight.

Good, good team those Sauras. Hairston and Lash really gave ER fits with their length. I really liked the play of Larson Gallimore. He's SS's lunchpail guy. He played some great defense and pulled down some tough, tough rebounds.
The person on the mic was actually our principal.....our AD is the head coach of the boys team. GREAT atmosphere all night long and wish nothing but the best for ER moving on!!

Up next.........Bishop McGuiness. At........parts unknown.
That's where this guy lives
Ultimate Warrior 80S GIF by WWE

Before I begin, I just want to say that the real MVP of last night's game was the South Stokes AD. That man got on the mic and laid down the law. He and Coach Thomas saved the contest from being suspended. More on that later....

I got to South Stokes around 5:00. I thought I was going to be slick and get a nice, cushy spot up front. Man, I was wrong. When I pulled in the parking lot, the line was already about 150 deep. I don't even want to know what the line looked like when I finally entered the door.

When I entered the gym around 5:45, the South Stokes fans already had 3/4's of the gym almost full. There were a block of seats reserved for ER fans and Saura fans were already spilling over into them. When this game started, both endlines were completely covered in people. They were standing three-deep under one goal. If a fire had broken out, we'd have been screwed.

South Stokes comes out and plays a magnificent first half. Everybody's getting involved and it seems like they're hitting everything in sight. The Sauras are also playing excellent defense and forcing quite a few turnovers. Ethan Moran, Barry Hairston, and Isiah Lash are showing out for SS. Behind the play of Timmy Brower, Devonte Brooks, and Jani Norwood, ER is able to keep things within reach. At the break, the Sauras led 45-36.

ER comes out of the locker room and starts to creep back in it. The Cats fall back into a zone which throws SS a little out of rhythm. Timmy Brower starts to take over. He's got the mid-range working, hits a couple of threes, and is getting to the foul line. Before you know it, the Cats have wiped out the Saura lead and are leading by one. However, the Sauras, behind Hairston and Lash, promptly go on a run of their own and push their lead back to seven. Then, behind Brower and Pierce Leonard, ER gets rollin' again and cuts the lead to 55-53 just before the end of the third.

Then........crap hits the fan. An ER fan and SS fan get into it over on the ER side and have to be restrained. Seconds later, another ER fan and SS fan get into it and I really thought punches were going to fly. Quite a few people are thrown out on both sides of the aisle. With the way emotions were flying, it had a chance to get REAL UGLY. After the South Stokes AD got on the mic and settled things down, play resumed.
It might be time to go back to neutral sites when it gets to the semifinals. Not a good thing with fans that close to the court.

To whomever is in charge of the music at South Stokes, I just want to say......THANK YOU. It was beyond refreshing to hear positive, uplifting music being played. It gets tiresome hearing songs about shooting guns, slinging crack, and strippers/prostitutes. Once again, thank you.

First you’re and outstanding hs sports fan! I don’t disagree on the music, but I tend to think it should be more on what the kids want to hear and not us older folks

First you’re and outstanding hs sports fan! I don’t disagree on the music, but I tend to think it should be more on what the kids want to hear and not us older folks
Our kids wanted the music and chose the music.......and are a great representation of what most of us are missing now a days. They have been an inspiration to so many, and they are glad that they can up lift some people during their great season. ITS ALWAYS about the kids!!

Our kids wanted the music and chose the music.......and are a great representation of what most of us are missing now a days. They have been an inspiration to so many, and they are glad that they can up lift some people during their great season. ITS ALWAYS about the kids!!

I never said your kids didn’t want that music. But many schools and kids don’t

Reactions: SouthPigsty
I enjoyed the music also and the advantage of home Court you get to choose

Great play-by-play calling. I almost felt I was there. :)

Thank you. As for the music.......I don't necessarily disagree with you either. I want the kids to be hyped up. I just have a hard time believing that today's kids still think some of that stuff is cool (especially when some of those songs are 15-20 years old). I was just happy at the change of pace. Gets old hearing the same stuff all the time (especially when it's negative).

If you need a certain type of music to get you hyped....then go do something else. I never needed music to get me hype to compete. You don't have music playing during the games.

If you need a certain type of music to get you hyped....then go do something else. I never needed music to get me hype to compete. You don't have music playing during the games.

Shoot, I need music or I can't complete my gym workouts lol

So, ER and Bishop Saturday afternoon in......Morganton??!! Heck, I would've settled for RJ Reynolds. I love that gym.
Some complain about the drive, others complain about the limited capacity. 4A West is a prime example. All the Charlotte crowd moaned and groaned for 3 days before the sites were selected fearing they would have to drive 90 whole minutes to McDowell or Freedom. Instead, they get a 1,500 capacity gym in Charlotte that sold out within 5 minutes and the moaning and groaning continues, can’t have it both ways. As you can tell, the large gyms of freedom and McDowell are not sold out and everyone can get in today to see those matchups.

Additionally, when McDowell hosted the 4A west last year, the joint wasn’t even half full.

Why would they play 4A West anywhere other than Charlotte. All 4 schools are Charlotte schools?
Because Charlotte doesn’t have HS gyms big enough to hold regional final crowds. Same reason Charlotte schools traveled to Winston Salem or Greensboro (which both are the same distance as Freedom or McDowell) for regionals in the past.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Because Charlotte doesn’t have HS gyms big enough to hold regional final crowds. Same reason Charlotte schools traveled to Winston Salem or Greensboro (which both are the same distance as Freedom or McDowell) for regionals in the past.
I still see no reason for 4 Charlotte schools to travel to McDowell or Freedom.

I still see no reason for 4 Charlotte schools to travel to McDowell or Freedom.
Just depends if you want everyone to be able to get in to see the game. If not, then Charlotte is the place. You get to a regional final, a 90 minute drive shouldn’t deter you from attending. Heck, most schools in WNC especially 1A, that’s an average Tuesday night away game trek.

Just depends if you want everyone to be able to get in to see the game. If not, then Charlotte is the place. You get to a regional final, a 90 minute drive shouldn’t deter you from attending. Heck, most schools in WNC especially 1A, that’s an average Tuesday night away game trek.

Until Rosman left the SMC the schools routinely had 2-3 hour road trips in every sport. Poor Rosman had several each season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT