ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah / Tuscola

Mountaineer1972

Jul 17, 2018
Kings Mountain
Let me start out by saying I know and understand the hate you can have for another school or program. Growing up in Kings Mountain, I was taught at a young age never to trust a grad from Shelby High School. To this day I still have some of those same feeling. When I grew up and did some coaching my self, I coached and another school that could not stand the sight of there rival. I have seen many fights in parking lots and all over town when these two school got close to each other. I married a girl from Pisgah and knew of there rivalry with Tuscola but now I am starting to understand just how much you people do not like each other. Can Haywood County ever get along. I think not. Would love to hear some of the stories of these two teams over the years.

Reactions: Mopar forever
we don't hate each other except when we play each other in any sport. I have several people from Waynesville that I consider good friends worked with them for years. It's nowhere near as bad as what it used to be. Years ago you never had anything to do with each other. We have had, bomb threat, fights, vandalism from both sides..Now you see some kids from both towns running around together. Something we never saw when I was growing up.
It's the greatest rivalry in the state. The half and half is bigger than some other teams make on a game. Fourteen thousand people two years ago, several thousand standing.Some who moved away take their vacation to attend this game. others only attend one game a year and this is it. When you walk into the stadium you feel the electricity and the noise from the fans can be heard miles away. The players on both teams leave it all on the field. They know this is the game they will tell their kids and grandkids about. It's for bragging rights in the county. a lot of money lost and won on this game.
Been some great games over the years.We played twice in 73.Bears won the first game 35-0.Tuscola beat us 16-6 in the playoffs. That was the first time since both schools were formed that Tuscola won.In 74 Tuscola beat us 12-7. then, in the playoffs, we tied 13-13 but Pisgah advanced because of more rushing yardage.

Reactions: esah2212
Next Friday will be my first time attending this game. Add it to Kannapolis v Concord, Freedom v E Burke (very diminished now), Page v Grimsley, HP Andrews v Central (diminished), and Scotland v Richmond, Crest v Shelby, Huss v Ashbrook (diminished) for my big rivalry games I have attended.

This is actually a bucket list of games to go see. The Crest vs Shelby games are always outstanding and 2years ago at Shelby was one of my favorite games of all time.

Next Friday will be my first time attending this game. Add it to Kannapolis v Concord, Freedom v E Burke (very diminished now), Page v Grimsley, HP Andrews v Central (diminished), and Scotland v Richmond, Crest v Shelby, Huss v Ashbrook (diminished) for my big rivalry games I have attended.
All great games, the biggest I have ever seen is in Texas, my brother lives in Odessa so of course he had to Take me to a Permian/Lee game, I have never seen anything like it, but I still take the Haywood County game as my favorite due to the atmosphere, and the quality of football being played, 99% of the time it is a really great game to watch, no matter the team records.

Reactions: PBBear51
All great games, the biggest I have ever seen is in Texas, my brother lives in Odessa so of course he had to Take me to a Permian/Lee game, I have never seen anything like it, but I still take the Haywood County game as my favorite due to the atmosphere, and the quality of football being played, 99% of the time it is a really great game to watch, no matter the team records.

Been to Ratliff Stadium but not a game there. Been to games at Southlake Carroll and Allen.

Reactions: esah2212
Get there early to get a seat. Gates open at 4:30. Make sure to get plenty of 50/50 tickets. Two years ago, the winning fan took home over $19,000.

Can't remember the year it was. Tuscola beat Pisgah at Pisgah. Tuscola stormed the field. Their players and students started tearing up the grass at midfield. Pisgah folks came out of the stands on that one. That got pretty ugly.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick

This game has also been on my bucket list for a long time, so my brother and I plan on making the short trip up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway on Hwy 215 to watch the game and of course participate in the 50/50 drawing....Takes me about an hour to reach the stadium, and the drive is always refreshing which will be nice next week with summer temps returning!

Btango, First time I have got to watch the game myself (rather than work at it) in 10 years. This I am looking forward to as well. As another poster mentioned, come EARLY. That's good advice. Either be an early bird or be prepared to stand on a very cramped sideline struggling to get a good view. As for the game, it is one that you really cant predict, sometimes the best team doesnt win (THS in 2015 and 2016 can attest to that and Pisgah took several losses over the decades when they had the better team) No matter who wins, (or who wins that ridiculous half and half pot) I believe you will enjoy the experience, and will leave Canton with a memory you will be glad you witnessed. Let us know what you think.

Usually I am coaching on the day of this game, one day I hope our bye week falls on it so I can travel on over and take it in...and hopefully win the 50/50 raffle.

Reactions: Swo_05 and PBBear51
Hard to beat this game, I used to think Richmond vs Scotland in the 80's, 90's was the best rivalry, I was wrong!

we don't hate each other except when we play each other in any sport. I have several people from Waynesville that I consider good friends worked with them for years. It's nowhere near as bad as what it used to be. Years ago you never had anything to do with each other. We have had, bomb threat, fights, vandalism from both sides..Now you see some kids from both towns running around together. Something we never saw when I was growing up.
It's the greatest rivalry in the state. The half and half is bigger than some other teams make on a game. Fourteen thousand people two years ago, several thousand standing.Some who moved away take their vacation to attend this game. others only attend one game a year and this is it. When you walk into the stadium you feel the electricity and the noise from the fans can be heard miles away. The players on both teams leave it all on the field. They know this is the game they will tell their kids and grandkids about. It's for bragging rights in the county. a lot of money lost and won on this game.
Been some great games over the years.We played twice in 73.Bears won the first game 35-0.Tuscola beat us 16-6 in the playoffs. That was the first time since both schools were formed that Tuscola won.In 74 Tuscola beat us 12-7. then, in the playoffs, we tied 13-13 but Pisgah advanced because of more rushing yardage.

Not even close to the biggest rivalry in the state

Share your facts (if you have any) on any other regular season high school football game in the state that has 14k people in attendance each year ole wise one.

These teams are horrible. It's In the sticks where no one has anything to do but go to football game. Looks like most just came out of the woods and forgot to shower. That is called football to you all, looks like backyard redneck playing tag. All white hillbillies playing ball. Y'all enjoy that hot mess LoL. Wouldn't attend that game if you paid me to go.

Scotland Richmond
Crest Shelby

These teams have so much more talent then this hillbilly wrestling match. The stands look nice and a ton of people. But only because it's in the middle of the woods and no one does anything on Friday night but go watch highschool ball I guess LoL. The talent level is sooooo bad in the mnts. All white teams looks like to me. Kinda wild in today's world

You sir are pathetic. Throwing a race card into a conversation that you obviously can't participate in intelligently. Typical crackhead from Jacksonville. Get a life

Jacksonville ? I don't live there. But you want to throw jokes around LoL crackhead? I live in Raleigh NC and own a doctor office. Yes i did graduate from SWO and so did my two sons, who sir I put through college? But I'm a crackhead, sir you are laughable. Stay in the mnt with the highest rate of metheads and women beaters and sex offenders if you want LoL. I bring my family up there once a year to a vacation cabin my son owns. We don't even go out into town because of the problems listed above. We love the woods and sunsets in the mnts. But boy would never live there. To each own I guess

Jacksonville ? I don't live there. But you want to throw jokes around LoL crackhead? I live in Raleigh NC and own a doctor office. Yes i did graduate from SWO and so did my two sons, who sir I put through college? But I'm a crackhead, sir you are laughable. Stay in the mnt with the highest rate of metheads and women beaters and sex offenders if you want LoL. I bring my family up there once a year to a vacation cabin my son owns. We don't even go out into town because of the problems listed above. We love the woods and sunsets in the mnts. But boy would never live there. To each own I guess
If you are indeed a doctor (which is questionable), that makes you even more pathetic in your inability to carry on an intelligent conversation without resorting to racial slurs. Makes me very suspicious as to who exactly the medical boards are allowing to practice. Your last name must be Frankinstein.

Nobody that owns a doctors office is that bad of a writer. It looks like a 14 year old kid wrote this

If you are indeed a doctor (which is questionable), that makes you even more pathetic in your inability to carry on an intelligent conversation without resorting to racial slurs. Makes me very suspicious as to who exactly the medical boards are allowing to practice. Your last name must Frankinstein.

Racial slurs? By stating the facts shown on the tape you posted? But carry on mountain man. Hope for a safe game to all

Racial slurs? By stating the facts shown on the tape you posted? But carry on mountain man. Hope for a safe game to all
Would not have taken a PhD to made your point without; "The talent level is sooooo bad in the mnts. All white teams looks like to me. Kinda wild in today's world".

Would not have taken a PhD to made your point without; "The talent level is sooooo bad in the mnts. All white teams looks like to me. Kinda wild in today's world".

Okay we both love highschool football. Just telling it like I see it. I've seen games all throughout the southeast and mountain football is by far the worst in NC. Small school with a few good skill players. Granted these teams play hard and havr hard noise kids, but the talent is not there. Just IMO better rivalry games with more talent is all im saying. But take it how you want.

Much better
Opinions are like noses, we all got one.
Why are you up so late Dr?

New granddaughter is sick. Double ear infection and my son is traveling for work, so trying to give his mother a break LoL perks of getting old, I guess.

Raleigh? LMAO!!!!! Dr Kevorkian......

Reactions: Dogthathunts
You guys come here to vacation. That should tell you something. Everything between the mountains and the coast is trash. I wouldn't live there for nothing. We live in God's country up here. People want to live here. The flatlands are very depressing to live in unless you do not know any better. Yes you have more quality football players because of demographics alone. The funny thing is you act like Canton and Waynesville are on the middle of nowhere. Both are only 30 min or so from Asheville. Like I said keep your ugly land and pine trees and we will enjoy our beautiful mountains.

Reactions: 91ths
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT