ADVERTISEMENT

Post Scores from 10/5 here

Swain with everyone healthy and on the field are still underdogs against Robbinsville and Murphy. Not saying Swain can't win because you can't ever count out a Swain football team but the odds are against it.
I agree. Swain has always shown up but after watching them and having watched Murphy & Robbinsville I just don’t see it happening this year. It’s just a unusual season for Swain something they are not accustomed to. Not bad mouthing Swain at all with all their great history just my opinion. I could see Murphy & Robbinsville winning over Swain by 40

I respect your opinion on your team and I could say something’s about Andrews but it would just be making excuses. Of all the years I’ve watched the SMC that has to be the least of all the great Swain teams I’ve watched over 40 some odd years. They had the smallest amount of players I’ve ever seen, they were big on the line but not your typical fire off the line with strength. Not aggressive and playing on the edge. The Qb was the only back with speed and i’m comparing speed to what Murphy & Robbinsville has. I realize your team is young just like so many others in the conference and it was a well played game with good sportsmanship. After watching the game I can see now how Hayesville almost beat you but it threw me off how you beat Cherokee. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Never count us out of any game. (Rosman,Murphy or Robbinsville still on the schedule). Still have something to prove. Notice how wildcat10fan said our qb is the only back with speed. Obviously it was evident that 22 was not playing at full speed last night. He is arguably the quickest / fastest back in conference. But not when food poisoning is a factor and vomiting on the sidelines.

Not knocking your opinion. I would actually agree on your assessment last night. We had several with sickness symptoms last night.

Not knocking your opinion. I would actually agree on your assessment last night. We had several with sickness symptoms last night.
It’s all good. Great respect for Swain and I don’t have a child playing so I can give a honest opinion. It does make a difference when kids are not sick but in times past Swain would just be next man up with the numbers they have and never miss a beat. I’ve watched Sain from youth on up and he is a great runner with a bright future. If people recall I actually picked Swain at the start of the season to win it. But with the season they have played so far I really don’t see a upset this year against Murphy or Robbinsville and don’t overlook Rosman. But that’s why you play the game.

Reactions: Swaindad40
Anyone know RBs rushing yardage last night. My friend said 200 but i was thinking more like 130.

Robbinsville had right at 500 yds of offense (490).
388 yds rushing
102 yds passing
Anderson had 136yds on 18 carries(3tds)
Hooper had 108 yds on 11 carries(2 tds)
This young line is not so young anymore. They are now dominating.

Brett wasnt in the SMC.
Travis is 3rd smc behinnd the Cherokee kid.

Brett wasnt in the SMC.
Not sure.. Rosman has been in and out of the SMC at various times. I know McCracken and Chappell met in the playoffs in 91 and 92 and Robbinsville won both games. We beat Rosman in the Western regional Championship in 92

Can anyone explain why there is NO mention of Kurt Odom in NCHSAA record books? He is not even listed in the rushing yards although he would rank very high in them

Brett wasnt in the SMC.

Sorry to correct you Bk13T-$, but Rosman rejoined the SMC in 1993 when Chappell was a Senior....Of course, Chappell and McCracken went head to head in the 1992 Western Finals at Big Oaks Stadium in a game won by your Black Knights who also won the state title that year....

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Odom 5600 yds
McCracken 5219 yds
Anderson is averaging about 130 yds a game for his career.. Record is in reach.

Correct.. I think Brett Chapell , Langston Woods and Randy Mosteller all had over 5000 yds

5000+ is serious yards! I think the Swain record is 4000 just because the type of offense (veer) that we run. I believe Rocky Deitz is the record holder. Johnny Buck Mitchell probably second with about 3400 yards. Not sure if anyone is in between these two.

5000+ is serious yards! I think the Swain record is 4000 just because the type of offense (veer) that we run. I believe Rocky Deitz is the record holder. Johnny Buck Mitchell probably second with about 3400 yards. Not sure if anyone is in between these two.
This has always confused me dad..I've really never understood this statement about the veer and not getting any yardage..You still play on 100 yd field. If anything the veer offense passes less than most offenses.. Great backs will get their yardage unless in a pass first offense...Most scoring drives avg 70 tds..Do you say this because of a slow pace and backs get less carries in the veer? Everyone knows that Robbinsville offense is one of the slowest paced in the state normally

I vividly remember stan pamfilis of wlos saying " bring a tractor, bring a truck, you just cant stop johnny buck" Ah, the good old days....

Excellent question and I can only provide my experience in this offense. In a split back veer set, Swain is typically looking at dives with no lead blockers. It is a physical style of offense and can be physically punishing for defenses and the running backs and quarterback. The quarterback is reading the defensive end and if he collapses on the back the quarterback pulls the ball from the back then reads the next man to either keep the ball or pitch it. So in this example this is a team rushing attack and it can be very physical and limits the amount of touches a back could potentially have. Not to mention running backs on dives are getting tackled even if they don’t have the ball. They have to sell it that they have the ball. If the defense takes away the dives then the quarterback keeps it or pitches it. So it limits the amount of sweeps a running back has. So the quarterback may have a significant amount of carries. Last option is to pitch the ball so rarely will a running back get a lot of pitches on outside runs. If it is a pitch their is no lead blocker. So running backs have to be a special breed in this offense. They are going to get hit almost every play regardless if they have the ball. So historically Swain typically has to sub their running backs more and normally they run less plays with this type of offense.

Excellent question and I can only provide my experience in this offense. In a split back veer set, Swain is typically looking at dives with no lead blockers. It is a physical style of offense and can be physically punishing for defenses and the running backs and quarterback. The quarterback is reading the defensive end and if he collapses on the back the quarterback pulls the ball from the back then reads the next man to either keep the ball or pitch it. So in this example this is a team rushing attack and it can be very physical and limits the amount of touches a back could potentially have. Not to mention running backs on dives are getting tackled even if they don’t have the ball. They have to sell it that they have the ball. If the defense takes away the dives then the quarterback keeps it or pitches it. So it limits the amount of sweeps a running back has. So the quarterback may have a significant amount of carries. Last option is to pitch the ball so rarely will a running back get a lot of pitches on outside runs. If it is a pitch their is no lead blocker. So running backs have to be a special breed in this offense. They are going to get hit almost every play regardless if they have the ball. So historically Swain typically has to sub their running backs more and normally they run less plays with this type of offense.

But Sain and Lossiah have as many carries as anyone in the conference? There are plenty of opportunities to get the yards.

Last edited:
Bust Sain and Lossiah have as many carries as anyone in the conference? There are plenty of opportunities to get the yards.

Good point - anyone would think that but when your running our offense with no passing game we face 9-10 in the box every play. I would dare Teams to put 7-8 in the box and see what happens with our running game. We beat Cherokee completing one out of three passes. We beat Andrews and Hayesville completing three passes each game. If we get our passing game going then it would open things up more for the running game.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Swain 39-0 over Andrews.
It was a night of adversity for Swain tonight. Fullback and linebacker goes down with back problems in pregame. Then our starting running back and free safety was sick the entire game. Evidently we had several boys sick from a pregame meal. Dang spaghetti.... Glad subs played well and our qb carried the weight. It was just one of those nights. Glad we were not playing Robbinsville or Murphy tonight it would have gone a different way. Andrews boys played hard and were exhausted when Swain subbed beginning of 4th quarter.

Swain played “next man up”...I’m sure swain’s only ( the fastest/quickest) running back in the SMC was not the only player to eat the spaghetti. I believe I watched on maroon devils network the quickest and fastest running back in the SMC got ran down from behind...must have been the spaghetti...swain’s has other talent on the team other the one RB/FS and a QB...I can assure swain has other talent...if the RB coach and offensive coordinator would get their head out of the clouds and they don’t change anything then we don’t have a chance at winning the next three games...if any of the three teams can pass across the middle of the field we are toasted. As for Andrews, they played hard and will improve and will be a handful in the years to come...Hats off to the “Wildcats”. As for the QB, he needs to learn how to read the defenses and get out of bad plays...maybe audible to a pass when they stack 8-9 in the box....And quit fumbling. He has to have 12-15 fumbles. The only reason he has been successful is on busted plays and defense has not accounted for a busted play. As for the veer, QB needs to learn how to run it instead of keeping it every time. Teams will get smart and just have the “read” just take the QB. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatDad312
Sorry to correct you Bk13T-$, but Rosman rejoined the SMC in 1993 when Chappell was a Senior....Of course, Chappell and McCracken went head to head in the 1992 Western Finals at Big Oaks Stadium in a game won by your Black Knights who also won the state title that year....

Are you sure about that? I know Rosman was in the SMC in 1992....

I know Chappell and McCracken were neck and neck throughout the 93 season and Brett had the better final game of the season.

Swain played “next man up”...I’m sure swain’s only ( the fastest/quickest) running back in the SMC was not the only player to eat the spaghetti. I believe I watched on maroon devils network the quickest and fastest running back in the SMC got ran down from behind...must have been the spaghetti...swain’s has other talent on the team other the one RB/FS and a QB...I can assure swain has other talent...if the RB coach and offensive coordinator would get their head out of the clouds and they don’t change anything then we don’t have a chance at winning the next three games...if any of the three teams can pass across the middle of the field we are toasted. As for Andrews, they played hard and will improve and will be a handful in the years to come...Hats off to the “Wildcats”. As for the QB, he needs to learn how to read the defenses and get out of bad plays...maybe audible to a pass when they stack 8-9 in the box....And quit fumbling. He has to have 12-15 fumbles. The only reason he has been successful is on busted plays and defense has not accounted for a busted play. As for the veer, QB needs to learn how to run it instead of keeping it every time. Teams will get smart and just have the “read” just take the QB. It’s not rocket science.

Nobody said that’s the only talent on this team. Get your facts right because you sound sarcastic towards my post. I have been fighting on here and carolina preps for the last three years that Swain has more talent than just one player. As for getting caught from behind tell me when this boy ever got caught from behind over the last ten years. I bet you can count it on one hand or just a 2-3 fingers. Where is the school pride? We should be glad he is on this team? Have you not watched the games this season? Do you think we would be where we are right now without him? I have never had food poisoning and had to play a game. But I assure you that when I had it that I would not be able to run or play a game. We had several boys effected on Friday and several puking and dry heaving. Enjoy watching the remaining games this season!

As for the other feedback I would happen to agree on some points. But you need to support these kids and what they are doing. They are improving. I would not put all of that on the young qb. He may not have been taught to do so just yet. He is a sophomore and this is his first season as a qb. The offensive coach needs to teach him how to read defenses and when to do things. As for reading the veer or option plays he needs to focus on the read man and read that man. Keeping it simple. Time and experience will help. But as a team when the defense adjusts to that play call then it’s time to switch up the formation or run a different play. Perhaps even throw a pass here or there which will help the running game.

Last edited:
Nobody said that’s the only talent on this team. Get your facts right because you sound sarcastic towards my post. I have been fighting on here and carolina preps for the last three years that Swain has more talent than just one player. As for getting caught from behind tell me when this boy ever got caught from behind over the last ten years. I bet you can count it on one hand or just a 2-3 fingers. Where is the school pride? We should be glad he is on this team? Have you not watched the games this season? Do you think we would be where we are right now without him? I have never had food poisoning and had to play a game. But I assure you that when I had it that I would not be able to run or play a game. We had several boys effected on Friday and several puking and dry heaving. Enjoy watching the remaining games this season!

As for the other feedback I would happen to agree on some points. But you need to support these kids and what they are doing. They are improving. I would not put all of that on the young qb. He may not have been taught to do so just yet. He is a sophomore and this is his first season as a qb. The offensive coach needs to teach him how to read defenses and when to do things. As for reading the veer or option plays he needs to focus on the read man and read that man. Keeping it simple. Time and experience will help. But as a team when the defense adjusts to that play call then it’s time to switch up the formation or run a different play. Perhaps even throw a pass here or there which will help the running game.
Man there just seems to be so much dissension on this team..just follow some of the parents and kids on social media .It's outrageous. I know for a fact that current players from Swain are contemplating coming to Robbinsville and/or Smoky Mountain next year... Serious enough that parents have approached the school systems.

Man there just seems to be so much dissension on this team..just follow some of the parents and kids on social media .It's outrageous. I know for a fact that current players from Swain are contemplating coming to Robbinsville and/or Smoky Mountain next year... Serious enough that parents have approached the school systems.

I have not seen or heard anything......
Of course I am not a Facebook or instagram or Twitter person. What is the cause of this “dissension”? I know that we as a community need to support the players and team as much as possible. I was very proud of the Swain fans at the Cherokee game. I feel our boys responded to that support. Maybe more support of these young men will go a long way.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT